Bring Back the Barn!

I wasn't even aware that this was a thing, being a latecoming KSP player... But it would seem to me that the game has bigger issues to tackle than 'whether there's a barn or not'... I come across this kind of thing a lot playing indie betas; The devs start strong with a good platform and scope, then they are sidelined by the community who expect a finished 'looking' product over the top of completely unfinished mechanics. I wouldn't care if it was a placeholder box with 'Jebs Barn' written on it, provided that the actual gameplay mechanics were being refined and bugs were being ironed out (I mean even the game engine is not optimised for modern PC's with more than one core and 4GB of RAM FFS making the mid-game near unplayable on the most common platform).

But... I'm a 'function over form' kind of guy.

I wasn't even aware that this was a thing, being a latecoming KSP player... But it would seem to me that the game has bigger issues to tackle than 'whether there's a barn or not'... I come across this kind of thing a lot playing indie betas; The devs start strong with a good platform and scope, then they are sidelined by the community who expect a finished 'looking' product over the top of completely unfinished mechanics. I wouldn't care if it was a placeholder box with 'Jebs Barn' written on it, provided that the actual gameplay mechanics were being refined and bugs were being ironed out (I mean even the game engine is not optimised for modern PC's with more than one core and 4GB of RAM FFS making the mid-game near unplayable on the most common platform).

But... I'm a 'function over form' kind of guy.

When the response to a suggestion thread is something along the lines of "There's more important stuff to finish first!" it seems to me that the responder doesn't understand a basic principle of the suggestion forums:

This is a place to discuss things we would like to see sometime in the future if the developers have the time/patience/inclination.

MANY of us take part in MULTIPLE suggestion threads that we feel are worthy of discussion and do not feel the need to step into other suggestions and say they are unimportant. Nobody here is saying "Bring this feature out first at the expense of all other features." If you have suggestions for things you would like to see added, changed, or removed then feel free to search the forum for a similar thread and add your voice there or create a new thread if there is not an existing topic for the one you wish to add to.

YES, there are some more optimizations that need to be done (they are working on those and have been for quite some time, but Unity has a few issues THEY need to work out first before Squad can make some of the fine-tuning adjustments many of us would like).

As for being unplayable on a modern PC? I'm running a PC with an AMD Phenom II X6 processor and 16 GB of RAM, KSP runs rather well once I take into account that there are issues with my specific processor and Unity. I just have to run the game with a single launch option enabled. You wouldn't happen to be trying to play the 64-bit version of the game, would you? Unity only recently got their engine working with 64-bit, so KSP is understandably a bit behind in that area.

Back to the matter at hand, there WAS a barn already. Some people thought the textures were bad (possibly even horrible), and they were probably right because those textures weren't finished yet. These problems were seen in a development state and were NOT released to the public, only shown during (I believe) SQUADCast. People complained, a LOT. The barn was pulled from development, never finished, and now we have a series of rather bland buildings in our career games when we could have had a funny little barn. Because a vocal group got it pulled while the rest of us were not paying attention, we are here to add our voices to the call to bring it back (finished, of course).

The discussion to bring back the barn in no way detracts from the discussions to improve other aspects of the game. KSp has been in an Alpha state for a number of years now, and has only just reached the Beta stage where it will be for an unknowable amount of time. Squad is not in a hurry to 'finish' the game, so there is no call to worry about them dropping the ball now.

You're probably right, maybe implying that this suggestion is fickle at best isn't really the go.

Back to the matter at hand, there WAS a barn already. Some people thought the textures were bad (possibly even horrible), and they were probably right because those textures weren't finished yet. These problems were seen in a development state and were NOT released to the public, only shown during (I believe) SQUADCast. People complained, a LOT. The barn was pulled from development, never finished, and now we have a series of rather bland buildings in our career games when we could have had a funny little barn. Because a vocal group got it pulled while the rest of us were not paying attention, we are here to add our voices to the call to bring it back (finished, of course).

I was actually more referring to ^this fact: that there was a barn, and it got removed and replaced due to community pressure, to be (talked about) being reimplemented later, which in my mind is backwards and not progressive (unless it was breaking the game in some way)

Yes, I'm a 64bit Linux user, and my game is perfectly playable, thanks. By a modern PC I was of course referring to a 64bit machine running either of the 'standard' OS's.

Yes you can play it to an extent, but it's in no way utilising the full capabilities of the machine. I know this is likely to be fixed. I'm getting a handle on the unity saga.

Anyway, so there's people here that are for the barn, there's people here that are against the barn, and there are people here who don't give a toss about the barn... I'm in the third camp. I'm sure it's great when there's a barn, but it's not breaking the game for me.

Edited by KerBlam
farm frenzy

No, the barn isn't a huge issue. I just think it's an amusing bit that helps tell the story of who the Kerbals are and what they are like. I have my own ideas of what they are like as a species, as I'm sure many people do. I'm also certain there are people that don't give a crap who the Kerbals are, they want modern looking buildings and a realistic Spaceflight sim. I choose to believe that Harvester has an idea of who they are and what they are like and the barn plays into that. KSP is about rockets and orbital physics and all of that, but it's supposed to be FUN and often funny as well. If I didn't like Jeb, Bob and Bill as much as I do, more of my rockets would be crazy designs that are as likely to destroy KSC as they are to reach orbit. Instead I prefer crazy rockets that reach other orbital bodies but are in NO way practical for a real space agency, and to me THAT is exactly what KSP is about.

I am hoping those Win64-bit issues get fixed because I currently run on Win 7 64-bit and would LOVE to make full use of my PC's power. As it stands, I can play the game rather well, until I get too many mods adding too many extra parts combined with conflicts tossing in NaNs and NullRefs.

But hey, the game is still Beta Than Ever. :P

Definitely with you on this not being at the top of the priority list. Mainly its that I'm an architect and I geek for this stuff, and yeah^ getting into that sense of story makes for more a immersive sense of fun.

Anyone old enough to remember this video?

Oh 90's. <3

Edited by Pthigrivi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Am I the only one that dislikes the barn because well, come on... It's a barn. I mean, it's a game in development, the quality that it showed at the time was to be expected, and people overreacted. To put it bluntly, and this may be harsh and get me some mean responses, but I just think it will be stupid looking. I appreciate the silliness in KSP very much so, but for me this is too far. I would never want to do careers anymore, and if I do, only to give myself enough funds so that I can skip right over that silly stage.

So, I propose this: I am very welcome to the idea that maybe there's an alternate, abandoned, "origins of our space program," space center relatively nearby that you can visit. This is where you would see that barn and the whole idea that they showcased originally. Hey, maybe that can even be incorporated in to contracts. Pilgrimage sort of missions, maybe more, the potentials are limitless.

Nonetheless, I just do not want that in my careers. My opinion has nothing to do with quality of assets. :cool:

Edited by Prototype516

I don't care even a little about the "barn" we were shown.

Here's a very relevant images of a "barn" for a company that just launched a sub-orbital flight… almost to space. Very kerbal.

blue_originpic9.jpg

Doesn't look super rustic, just bare bones.

I don't care even a little about the "barn" we were shown.

Here's a very relevant images of a "barn" for a company that just launched a sub-orbital flight… almost to space. Very kerbal.

https://kenpresley.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/blue_originpic9.jpg

Doesn't look super rustic, just bare bones.

The rustic look seemed to imply that it was an old facility, one that was decently cheap.

I'll be honest:

I hate this farm, hate, hate hate, and in my opinion is completely wrong, wrong.

It just do not fit.

though one airport, seaport, abandoned condominium or military base ...

It makes sense, perfect sense.

I also love the idea of a mine, but ... for the same reason that a farm does not fit, a mine does not fit.

to be simple about what I am talking, for which reason the farm has no animals or edible plants? and why not build it on grassland?

Please take a second to catch your favorite plane (can be rocket, but it will be complicated) and keep giving back on the KSC while thinking about the building.

for after one back on the area around the complex and ask yourself, what would be there before the building made by the Bac9?

kerbals donot like it when the parachute fail, but also do not like the idea of ​​having to use a golf cart; It is slow and boring, also don't go far.

they prefer something more "high tech" especially if it is completely experimental and never tested before.

Of course they are not fans of ionic engines (maybe bob or bill are, jeb not)

but they don't want to fly in a small plane all patched, unless is the only option. you can even see this on Squad videos.

the lack of parachutes? It is much more exciting make a suicide maneuver (suicide burn).

they try their best, spending every penny in the best you can buy with Root.

give another reason for lack of parachutes, the coolest rocket engines are more expensive.

Note: to understand what I mean by more cool: something that can take you to the moon, if you doubt ... jupiter.

now my blood pressure is normal.

P.S.: and please Squad, the game looks like a frankestein, a can see at least 7 artists fingerprints.

and I only now the name of... what? 4?

Well, thanks to the no-barners, 1.0 released with tier 1 being 18t/30 parts (very minimalistic missions to very easy targets like Mun or Duna) to tier 2 being 140t/255 parts (pretty much any non-station mission anywhere except perhaps Eve's surface).

I don't give a rat's derriere about whether it's a barn or not - but I would very, VERY much like it so that there could be something in between current tier 1 and tier 2, with intermediate part/mass values.

It could be a goddamn ferris wheel for all I care - just so long as it smooths the tier 1-2 bump.

(Or to phrase it differently, tier 1 serves maybe 15% of destinations, tier 2 like 80%, and tier 3 100%. HUGE difference 1-2, very little 2-3. Needs to smooth out.)

• 1 month later...
It's been repeated time and again that there will be.

But there hasn't yet been. And it's 1.0 already...

Let's hypothetically say we had the barn in 0.90

I would believe that there would then actually be 4 tiers of stuff, with what is currently t1, being t2 and with buffed stats.

I think that would have been much more balanced.

And, anyway, it was all very kerbal ; )

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Kosmonaut said:

welp

it's been three years and the barn still hasn't come back

I wouldn't count on any major additions at this point.  I think the bulk of the features were cemented in stone when most of the developers quit after 1.2.

20 hours ago, Alshain said:

I wouldn't count on any major additions at this point.  I think the bulk of the features were cemented in stone when most of the developers quit after 1.2.

And exactly this reason is why I thought it was relevant that there had been no mention of a version number since 1.2.2.

We all knew development had stopped, the talk about it had stopped, and by development I mean the business as usual development of the stock game, not expansion packs or localisation style development.

Of course work will still be done on the stock game but only to allow expansion packs/DLC to function well.

Personally I would like to see more building levels available in career, it is a shame that people complaining about the model and style used has lead to the whole concept of tier 0 buildings being scrapped, conceivably due to there being only being so much time left to work on the game and other stuff was always more important so the choice was between accept the barn or lose a tier. We chose.

I quite liked the barn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.