Are your original 3 still alive in your 0.90 career?

zarakon

I'm playing on hard, so progress is a bit slow. First Mun mission should be soon.

I lost Jeb on what was supposed to be a simple single-stage rocket to do an aerial survey. Parachutes were in the wrong stage, they opened at launch, and the wrong end started pointing up.

Bill and Bob are still alive, just because they aren't pilots and I only have 1-man capsules so far, so I never use them.

Bob died landing on Minmus. I had a probe core providing stability assist but, while Bob was transmitting some science, the batteries ran dry. The probe core didn't have enough electricity to activate and it took me by surprise. By the time I go Bob pointed the right way it was too late. ;.;

I really like how this can happen. The new features bring a bunch of emergent behavior to the game. I didn't really like Bob anyway.

Bob died on splash down into the sea ;.; I have a habit of opening the chute at 50m when it is only the one man capsule, and it works (most of the time). However this time I left 4x on by accident then BOOOM, one less Kerbal

I must confess I killed Jeb by underestimating how much control authority I would need on a pure solid rocket first stage. I'm on Hard mode with no reverts.

I was so heartbroken by this that I actually restarted my entire career on a new save. Lost about 1.5 hours of gameplay for the little guy. Yes, that's insane. Yes, I love Jebediah that much.

Now, I only send newbie Kerbals on part test missions. Jeb is too valuable to risk on anything but fully tested and proven designs.

I'm of the mindset of Gene Kranz when I play Kerbal Space Program. I have gone to a lot of effort to avoid killing Kerbals in career mode.

" ... From this day forward, Flight Control will be known by two words: 'Tough' and 'Competent.' Tough means we are forever accountable for what we do or what we fail to do. We will never again compromise our responsibilities. Every time we walk into Mission Control we will know what we stand for. Competent means we will never take anything for granted. We will never be found short in our knowledge and in our skills. Mission Control will be perfect. When you leave this meeting today you will go to your office and the first thing you will do there is to write 'Tough and Competent' on your blackboards. It will never be erased. Each day when you enter the room these words will remind you of the price paid by Grissom, White, and Chaffee. These words are the price of admission to the ranks of Mission Control."

The Kranz Dictum is the way I see it. I may over engineer my ships and spend a few extra funds, but damn it my kerbals come home. No compromises, no regrets, failure is not an option.

I tend to revert a flight to the launch pad if I have a catastrophic failure. I guess thst can take a bit of fun out of it tho, but so do less strict rules and giving double rewards, but its less overall time thst has to be dedicated to the game to be able to progress.

im lazy when it comes to grinding to progress...

I treasure my original 3 for no real sane reason, but if a mission is likely to be dangerous, I test with a probe first, and then I always try to build abort functionality into my rockets incase of launch failures. If a mission is too dangerous, but I need a Kerbal there anyway, I send red shirts (well... "grey suits" I guess) :P

In 0.25 I did lose Jeb once, and I restarted quite a long way in, because I just couldn't handle Jeb not being there...

So far so good in 0.90.0 :)

I left Jeb in orbit because I didn't give him a parachute to return from the first Mun mission. Apparently he was too close to the Mun's orbit and crashed into it.

Bill and Bob are still alive, though, both in a station around Duna currently.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.