KSP is kinda like Discworld, no?

LitaAlto

It all occurs in a place where the physics make no sense from a real-world perspective don't follow the same rules ours do.

And yet, in an intentionally funny way, the place serves as a sort of commentary on our world.

Maybe that's why I'm not quick to demand "realism" in the game. It's goofy in multiple ways, but often in ways that speak to what it means to be human. I like that. I like it, even as I wince thinking about things like gravity....

(I made a correction because some bad wording seemed to make a few people think I was being critical of the game's physics. TBH knowing how this game differs from real-world physics has helped to strengthen my knowledge of the latter, as much as gameplay has deepened my appreciation for orbital mechanics and rocket science. I am absolutely NOT objecting to the game as a whole. My apologies for anyone upset by my poor wording.)

Edited by LitaAlto

I bristle at the statement "occurs in a place where the physics make no sense from a real-world perspective."

The physic is KSP isn't entirely accurate... but it is way more accurate than most other games and makes a whole lot more sense in the real world than most other games.

It isn't a full on as accurate as we can make it space simulation... but it is good enough. I think it more likely... people who don't understand real world physics find the real world physics presented in the game to be weird and confusing.

This isn't to say that there aren't inaccuracies or that it can't be nit picked... it certainly can... but that the inaccuracies aren't that bad and serve to enhance game play. such as over powered rockets and an undersized and more massive solar system.

I agree with FITorion. The Physics of orbital dynamics and rocket propulsion are much better than you'll find in almost any other game. Some things that are off can be explained away with a minimum of additional assumptions (the high densities of the planets and the fact that such a small sun can generate energy can be explained if we assume that a very high density state of matter can exist in the kerbal universe, and that some of that super-high-density matter is in the cores of the celestial bodies). The goofy aerodynamics is going to be improved soon. And the remaining goofiness (such as the weird flotation physics) won't make me wail in despair when they have the more important things good enough.

There is a huge difference between envisioning the world on the back(s) of an infinite tower of turtles, and a 1/10th scale solar system with some physics issues. Albeit that Kerbin's density is 12x as density as lead, and the atmosphere is soup. RL Physics > KSP Physics > Disc World physics.

I like this game. It improved my physics from thinking transfers were straight and required burning STRAIGHT AT THE TARGET to being the guy in school that gives the infamous 1 question "Idiot Test"

<spoiler/ the idiot test>

THE IDIOT TEST:

1. what happens when a rocket burns straight into space?

A) It floats away, since there is no gravity in space

B) You go into a stable orbit

C) You fall back to Earth_after a sub-orbital trajectory (I actually don't say sub-orbital trajectory because advanced (simple, everyday for most of us here in the forums... and NASA...) terms imply the correct answer)

scoring Key:

A) I'm laughing at you real hard, idiot. go stand in that corner.

B)Better than A, but nope, you don't automatically orbit. you have to do an orbital insertion, especially if you are going straight up.

C)Good for you... you have a basic knowledge of this simple principle, i see. <Proceeds to give harder questions>

I dont do the Idiot test anymore, due to me being a better person this past month.

<spoiler/>

I think ksp makes a lot of sense. i understand the aerodynamics are terrible, but the physics are better than at least 90% of other games. Good Job, Devs.

EDIT: just realized spoiler tags arent working. Did i do something wrong?

There is a huge difference between envisioning the world on the back(s) of an infinite tower of turtles, and a 1/10th scale solar system with some physics issues. Albeit that Kerbin's density is 12x as density as lead, and the atmosphere is soup. RL Physics > KSP Physics > Disc World physics.

An infinite tower of turtles? Really? That's ridiculous. Discworld lies atop 4 elephants that stand atop the great turtle A'Tuin. He swims through the great ocean of space, searching for another turtle to mate with to create a new Universe in the Big Bang.

You must be thinking of some silly,superstitious belief that hopefully died out a century ago.

And the remaining goofiness (such as the weird flotation physics) won't make me wail in despair when they have the more important things good enough.

Some of my favourite moments in KSP come after I've crashed a plane, then watch as a few winglets fly away, without a care in the world.

Or when you crash into the water and the intakes survive and bounce away.

I get so much enjoyment just watching the goofiness play out.

Discworld physics also includes magic, so it can do things regular Physics can't. And it IS funny.

Diskworld humor > KSP humor > Real World humor.

KSP physics also include bugs, so it can do things regular Physics can't. And it IS funny.

Some of my favourite moments in KSP come after I've crashed a plane, then watch as a few winglets fly away, without a care in the world.

Or when you crash into the water and the intakes survive and bounce away.

I get so much enjoyment just watching the goofiness play out.

This is true. The sight of a school of playful air intakes splashing off into the distance makes one appreciate the beauty of nature.

Or something like that.

Edited by Brotoro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.