Cannot Exit Buildings, UI errors

Claw redirected me here from this thread.

Version: 0.90 Beta, Windows 64-bit, ATI Radeon 4870x2 video card, lotsa RAM. Using Fullscreen mode.

What Happens: After the first flight in Career Mode, with or without missions, entering any non-assembly building will render the Close button unresponsive. That is, occasionally the bottom bar will appear for the space center view but that will be mostly unresponsive as well (it brings up the Esc menu, and I can load games but not exit to main menu). In Science Mode, going to the Launchpad will throw everything wonky.

Mods: None

Steps to Recreate:

1. Start a new Career Mode
  2. Build a simple rocket and go fly it.
  3. After recovering your ship, enter a non-assembly building. (Say, the research lab.)
  4. Hit the red Close button in the upper-right corner.

Result: Nothing happens, or the bottom part of the window changes to space center view.

Fixes/workaround: Tried running it with " -force -opengl -popupwindow" but that doesn't seem to do anything. Tried both the 64 and 32-bit versions. The 64-bit has the upgraded buildings bug so I'm going with the 32-bit right now. Tried Claw's solution above to no avail. Tried rebooting, restarting, verifying files, and reinstalling. Nothing works. :( I've had the game for a very long time and previous versions worked fine.

Files: HERE's the persistent file. I think that's what you're looking for right?

Got bored and tried Science mode. Can't even load up the launch pad. (Long time KSP player here, just returned for the new Beta update. KSP worked perfectly fine before.) HERE's the link to the science save file if it helps, and here's the KSP.txt document as well.

Edited by Velenne

I can't try your save at the moment, and the filedropper link wasn't working for me, but I wanted to ask if you could also upload the output_log.txt file also. It will (hopefully) contain a lot of useful info for us.

I'll try to check out your save file later, but it might be a bit before I can get to it.

Cheers,

-Claw

I am having the exact same issue on Mac (playing through Steam).

I deleted the contracts section out of my persistant.sfs on fellow Redditor's hunch, but to no avail... (Someone suspected that an issue with a particular contract was causing the issue).

EDIT - I should have mentioned that my save was working fine all day yesterday. Only acted up when I started up today.

Edited by snuffy1717

I just encountered this problem. Running unmodded 0.90.0.705 beta on Windows 8.1. Played a save yesterday and today; ran a few missions. After running a mission today I returned to the VAB and discovered I couldn't exit it - the exit button clicks but doesn't do anything. Also couldn't exit to main menu. Killed the process and reloaded the game. Wasn't able to enter the tracking station... Tried to exit to main menu and the button clicks but doesn't do anything. The UI seems corrupt for this save.

I've played the previous versions of KSP and have never encountered such an issue.

I am having this very same issue as well. Never had any problems at all with KSP, either modded or un-modded, until the BETA update.

I cannot exit buildings once entered - except VAB - and the 'Quit Current Game' button in the pause/game menu doesn't work either, although all the others do (which means a forced exit and reload of the game).

I've tried three new career games, and a fresh install, all to no avail.

This is making it very frustrating and starting to ruin what is otherwise a very enjoyable game. Any help to solve this would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I'm running on a HP Pavilion G6 with Win7, 4GB memory, and dual graphics, and never had ANY problems previously (if that helps).

EDIT: In addition to this, I cannot recover vessels once they have returned to Kerbin either.

Edited by RocketMunkee
Adding to post

I am having the exact same issue on Mac (playing through Steam).

I deleted the contracts section out of my persistant.sfs on fellow Redditor's hunch, but to no avail... (Someone suspected that an issue with a particular contract was causing the issue).

EDIT - I should have mentioned that my save was working fine all day yesterday. Only acted up when I started up today.

As Claw stated above, guys, posting your output.txt file and/or your save file is helpful.

Having this issue as well with 0.90 . I was able to revert to earlier saves for a while but it keeps happening and now I seem to be unable to revert back past where it occurred. Previously fine saves are now experiencing the bug.

I find it happens to me most often when I am flipping through tabs on the R&D screen. When I try to exit out the button ceases to work. I can press ESC to bring up the menu but the only thing that will work is loading a save. I have to get back to desktop and manually end to process to close it.

If I load a bugged save, it will bring me to the space centre screen but clicking on the buildings does nothing.

Having this issue as well with 0.90.

There are two bugs right now that have similar results. I haven't dug into this one yet, but you may also be experiencing the other bug (which I just built a fix for).

The other bug occurs when you fire a kerbal that's been on a flight. It can cause the save to become corrupt and the UI to lock up. Check here and see if that's your problem (the post I linked to contains directions on how to manually fix a save). If not, come back to this thread and please upload some saves / log files for us to sift through.

Thanks, and welcome to the forums!!

Cheers,

~Claw

Still having this issue. My first two posts in this thread include some files.

This isn't related to kerbals on flights as I haven't hired or fired any kerbals, nor have I received any kerbal-related quests. It just happens on its own the first time I enter any non-assembly building, or when playing sandbox mode and going to the launch pad.

I don't know if this matters but I'm playing in full screen even though I have the "-popupwindow --force-opengl" tags in my lauch options. I don't know if it matters because they don't seem to do anything whatsoever.

Edited by Velenne
added stuff

Well, sorry for the long delay. I've looked into your save file and your log. They both seem to indicate that you are using mods, while in your original post you say that you are all stock. So my first suggestion (assuming you want to be all stock) is to do a completely fresh install, and not just delete the mod folders. Sometimes they leave bits and pieces lying around.

Also, yes, the OpenGL flags can cause problems. It sometimes runs fine for some people, and is completely unusable for others. Try it either way (if you haven't already) and see.

Otherwise, if you are actually using add-ons, I'll move this thread over to the modded support forum where you might get help with people who are more familiar with your add-ons.

Cheers,

~Claw

Among many things in your originally posted persistence.sfs, this is an example of the most obvious:

part = mumech.MJ2.AR202.features1

You also have an "EarnedAchievements" scenario block, which I am pretty sure isn't stock (or at least I haven't seen it). I don't know what it's from.

Also, your output_log.txt file is similarly littered with bits and pieces trying to load.

Non platform assembly: D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MissionController\Plugins\MissionController.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MissionController\Plugins\MissionLibrary.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Plugins\MissionPack.dll (this message is harmless)
Load(Audio): Squad/Parts/Utility/landingLegLT-1/sounds/sound_servomotor

It looks like you not only have things installed in the GameData directory, but maybe some legacy add-ons in the KSP\Plugins directory.

If you are using steam, I would recommend moving the entire KSP directory somewhere else, then making steam install it again and start from there.

Cheers,

~Claw

I also have this issue. After only a handful of simple missions my save is completely unplayable. About the only thing I can do is accept contracts. Zero mods, clean install, NO steam. I don't think there are any active flights.

Persistence file: http://www.filedropper.com/persistent_2

Log: http://www.filedropper.com/ksp

Edited by ESteve

Hey guys I'm having the same issue here. Thought I'd be the only one but this seems common... Not really tech savvy, but I love this game and I want to make it work. I have tried Claw's solution that he linked to regarding corrupt files stemming from firing previously hired Pilots (In my case it was Jeb). I must have done something wrong because after I edited the persistent.sfs to match the block that Claw posted, the game was simply showing up as "Just started" in my saved files menu in-game. Also, wouldn't even load, it was just a functionless button. You can see this is my first post here, I have never once had an issue with this game, but I updated to 0.90 last week and this happened shortly after. If anyone can help me edit the persistent file properly (Maybe I'm leaving blank space, but it's hard to use notepad to *not* include blank space?), but then I'd be happy to upload my persistent.sfs and output log for study.

You can contact me via Reddit also, I'm under the same username scarf123. Thanks for your help, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Hey guys I'm having the same issue here.

You are correct. I/we cannot give any specific advice without save files (and logs). If you are having the roster problem, there are several places that you might have to check to edit it properly.

Extra spaces are generally okay, but extra blank lines are not. Make sure you aren't leaving extra blank lines.

My fix was a quick fix for the most often encountered way, although it is incomplete. I am nearly done with a better fix that will prevent this from happening in the future. That being said, my fix cannot fix a save that is broken, because the act or reading the save file and saving it again causes the game to break. Unfortunately I can't get down to the broken kerbals without initiating a save, which again causes the game to break. So you have to repair the kerbals manually, then start using my fix.

Include some saves and I can give better directions to fix.

Cheers,

-Claw

I am having similar issues. One thing I have noticed is that in the mission control facility my Active Contracts is shown as 99 and (Max-0) I have not been able to find these numbers or any entries pertaining to "Active Contracts" anywhere in my persistent.sfs file. I am just guessing but the glitch may be in whatever subroutine sets and tracks these numbers.

I also have this issue. After only a handful of simple missions my save is completely unplayable. About the only thing I can do is accept contracts. Zero mods, clean install, NO steam. I don't think there are any active flights.

Persistence file: http://www.filedropper.com/persistent_2

Log: http://www.filedropper.com/ksp

I'm sorry. I tried several times over the last 12 hours or so and filedropper isn't letting me download your files. I will try again tomorrow. It might be something on my end, but if you have another place you can host that might help.

Cheers,

~Claw

In the save file there was no mention of the Kerbal that was rescued outside the finished contract. The Kerbal roster was full (5/5) when I completed the rescue mission, so I guess poor Fabien Kerman was fired as soon as he landed. After deleting the entry for the rescue contract the save file is playable again.

I have just started to have the same bug occour.

I transfered my save file from an earlier 0.90 that worked to a new install

The new install used some new mods.

I used KCAN to install most of them.

I haven't achieved one flight nor been able to enter any VAB's .. I can only enter the science building.

New mods I have just installed that may have had an effect are:

CLS

Fuel science

KAC

KCT

K engineer Redaux

Kerbanomics

Orbital material science

Regolith

SCAN sat

Transfer window planner

Trigger AU flags

These are the only new add ons I have '.. all my previous add ons worked fine.

I'm going to remove these one by one and see if it goes away.

I removed the lot and it made no difference... but anew game works fine... so its defiantly something to do with the save file from a previous 0.90 game.

Edited by Mars Mullo