MainSailor's Textures (for Procedural Parts) - VERSION 2! (Now with more history) 5th of April 2016

MainSailor

updated-April%205-green.svg version-2.0-blue.svg

MainSailor's Procedural Textures (for Procedural Parts)

*Requires* Procdural Parts to work. (Obviously.)

Imgur links (since apparently that's broken since the last time I've been here):

Download from SpaceDock

DOWNLOAD (Dropbox - Alternate)

Beta Build (Most current build of textures) 2.0 now includes all of the beta files.

Currently eight thirteen a bunch of tank textures included:

Gamma Series:

• LongCore - Designed for tall prime booster tanks. Designed to work with the IUS and Gamma styles. It works well at 3.75 x 13 or 2.5 x 10.
  • IUS - Upper stage tanks. Black and white versions.
  • Gamma - An upper stage tank.
  • Interstage - a basic, structurally ribbed texture for making tapered transitions, boattail tanks, or intertank separators. Black and white versions.
  • SRB-X - a dedicated SRB texture complete with explosive warning, a generic 'loaded' icon, and racing stripes (makes them go faster, don't cha know?)
  • Nosecone - designed specifically for nosecones complete with a reinforced carbon-carbon tip to provide more heat protection (disclaimer: it doesn't.) I suppose you could use it as a tank texture too if you wanted. Black and white versions.
  • Utility/Service Module - Has vents, panels; does things.
  • TPS Tiles - Beta version brought into main release.

Historical Series:

• Checker - Like the Bumper V-2's. Stock pParts already has this, but this shading matches the rest of the pack.
  • Corestar - Body details like the Juno/Thor/Jupiter rockets.
  • Diamant - That hot red stripe adds 100 dv.
  • Europa - Shiny metal and zebra stripes. Completely fashionable.
  • Jebstar - That classic Juno v-stripe.
  • Redstone - Again, just one that matches the rest of the pack
  • Skylab - What Skylab would have looked like if those panels hadn't fallen off.
  • Soyuz - Make some conical boosters already.
  • ThorAble - Fully wrapped stripe.
  • Vanguard - Guaranteed to get at least 3 out of 11 launches into orbit.

Essentials:

• Interstage - White, Dark, and Striped
  • Charcoal - Just a darker grey than pParts.
  • Plain Ringed - A white base with details to match the historical pack parts.

Fairings:  Still included, but just go get Procedural Fairings for Everything, instead.

Due to the completely new folder structure with 2.0, completely remove your MainSailor folder and update with the new version from the zip file.

The new release is COMPLETELY MODULAR. Don't like one of the packs? You can delete the folder (other than essentials, which contains the end textures.)

Changes to 2.0:

• Added Historical Pack
  • Moved Interstage and common end texture into Essentials folder, and added Striped Interstage
  • Added new fairings and incorporated Gamma fairing into main release. Fairings now use single model file for reduced memory usage.
  • Small updates to Gamma textures to reduce overall file size
  • Gamma definintion file updated with new file locations.

Spoiler

Changes to 1.11.01:

• TPS Textures being called by cfg were missing and beta texture has been added (thanks Phineas Phreak)

Changes to 1.11:

• Everything has been converted to DDS! Downloads should be much smaller, files should load quicker and be optimized.
  • Folder structure has been updated. This is in preparation for future texture pack expansions (pFairings, Mk3 Stockalike, etc.) Soyuz has been moved out of the Gamma texture folder.
  • Flag has been added. (See my avatar.)
  • Every normal map has been updated. This fixes the hairline issues with previous textures, and different 'strength' levels between individual textures.
  • Common colors (dark gray, standard white, etc.) have been synchronized to match correctly across textures.
  • Stripes and icons now have some 'weathering' applied.
  • Hex Tile - Texture and normals have been revamped, tiling now works correctly.
  • Nosecones - Have been modified slightly to improve appearance and cohesion with other parts.
  • Interstages - Have been modified to appear more consistently with other parts (shininess was removed, and the textures were tweaked.)
  • IUS - The hairline hatches have been updated to improve appearance.
  • SRB - Addtional decal has been added and the proportions have been adjusted to help the appearance of taller, skinnier tanks (such as stock KD25)
  • Utility/Service Module - The main detail has been centered so it's not offset to the centerline of the tank, normals have been updated to improve appearance. Additional decals have been added (a new style I'm testing.)
  • Herobrine has been removed.

Changes to 1.1:

• Nosecone - New dark nosecone has been added, and the dark stripe has been removed from the white one. Normals have been added to add some detail as well.
  • TPS Tiles - The scaling has been adjusted so that they are appropriately sized (they should be square and the cfg was messed up before.)
  • Interstage - White texture has been adjusted ever so slightly to match other colors. A dark one to match other textures has also been added.
  • Gamma Upper - Adjusted.
  • Utility/Service Module - New one has been added. This was one of the ones I sketched...man, near Christmas? Finally got it where I liked it.
  • Hextank - WIP texture. Would be like a lander style tank or similar. Eventually it will tile, but the texture doesn't line up completely yet. Seeing if anyone likes it or not.
  • Soyuz - I showed this in the previous post. I was messing around one day. Maybe someone will like it.
  • Herobrine has been removed.

Known Issues in 2.0:

• Hex Tile tank looks 'grainy' at certain zoom levels, feedback on other graphics configurations and resolutions is requested. Not sure if it's a mipmap issue moving to DDS or a wonky normal map.
  • Europa metal texture is still WIP. Edge wrapping doesn't match up.
  • TPS Tile texture tiles funny on heatshield. Looking into ways to redesign this texture for that application.

Future Ideas:

Consider this a legacy pack as I don't plan updates to it moving forward (and I've lost the source files anyhow.) Any future plans would probably be creating SSTU tank textures, or some form of textures that can be readily customized using Textures Unlimited.

Now licensed under CC4:

88x31.png

Edited by MainSailor
Updated to 2.0!

Great looking textures! It's really nice to see some more high quality textures with normal maps for P-parts.

Thanks! There's more coming, as well as tweaks to the current ones. I'm out of town for the holidays but I should be able to provide some more after the new year starts.

I might use some of these. Nice work!

Thanks. I was worried people wouldn't like them. If you use them, take some screenshots for me.

These are very nice. Major kudos for making some high quality textures for this!

Much appreciated!

Keep in mind these are all still WIP and these are like the super alpha versions. I have basically three different packs planned.

Wow, these are some of my favorite textures released thus far. There is a pretty limited amount of custom Procedural Part textures out there and very few I really like. There is usually only one or two textures from each pack that I like and ever use but I like pretty much everything in this pack and use it almost exclusively now with the exception of 4 or 5 other textures spread across a couple other packs. Keep up the great work. If you manage to expand on the available textures a bit more so there is a tiny bit more variety I'd be happy with just this pack alone.

Edit: By the way, random question. Do you use the "Paper by Fifty-Three" App for your sketches? The sketches you posted have the Paper look about them. I love that App and use it a lot for work and personal projects.

Edited by Deems19

Wow, these are some of my favorite textures released thus far. There is a pretty limited amount of custom Procedural Part textures out there and very few I really like.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear people like it!

Edit: If you haven't checked them out, Freedom's textures are pretty good, and Blackheart (who does amazing work!) has a large pack available too.

Keep up the great work. If you manage to expand on the available textures a bit more so there is a tiny bit more variety I'd be happy with just this pack alone.

Yep the plan is to actually expand into three distinct styles. I kinda feel bad now though because I'm stuck at inlaws without the capability to post the fixes I worked on before I started travelling. I should have new stuff up by Tuesday, though.

Edit 2: One of the things that got me started on these was Sauron's Concept Rockets which are currently a very loose inspiration. I know that bs1110101 released a set of (solid color) procedural textures, but depending on how this first release goes, I might do detailed textures to match his style too. I'd also eventually like to pick up on Daemoria's style as well, although I'm not sure how much we could stretch pParts to those designs without actually making new models (which I have no idea how to do.)

Edit: By the way, random question. Do you use the "Paper by Fifty-Three" App for your sketches? The sketches you posted have the Paper look about them. I love that App and use it a lot for work and personal projects.

I have used Paper before, when I had an iPad I used daily. I still have one at work and do use Paper occasionally. Most of the stuff I do with sketch tablets though is on an older Wacom. I did these sketches in the actually-not-half-bad S Note app that comes with my phone (Galaxy Note 3). I with the Fifty Three folks would build an Android port of Paper though. I don't have a stylus for my Nexus so I use S Note routinely when I'm away from my desk and I want to sketch. Actually several logo concepts started life in S Note.

Edited by MainSailor

Just wondering how things are coming along on these. I absolutely love using these textures - they're pretty much the only ones I use now - and would absolutely love to see more from you in this design.

Also are you still working on the Gamma Upper Stage texture? It seems a little odd where it has like a semi-transparent edge to it.

Incredible job.

However, I recommend avoiding JPEGs altogether on your workflow. They are quite lossy, and aren't particularly good for textures or normals. Instead you should use a lossless format such as lossless JPEG2K.

As for compressing the PNGs, if you can use a command line (Either windows shell, Mac Terminal or Bash) you can get a utility called advpng. It uses an algorithm derived for 7zip and is probably the most effective utility out there.

Still, there is no need to compress the PNGs other than to save disk space. It doesn't save memory once the game loads the files.

Edited by Ruedii
clarification.

I'm still here! I got delayed working on these because I haven't had access to the computer that has all my graphics programs (CS6). Now that I'm back from the holidays I will be back to working on 'em again.

I love textures for Procedural Parts. Its like new part pack but way lighter for RAM :) Keep up great work!

You could also consider creating textures for procedural fairings.

I love pparts too! That's why I wanted to expand what's already been offered. I've been looking at textures for pFairings...I've been using Chaka's textures from the CMES pack, but I do think I need something that matches this style.

Just wondering how things are coming along on these. I absolutely love using these textures - they're pretty much the only ones I use now - and would absolutely love to see more from you in this design.

Also are you still working on the Gamma Upper Stage texture? It seems a little odd where it has like a semi-transparent edge to it.

Thanks! I think it's great that you guys use them!

The Gamma Upper that was included a.) really shouldn't have been. It was super alpha early. And bugged. But, b.) has been fixed since the original version was posted. Watch this space (hopefully today) and the new one should be posted.

Really dig that battery design in your sketches.

Really? That was totally a rando concept sketch too. I'll see what I can put together and get feedback from you guys.

Incredible job.

However, I recommend avoiding JPEGs altogether on your workflow. They are quite lossy, and aren't particularly good for textures or normals. Instead you should use a lossless format such as lossless JPEG2K.

As for compressing the PNGs, if you can use a command line (Either windows shell, Mac Terminal or Bash) you can get a utility called advpng. It uses an algorithm derived for 7zip and is probably the most effective utility out there.

Still, there is no need to compress the PNGs other than to save disk space. It doesn't save memory once the game loads the files.

Thanks!

The only reason jpegs are in the workflow at all is because of the Photoshop actions I typically use to resize files. The droplet I had been using saved as jpeg for the content I build that goes to the web. As of right now, the images get exported out of the various programs straight into PNG and then get resized. I built a new action that doesn't include jpeg at all.

I haven't been using mipmaps (indeed, I'm not even sure pparts uses mipmaps...) or doing anything except rudimentary compression in PS.

I have looked into DDS textures but I'm not sure I want to support two branches of graphics types during WIP dev...perhaps once I get closer to feeling like these are 'finalized'. I'm also not sure (although I can't believe it wouldn't) that pparts can use DDS. Anyone here using it?

- - - Updated - - -

A preview of the updated Gamma Upper:

1QFtKi8.png

I'm not super happy with the normal around the bolt-on panel. Actually I'm not sure I'm happy with that whole detail.

- - - Updated - - -

1.0.1 version is up.

Changelog in first post.

I got busy with work, but I already started working on the battery/utility texture shown in sketches. Maybe a poll coming today. Stay tuned.

I can't find a way to edit the title of the thread...

Nice textures, man! Some of these look they'll look fantastic with Interstellar. The only problem was the 33Mb file size, but that wasn't a problem once I ran them through a proper compressor. Once compressed they only take up 4.5Mb and look just as nice.

Thanks for the textures!

• 2 weeks later...
Very nice textures, lemme give you a bump

Thanks!

Nice textures, man! Some of these look they'll look fantastic with Interstellar. The only problem was the 33Mb file size, but that wasn't a problem once I ran them through a proper compressor. Once compressed they only take up 4.5Mb and look just as nice.

Thanks for the textures!

Awesome thanks! I never thought about using them with Interstellar. I'm a huge fan of zzz's work which is a large portion of Interstellar. If my textures look even half as good as his when I'm done I'd be happy with the final product.

Yeah...I do plan on compressing them coming up, but for now I wanted to diagnose texture issues using the highest quality I could bring into the game. Realistically, these wouldn't need to be larger than 512 x 512 (or 1024 for the tall tanks), but I might even try 256 on the less complicated textures. We'll see.

On a different note, this has been put on the back burner a little because of projects at work. I had 60 hours in last week and one of the last things I want to do at the end of the day is stare at the computer more. I still owe you guys a demo utility tank too...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What's that you say? Tired of waiting around for updates?

WAIT NO MORE.

Gamma Textures have been updated!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Installing: Completely remove the MainSailor folder, if you've had it installed before, and grab the new one from the zip. No files have been removed so craft with textures in use should automatically update to the new ones.

Changelog (1.1):

Nosecone - New dark nosecone has been added, and the dark stripe has been removed from the white one. Normals have been added to add some detail as well.

TPS Tiles - The scaling has been adjusted so that they are appropriately sized (they should be square and the cfg was messed up before.)

Interstage - White texture has been adjusted ever so slightly to match other colors. A dark one to match other textures has also been added.

Gamma Upper - Adjusted.

Utility/Service Module - New one has been added. This was one of the ones I sketched...man, near Christmas? Finally got it where I liked it.

Hextank - WIP texture. Would be like a lander style tank or similar. Eventually it will tile, but the texture doesn't line up completely yet. Seeing if anyone likes it or not.

Soyuz - I showed this in the previous post. I was messing around one day. Maybe someone will like it.

Herobrine - Has been removed.

Edited by MainSailor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.