MainSailor's Textures (for Procedural Parts) - VERSION 2! (Now with more history) 5th of April 2016

MainSailor

Really awesome! Installing right now :)

Thanks!

How do you create your normal maps? Are they hand-painted or are you using something like Crazy bump? Or maybe you are baking them from 3d models? They are pretty :D

I cheat. I basically make black and white heightmap versions of the texture as another layer. They look like this:

IPsknt3.jpg

And then I dump them into a pretty cool webapp that actually makes the standard normals we're used to seeing: http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

I know there's PS plugins that do them but I've gotten pretty good at tuning them in the webapp to get what I need, and I can make a couple different versions at a time and test them to see what looks best in game.

In other news, I'm testing out the Fuselage/Nosecone kinda thing. Still working on the NACA duct shading & normal for it, but this is what I have so far:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by MainSailor
Ensmallened the image

Not sure It should be called a cheat Great method and nice effects.

Thanks!

I call it a cheat because I'm not making them like 'the pros' do. I have absolutely zero experience with models so I have no idea how others are making them. I know a while back I saw a brief explanation of how Chaka made his, and it's completely different than mine. Either way, I'm glad they work.

Woha that files are still pretty big :D Good thing I can do some OptiPNG magic to reduce size from 50mb to 7mb

I've been toying with providing DDS textures for those that use them. I haven't looked into whether or not PParts is compatible, but I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I compressed some of the earlier textures using PNGGauntlet, but the ones in this go around hadn't gone thru yet because I was still tweaking them literally up to release. And I'm still messing with some of them.

I have to see if I can add some compression to my Photoshop actions as well. Just haven't had the opportunity yet, but currently, the set of actions I built includes *no* compression at all, so I know there's a fair bit of margin I can shave off even by enabling that.

• 2 weeks later...

DDS textures are now stock in the game so I will be compressing them and converting them over as soon as Procedural Parts gets a stable 1.0.2 release (I've tested the WIP updates but still had some buggy issues.)

Thats the one that comes with pFairings? I just meant in the style you've made. I like the futuristic clean look. Just wondered if you had planned fairing textures of your own.

Thats the one that comes with pFairings? I just meant in the style you've made. I like the futuristic clean look. Just wondered if you had planned fairing textures of your own.

Duh, I'm sorry, I miss-read your post. You mean make textures for Procedural Fairings.

Yes, it's planned, but I haven't gotten there yet. Maybe on the next release.

Duh, I'm sorry, I miss-read your post. You mean make textures for Procedural Fairings.

Yes, it's planned, but I haven't gotten there yet. Maybe on the next release.

Awesome to hear! I really like your style. Only pTexture style I like, makes for awesome looking lifters.

Awesome to hear! I really like your style. Only pTexture style I like, makes for awesome looking lifters.

Thanks! It's great to hear that folks are using them! I haven't played a lot in 1.0.x yet because I've been waiting for pParts to be completely updated to be compatible. Last time I used it, it was still having placement issues in the VAB.

Good news though, I started work on some textures for pFairings:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: Figured out normals. Album updated. Still some wrapping issues if you use more than 2 fairings.

The other issue is that e-dog hasn't yet implemented a texture switching system. One of the great things about pParts is you don't have to have a separate model for each texture. In this case, so far, you'd have to have a model file (and therefore a separate part in the part catalog) for each fairing texture you want. I've looked into Firespitter but I'm not sure yet how that will work, and I'm not crazy about having to code that much for each part yet.

Progress continues though!

Edited by MainSailor
Updated album

The other issue is that e-dog hasn't yet implemented a texture switching system. One of the great things about pParts is you don't have to have a separate model for each texture. In this case, so far, you'd have to have a model file (and therefore a separate part in the part catalog) for each fairing texture you want. I've looked into Firespitter but I'm not sure yet how that will work, and I'm not crazy about having to code that much for each part yet.

@PART[KzProcFairing*] // Fairings

{

MODULE
{
name = FStextureSwitch2
//showListButton = True
textureNames= ProceduralFairings/fairing1_stockalike;ProceduralFairings/fairing1;ProceduralFairings/fairing1_tantares;ProceduralFairings/fairing1_tantares_dark;ProceduralFairings/fairing1_tantares_gray;
objectNames = model
textureDisplayNames = Original;Clean;Tantares;TantaresDark;TantaresGray
useFuelSwitchModule = True
fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3
}

I can't remember where I got this, but it works like you said and allows one model to have multiple textures. I don;t know how you feel about dependencies though or FS in general, so don't take this as anything other than an idea. I just wanted to throw that out there hoping it may be enough. I can't wait to see more fairings! Also there is Interstellarfuelswitch. It mentions texture switching in the OP, but I am not sure if it can do jsut switching textures of non fuel tanks.

Edited by Svm420

I can't remember where I got this, but it works like you said and allows one model to have multiple textures. I don;t know how you feel about dependencies though or FS in general, so don't take this as anything other than an idea. I just wanted to throw that out there hoping it may be enough. I can't wait to see more fairings! Also there is Interstellarfuelswitch. It mentions texture switching in the OP, but I am not sure if it can do jsut switching textures of non fuel tanks.

I don't have problems using Firespitter, I just hadn't dug into the code enough yet to try it. Your example looks easy enough to try, and not any more difficult than coding for pParts textures. I'm working on another fairing texture, and I got some ideas to expand the pParts pack too. Otherwise, anyone have ideas they'd like to see?

In terms of dependencies, the cool thing with FS texture switching is it's easy failback. If you don't have FS, you at least get the *default* texture. I wouldn't distribute it since most people likely have it installed anyhow.

Lovely, lovely textures! Thank you MainSailor for sharing.

By the way, what is the licensing on your files? CC4?

Thanks!

For licensing, I probably should update the first post, but yeah, it would by CC-BY-SA-NC. If anyone wants source files, I can provide them on request, just be aware I work mostly in InDesign, with a set of Photoshop actions I use. I haven't finalized the process to get them over yet, but I tested DDS export using the Nvidia Photoshop plugin for the pFairings texture and I like it a lot. With native support now I think I'll be exporting everything to DDS to save memory and provide a bit more up front compression (rather than the completely un-optimized PNG's I'm distributing now.)

I don't have problems using Firespitter, I just hadn't dug into the code enough yet to try it. Your example looks easy enough to try, and not any more difficult than coding for pParts textures. I'm working on another fairing texture, and I got some ideas to expand the pParts pack too. Otherwise, anyone have ideas they'd like to see?

In terms of dependencies, the cool thing with FS texture switching is it's easy failback. If you don't have FS, you at least get the *default* texture. I wouldn't distribute it since most people likely have it installed anyhow.

Awesome to hear! Really excited to see where you take it. Ideas... well I wouldn't know what to tell you specifically. So far I love the style you have used for the tanks. So anything that compliments that would be perfect. So maybe some black texture, something close to the white gamma style. Also something for interstage fairings would be super awesome. The bare white right now just sticks out and is so plain when next to your textures. Hope that help. CAn't wait to see what you mae. Also yay for dds!

If you want to use FS texture switching you might look at how blackheart did it here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68892-0-23-StretchySRB-Texture-Pack-KW-Procedural-Fairings-March18

I should have known blackheart used FS for texture switching, I was watching when he was developing his Kerbal X pack. I only used pFairings at the time, so I never used the ones in his pack, but I remember reading about how he was going to implement it. It looks easy enough, once you get the initial code block dropped in.

Awesome to hear! Really excited to see where you take it. Ideas... well I wouldn't know what to tell you specifically. So far I love the style you have used for the tanks. So anything that compliments that would be perfect. So maybe some black texture, something close to the white gamma style. Also something for interstage fairings would be super awesome. The bare white right now just sticks out and is so plain when next to your textures. Hope that help. CAn't wait to see what you mae. Also yay for dds!

Yeah, still trying to get a hang of how pFairings wraps versus how pParts wraps textures. pFairings actually has a triangular cut-out at the nose of the fairing and completely chops off any texture above that line, which I haven't fixed yet. And I wanted to see how much detail you could bring over, I think that there's a fair bit of rescaling that occurs that I haven't worked around yet. I might just port over my standard interstage textures to the pFairings, only issue currently being the normal maps.

They'll probably be both black and white versions to match the parts I have currently, I just don't want to replicate things that have already been done (Like the ones Chaka has done for CMES or CardboardBoxProcessor made for KOSMOS.) I'm also thinking about doing a TPMS tile version of the fairing that you could use to build something like the aeroshells on the IRL Constellation Mars mission landers:

k5tTRby.png

Just wanted to post "ace". But apparently that wasn't five characters. So here we go:

Ace.

Thanks! Can't tell you guys how great it feels that people like this stuff!

these are some seriously nice textures, I had always been put off using Procedural Parts because I didn't like the textures I saw on the main post for them so steered clear, this might have to make me rethink that decision though..

these are some seriously nice textures, I had always been put off using Procedural Parts because I didn't like the textures I saw on the main post for them so steered clear, this might have to make me rethink that decision though..

Thanks!

You should take a look at the pack now, they've added quite a few textures since the original StretchyTanks days.

I finally got around to installing this and Procedural Parts, and I must say that the textures are amazing. One small annoyance, though: quite a few of the tanks are only really fit for a narrow range of lengths. This is because when the texture stretches, the icons at the bottom also stretch, making them look weird. Is there any way to keep the bottom and top parts of the texture from scaling, and then have the rest of the texture tile? Or would that need changes to the ProceduralParts coding?

I finally got around to installing this and Procedural Parts, and I must say that the textures are amazing.

Thanks!!

...because when the texture stretches, the icons at the bottom also stretch, making them look weird. Is there any way to keep the bottom and top parts of the texture from scaling, and then have the rest of the texture tile? Or would that need changes to the ProceduralParts coding?

Yeah that would unfortunately need code in pParts. It's not a feature that I'm aware of currently. I could theoretically generate a separate texture that would have the labels, but you'd have to physically add it as another part onto the rocket.

I kind of didn't realize that the logos would stretch so badly when the tanks were used in other height/width ratios. I could set them up to tile, but for some of them, I'm not sure how that would look. I could however, make a tank with the logos you're looking for in another form factor (taller or shorter)...which ones are you using and having an issue with?

which ones are you using and having an issue with?

I haven't had a lot of time to play KSP recently, so I've only used them as long cores, for now. I'm just thinking that it might become a problem in the future. Oh right, it'd be nice to have a booster texture (the black one) that would fit with longer SRBs.

Oh right, it'd be nice to have a booster texture (the black one) that would fit with longer SRBs.

I think I see what you mean:

DilXK0zh.png

An SRB sized similarly to the stock KD25 looks very stretched. I think this would be easy to correct (just need a taller texture.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.