MainSailor's Textures (for Procedural Parts) - VERSION 2! (Now with more history) 5th of April 2016

MainSailor

Thanks for the update. The new textures look even nicer.

Thanks! I was worried that changing things too much (like adding the weathering on the decals) was going to turn people against the pack. After all one of things I wanted, and that others have stated, was that they like the clean lines of this pack. That's why I didn't modify the base textures that much. I'd to think that the decals on the tanks would be stencils and sprayed on...they are Kerbals after all. One of my biggest complaints about some of the stock parts is the slightly dirty, scratched, and banged-up appearance of some of the parts. It was especially noticeable on the ARM pack parts and bugged me to no end. So you have my promise here that the tanks will always be clean and relatively simple, just with some added character to keep them from being 'boring'.

And that tiling looks amazing. I know what all my heat shiled are going to be. Awesome work!

Awesome thanks! I've been going back and forth with some of the tiling/wrapping options in the pParts configs. Unfortunately I think because of the hex shape of the tiles, that's just how they're going to look when the texture compresses itself at the center of the flatter heat-shield parts. I'm also tweaking options in the normal maps to see how the normals look during re-entry (which is why actually did an honest-to-goodness reentry test shown in the album.) I think the tile lines were a bit too strong on the original TPS tile design and it detracted from the design and became distracting when the tiles got smaller.

The good news is, now that I have finalized a design for the hex-shaped TPS tiles, I can move forward with the Fuselage pParts texture and aeroshell pFairings texture I'm planning on using them with. Will have a preview up in a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates on fairing textures would really round out the incredible tank textures you have and make for some nice looking lifters :)

I've been delayed with work projects again. I have three fairing textures that I wanted to start coding in with Firespitter's texture switch but haven't started yet. They look good in the game though. Should be able to throw together a pack after maybe next week.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been delayed with work projects again. I have three fairing textures that I wanted to start coding in with Firespitter's texture switch but haven't started yet. They look good in the game though. Should be able to throw together a pack after maybe next week.

Any news on your textures. Not trying to be a pest just curious. Thanks!

Any news on your textures. Not trying to be a pest just curious. Thanks!

Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be closer to July, probably around the first week or so, until I can release anything. I don't have a machine I can reasonably run Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign etc on at home right now which means I can only work on that stuff at work, where I have been extremely busy. I thought about putting up the fairings pack but right now they're three different parts and not coded for FS texture switch and that WILL BREAK when I update them, and there's not currently normals because I wanted to rebuild them.

I am saving up some money to build a new gaming PC, but as with everything else in real life, it's not as high a priority as other things (currently having to spend ~$800 or so on auto repairs, which blew the budget for the gaming machine :huh:). When I can finally get that built I can spend some free time working on textures etc at home, which will help me from being tied to my desktop at work.

And I know you're not trying to be a pest, the fact that I have produced something which people use and enjoy is great and has passed any expectations I had for this pack!

EDIT: In the meantime, I just saw Ravenchant's Fairings textures, which look really nice and might be a suitable substitute.

Any plans to put this on CKAN? I'm more than fine installing it manually, but it'd be even better if I can group it in with my CKAN mods!

I've never thought about it, to be honest. Since I don't use CKAN, I never thought to include it there. What's the procedure for uploading it?

Edited by MainSailor

I've never thought about it, to be honest. Since I don't use CKAN, I never thought to include it there. What's the procedure for uploading it?

I'm not entirely sure, but I've heard that KerbalStuff will do it for you. I'll look into that when I get a chance; I'm going to need to anyway, as I have a mod I'm making that I'll need to release on CKAN soon, too.

You can just have CKAN link to your current dropbox storage. Just post in the CKAN thread in Tools and Apps, or hop on #ckan on espernet, and they'll help you out.

I'll look into the Dropbox linking then. If it's that easy then I'll consider it.

Aaaand here's the quick-start guide to adding a mod to CKAN. Good luck saving up for your computer!

Thanks, I'll read up.

The good news is it looks like the car will not need a whole new ECU, it looks like it's just a power relay. Apparently it's rather common in VW's. It's still a fair bit of cash but not nearly as much as I'd expected.

• 1 month later...

Good news!

I know that it has been a long wait, however work has freed up a little so I can start work again on the pack.

I've also made progress on my gaming pc...everything but the graphics card has been put together, and I've already seen great results with my overclock (4.5 ghz!) The graphics card is the largest single purchase, and I've literally been saving change here and there for it. The case isn't done yet (completely custom, I don't want to spoil it though!) so I have it in an older case, but it's running enough that I could work on stuff at home now too.

Here's what I have planned for the next release:

-Procedural Fairings textures - A custom shape (think Atlas V 551) with multiple textures via Firespitter.

-The new hex tile heatshield texture - Has been tweaked and tuned. Will work well with pPart's ablator heat shield part.

-A B9-ish tank texture - I have gotten more into SSTO's and playing with Blowfish's preview release.

-A few textures that I think will mesh with Ven's Stock Revamp pack also.

-Tweaked ore tank texture.

-Small tweaks to existing textures to clean up issues I've noticed (inconsistent colors or compression artifacts.)

I'm also looking at building a second pack that would contain textures used in Yanfret's excellent ChakaMonkey pack. I will need to check with him but I believe the terms of his licensing allow for modification upon attribution. To me it would be a much lighter weight pack for those looking to have the same look and feel of that pack without the huge part count it currently has.

I don't want to impose an arbitrary deadline on myself or set unreasonable expectations (as I've done in the past), but if all goes well I should have something posted within the next week or so (say, by Friday the 14th).

EDIT: Oh, I haven't forgotten about CKAN. Although I will state it's not very high on my priority list, I'm still weighing it against a Github-type system.

For anyone that follows the thread, here's a quick (beta) preview with some of the new textures.

This is mainly to test the new fairing textures, although the new TPS tile texture is in there too. You'll need a current version of Firespitter for the switching to work properly.

http://bit.ly/fairingbeta

Known Issues:

1.) The fairing textures are getting compressed to hell. I have no idea why yet. Maybe a Firespitter issue?

2.) The checker stripe on the Gamma fairing doesn't mesh well at the seam. Working on it.

3.) Scaling is a still a bit odd when combining different shaped parts on the TPS tiles (e.g., nosecone and cylinder shapes do not line up.) For now, just don't use combos like that. I'm not sure I can change the geometry of the wrapping for different shapes.

4.) SRB texture still does not scale well when building very tall and narrow SRB's (stock KD25-sized.) Looking at tiling vertically, but need to find the ratio that does not make it tile when making shorter ones.

EDIT: 5.) There's no normal maps for the fairings right now. Working on that.

Shout out to Svm420 who posted the FSTextureSwitch code which helped me build mine.

Sweet! Always liked your textures.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Edited by MainSailor
Added bit about normal maps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just tried out your textures and just wanted to say thanks, they look really good, nice to have modern textures for the procedural parts.

Thanks!

It's been a while since I've worked on these, but I'm going to be getting back into this project and KSP in general. Might be some new stuff coming soon.

• 1 month later...
Thanks!

It's been a while since I've worked on these, but I'm going to be getting back into this project and KSP in general. Might be some new stuff coming soon.

Did you get back into it? Your textures have always been my favourite. No disrespect to any other texture creators out there, but I love your style and designs.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Pronoes']Did you get back into it? Your textures have always been my favourite. No disrespect to any other texture creators out there, but I love your style and designs.[/QUOTE]

No I've been quite sidetracked. Been playing a lot of Space Engineers and Elite Dangerous, both of which have been taking up a lot of time. In addition I've been playing a 64k install that uses up quite a bit of memory, so I've had to really scavenge my mods folder, including even dumping about 90% of my own textures (because I really realized that they are still far from optimized, memory-wise.)

I have a pseudo-B9 pack that I've built a few textures for, but I'm having weird issues on both of my installs where certain greys take on a green cast to them. It seems to be an issue with the DDS textures, because when I test them with PNG's, they look great. I'm using the Nvidia Photoshop plugin for DDS conversion, but since I know almost nothing about DDS formats (I deal mainly with PDF & Postscript IRL) I don't know what options I should be selecting. Maybe I'll just export to PNG and use that old PNG2DDS KSP program that was here when DDS Loader was around.

[quote name='MainSailor']No I've been quite sidetracked. Been playing a lot of Space Engineers and Elite Dangerous, both of which have been taking up a lot of time. In addition I've been playing a 64k install that uses up quite a bit of memory, so I've had to really scavenge my mods folder, including even dumping about 90% of my own textures (because I really realized that they are still far from optimized, memory-wise.)

I have a pseudo-B9 pack that I've built a few textures for, but I'm having weird issues on both of my installs where certain greys take on a green cast to them. It seems to be an issue with the DDS textures, because when I test them with PNG's, they look great. I'm using the Nvidia Photoshop plugin for DDS conversion, but since I know almost nothing about DDS formats (I deal mainly with PDF & Postscript IRL) I don't know what options I should be selecting. Maybe I'll just export to PNG and use that old PNG2DDS KSP program that was here when DDS Loader was around.[/QUOTE]

My knowledge of everything you just said is limited to knowing I can open and edit DDS files with paint.net =D

Fair play to you dude. Textures are great regardless and if you're doing other stuff that's cool.

SHAMELESS PLUG - I used a slightly edited version of your textures in my [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd9F6Nh0MGk"]first video[/URL]. Hope you don't mind!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2015, 3:42:52, Pronoes said:

My knowledge of everything you just said is limited to knowing I can open and edit DDS files with paint.net =D

Fair play to you dude. Textures are great regardless and if you're doing other stuff that's cool.

SHAMELESS PLUG - I used a slightly edited version of your textures in my first video. Hope you don't mind!

Have you looked at GIMP? I don't know if it can natively open DDS, but it might be easier to do edits with than Paint.Net (which I have very little experience with.)

Hey, that's cool that you're using them for you videos. I'll take a look although I already got a chuckle at the series name (A.R.S.E.).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2016 at 4:31 AM, Phineas Freak said:

Bug report: the "TPS" config is requesting the "tiles" and "tiles_NRM" textures but these are not included in the pack.

Good catch. The original was removed and the new one was in the beta texture pack, but never added to the baseline pack.

I've dropped the new Tiles texture into the zip from the top post...you can just download that file again and it should be correct. I think the scaling from the cfg still works...will have to test later as I don't have KSP installed where I'm at right now.

Also:

Q4zEU8Uh.jpg

...if it's good enough for Scott Manley, it's good enough for you :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.