MainSailor's Textures (for Procedural Parts) - VERSION 2! (Now with more history) 5th of April 2016

MainSailor

Hi Mainsailor,

I tried installing as instructed above, but I'm running into a problem where the textures aren't showing up in game at all. If you want to see what I mean, here's a link to a video I made explaining it:

I'd really like to use your mod in KSP so I hope this helps to point out any potential issues there could be.

Thanks,

Caeden.

On 4/16/2016 at 6:50 PM, Caeden said:

Hi Mainsailor,

I tried installing as instructed above, but I'm running into a problem where the textures aren't showing up in game at all. If you want to see what I mean, here's a link to a video I made explaining it:

Thanks,

Caeden.

Hmm unusual. Let me look through your video and see if anything stands out. By any chance do you have Dynamic Texture Loader installed (I have had issues with that loading them in the past.) OK it doesn't look like it. And you don't have issues with the other Procedural Parts textures either, so it's something specific to this pack.

I haven't tried these in OpenGL mode as I typically use DX11, but I will try them with OpenGL. I don't suspect an issue there as other textures in the game are DDS and don't have issues loading either.

Edit: OK no, you do have them in the correct location. Right in the main GameData folder.

Can you please do me a favor and show me a screenshot of what files are in the Essentials folder? All of the configs currently pull from a common 'end' texture and while I can't see that causing an issue, that's the one that is common between all the other 'sub-folders'.

Edited by MainSailor

10 hours ago, MainSailor said:

Can you please do me a favor and show me a screenshot of what files are in the Essentials folder? All of the configs currently pull from a common 'end' texture and while I can't see that causing an issue, that's the one that is common between all the other 'sub-folders'.

Here are the screenshots of the Essentials folder. Hope it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukf4incjgbklc3m/Capture1.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzma1wj3jk2ksdp/Capture2.PNG?dl=0

15 hours ago, Caeden said:

OK thanks. As I suspected everything is in the right place, which means the game engine itself isn't loading them for some reason. The fact you have thumbnails even tells me they uncompressed correctly (and I'm sure you tried unzipping them again when you encountered the issue.) 

Can you also do me a favor and upload the output_log.txt file the KSP_Data folder as well please? Dropbox is also fine for that.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but if there's an error somehow pulling the textures in, it will most likely be noted there.

The only thing I haven't done is tried OpenGL mode on my non-dev machine. I had no issues on my dev laptop, but that's an older card versus the GTX 970 that is in my gaming rig. Unfortunately I only have Nvidia cards in both of my KSP computers, by any chance are you using an AMD card? I can't see that being an issue but it's worth asking about at least.

8 hours ago, MainSailor said:

Can you also do me a favor and upload the output_log.txt file the KSP_Data folder as well please? Dropbox is also fine for that.

Here's the link for the output file from KSP_Data. I am running a GTX970, on an i7-5820K system, so I don't think the graphics is an issue either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e9lur043yhhqe6/output_log.txt?dl=0

OK I'm at a loss.

zPDiCtb.jpg

The log indicates they are being loaded into memory without issues. Which means the game has them but for some reason pParts can't access them. Do you have Procedural Fairings installed? Can you see if those textures are coming in? If so, it indicates it's not the textures, it's a pParts issue. Unfortunately I don't have a way to pull an additional log for that (that I know of.)

11 hours ago, Caeden said:

I am running a GTX970, on an i7-5820K system, so I don't think the graphics is an issue either.

Heh same card, ok. So there's one variable I can cross off.

Can you also do me a favor and select to show file extensions? I'm guessing your running Windows 10, so I'm not sure how to enable that there, but I know in Win 7 you can just type 'folder options' into the Start/Run panel and there's an option in there. Occasionally when files are named .DDS vs .dds, they will fail to be recognized (but I'm guessing this isn't the case, due to the fact they are loading according to the log.) The .zip file contains lower case, but sometimes certain programs can rename them (I had this issue testing on a Macbook.)

I'm sorry for the rather delayed responses, I have been pretty busy at work this week and my wife is also out of town which complicates things a bit at home. Literally 7 am is about the only time I have to get on the forums right now ;.;

8 hours ago, MainSailor said:

The log indicates they are being loaded into memory without issues. Which means the game has them but for some reason pParts can't access them. Do you have Procedural Fairings installed?

--

Can you also do me a favor and select to show file extensions? I'm guessing your running Windows 10, so I'm not sure how to enable that there, but I know in Win 7 you can just type 'folder options' into the Start/Run panel and there's an option in there. Occasionally when files are named .DDS vs .dds, they will fail to be recognized (but I'm guessing this isn't the case, due to the fact they are loading according to the log.) The .zip file contains lower case, but sometimes certain programs can rename them (I had this issue testing on a Macbook.)

I'm sorry for the rather delayed responses, I have been pretty busy at work this week and my wife is also out of town which complicates things a bit at home. Literally 7 am is about the only time I have to get on the forums right now ;.;

I don't have pFairings installed in this directory, and there are no other parts I use that have variable textures.

I checked the file extensions in the GameData folder for both pParts and Mainsailor, and they are coming up as .dds, I added another screenshot if you want to see. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro, on DX11, if that makes any difference. I am running .0.5, not the prerelease so I don't think that's an issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p2acbxnthu8zh1/Capture3.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m3238542w5bjrv/Capture4.PNG?dl=0

And no worries on your replies. I'm studying engineering now so the only time I get to check the forum is at like 12am!

I'm going to be taking a look at this issue some more this weekend, as I should have some time then to really dig into some issues.

I'm also going to be looking into slightly reshading some of the textures as well, I noticed that 1.1 and Unity 5 looks slightly different (like there's a different gamma value in scene rendering) that makes the parts look brighter and have more contrast.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize, I have been away for quite some time. Many issues in both work and family life have prevented me from working on this/playing/generally being around, etc.

@Caeden, did you ever get these to work? Have you tried with 1.1 yet? I admit that I tried them under many different scenarios and could not replicate the issue you were having, so I'm not sure that it wasn't some kind of a bug in an older version of pParts. I see it has been updated to...phew, 1.1.2(?) is the version we're on now.

Some general news:

Development of these is halted for the near term (over the summer.) I've been tasked with rebuilding a publication we produce at work that is ~600 pages, and trying to replicate the work of a former employee who didn't use Adobe programs and was not very knowledgeable in publishing. It's been a nightmare, to say the least. It was easier to start over from scratch than rebuild from their old document.

I'm also looking to upload what will be a very large pack of source textures, most likely a package of PNG files that have not been resized or compressed for those that want to edit/remix these textures, and would be released under the same permissive license (Creative Commons CC BY NC SA). You're welcome to share your package as long as I'm credited as the original author, non-commercial (don't sell or ask for donations), and share under the same license. I would share the actual source files, but I do most of my work in InDesign and sharing those would be a non-trivial exercise (if you work in publishing, you know how much of a pain packaging INDD files can be.) I've been working on porting them over to pure Photoshop documents but that's a process that has been interrupted and isn't complete enough that I'd feel comfortable sharing those.

On 5/8/2016 at 7:41 AM, Phineas Freak said:

@MainSailorjust a heads up, the white version and the Gamma version of the Soyuz fairings have the same part module name (MainSailorFairing001) assigned to them (the white version will not load because it gets overwritten by the Gamma version).

Good catch thanks. Will post an updated version shortly.

On 5/3/2016 at 7:37 AM, MainSailor said:

I'm also looking to upload what will be a very large pack of source textures, most likely a package of PNG files that have not been resized or compressed for those that want to edit/remix these textures, and would be released under the same permissive license (Creative Commons CC BY NC SA). You're welcome to share your package as long as I'm credited as the original author, non-commercial (don't sell or ask for donations), and share under the same license. I would share the actual source files, but I do most of my work in InDesign and sharing those would be a non-trivial exercise (if you work in publishing, you know how much of a pain packaging INDD files can be.) I've been working on porting them over to pure Photoshop documents but that's a process that has been interrupted and isn't complete enough that I'd feel comfortable sharing those.

You edited your textures in InDesign..? o.0

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

You edited your textures in InDesign..? o.0

Heh yep. I'm in publishing and graphic design, and was brought up with Pagemaker. I know I should be using Photoshop or at least Illustrator but I'm the most familiar with ID so that's what I stick to.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2016 at 2:39 PM, MrMeeb said:

So, I was just looking around at your cfgs to try and make my own fairing for personal use, and...

fhGiDH2.png

u cheeky 

I thought about hiding it further in the cfg, but at least this would appear in the part description in the VAB. Just a little shout-out. :)

On 5/28/2016 at 6:37 PM, Bev7787 said:

Just wondering why the Multibody textures aren't there

It should appear under SaturnMultibody, or if you have an older version (from the dev branch) ThetaCeres. If you have all the other textures installed, it should be loading as well. If not, please attach your output_log.

On 5/8/2016 at 7:41 AM, Phineas Freak said:

@MainSailorjust a heads up, the white version and the Gamma version of the Soyuz fairings have the same part module name (MainSailorFairing001) assigned to them (the white version will not load because it gets overwritten by the Gamma version).

Version 2.0.0.0.0.0.1 (or something like that :D) has been pushed to Spacedock. All it does is rename the White Soyuz fairing part name so that it appears correctly. Thanks to @Phineas Freak for spotting the issue.

On 03/05/2016 at 0:37 PM, MainSailor said:

@Caeden, did you ever get these to work? Have you tried with 1.1 yet? I admit that I tried them under many different scenarios and could not replicate the issue you were having, so I'm not sure that it wasn't some kind of a bug in an older version of pParts. I see it has been updated to...phew, 1.1.2(?) is the version we're on now.

Yes, I managed to get it to work once KSP switched over to 1.1.2, and updated a patch for pParts. All the textures for both fairings and parts are working now. Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
On 6.7.2016 at 6:30 PM, Phineas Freak said:

@Gordon DryPFFE includes it's own fairing textures but they overwrite the default (static) ones. To add the MainSailor textures you must create custom texture switching configs for Firespitter.

I have the same issue as Gordon Dry... how do I do that?

PFFE uses a Firespitter module (FSTextureSwitch2) to add a list of possible textures for the fairing parts. The module specifies (and requires) that the textures must be under a specific directory (e.g. GameData/ProceduralFairings-ForEverything/Textures). That means if you want to use other textures (in our case the MainSailor PF textures) you have to:

• Search for the textures you want to use.
  • Copy them to the PFFE texture directory.
  • Update the MM patch that it is used to add the textures to include the new ones.
  • Make sure that you did not !*#^%& up somewhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.