Replica Launchers [New Atlas V and Proton for 1.0.4]

Kurotenshi

Unfortunately, pretty much all staging events...

The first and second staging events often cause weird ghost forces and subsequent explosions, as well as weird physicless decouplers flying through everything else. Then, when the CSM decouples, it gets throw off axis by some weird force, no idea where that's coming from. I've completely rebuilt it, and as a result the part count is higher, but it's more realistic. But it still has all the issues the previous one did. I tested the current Saturn V with a dummy payload, and then it works perfectly fine. I saved that as a subassemblies, and put it under the Apollo payload. Suddenly, all these faults crop up during launch, seemingly out of nowhere. Also, there's the lag, which starts out like what I would expect for 450 parts. But it stays, even as stages get dropped. and when turning with SAS or RCS, it sometimes completely freezes, until you let go of whatever key you're pressing. Even when just in control of the CSM, with only the third stage and fairing pieces nearby.

It's a real mess, and it's pretty discouraging...

Which is why I let it be for a while, and redid the Atlas V and Delta IV rockets, so I wouldn't get too frustrated.

Edited by Kurotenshi

The new SLS/Orion system, but the current Orion design holds four astronauts. Sorry to nitpick. I applaud your for getting the fairings, interstage, and booster width right. Those always held me back while attempting to build the SLS/Orion system :) I love your craft, especially the Gamma series which is just a work of lifting power art.

See here

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/fs-2014-08-004-jsc-orion_quickfacts-web.pdf

Saw it on Wikipedia as well. But in order to have only four pods, I'd have to rip out the symmetry, and the find a suitable replacement for the 2 missing capsules. So yeah, I kept that in from my older design :P

I could perhaps clip an Mk1 Pod into an Mk1-2 pod, but I just like the look of six of them, it also gives a more flatter look than the Mk1-2 pod, which I think fits closer to the design of the Orion. And when it comes to my designs, an accurate crew capacity is rather low on the list. For example, my Dream Chaser has a max crew of 6, instead of 7. And with the Kliper, it's the other way around :P

Unfortunately, pretty much all staging events...

The first and second staging events often cause weird ghost forces and subsequent explosions, as well as weird physicless decouplers flying through everything else. Then, when the CSM decouples, it gets throw off axis by some weird force, no idea where that's coming from. I've completely rebuilt it, and as a result the part count is higher, but it's more realistic. But it still has all the issues the previous one did. I tested the current Saturn V with a dummy payload, and then it works perfectly fine. I saved that as a subassemblies, and put it under the Apollo payload. Suddenly, all these faults crop up during launch, seemingly out of nowhere. Also, there's the lag, which starts out like what I would expect for 450 parts. But it stays, even as stages get dropped. and when turning with SAS or RCS, it sometimes completely freezes, until you let go of whatever key you're pressing. Even when just in control of the CSM, with only the third stage and fairing pieces nearby.

It's a real mess, and it's pretty discouraging...

Which is why I let it be for a while, and redid the Atlas V and Delta IV rockets, so I wouldn't get too frustrated.

If you PM me the craft file I can try to figure out the issues it's having.

• 2 weeks later...
The first stage is a little short, but it looks great overall, really nice fairing. I have some plans to redo my fairings as well, although I want to try to avoid using panels, as they're pretty heavy.

Lately, I found myself wishing for stock (procedural) fairings a lot :( It would save so much in part count, and avoid all the messing about that comes with building fairings now.

Edit: How's the wobble btw?

woble is still there, but only slitghly noticible with soft manouvering. sadly the partcount is over 300. need to reduce it to somehow 250 for using as a main 20 ton launcher...

no update on the proton right now, because i got distracted by my Energia M :)

Update time!

I changed fairings for a few Roscosmos craft, changing them from being a 3-way spilt, to a more accurate 2-way split:

Proton M subassembly went from 211 to 195 parts

Parom went from 326 to 311 parts on launch

TKS went from 284 to 268 parts on launch

Also, I decided to release my Apollo Project, unfortunately without Skylab, as an unresolved kraken bug seems to have killed it :(

Make sure you read the info text though, otherwise things might go horribly wrong ;)

If I do that, mediafire doesn't give a download for the text file, you'd have to copy-paste it from the site. Besides, I like to keep them together, if there are specific ones you want, just download the whole thing an keep the ones you want, they're small files after all. Or is the problem the .rar format?

Not related to the thread, but I recommend 7-zip. You can still unzip (or "un-RAR" :P) ZIP's, RAR's, and 7z's and you can create 7z files, which have better compression than ZIP and RAR. Also, it's open source and really is free, so you don't get bugged about purchasing anything.

Another thing is it doesn't change the look for ZIP file icons as WinRAR does, which is something I like as I think the default icon blends better with Windows. Anyways that's just my little rant. Never understood why more people everywhere (Minecraft, KSP, etc) use WinRAR when 7-zip is available. My friend uses WinRAR and every time I try to unzip something I get interrupted by the purchase screen.

Sorry guys, I apologize for this long and pointless rant post :P I've said it before, but I love your crafts Kurotenshi. I use your fairing designs for my rockets when I play. :)

Oh, does 7-zip do .rar's too, didn't know that :P and long rant? I've seen longer, waaaaay longer, so no biggy :)

and thanks, Always nice to hear my designs being used by other people n.n I'm finally redoing the Ariane 5 atm, it's been a bit quiet due to real life responsabilities. I might try to make the Briz M/KM more realistic, with an actual droptank, after Ariane's revamp.

That's quite timely... I recently updated an Ariane 5 from last year, too! Looking forward to see how it's like. Knowing how your designs are, it will probably end up looking better than mine. :)

F9jYeVi.png?1
- Here's mine

kOwMDGk.png
- Old design for horrible comparison

I find I'm a lot more tidy now with my designs and try to make it look clean. About 7-zip, it can unpack RAR files but not create them. I honestly don't have a problem with WinRAR and if it's comfortable for you, then use it. :) I just like the simplicity of 7-zip.

Edited by Woopert

The dowload link is in the title of each agency, and contains all craft shown in the pictures. If you click on the "Roscosmos" title for example, you go to the downloadpage for that pack (containing the Proton and Soyuz launch vehicles, and all their payloads/upper stages)

• 2 months later...

I've started updating these packs from 0.90 to 1.0.2, and I'm rebuilding all craft from the ground up, first to be completed is the Roscosmos pack

Changelog:

Proton M

Subassembly went from 195 to 130 parts

Salyut 1 went from 233 to 166 parts on launch, and from 36 to 32 parts in orbit

Salyut 4 went from 228 to 161 parts on launch, and from 31 to 27 parts in orbit

Salyut 6 went from 214 to 159 parts on launch, and from 29 to 25 parts in orbit

TKS went from 268 to 214 parts on launch, and from 73 to 70 parts in orbit

Block D and Briz M removed indefinitely

FGB, Mir 2 and Fuel Module added in the expansion (non-reality based craft)

Soyuz

Subassembly went from 260 to 200 parts

Soyuz went from 306 to 243 parts on launch, and from 41 to 38 parts in orbit

Progress went from 296 to 230 parts on launch, and from 36 to 30 parts in orbit

Parom went from 311 to 159 parts on launch, and from 44 to 56 parts in orbit

Kliper and Fregat removed indefinitely

VA II and Lab Module added in the expansion (non-reality based craft)

Also the dowload file on mediafire is now in .zip format, instead of .rar

All info in the OP as been updated as well, have fun :D

And if I missed anything or something isn't working as advertised, let me know!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.