Replica Launchers [New Atlas V and Proton for 1.0.4]

Kurotenshi

After I've finished the Atlas V (and my exams :(), I'll see what I can do. Should just be some reworking of the FGB for the most part. Maybe I'll even throw in some Mir modules as well.

But in the meantime, just grab the Mir II core, remove the port and starboard docking ports, and voila: Zvezda :D

• 2 months later...

Not to worry, I'm still tinkering. The Atlas family gave me a hard time, but it looks like I've almost got it. The fairing/cargobay overheat bug has temporarily killed my Soyuz FG, so there's a new issue to deal with... The other Roscosmos stuff has been updated where needed, but I'm gonna wait to release that until the Soyuz is fixed.

Also, about those Russian modules. I've built a working shuttle replica, so I'm gonna try to build an almost stock ISS replica, probably using Tweakscale and Infernal Robotic

• 1 month later...

Because I'm a perfectionist :P the 541 (and 421/521) is a nightmare to balance out, and even then it will still have some torque, no matter how well I manage to balance it.

On your 3.5m version, you've place the 4 boosters symmetrically, but on the actual rocket, this isn't the case. The setup is just like the 551 (for production ease), just with one booster less on the side with 3 boosters.

If you guys really want me to I'll see what I can do for those.

Because I'm a perfectionist :P the 541 (and 421/521) is a nightmare to balance out, and even then it will still have some torque, no matter how well I manage to balance it.

On your 3.5m version, you've place the 4 boosters symmetrically, but on the actual rocket, this isn't the case. The setup is just like the 551 (for production ease), just with one booster less on the side with 3 boosters.

If you guys really want me to I'll see what I can do for those.

I changed them in my rebuild Atlas V as far as I can remember. I am not sure if they are in the exact correct position though. I did some testing with offset boosters and it made no difference for me. The torque of the srbs holds it on course.

- - - Updated - - -

It's actually okay easy, I did it on my NH replica. All you have to make sure is that the booster burn equally by tweaking thrust and fuel. Yes, it does fly and get to orbit. Yes there are 5 SRBs.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah315/Yukon0009/screenshot4681_zpsvp691slf.png

Er, The pic you show the boosters are too far apart by the looks of it for a 551.

Also, he is talking about the 541 which has odd booster placement.

Edited by Majorjim

Yeah, 5 is doable, as is 3 (which I've already built and balanced), but 2 or 4 lopsided boosters, now that's some real assymmetry :P

Not to worry peeps, i'm already looking into it, it might require some tinkering and a lot of test flights, but I'll get there, and then you'll have three more rockets to play with :)

Yeah, 5 is doable, as is 3 (which I've already built and balanced), but 2 or 4 lopsided boosters, now that's some real assymmetry :P

Not to worry peeps, i'm already looking into it, it might require some tinkering and a lot of test flights, but I'll get there, and then you'll have three more rockets to play with :)

Have you tried it? I really don't think it makes any difference. I will have a look at my rebuilt one and report back.

Did you try to rotate a bit your liquid engines towards the assymetric thrust to cancel / compensate for the torque ? :) (granted, the rocket will fly sideways a bit - until they pick up enough speed for the aerodynamics to kick in) - but that's the case for the real ones (where it's the SRB exhaust which is angled) - now, for sure, real life engines have great gimbal range (including the SRB nozzles :P) but at least, we got better gimbals in the 1.0x updates :)

The eniges ar 6 LV-T30s clipped together, so rotating the engines themselves and still all the same is quite a hassle, so I tried rotating the SAS unit they're attached too, but the improvement is minimal, and even worse once the boosters are jettisoned. You'll have to countersteer severly, or use Mechjeb :P They're only there for 42 seconds, so it doable, but rather hard

And you mean the gimbels for 1.1? Those are shuttle engines, I actually have a working STS although I had to double the skipper's gimbal range from 2 to 4°), but I'm postponing that untill 1.1 arrivés, so I can rework it properly.

Well, maybe try to switch one of the lv-t30 for a lv-t45 :) those can be invisible within a LV-T30, and still have 3.0 °of gimbal range (if that's enough) :) (unless you add a mk55 with it's 8.0° of gimbal range) - once you drop the SRBs, stability assist modes soumd be able to make use if the gimbal range.

Finally found the time to upload the Atlas V, huuza! :D Had some issues with the second stage on the 500 series, as fairings within fairings tend to go boom once the outer one is jettisoned. As you might have noticed, I've changed the OP layout quite drastically as well.

Now working on the Roscosmos rebuild. Proton is almost done, still quite some work on the soyuz.

Stay tuned folks :)

Edited by Kurotenshi

Just use thrust control in the right click menu, as well as fuel level. I also use RCS build aid to figure out very exactly at what percentage everything should be, as this plugin has an engine balancer as well.

For example: When I balanced the 551, I started by divinding 200% (of two boosters) byy three (for the boosters on the other side). Thus I set the three boosters' thrust and fuel level at 66.5%. However, this isn't perfect yet, and that's were RCS build aid comes in for finetuning.

Edited by Kurotenshi
Yes indeed, ninja'd xO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.