Is it just me or is the Stayputnik useless now?

passinglurker

I use it for the satellite contracts. I always bring one with an antenna, solar panel, and thermometer to any place I go and put it in location before doing the actual mission.

Then it's in place for all time for any "science in space around" contracts I may come across in the future.

I use a 5 orange tank booster that parachutes back to recover about 70% of its value (before the booster falls below the 23k physics limit the 2nd stage gets to orbit or at least above 70km on a course that keeps it below apogee while I recover the booster stage), so I could easily use a Stayputnik on that, alternatively, before you earn the Okto it is possible to use it to fly a rescue craft equiped with a capsule and use the capsule's torque. Flying with a non pilot or a non SAS probe core is tricky, but I did manage a rescue a Kerbal mission with a scientist at the helm a couple of times. Landing on an airless body would be quite tricky though.

in my early career i've been using them as no-return required science grabbers. i didn't notice the no tourqe thing as knowing probe cores i automatically shoved some reaction wheels on it. although the lack of SAS is annoying somehow i managed to get to the mun and minmus with them. time warp freeze may be OP but was really handy.

@5thHorseman/nadreck: If it was more convenient to place (i.e. surface attachable and physics-less) I'd agree that it would have a niche setting off science experiments and parachutes but the unpilotability combined with being the most inconvenient to incorporate into a vehicle out of all the probe cores I just don't see it as worth the ram it takes which is a shame as it was certainly the handsomest probe core compared to those ugly tinfoil covered octo boxes :/

@5thHorseman/nadreck: If it was more convenient to place (i.e. surface attachable and physics-less) I'd agree that it would have a niche setting off science experiments and parachutes but the unpilotability combined with being the most inconvenient to incorporate into a vehicle out of all the probe cores I just don't see it as worth the ram it takes which is a shame as it was certainly the handsomest probe core compared to those ugly tinfoil covered octo boxes :/

Also: It's there. Long (relatively) before the others. And honestly I think it's necessary to have ONE probe core that doesn't have SAS just for completeness sake.

In career mode it has it's place as an early primitive satellite.

The problem with it is that Squad wants career mode to start with a manned craft instead of a satellite.

We need a more realistic tech tree.

I'm of mixed opinions on that. A good chunk of the game's draw is watching the trio's reactions. For a realism mode-- e.g. something like RSS-- restructuring the tech tree to be a seriousface probes-first setup would make sense, but for vanilla semi-cartoony KSP, I'm not sure it does.

In career mode it has it's place as an early primitive satellite.

The problem with it is that Squad wants career mode to start with a manned craft instead of a satellite.

We need a more realistic tech tree.

While I agree Squad should structure the tree to make rover, plane, and probe tactics more accessible off the bat this is still "Kerbal" "Space" program it wouldn't be living up to its name if you can't touch space with kerbals right off the bat.

The name is STAYPUTnik, and it can't stay put when it comes to attitude. Plus if it can't hold up to a LVL 0 kerbal, then there's no point. It's pretty far in the tree, and by that time I had a few LVL 1 kerbals. Seriously, the only point to probes now is so you don't risk valuable pilots. So why can't it have SAS? It should. Maybe they could move the Mk1 to the first tech node, and have a mk2 that has SAS ( I like the spherical shape...) to replace the current one. Also, I think all probes should get SAS and level up as other probes do. Some people like the aesthetic of a certain probe, and for me that's the Stayputnik. Now I can't use it....

Edited by Bill Phil

Some people like the aesthetic of a certain probe, and for me that's the Stayputnik. Now I can't use it....

this this this this I hate the octo, hex, and cube they are just so boring and the shape makes them standout starkly compared to the generally round/cylindrical rocket parts (octo2 is excused on the grounds that its low profile enough for me to ignore)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.