[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Hello mappers,

I\'m back from hiatus and started checking out and experimenting with the new methods in 15.2 and it\'s looking good.

There\'s still a lot of bad stuff going on in my life but I finally started working on the mapper again.

I wanted to ask, seeing as more than 1 person has taken it upon themselves to release versions of this mod, if people want a fixed version of the mod for just the csv collection quickly or not (a day or 2 depending on the time I have available to work on it)

I am asking because the new version I was and now am working on again includes a lot more than just collecting csv\'s and the mapgen tool but this might take a little bit of time to convert from my 14.x dev code and complete (a week? hard to say)

If people desire I can release a 15.2+ version of the basic mapper relatively quick or if they are content with all the new stuff in the last ksp releases and the versions made by other people, I can also just work to complete all the new stuff and release it when it\'s fully finished.

Once again I apologize for the lengthy hiatus, sometimes life just throws too much at a person at the same time to cope with.

Kind regards,

Innsewerants

Hello mappers,

I\'m back from hiatus and started checking out and experimenting with the new methods in 15.2 and it\'s looking good.

There\'s still a lot of bad stuff going on in my life but I finally started working on the mapper again.

I wanted to ask, seeing as more than 1 person has taken it upon themselves to release versions of this mod, if people want a fixed version of the mod for just the csv collection quickly or not (a day or 2 depending on the time I have available to work on it)

I am asking because the new version I was and now am working on again includes a lot more than just collecting csv\'s and the mapgen tool but this might take a little bit of time to convert from my 14.x dev code and complete (a week? hard to say)

If people desire I can release a 15.2+ version of the basic mapper relatively quick or if they are content with all the new stuff in the last ksp releases and the versions made by other people, I can also just work to complete all the new stuff and release it when it\'s fully finished.

Once again I apologize for the lengthy hiatus, sometimes life just throws too much at a person at the same time to cope with.

Kind regards,

Innsewerants

Full version please. :)

Also, welcome back. :)

Hello mappers,

Kind regards,

Innsewerants

Good to see you\'re back!

I was wondering whether your MapGen can use input files with higher precision, i.e. more decimals? If so, people could use the crxTelemetry plugin for the time being, until you release an update. It can be configured to output its data in (almost) the same format as ISA_RAM. It lacks ISA\'s wide-range beam as well as the beautiful antenna part, but for the time being it might just work; I can\'t properly test it because isa_RAM_MapGen.exe doesn\'t like my Linux system:

$ mono isa_RAM_MapGen.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: Culture ID 0 (0x0000) is not a supported culture.
Parameter name: culture
at System.Globalization.CultureInfo..ctor (Int32 culture, Boolean useUserOverride, Boolean read_only) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Globalization.CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo (Int32 culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Globalization.CultureInfo.get_InstalledUICulture () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at isa_RAM_MapGen.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.ArgumentException: Culture ID 0 (0x0000) is not a supported culture.
Parameter name: culture
at System.Globalization.CultureInfo..ctor (Int32 culture, Boolean useUserOverride, Boolean read_only) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Globalization.CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo (Int32 culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Globalization.CultureInfo.get_InstalledUICulture () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at isa_RAM_MapGen.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I say almost the same format because AFAIK ISA_RAM rounds to one decimal, while crxTelemetry uses KSP\'s internal values.

Run a completely separate persistence.sfs file (or a completely separate installation) for mapping The plugin can only map when it\'s on an active ship that\'s experiencing less than 10x time accelleration. If your mapping ship is the only thing in the universe, you won\'t feel tempted to swap to something else when you get bored, and it will reduce the gap produced when you relaunch from the tracking screen.

Beyond that, just make sure that your mapper\'s in a polar orbit, and leave the game running for a dozen hours or so.

Not much higher than you\'d need to be in an equatorial orbit. Over the Mun and Minmus, most of my mapping was done at 10km altitude. It\'s been awhile since I did Kerbin mapping, but I think I may have gone for 200km there. Wherever the limit for 10x speed was.

If you want full coverage, you need a polar orbit. An object in a polar orbit will eventually cover everywhere as the body rotates beneath it. Any significant deviation from a 90-degree inclination will miss the poles.

• 4 weeks later...

When i open the debug console with your mod, everything says 'NaN' after it except for the 'AN:' which has 2 really long decimals. how can i fix? I have a picture as an attachment so you can see for yourself. Once again, i would like to know how to fix this. Thanks!

After all the delays it\'s finally here.

Dropbox just finished my upload.

The new 15.2 Satellite with gui, artifact detection and so on and so forth, started from scratch.

The very, very first flight might load slow and even show stopped responding for a millisecond.

It prepares some stuff and stores it so it only has to do this once unless a new planet gets added.

It\'s not fully future planet proof with all the new features but it should be ver easy to add in support for planets in new ksp updates.

The gui still hasn\'t had much love, I was focussing on getting everything working correctly. Polish can be done in an update.

I still haven\'t decided what to do with the extra texture space, it has to do with plas that haven\'t (yet?) made it in.

I can remove it to clear some space for people on lower resolutions, or perhaps I can experiment how much it can draw without getting too many complaints about ksp crawling to a halt.

Anyway I hope you all like it despite the long time it\'s been.

Updated front page with new info, changelog etc.

Cheers! Innsewerants

PS. Don\'t forget to toggle on raw data collection if you want to collect csv data for MapGen ^^

Good to see you\'re back!

I was wondering whether your MapGen can use input files with higher precision, i.e. more decimals? If so, people could use the crxTelemetry plugin for the time being, until you release an update. It can be configured to output its data in (almost) the same format as ISA_RAM. It lacks ISA\'s wide-range beam as well as the beautiful antenna part, but for the time being it might just work; I can\'t properly test it because isa_RAM_MapGen.exe doesn\'t like my Linux system:

Mapgen handles them as doubles so you can feed it a lot more than 2 decimals precision.

Although unless you have a bundle of drivespace for the csv and want to render 36000x18000px big maps or very zoomed in regions..

36000x18000 would be the biggest isa projection map you can render without gaps using a full data set at current resolution and no extrapolation. In such a size map 1 pixel width would equal a mere 104.7m on the equator of Kerbin.

a full set without duplicates at the current resolution would run into gigabytes and there are plenty of duplicates that build up over time in raw csv collection.

each line of lat;lon;elevation in the csv\'s is between 11 and 16 or so bytes times 648.000.000 coordinates total at 2 decimal resolution.

My code also fetches the unity internal values, it only rounds them to 2 just before saving them.

As for the linux thing, seems to be incompatible with the culturecode stuff I had to use in c#. I\'m unsure if this is something I can/need to fix on my end.

Mapgen handles them as doubles so you can feed it a lot more than 2 decimals precision.

Although unless you have a bundle of drivespace for the csv and want to render 36000x18000px big maps or very zoomed in regions..

36000x18000 would be the biggest isa projection map you can render without gaps using a full data set at current resolution and no extrapolation. In such a size map 1 pixel width would equal a mere 104.7m on the equator of Kerbin.

a full set without duplicates at the current resolution would run into gigabytes and there are plenty of duplicates that build up over time in raw csv collection.

each line of lat;lon;elevation in the csv\'s is between 11 and 16 or so bytes times 648.000.000 coordinates total at 2 decimal resolution.

My code also fetches the unity internal values, it only rounds them to 2 just before saving them.

It does run into gigabytes, I\'ve put up an archive of Kerbin csv data (~1GB packed, ~3GB raw, no duplicates) recently. If anyone is interested, get it while it\'s still hot; download URL can be found in the Kerbin Geographic Society thread:

[i replied t]here because it\'s neither ISA_RAM format, nor was it collected using ISA_RAM.

I\'ll leave it up for a while, but will ultimately remove it again simply because of its size ;)

As for the linux thing, seems to be incompatible with the culturecode stuff I had to use in c#. I\'m unsure if this is something I can/need to fix on my end.

Since you didn\'t provide the source to [tt]isa_RAM_MapGen.exe[/tt], there\'s not much I can do on my end, either ;)

I tried setting [tt]LC_ALL=en_US[/tt] and a few other locales, but that didn\'t help. No idea what else I could try.

But then, as far as I can tell, the MapGen is deprecated anyway, isn\'t it? Ah no, I see it\'s still there.

This is one of the coolest plugins. The update was well worth the wait.

Would it be possible to adapt it to do slope of terrain measurement?

I find one of the biggest problems in landing is finding a landing spot that is (close to) horizontal.

Landing on a slope of (estimated) more than some 15 degrees is likely to topple all but the smallest landers, break some legs and end in explosions. Even small landers are likely to get into trouble unless the descent velocity is very low.

So i\'m wondering if the ISA mapper would be accurate enough to sample the terrain directly below a descending lander or during a relatively brief hover, and from the data calculate the average slope (or \'non-horizontalness\') of the terrain directly under the lander.

I figure it would work only at a modest altitude (a few 100m), sample maybe a 20m by 20m area, taking maybe a couple of seconds.