[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Great mod. Just started using it and I have most of Kerbin mapped after one day with a very detailed map. I was getting a very detailed map orbiting JUST below 70,000 meters (around 69500 to 70000) but apparently there is enough air to take it out of orbit and my mapping orbiter crashed on the south pole and survived, but its not getting back up now.

Slick plugin - I love it.

There's one thing I'd like to see, though - a pod of some sort that gives you access to the map and all its functions, but doesn't do any mapping itself. This is really useful for sticking on spaceplanes, for instance, but it's kinda silly to have a giant dish sticking off it.

Thanks!

I've been using the MapSat for a while now and I noticed that the most efficient setup was to put 2 dishes on the opposite sides of the satellite. 1 wasn't enough and left gaps in the map because the satellite would keep rotating in several directions. Also, having 2 dishes meant that instead of using mechjeb to keep the satellite oriented so that I get a whole map, I can leave it on for a few hours on 10x warp and it'll have a complete map for me.

I've been using the MapSat for a while now and I noticed that the most efficient setup was to put 2 dishes on the opposite sides of the satellite. 1 wasn't enough and left gaps in the map because the satellite would keep rotating in several directions. Also, having 2 dishes meant that instead of using mechjeb to keep the satellite oriented so that I get a whole map, I can leave it on for a few hours on 10x warp and it'll have a complete map for me.

I'm pretty sure the orientation of the dish is only cosmetic. I can orient a mapping satellite so that the dish is prevented from aiming at the planet and it has zero effect on the mapping ability and quality.

I'm pretty sure the orientation of the dish is only cosmetic. I can orient a mapping satellite so that the dish is prevented from aiming at the planet and it has zero effect on the mapping ability and quality.

I am going to have to go ahead and say you're right on this. I've been running experiments with different setups with little to no change in scanning.

Here's a spysat. It's all ISA mappers and cameras. 24 on this one, I think. Doesn't do anything more than a 1-dish sat would do.

ddh8q.png

I am going to have to go ahead and say you're right on this. I've been running experiments with different setups with little to no change in scanning.

Here's a spysat. It's all ISA mappers and cameras. 24 on this one, I think. Doesn't do anything more than a 1-dish sat would do.

I tried something similar. Here is RORSAT Ib, with a single mapsat antenna on the right.

zZASM.png

The multitude of dishes is just for looks (since it's supposedly a <u>R</u>adar <u>O</u>cean <u>R</u>econnaissance <u>SAT</u>ellite). RORSAT Ia had mapsat antennae all around the periphery and it made the same maps that RORSAT Ib does with a single mapsat antenna.

Really? I had weird skips in the map if I use 1 dish and leave it be. 1 additional dish isn't much weight but I think I need to do some testing anyway to get all additional weight off my crafts :P

Really? I had weird skips in the map if I use 1 dish and leave it be.

Must be something else causing it.

Could be that your orbit's apoapsis was over 500km, which is beyond the range of the mapsat antenna. In such a situation you get blank spots on your map when your orbit went past 500km, then it'd start again as you descended below 500.

My orbit was 80/82 or something. I'll look into it and try to replicate the bug, could also be that it doesn't like warping.

It works at up to 10x warp speed, although warping doesn't change the rate at which the plugin polls the surface. Therefore at 5x or 10x speed you'll get fewer data points per unit of distance traveled and thus inferior coverage compared to 1x speed, although there shouldn't be any gaps, per se, just more distance between points.

Left my PC on for the day, after realizing I spent 3 hours in a equatorial orbit, I fixed it and came away with this beauty of a map for the mun

UNoGI.png

for the time beeing thats my best result

mun800.th.gif

spending a night (6-7h) at 91° and a day (10h) at 80°

Left my PC on for the day, after realizing I spent 3 hours in a equatorial orbit, I fixed it and came away with this beauty of a map for the mun

UNoGI.png

For spoiler tags to work, I think you need to do "

after the first spoiler tag...without quotes, of course.

UNoGI.png

Version 3.2.0 is out!!

After being distracted with new mod idea's finally a new update :)

Most important change is another instance fixed where textures could get replaced by corrupted ones but it includes several relatively big changes:

-Replaced the information panel completely, you can now look up wiki data on any body regardless of current orbit and it's in a more readable scrolling window. [MAPSAT]

-Added a mouse tooltip when you hover over the map that gives you the GPS coordinates of the pixel underneath, doesn't work in polar. [MAPSAT]

-Removed saving textures when part gets destroyed for now, you won't lose much and it's a suspect for texture problems. [MAPSAT]

-Fixed another instance where texture corruption could happen. [MAPSAT]

-Changed beam from a premade pattern to a simpler to handle grid [MAPSAT]

-Increased the density of the scan beam a lot [MAPSAT]

-Can't believe noone including me noticed but fixed the north pole being mirrored [MAPSAT & MAPGEN]

(requires rerendering the polar textures, deleting polar textures or manually doing a horizontal mirror on the North pole half, sorry)

-CSV data now collects over a period of time without writing to file as often [MAPSAT]

-The previous change allows me to remove duplicates somewhat, at least per write. [MAPSAT]

Please if your textures are corrupt or contain transparency let MapSat make new ones by removing them prior to starting ksp and mapsat or render new ones using MapGen if you have the csv data or it will keep on drawing on the corrupt ones.

New update.. again.

Forgot to change to my new icon button and to add geostationary orbit information.

Version 3.2.1

-Added forgotten Geostationary orbit altitude and velocity to wiki.[MAPSAT]

-Forgot to change main button to the new icon as planned, fixed.[MAPSAT] (update Parts folder too!)

Ok I've upgraded to the latest cersion and zapped all the stuff in the isa map sat plugindata folder, but for some reason it shows Kerbin as having a minus 912 to 3348 altitude just as I start scanning, is there any way to reset this?

Other then that the new updates looking and working well

Ok I've upgraded to the latest cersion and zapped all the stuff in the isa map sat plugindata folder, but for some reason it shows Kerbin as having a minus 912 to 3348 altitude just as I start scanning, is there any way to reset this?

Other then that the new updates looking and working well

You deleted or didn't copy over the plugindata/isa_mapsat dir or the hilo.dat file therein and it generated a new one without my rounded values.

Replace your current hilo.dat with the one from the zip and all should be back to the normal -1000 to 3500.

You might see some colour change when it passes over already scanned parts but shouldn't be dramatic.

Edited by Innsewerants

You deleted or didn't copy over the plugindata/isa_mapsat dir or the hilo.dat file therein and it generated a new one without my rounded values.

Replace your current hilo.dat with the one from the zip and all should be back to the normal -1000 to 3500.

You might see some colour change when it passes over already scanned parts but shouldn't be dramatic.

Yup that fixed it thanks!

Also will this version work on the new planets when they come out or not?

Edit: The new updates working great so far too, keep up the awesome work!

Edited by Richy teh space man
Adding text

Is the ISA button supposed to be in the pitch area?

Also, i tried to upload a 700kb screenshot but it got rescaled to 23kb. :(

So i removed it due to you could not see anything except a blurry mess.

Is this a restriction or am i doing something wrong?

Edited by zYnthethicz
Removed Screenshot