[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

I've spent the whole day mapping Jool's moons and more. I just read what the resolution actually means, I've been using 400 today. I noticed that at such high res, high altitudes are not only workable, but necessary. Keep in mind that all my scans were taking place as 100x. I'll use Vall as an example, but it gets more dramatic the larger the object is. At 100km, the ship was moving too fast for it to scan correctly, so it ended up with large horizontal gaps. I then went up to 250, which made it a lot better. The best was around 300, which was relatively quick and very high res (it doesn't have any dots/lines in the in-game GUI, even at max zoom). I haven't mapped Tylo perfectly yet, but even at 300km it's moving very quickly, resulting in horizontal lines. I'll guess an altitude of around 1Mm would be better for Tylo.

No way to use this in 0.20.2 For some reason, it allways crashes the game. Even simplest designs, like just stock cocpit stock fuel tank and stock engine, crashes the game on launchpad, if you put Mapsat device on it.

No way to use this in 0.20.2 For some reason, it allways crashes the game. Even simplest designs, like just stock cocpit stock fuel tank and stock engine, crashes the game on launchpad, if you put Mapsat device on it.

The development build is working fine. If it's not working for you, you've done something wrong.

Does it crash when using with 0.20.2 or other mods ?

No it never crashed the game for me. It did make it run out of ram after several hours of continuous scanning but it never crashed. The ram thing resulted in some GUI glitches and slightly choppy FPS at high warp.

Ok, for us to be able to help you all, we need more than "it don't work".

Here are a few steps (compiled) that have helped others. If you want us to help further we need to know you have done at least these:

1) Did you download the version from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/414-0-20-Dev-build-of-Mapsat-4-available-and-blog-update instead of the one on the first message?

2) When you installed the version listed above, did you put in in the GameData directory /as is/, you should have a GameData/Innsewerants Space Agency/Plugins/PluginData/ISA_MapSat/guiTextures directory, if you don't you won't get the map icon or any of the correct buttons. YOU CANNOT RENAME THE "Innsewerants Space Agency" PART (caps for emphasis only) or move any of the directories around.

3) On Windows, If you are having performance issues, go into your network adapters and disable all unused ones. You should have one and only one active network adapter (this is a problem with KSP/Unity).

4) Have you removed any detritus from the old version out of your Parts/Plugins/etc. You can't use your old maps easily, just don't even try.

5) Check the size of your ARTIFACTS.DAT if it is large, you may have to eliminate duplicates. See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/9396-0-20-ISA-MapSat-4-0-Dev-Build?p=420617#post420617 for windows or http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/9396-0-20-ISA-MapSat-4-0-Dev-Build?p=418635&viewfull=1#post418635 for linux/mac

6) On Linux, rename hilo.dat to Hilo.dat or make a symbolic link between the two (ln -s hilo.dat Hilo.dat), this solves a crash/pause on launchpad issue

7) On Linux 64-bit, there is a memory issue that is not ISA related but often manifests when launching ISA parts... it can be fixed by issuing the commands here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24529-The-Linux-compatibility-thread%21?p=449903&viewfull=1#post449903

Once you have done all seven let us know that you have done all seven and we can go from there. If you don't let us know what you have tried already, we don't know what you haven't tried and can't really help. Also including what version, operating system and other pertinent details help.

I'm in a circular 1000km (+/- 1 km) orbit around Kerbin. My satellite has the Mapsat dish. How do I make it start mapping, and where do I see the mapping data? The dish doesn't appear to have any right-click options. On a related note, I also have a kethane detector on the satellite, which appears to be detecting no deposits on Kerbin. (The map view of the detector just shows a black field with a gray line, the path of my satellite across the surface, I assume.)

Ya the map system there is a button in the bottom left hand corner that brings up the map GUI which will have buttons to turn stuff on. The Kethane map, you'll need a polar orbit to work properly it will just keep scanning the same line over and over, in a polar orbit the planet will spin while you circle and your map will be able to map different areas every orbit, why your only seeing a single grey line and no kethane.

Same problem. Using the dev build and crashes the game directly after going to the pad.

I have seen issue on my end too, not crashing so to speak but I've had it 90 percent of the time when I put the dish or the GPS thing on a vehicle it will load and then freeze the game on the pad. If I reset the game and then instantly load the vessel it works, but I get this issue a few times, I narrowed it down to the MAP sat stuff after it kept freezing my rover on the pad I was building and then the satelite I was planning to send to eve.

(Sorry double post =/)

Ok so have tried both realseases with the lateset Kerbal release on Ubuntu 13.04. KSP crashes on moving to the launch pad. no button apears in time for me to stop any recording etc. Laucncher loads but never gets to the point where i can launch it.

Ok so have tried both realseases with the lateset Kerbal release on Ubuntu 13.04. KSP crashes on moving to the launch pad. no button apears in time for me to stop any recording etc. Laucncher loads but never gets to the point where i can launch it.

Go back one page and try number 6;

"6) On Linux, rename hilo.dat to Hilo.dat or make a symbolic link between the two (ln -s hilo.dat Hilo.dat), this solves a crash/pause on launchpad issue"

helped me out :D

My game hard freezes when going to the launchpad if I have any mapsat stuff on it. If I delete exoplanetary launchpads it works fine.

I wrote two messages in the EL thread and both got completely ignored. So I guess the ball is in insewrants court since the EL guy just doesn't give a ****.

So how big is the memory footprint of this? For all the talk of it being a resource hog, taking it out didn't make that big of a difference.

If you're using the dev's prerelease version, it's nearly 1GB of RAM IIRC, on top of KSP and any other parts packs you may run.

ok just installed and went to try and add the dish to a very simple rocket and it hung the entire game when i went to the launchpad.

version installed is from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/414-0-20-Dev-build-of-Mapsat-4-available-and-blog-update

placed sat dish on a pod attached to a simple 1 stage rocket and uppon hitting "launch" the whole thing just stops once in a while it will render the scene incomplete and then hang.

followed steps 1-7 of the last page all other modws work fine but not this one

help please!

...:::EDIT:::...

I just installed on a completely stock install and it seems to work....... does this play well with kethane right now?

Edited by Mechrior
clarification

ok just installed and went to try and add the dish to a very simple rocket and it hung the entire game when i went to the launchpad . . .

Yeah its the memory issue for almost everyone.

Hey, i am having problems with this

I have installed ISA_MapSat Dev 4.0 but i can not see the button on the bottom left corner, and if i click the right place were is should be, the box comes up but without information, help?

If you're using the dev's prerelease version, it's nearly 1GB of RAM IIRC, on top of KSP and any other parts packs you may run.

Hmm, maybe.. Is that why my RAM spikes up when going to the pad? Because Mapsat doesn't seem to make much of a memory difference when I launch the game itself? If so, I might disable it; pity though, it is one of the cooler mods out there, almost must-have.

EDIT: Yep, that's why a lot of people are having crashes, RAM spikes nearly a gig when going to the map thanks to mapsat. Even KW Rocketry doesn't put the crunch on the game the way this thing does.

Edited by Bloodbunny