[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

I know they will bring the 64B out when it's stable, but does anyone know the abouts on when? Month? 6 months? year? our life time?

hehehe, you ever hear the phrase 'dont kick a dead horse'.....if Squad has an eta for something is usualy up in a devblog rather fast. Asking for an eta is pointless...kinda like....you see where this is going ya =P

And if you want 64bit KSP go buy linux OS, though from what i hear it drops all the time even full vanilla.

I have a lot of mods on my game and ran into problems, so for now I went back to MapSat version 3.3.4 .

It's an option if you don't want to remove other mods.

Hey, I was just wondering if you have to do anything special to use the old version. I didn't think it would work.

I have a lot of mods on my game and ran into problems, so for now I went back to MapSat version 3.3.4 .

It's an option if you don't want to remove other mods.

I might do that.

This is a very good mod. It is worth waiting rather than have it cobbled up or dumbed down. As for the memory problem, that is not a fault of the mod. There will be as many complaining here when it goes 64 bit because they only have 32 bit as those of us that are complaining now over 32 bit. This program is not really a memory hog, considering how it works, on a modern operating system. I really do not want it dumbed down or designed to pump the data out of the game off line. That would ruin the fun. It takes a while to go everywhere and map things, but once it is on the drive and you've visited the Easter Eggs, then what?

I would like to hear from insewerants more often and I would like another version that is closer to the release, but this is his, I tip my hat, and say, tongue in cheek, hurry up!

Hey, I was just wondering if you have to do anything special to use the old version. I didn't think it would work.

Just remove the 4.0 Dev Build from the Gamedata file if you have it installed.

Then install the 3.3.4 version the way you normally did in the older versions of KSP.

That is, put the parts in the Parts folder and Plugin and PluginData in their appropriate folders.

The only issue I ran into was when I started mapping, I received the "no terrain detected screen" instead of the black screen.

Once I started mapping it worked normally and it will map over that screen.

I have used version 4.0 and it's a great version, but not everyone can run it if they use a lot of mod parts.

This is just an option for those people.

Just remove the 4.0 Dev Build from the Gamedata file if you have it installed.

Then install the 3.3.4 version the way you normally did in the older versions of KSP.

That is, put the parts in the Parts folder and Plugin and PluginData in their appropriate folders.

The only issue I ran into was when I started mapping, I received the "no terrain detected screen" instead of the black screen.

Once I started mapping it worked normally and it will map over that screen.

I have used version 4.0 and it's a great version, but not everyone can run it if they use a lot of mod parts.

This is just an option for those people.

Thanks for that, I will try the old version. I really like the 4.0 version, but I had to make the hard decision to not use it because of the excessive memory usage situation. I am one of the people that likes to run a few other mods I guess :)

Cheers

I might do that.

On the flip side, after a lot of grumbling I opted to delete a number of mods, and I feel much better as a result... things are less cluttered and more stable, and so many of the parts and plugins that I was hesitant to let go of really haven't been missed at all.

Bug Report:

MapSat (dev-build X4r1) (both the satellite dish and GPS) is freezing my game at craft-launch.

I can attach the parts as usual on the VAB and SPH, but when I launch the crafts the game freezes up and I have to use the task manager to force KSP to shut down.

The problem is probably loop-related, and where memory is being allocated, because whatever causes the freeze also causes KSP to eat up all my available RAM memory (and I have 6 GB RAM with the system only taking about 1.5 GB, so it's eating up a. bloody. awful. LOT!)

Useful related info on my end:

KSP version: 0.20.2

ISA version: dev-build X4r1

RAM: 6 GB (3x2 GB) 1600 MHz

If you need any more info, I will reply ASAP.

Bug Report:

MapSat (dev-build X4r1) (both the satellite dish and GPS) is freezing my game at craft-launch.

I can attach the parts as usual on the VAB and SPH, but when I launch the crafts the game freezes up and I have to use the task manager to force KSP to shut down.

The problem is probably loop-related, and where memory is being allocated, because whatever causes the freeze also causes KSP to eat up all my available RAM memory (and I have 6 GB RAM with the system only taking about 1.5 GB, so it's eating up a. bloody. awful. LOT!)

This has been mentioned a bajillion times in this thread. MapSat 4.0 requires a gig or so of memory to run. You'll need to delete some parts/plugins in order to free-up memory.

You'll know you've deleted enough parts when the task manager shows KSP as using less than 2.5 gigs when not in flight. Until then, PURGE!

This has been mentioned a bajillion times in this thread.

Oops! I usually take a look up to 3 pages back before posting this kind of thing but this time I rushed a little and only did a "KSP ISA MapSat bug on craft launch" and a few similar queries on google, aside from looking up the last page.

Now that I actually went a few pages back before my post I see this is not only "mentioned a bajillion times in this thread", it's kinda the only topic in it for the most part! :0.0:

Totally my fault! Sorry for the trouble! :blush:

MapSat 4.0 requires a gig or so of memory to run. You'll need to delete some parts/plugins in order to free-up memory.

Any idea why is it so? Doesn't look like a "memory heavy" mod to me! I'm almost graduating at System Analysis and Development, so I'll take a look at the source and see if I can find any performance gaps I can improve. If you know anything relevant in this matter, please do get me started!

You'll know you've deleted enough parts when the task manager shows KSP as using less than 2.5 gigs when not in flight. Until then, PURGE!

Actually, I don't know how much memory I'm using now exactly but lowering the texture resolutions to half (in-game option) was enough to get things running. Thanks for the tip!

I don't know if that has been asked, but will the map of the Mun break in .21?

The way I see it is that either the plugin actually looks at the elevation of the terrain under the craft to create the map, or it's has a premade map stored and as it passes over the terrain coordinates it uncovers the image. If the second is the way it works we're gonna get false readings I guess.

Idk Innsewerants could you clear this up? Or could someone else give me the information if it has been said before but I missed it?

This is a request for interface modifications. I love the MechJeb 2 skin and use it on my Chatterer as well. I'd like all my plugins to use that skin by default or at least be selectable. Chatterer has a feature to move the icon where you click it in settings. I'd like this for Mapsat so I can move your icon up to the top with crew manifest, alarm clock, and chatterer.

I don't know if that has been asked, but will the map of the Mun break in .21?

The way I see it is that either the plugin actually looks at the elevation of the terrain under the craft to create the map, or it's has a premade map stored and as it passes over the terrain coordinates it uncovers the image. If the second is the way it works we're gonna get false readings I guess.

Idk Innsewerants could you clear this up? Or could someone else give me the information if it has been said before but I missed it?

The cool thing about Mapsat is that it actually scans the planet. It should be able to handle new planets, or existing planets with new terrain, without any updates being necessary. You may need to enable "Auto-update Hilo.dat" in the Kerbalpedia settings; it determines the maximum and minimum altitude, and is thus necessary for proper map display.

Actually, I don't know how much memory I'm using now exactly but lowering the texture resolutions to half (in-game option) was enough to get things running. Thanks for the tip!
I'm running the game with half texture resolution and it uses maybe 1.5 GB RAM, with ISA mapsat running.