[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

I think we can all agree that the current dev version uses too much memory for it to be useable.

Is there a version in the works that has a smaller footprint or is Mapsat dead for all intents and purposes now?

Ah sorry no I dont agree. Inconvenient but not unusable and not dead yet. KSP with the amount of mods I play with is at its best horribly buggy with or without ISA X4r1 so for me at least it mostly works. Mostly.

As for forking it - I'd recommend against that simply because as Innsewerants has stated several times he or she learned to code while developing this mod. It's probably a bit of a mess in there. An entirely new mod might be a better idea.

Hi there !

Well, I post here because I couldn't "comment" the MapSat's Dev Blog.

So, I have a little problem with it : I have absolutly no textures from ISA MapSat. I've' installed it just today, and I've taken the latest Dev release, shown on its blog.

But, I can't see any button on the UI, and no button to open it (just were lucky to click at the nice place).

For the installation, I've just unzipped the archive in the KSP folder, and merged the directories.

Could please help me, or, if that's not the good Forum's Section, tell me where I should post that ?

Thanks.

Hi there !

Well, I post here because I couldn't "comment" the MapSat's Dev Blog.

So, I have a little problem with it : I have absolutly no textures from ISA MapSat. I've' installed it just today, and I've taken the latest Dev release, shown on its blog.

But, I can't see any button on the UI, and no button to open it (just were lucky to click at the nice place).

For the installation, I've just unzipped the archive in the KSP folder, and merged the directories.

Could please help me, or, if that's not the good Forum's Section, tell me where I should post that ?

Thanks.

You've installed it incorrectly. That's the pre-0.20 method of installing mods, you need to use the current method, which is to put the 'Innsewerants Space Agency' folder in Gamedata (after deleting the bits you put into parts and plugins.)

After that, you need to load the game, throw together something that has Either a Dish or a GPS on it, pull up the Mapsat UI, hit 'kerbalpedia', go to settings, and enable 'Update Hilo.dat' Exit the game, navigate to "<KSP Root>\GameData\Innsewerants Space Agency\Plugins\PluginData\ISA_MapSat" and DELETE hilo.dat entirely. The next time you load a ship with an ISA part on it, this will force it to rebuild the database of maximum and minimum planetary altitudes to accomdate the new planetary surface maps since the dev version was release. It'll make the game seem like it's hanging while it's rebuilding, just be patient.

You'll also want to follow the directions in this post after mapping things, to cut down the memory usage and prevent lag: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/9396-0-20-ISA-MapSat-4-0-Dev-Build?p=420617&viewfull=1#post420617

I want to try to edit an existing .cfg from another stock adapting mod, just to see if I can really do it.

If I wanted to add the GPS funtionality to every probe and pod - which module would I have to add to a .cfg file for use with modulemanager.dll?

Would I have to expect negative impact on performance if there is more then one GPS-pod/-probe on a craft?

I managed to make this work, finally. Instead of having a folder in GameData, I just plopped the Plugins, Parts and PluginData into the empty folders of the same name under KSP_win. Also, they're in aerodynamics. Huh.

Uhhh...huh. Not really supposed to install it that way...You didn't have an old install lurking in said folders while you were trying to install to gamedata did you?

Also, 'They're in Aerodynamics'? There's no 'Aerodynamics' folder...

Hello.

Just wanted to report that I too have previously had problems with the ISA MapSat Dev 4.0 release. The issue I would have is I would be able to load the mod into the game just fine and the parts (i.e. GPS and MapSat Dish) would be available for use, but when I would go to launch the craft after adding said parts, the game would crash to desktop quite immediately.

Unrelated to ISA, I have had various other problems with mods causing game crashes as well, most notable Ferram Aerospace Research and K9 Rocketry, and to my understanding, these are supposed to be fairly functional mods with little to no CTDs. I picked up on an awesome tip while skimming through the posts here, and wanted to share it with everyone else in the event that this was not already mentioned so here goes!

Before, I had KSP_win folder installed into a subfolder directly onto my Desktop. The game would essentially load and run just fine but as I indicated before, I was always plagued with the possibility of CTDs and in some extreme, but rare circumstances, blue screen of death. The problem would compound itself further with the addition of mods.

It was suggested in the forums that you do not place your KSP_win install folder onto your Desktop anywhere. Instead, make a folder on your C:\ (i.e. C:\Squad\KSP_win). When I did this, I deleted my old saves and started fresh. When I loaded everything back up, I installed KSPX Expansion, NovaPunch, B9, LazorDockingCam, and Komos SSPP along with ISA MapSat Dev 4.0.

I constructed a satellite geared with the ISA GPS and ISA MapSat dish, launched, and surprisingly, no CTDs this time. Okay, so far so good. I proceeded to put the sat in a parking orbit 500km above the surface of Kerbin. I turned on SCN and RAW options, and everything is working perfectly. As long as i do not time accelerate too quickly during scanning, the scans are spot on and match the planets topography (at least as visually as I can tell) and everything seems to function.

So in summary, I deleted my folder off my desktop, made a new one on my main harddrive under C:\Squad\KSP_win, ran the Patcher (not sure what this accomplishes, but to me, Patcher suggests that it updates my KSP to correct various bugs and issues), started a brand new game, constructed a small satellite with one ISA GPS unit and ISA MapSat dish, parked at 500km, and turned it on.

I hope this can help someone out there that has been having issues with this. This is such an ESSENTIAL need to the game if you plan on landing on other celestial bodies efficiently!

Please feel free to shoot any questions over to me!

Thanks!

Hello.

Just wanted to report that I too have previously had problems with the ISA MapSat Dev 4.0 release. The issue I would have is I would be able to load the mod into the game just fine and the parts (i.e. GPS and MapSat Dish) would be available for use, but when I would go to launch the craft after adding said parts, the game would crash to desktop quite immediately.

Unrelated to ISA, I have had various other problems with mods causing game crashes as well, most notable Ferram Aerospace Research and K9 Rocketry, and to my understanding, these are supposed to be fairly functional mods with little to no CTDs. I picked up on an awesome tip while skimming through the posts here, and wanted to share it with everyone else in the event that this was not already mentioned so here goes!

Before, I had KSP_win folder installed into a subfolder directly onto my Desktop. The game would essentially load and run just fine but as I indicated before, I was always plagued with the possibility of CTDs and in some extreme, but rare circumstances, blue screen of death. The problem would compound itself further with the addition of mods.

It was suggested in the forums that you do not place your KSP_win install folder onto your Desktop anywhere. Instead, make a folder on your C:\ (i.e. C:\Squad\KSP_win). When I did this, I deleted my old saves and started fresh. When I loaded everything back up, I installed KSPX Expansion, NovaPunch, B9, LazorDockingCam, and Komos SSPP along with ISA MapSat Dev 4.0.

I constructed a satellite geared with the ISA GPS and ISA MapSat dish, launched, and surprisingly, no CTDs this time. Okay, so far so good. I proceeded to put the sat in a parking orbit 500km above the surface of Kerbin. I turned on SCN and RAW options, and everything is working perfectly. As long as i do not time accelerate too quickly during scanning, the scans are spot on and match the planets topography (at least as visually as I can tell) and everything seems to function.

So in summary, I deleted my folder off my desktop, made a new one on my main harddrive under C:\Squad\KSP_win, ran the Patcher (not sure what this accomplishes, but to me, Patcher suggests that it updates my KSP to correct various bugs and issues), started a brand new game, constructed a small satellite with one ISA GPS unit and ISA MapSat dish, parked at 500km, and turned it on.

I hope this can help someone out there that has been having issues with this. This is such an ESSENTIAL need to the game if you plan on landing on other celestial bodies efficiently!

Please feel free to shoot any questions over to me!

Thanks!

Mapsat's kind of a memory hog, so it's possible that it put you over the top and was crashing you with out-of-memory errors. Anything with a lot of textures can potentially do that.

It looks like the edit was a moderator noting that because the author didn't include a license with ISA MapSat, it was released in an "all rights reserved" situation. IE, we can't take the existing mod and update it without violating the original author's rights. Hopefully Innsewerants will come back and either clarify the license, or start working again on the mod. (I really hope for the latter, I love seeing someone blossom and learn from these things)

Hello again my fellow Kerbalnauts!

Okay, so during my three day weekend which I rarely ever get anymore (Woohoo!!!), I had some spare time available for me to setup a testing environment for KSP to see which mods I use play nice with the ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build and which ones seem to bog things down. Below posted are the results of my findings.

First, let me list which mods I specifically have at this time:

ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build (of course! ;) )

NovaPunch v. 2.02 - Updated for 0.21.1

B9 Aerospace Pack R3.3

KSPX Parts Expansion

Kosmos Space Station Parts Pack

Kerbal Engineer Redux v0.6.1.1

Chatterer v0.5

To commence the best testing environment possible, what I would do is I would load each mod individually of each other and check memory usage to see which mods would have the most impact when used in conjunction with ISA MapSat. Let me just clarify that while watching my Task Manager, ISA MapSat always skyrockets my physical memory usage to about 38% - 40% capacity, in my case this is around the neighborhood of 3,000,000 K (around 5.0 GBs give or take. I will usually experience crashing situations when my memory hits about 3,900,000 K or beyond (around 5.5 GBs). So with that being said, let me post how the above listed mods impacted my playing experience while using MapSat with KSP!

KSP (vanilla) no mods\extensions - Memory usage would be in the neighborhood of about 1,700,000 K. Extremely stable and no CTDs to report.

KSP w\ KSPX Parts Expansion - Memory usage hardly changed, would be in the neighborhood of about 1,800,000 K, extremely stable and no CTDs to report.

KSP w\ KSPX Parts Expansion and NovaPunch 2.02 - Memory usage signifigantly increased with addition of NP to KSP, shot memory usage to the neighborhood of around 2,100,000 K, sometimes fluctuating to 2,200,000 K in some cases. Still very stable, no CTDs to report.

KSP w\ KSPX Parts Expansion, NovaPunch 2.02, and B9 Aerospace Pack - Memory usage signifigantly spiked with the addition of B9, right around the neighborhood of around 2,700,000 K. There was on instance of a CTD during my transition from VAB to Space Port, but no others the hour after that.

KSP w\ KSPX, NovaPunch 2.02, B9 Aerospace, and Kosmos Space Station Parts Pack - This increased memory usage to the neighborhood of 2,900,000 K. CTDs were more prevalent after the addition of Kosmos, roughly once every 10 - 15 minutes.

KSP w\ KSPX, NovaPunch 2.02, B9 Aerospace, Kosmos, and Kerbal Engineer Redux v0.6.1.1 - No major increase in memory usage. Still around 2,900,000 K of memory in use. CTDs still happening due to the addition of the other mods. No reason to believe this mod causes crashes itself. Will test individually upon request.

KSP w\ KSPX, NovaPunch 2.02, B9 Aerospace, Kosmos, Kerbal Engineer, and Chatterer v0.5 - No major increase in memory usage. Still around 2,900,000 K of memory in use according to Task Manager. CTDs still happening due to addition of the other mods. No reason to believe this mod causes crashes. Will test individually upon request.

KSP w\ KSPX, NovaPunch 2.02, B9 Aerospace, Kosmos, Kerbal Engineer, Chatterer v0.5, and ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build - Immediate crash to desktop upon launching craft equipped with ISA GPS and ISA Dish. Memory spikes to around 3,900,000 K, sometimes surpassing 4,000,000 K (approx 5.50 - 5.75 GBs of RAM).

What I am using now, and have not had ANY CTDs at this time since I've started:

KSPX Expansion Parts

NovaPunch 2.02

Kerbal Engineer Redux v.0.6.1.1

Chatterer v0.5

ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

The above combination has my phyiscal memory usage at approx 3,300,000 K. To test, I left a MapSat running last night when I went to my girlfriends house and when I returned this morning 6 hours later, it was still running perfectly. Also, please note I updated the map resolution in the Kerbalpedia section to 720 from 200. I navigated around the game very comfortably also with no CTDS (navigated from VAB to Space Port, SpacePort to Tracking Station, ect.).

So in summary, I removed B9 and Kosmos and the removal of these two seems to have freed up a lot of system resources to be used with KSP.

Just wanted to share with everyone. Please feel free to shoot any questions my direction!

*A lot of stuff*

Parts packs are generally the biggest memory hogs, because the thing that really seems to cause memory hoggage is textures. Parts packs tend to have quite a few of them.

Mapsat's kinda bad this way too, at least in part because it has a large number of exceptionally large textures (the maps themselves). I mentioned it to Innsewerants and he's going to look into it when he gets a minute from the game idea of his own he had and has been working on.

He also indicated something which suggested he hadn't been active in part because he's been told Mapsat's still working in the current versions, with the unstated implication that it's his intention to update it should it stop working, at the very least.

When I talked to him a few months ago he had some...interesting ideas for future changes, but it sounds like he's more engrossed in his game idea at the moment. ;)

Can we not simple replace the maptextures with smaler ones?

Or optimised ones for Web Applications?

I mean... do we we ingame real need a x Mbyte big Map? (Is it not a (relative) tiny "screen" ingame?

Edited by Xentoe

My Problem her eis more:

I can insstall it, and have the parts.

But when bring the thing onto the launchpag, it ends in an endless loadscreen (the black one between construction and lanuchsite)

After setting Timewarp to 1, it loads and loads and loads........ (did test it and let it load 3 hours)