[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Because the Mapsat Legacy thread has been silent since early September (the actual tech part), I created a new thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54422-REQUEST-ISA-Mapsat-replacement-with-area-indication?p=717870#post717870

I hope to see you there Majiir :), there was a lot of potential in your posts in the Legacy thread.

Hereby confirming the assumed license as now stated on the opening post:

License

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No code is allowed to be used or modified and published without express written consent.

I will be making a blog post about this too.

Cheers from hiatus-land.

License

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No code is allowed to be used or modified and published without express written consent.

Cheers from hiatus-land.

It is, of course, very important, to make sure your work isn't of value to anyone if you choose not to maintain it. Wha

Exactly, It is his code.

He obviously isn't allowing anyone else to edit it, completely within his rights.

We may disagree with it think he has no reasons to do it, but have to accept it.

We can make another mapping mod, it will just have to be done without using any of his code.

License

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Cheers from hiatus-land.

Hello, hello.... great to see you back. Looking forward to your blog. cheers.

So, I just read your blog post, and it sounds like your simply refusing to be helpful for no real reason.

It's his right, you're just complaining something you got for free isn't taking up more of the creator's time.

I smell the gentle whiff of snotty entitlement. Get over yourself and try thanking him for the work he's done so far, which has added a lot of joy to a lot of people.

He gets to walk away with or without explanation and he still has my thanks!

Myself I am now happy. There has been a blog post, info has been passed on. We are not forgotten but real life happens.

Maybe someone will make a competing mapsat clone using novel code, maybe not. It seems with patience that the memory issues will go away as the cause has been explained.

All is good.

You're back, cool.

Waiting for Isa^^

Unfortunately, his blog posts states he's not going to work on it (anytime soon).

So we have to wait for Innsewerants to come back.... or completly rebuild that plugin from scratch :/
Myself I am now happy. There has been a blog post, info has been passed on. We are not forgotten but real life happens.

Maybe someone will make a competing mapsat clone using novel code, maybe not. It seems with patience that the memory issues will go away as the cause has been explained.

All is good.

Exactly. I'm glad my riling up things has incited some action around Mapsat and mapping in general.

Innsewerants at least came out of hiatus to explain and highlight some things, and there are others working on possible alternatives.

All is good indeed.

It's his right, you're just complaining something you got for free isn't taking up more of the creator's time.

I'm not certain allowing derivatives of his code would be taking up more of his time. It's unclear why he would even care - so long as no one uses his "brand" (ISA). Short of a commercial interest in the code (was he planning to charge for this some day?), this attitude is baffling.

It doesn't really matter; someone will create a newer, maintained map mod and in time everyone will forget about ISA MapSat. The demand is certainly there.

I'm not certain allowing derivatives of his code would be taking up more of his time. It's unclear why he would even care - so long as no one uses his "brand" (ISA). Short of a commercial interest in the code (was he planning to charge for this some day?), this attitude is baffling.

It doesn't really matter; someone will create a newer, maintained map mod and in time everyone will forget about ISA MapSat. The demand is certainly there.

Because some people care about things they've invested a lot of time and effort into. It's horrible that we can't all be as selfless as you.

Get a reality check and take that attitude with you. Your post served no purpose except to insult and further the debate.

Edited by SmiteZero

Innsewerants has rights to his creation. However, he made a restrictive licensing decision, and that decision is open to criticism. You should chase people away for violating the license, not for asking why it was chosen.

Er, sorry if this is covered but I read back a half dozen pages and my search got me nowhere.

On reading the blog entry mentioned, it says that the lag is caused by the plugin trying to run all of the satellites at once? I played a game through in 0.21 visiting about half the planets for mapping and after a while it got silly and was removed with much wailing and nashing of teeth and a restart. I miss it, it is completely necessary.

Does this mean that if you only had one mapping satellite in your game world at any time, then the lag could be mostly disposed of or am I just being really really hopeful? I would test myself but I can't face investing that much time only to start again again again again or whatever savegame I'm on now, I'm hoping that someone has tried this strategy?

Because some people care about things they've invested a lot of time and effort into. It's horrible that we can't all be as selfless as you.

Get a reality check and take that attitude with you. Your post served no purpose except to insult and further the debate.

I would completely,100%, agree if modders did this for anything but fun.....nobody on here (except the devs of course) gets paid to release their stuff. You should consider that before you tell people to get a reality check because despite the other guy's harsh response, he not that far off from correct. Just FYI.....

My two cents:

Use same grid as Kethane pack plz. It would be then far easier to land close to a kethane spot.

Even, is it possible to merge datas in one GUI?

Have a nice week-end, and spend it working for the mod :]

Does this currently work for .22 or do we need a update?

It works as well as it ever did. :wink:

If you want to use it in career mode, you'll need to edit the part configs and add a "TechRequired" line, or use ModuleManager to add the appropriate variables to the parts:

@PART[ISA_MapSat]:Final
{
TechRequired = scienceTech
}
@PART[ISA_GPS]:Final
{
TechRequired = scienceTech
}

Could you atleast hand the mod down to someone you trust?

The author has been inactive for an extended period, and I doubt will ever come back. It's not my place to judge a man, but reserving all rights to himself then leaving the project unmaintained does not look good in the eyes of the community. Especially because this is the best, and as far as I know, the only plugin of its kind. I also doubt there will be an alternative anytime soon.

Fortunately, as Gaius said, it's working in 0.22, but it's only a matter of time until Squad changes something in the code that breaks the plugin.