[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

How do i use this i am trying to open .exe but nothing happens. (I am orbiting Kerbin atm)

With the new version you don\'t need the exe to have it do something useful.

If the mapper part is on the active stage of the craft you should see a tab at the bottom left of the screen/window with the text 'ISA MapSat'. Click it.

The exe can be used to make more detailed maps, see the 1st post of this thread for instructions.

But then, as far as I can tell, the MapGen is deprecated anyway, isn\'t it?

Not at all, unless all one wants is the small gui map.

Mapgen or another external tool is still needed to do stuff with csv data if you desire to collect it.

The gui also only supports one colour mode and one projection at the moment.

I will still work on mapgen when I get new idea\'s for it or finally get to learning standalone apps with gui\'s, the mod and mapgen are still my prime code learning projects as my slight fascination with mapmaking and ksp itself keep the learning interesting.

From now on updated versions of mapgen are included in the PluginData/isa_mapsat folder.

It\'s not deprecated to me because it\'s a nice platform I built for myself to play around with my mapmaking fascination and I will keep including it with MapSat for the people that like collecting csv data and using MapGen to render polar views or natural colour maps etc.

How do i use this i am trying to open .exe but nothing happens. (I am orbiting Kerbin atm)

For the ingame map and gui you do not need to run the exe.

MapGen exe is a rendering tool for the csv data, the instructions are in the opening post under the spoiler: MapGen command line arguments/usage.

When you have some csv data collected you can use mapgen do render different kinds map projections, colour schemes and sizes for out of game use.

One note before using MapGen, either don\'t run ksp or turn of the raw data collection before using MapGen.

You can toggle csv data collection in the gui with the 'Store raw data' button.

This is one of the coolest plugins. The update was well worth the wait.

Would it be possible to adapt it to do slope of terrain measurement?

I find one of the biggest problems in landing is finding a landing spot that is (close to) horizontal.

Landing on a slope of (estimated) more than some 15 degrees is likely to topple all but the smallest landers, break some legs and end in explosions. Even small landers are likely to get into trouble unless the descent velocity is very low.

So i\'m wondering if the ISA mapper would be accurate enough to sample the terrain directly below a descending lander or during a relatively brief hover, and from the data calculate the average slope (or \'non-horizontalness\') of the terrain directly under the lander.

I figure it would work only at a modest altitude (a few 100m), sample maybe a 20m by 20m area, taking maybe a couple of seconds.

Sounds like an interesting idea, not sure how it would work, you could have many directions of slopes in one 20x20m piece of terrain.

I\'ll keep the basic idea in the back of my mind, maybe I will get some ideas further down the road.

As for the accuracy of the code used, I take elevation data from the in game PQS values directly, I feed it the lon and lat in double precision I want data for, it gives me elevation in double precision, scanning, discovering is all just deliberate.. 'gameplay'.

You can get more precision then will ever be effectively used by any 3d terrain in the actual game I think because I get the data from the PQS values.

Sound a bit more like a whole new separate section/feature to the mod, both code and gui-wise or a separate one.

Interesting.

Thanks for the reply.

I think it can be simplified a bit, no fancy calculations, just a visual clue:

I think it would already be very useful if we\'d have an enlarged/zoomed-in display of the patch of surface that\'s currently being scanned, combined with a specifically adjusted color scale. Purple would always be the lowest point in the scan, white would be anything that\'s a user-adjustable amount higher (ie 10m).

So a lot of white in the scan means there\'s a lot of altitude difference within the patch and it might be wise to go find another landing spot. Mostly purple and blue would mean it\'s pretty much flat.

official 0.15.2 support finally!!! yeay!!!

but I got a problem...

even after few flights, it\'s still extremely laggy...

I thought dual radar dish (for the sake of symmetricity) was causing problem at first and tested with one MapSat part, but lag continued...

my system\'s spec is enough for KSP: i7 2680qm, 16gigs of RAM, and 6990M...

there were no \'spamming\' at the console...

I got rid of all previous unofficial plugin thingies...can\'t find what\'s causing these lags...

btw great plugin indeed!!!

Heh, I tried this yesterday, with several stages having dishes on them, leaving one in orbit, moving to a new spot, leaving another, etc ...

It only collects data on the one you happen to be focused on, but it sure would be sweet to have 5 or even 10 of them going at once! :D

Is it even possible to make all the mapsat\'s in orbit of a planet to simultaneously collect data even if you\'re not controlling the ship?

I assume not but it would speed up mapping substantially.

Heh, I tried this yesterday, with several stages having dishes on them, leaving one in orbit, moving to a new spot, leaving another, etc ...

It only collects data on the one you happen to be focused on, but it sure would be sweet to have 5 or even 10 of them going at once! :D

It can be faked, part code doesn\'t run beyond a certain distance from your current location.

Currently if you pass another sat closely it will draw it\'s data for the time its close enough to you.

To really make it work, or seem to work like simultaneous sats all over the place I don\'t see any way past emulating the effect. Counting every sat around getting their positions and doing the whole drawing thing for each of them.

I don\'t know how KSP will hold up, atm I\'m debating adding a few more pixels in the 'beam' and see how performance is affected.

As for how long it takes to map a gui texture map, kerbin finished for me somewhere in the 8 hours I was away using at 5x speed @ a 135km polar orbit , not counting the odd pixel gap here and there. There\'s probably a faster orbit than this too, and i don\'t know how long it took exactly it might have been done after 4 hours e.g. I just know it was a fully filled map bar some gaps when I got home.

official 0.15.2 support finally!!! yeay!!!

but I got a problem...

even after few flights, it\'s still extremely laggy...

I thought dual radar dish (for the sake of symmetricity) was causing problem at first and tested with one MapSat part, but lag continued...

my system\'s spec is enough for KSP: i7 2680qm, 16gigs of RAM, and 6990M...

there were no \'spamming\' at the console...

I got rid of all previous unofficial plugin thingies...can\'t find what\'s causing these lags...

btw great plugin indeed!!!

Do you have the lag only when storing raw data is on?

The only lag you should have once is a slightly longer load time starting the first flight with a sat after installing the mod, it\'s just setting up the textures and stuff in the pluginsdata directory.

It\'s really not made to have more than 1 sat per craft, it has no benefit at all and just increases the chance of oddities and bad performance (2 sats on 1 craft and the whole code get done twice as it were on the same position above the planets surface)

It\'s odd there was no spamming in the console because I left a few prints in by mistake that should be spamming and are up for removal in the coming incremental updates and fixes etc.

At the moment I don\'t have any lag issues, my ksp is pretty much vanilla + mapping sat at the moment to keep testing clear. Phenom x4 underclocked to 2 ghz during testing, gtx 260 and 3 gb ram. For comparison.

Why won\'t my old CSV files that contained Kerbin, Mun and Minmus data from the unofficial mod(s) work with the new one? (i renamed them accordingly).

I can\'t see the terrain i have already gathered in the new GUI feature.

It can be faked, part code doesn\'t run beyond a certain distance from your current location.

Currently if you pass another sat closely it will draw it\'s data for the time its close enough to you.

To really make it work, or seem to work like simultaneous sats all over the place I don\'t see any way past emulating the effect. Counting every sat around getting their positions and doing the whole drawing thing for each of them.

I don\'t know how KSP will hold up, atm I\'m debating adding a few more pixels in the 'beam' and see how performance is affected.

I see, i hope that will work in the future someday. :)

thx for replying!

and I found wut\'s causing these lags... I forgot to regularly clean inside of my notebook, and freakin\' dusts clogged my GPU cooler :(

anyway, I love the in-game map view feature a lot!!!

Here\'s a brief description of a way you could do multi-sat mapping.

Specific mapping modules, which could be PowerSat or DynaSat-based, released into mapping orbits. When you want to get the data from the satellites, you fly a data module out to the satellites you want to collect from and \'transfer the data\' to the data module, which would figure out the path the satellite had traveled and generate data.

thx for replying!

and I found wut\'s causing these lags... I forgot to regularly clean inside of my notebook, and freakin\' dusts clogged my GPU cooler :(

anyway, I love the in-game map view feature a lot!!!

Rofl yes these kinds of things are why I\'m always a little resistant at first to just assume it\'s something in my code, I prefer to wait until a few people report the same problem and then hopefully get them to share what other mods they have installed, console output etc. :)

I hate digging through my code for 4 hours looking for a problem that then ends up not having been caused by something in my code lol.

Happens a lot during development with me, usually a typo somewhere and me assuming there\'s something wrong with the code itself, 3 hours of code changes to try and fix later and I notice the typo *slaps self... again...

Why won\'t my old CSV files that contained Kerbin, Mun and Minmus data from the unofficial mod(s) work with the new one? (i renamed them accordingly).

I can\'t see the terrain i have already gathered in the new GUI feature.

I see, i hope that will work in the future someday. :)

Did you turn on raw data collection in the sat gui? It\'s defaulted off so you don\'t collect the same bits everytime you launch a new sat with the mapper on board and for the people who only really want the in game map.

It does run into gigabytes, I\'ve put up an archive of Kerbin csv data (~1GB packed, ~3GB raw, no duplicates) recently. If anyone is interested, get it while it\'s still hot; download URL can be found in the Kerbin Geographic Society thread:

* Edit - Found it *

Did you turn on raw data collection in the sat gui? It\'s defaulted off so you don\'t collect the same bits everytime you launch a new sat with the mapper on board and for the people who only really want the in game map.

Yes, i always do that, my question was if the already collected data from the unofficial edition would be updated/integrated into the new sat GUI. :)

Two requests:

- It\'s a pity the isa-mapsat doesnt use previously collected data. Every time you put up a new ship over Kerbin/Mun/Minmus the image is built again. It would be nice if an option would be added that would build a map from data already collected.

- An option to add your own 'points of interest' (coördinates/info have to be entered by the user. Those locations should be visible on the map by a cross or a square. Perhaps this could be combined with the names/locations already assigned by the KGSS

P.S.

The isa-mapsat is a supurb addon!!!

Two requests:

- It\'s a pity the isa-mapsat doesnt use previously collected data. Every time you put up a new ship over Kerbin/Mun/Minmus the image is built again. It would be nice if an option would be added that would build a map from data already collected.

- An option to add your own 'points of interest' (coördinates/info have to be entered by the user. Those locations should be visible on the map by a cross or a square. Perhaps this could be combined with the names/locations already assigned by the KGSS

P.S.

I totally agree with this. GUI map is pretty great and i was actually expecting that it would use the data collected so far when i launch a new ship. It is not really possible to collect all the data from a single ship :/

Two requests:

P.S.

If you mean an ingame texture of what you collected in previous versions I can solve that real easily.

Rendering the data in game halts ksp to a crash, (referencing render times with MapGen).

I\'m already working on adding a command line argument in Mapgen to render textures for the gui with the same colour scale etc so the drawing all matches up.

I need to finalize how I am going to make the gui and the textures, it won\'t stay the big black square.

I just wanted it out to test the functionality, I will spend more time on cleaning the gui, already planned changes and optimizing the code and fixing bugs people might find that haven\'t happened to me during testing.

Changing the texture sizes will either mean a little image editing or restarting the maps, so rendering out csv\'s with mapgen using the correct settings to match the texture drawing is a good idea and it would effectively give you what you want.

Cheers :)

If you mean an ingame texture of what you collected in previous versions I can solve that real easily.

That was what i meant. In most cases that is quite sufficient. For a really detailed map a user can use MapGen outside of KSP.

At the moment the texture/map is reset every time one puts a new mapping craft over a planet. If that doesn\'t happen (and new data is added to that map/render) most people will be quite happy, i expect.

That was what i meant. In most cases that is quite sufficient. For a really detailed map a user can use MapGen outside of KSP.

At the moment the texture/map is reset every time one puts a new mapping craft over a planet. If that doesn\'t happen (and new data is added to that map/render) most people will be quite happy, i expect.

Consider it done.

This is what I\'m planning, a new command line argument something like 'isa_mapgen.exe textures'

It would render out the textures before you start the new sat installation from any csv data you have in the folder with all the settings so everything matches up with the colour scale the gui draws.

When done you start KSP and your satellite(s) and instead of creating black new ones it will just load the textures MapGen made for it to start with.

People actually might want to keep recording csv data even if you were using it just for the GUI, some image editing of the textures already collected or csv data to render with the new mapgen command will be needed when I change texture sizes while polishing the GUI.

I think it\'s a safe bet to say there\'s an update in the coming week with more polish, the mapgen argument and some minor bugs gone that I squashed today, I\'ll be spending my time for now on the polish because I need to have a final idea on the texture/window size because I don\'t want people to have to mess with image and data files every time I change something so that\'s my current focus.

---------

A question and request to help hunt down an illusive problem I can not seem to reproduce on my system no matter how much I abuse mapsat, reinstall it delete its data etc:

So far 2 people have reported not getting black maps to start from but transparent textures showing the gui window colour.

I can not for the life of me coax this bug out on my system and am running out of idea\'s that would not be obvious mass breakage problems to explain it and try and fix it.

I tried starting mapsat without textures so it goes through the initial creation code more often than I can count and I only have 2 people so far that told me they had this problem.

I am looking for more people who are experiencing this problem and would like to know some information to help figure this elusive one out. And logs have been useless so far

-What I would like to know:

-os, cpu, gpu, ram.

-Ksp version used.

-Other mods installed.

-How do you start ksp (shortcut, clicking the exe, steam shortcut...)?

-in the PluginData/isa_mapsat/ dir, are any png\'s missing for the planetoids in ksp? are they blank or black if not? -which ones are blank which ones are black?

It\'s the only thing I have left in my idea\'s bin, to run a comparison between people that have the problem and see if they share a common theme in some way.

Sorry if you have the bug, a temp fix on affected systems might be to go into the plugindata/isa_mapsat dir and replace any blank pngs with exactly named 400x400 black pngs.

Start KSP and see if it loads them from now on.

I installed a fresh copy of KSP, and put the mod in, it doesn\'t work. Any idea of how to fix it?

I put the mapping part on the top of my rocket, and it turns and everything, but no in-game GUI.

So far 2 people have reported not getting black maps to start from but transparent textures showing the gui window colour.

So the map is rendered on a grey background? I have that, though it does not bother me much.

winxp32 sp3

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

AMD Radeon HD 6800 series

KSP 0.152

cart.dll

crxTelemetryModule.dll

ISA_MapSat.dll

MuMechLib.dll

PKSMultiJointObject.dll

PowerTech.dll

PowerTech_MuMech.dll

Satellite Relays.dll

wheel.dll

zKreuzung.dll (electric energy)

Zoxygene.dll

starting KSP via batch file (to make a backup of persistence file)

gui_Kerbin_ISA_Topo.png

gui_kerbol.png

gui_Minmus_ISA_Topo.png

gui_Mun_ISA_Topo.png

- all have black background (but in-game have grey gui color background)

Windows filemanager image preview also shows a transparent background, not black.