[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

The only feature that I'd like this mod to have is the ability to run multiple satellites at a time. That way, I could launch 50 or so and map kerbin in minutes.

I also noticed a strange glitch, hopefully not permenant:

Screenshot456.png

See the north polar view? The corruption doesn't show up in the whole map, so I think it's just the north polar view glitchting out.

I got bored and made a GUI for ISA_MapGen.exe:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xpuu7bd8cgj58zq/IfU4X7DXbg

Windows only, put it in the same directory as ISA_MapGen.exe.

ty for that its very useful :)

it maybe asked before sory but if rendered pics have also numbers with their lines... like this ones:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/imagedetails/index.cfm?imageId=4609

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/imagedetails/index.cfm?imageId=4610

it would be very great :) btw b/w maps has little differents than upper ones :)

Edited by ashrutoraman

The mapping program seems to have seriously glitched on me. I've lost all of the maps, but some how still have rather large CSV files (on the order of over 6 megs for Kerbin and over 10 for the Mun and Minmus). Any idea how to get my graphical maps back?

I've done a little work on determining ideal mapping orbits. I'm not a math or physics major, but this is what I got:

Mun - ~122 km

Minmus - ~1.9 km

Kerbin - None

My goal was to find the orbital altitude that provided gapless coverage at the equator in the shortest time and highest resolution possible. As you can see, the only body that such an orbit is achievable with is the Mun. I currently have a satellite in such an orbit, I will post the map when it is finished. Looking at the progress, that should happen in about 8 hours (for a total mapping time of ~16 hours).

Edited by um3k

I've done a little work on determining ideal mapping orbits. I'm not a math or physics major, but this is what I got:

Mun - ~122 km

Minmus - ~1.9 km

Kerbin - None

My goal was to find the orbital altitude that provided gapless coverage at the equator in the shortest time and highest resolution possible. As you can see, the only body that such an orbit is achievable with is the Mun. I currently have a satellite in such an orbit, I will post the map when it is finished. Looking at the progress, that should happen in about 8 hours (for a total mapping time of ~16 hours).

Would you mind explaining:

1) How i should read the graph?

2) What does it represent?

3) How did you arrive at that formula and those numbers?

The point where the two lines intersect is the ideal orbit according to my criteria.

The X axis represents orbital altitude, in km. It assumes a circular orbit.

The Y axis is the orbital period in seconds.

The blue line is derived from the the MapSat FOV (in degrees) for altitude x, based on the MapSat source code. I divide 180 by it to get the proportion relative to the whole globe, and then divide the rotational period of the target body by that to get the orbital period required to fill the map at the given height.

The red line is the orbital period, calculated according to the formula on the wiki.

Hopefully that helps a little, I had a hard time explaining it.

Hi,

Any idea what could be the reason for my graphics glitches? (See screenshot). Blurred in color both the button and part of the mapping GUI. Appreciate any help.

screen.jpg
How would I use this mod on a Mac? My gui ingame looks corrupted, I really want to play with this mod and my pc isn't powerful enough to run ksp faster than 1 fps :'(

You guys need to link your Parts folder into KSP.app because the plugin is looking for images in the wrong place. So if your KSP_osx folder is in /Applications, run the following in a terminal:

ln -s /Applications/KSP_osx/Parts /Applications/KSP_osx/KSP.app/

OP, I've only glanced at the source but clearly kspDir isn't being calculated correctly in OS X (ML anyway).

You guys need to link your Parts folder into KSP.app because the plugin is looking for images in the wrong place. So if your KSP_osx folder is in /Applications, run the following in a terminal:

ln -s /Applications/KSP_osx/Parts /Applications/KSP_osx/KSP.app/

OP, I've only glanced at the source but clearly kspDir isn't being calculated correctly in OS X (ML anyway).

Cool! Glad it helped. Do you mind mentioning which OS version you're running and any relevant info so we can figure this out once and for all? How did you install KSP? I dragged the whole folder to /Applications - is that not the recommended method for OSX?

is there any set of rules that governs the direction the satellite model faces? ive been climbing a near vertical hill after destroying the cuttlefish lander in a mechjeb related incident and noticed it was facing a different way after reaching the top

90 degree inclination (over the poles) and as low as you can go.

Bonus points if you can tell me why this is so.

because yes :P

nah its because as the craft moves up and down the planet/body it covers from pole to pole and the closer it is to the planet/body the more out of synch it becomes with the planet/body's rotation giving optimal coverage over time

or something like that

Cool! Glad it helped. Do you mind mentioning which OS version you're running and any relevant info so we can figure this out once and for all? How did you install KSP? I dragged the whole folder to /Applications - is that not the recommended method for OSX?

Sure thing. :) I'm using OSX Lion 10.7.2 (Need to update still, but ehh). Actually, all my applications install in Application Support, so that is where I dragged the install folder. For me at least, my applications folder is where my Launchpad places the shortcuts to all my apps. Once I knew the full directory of the install path, this was simple to do and fix on my own. I just had to use ' to get the command to hold the app support folder as one line instead of having the space break it apart.

But 90 degrees takes forever to get Minmus completely covered

You got something wrong here. Currently you probably have an Orbit with its prograde marker at 90 degrees (i.e. you are on an equatorial orbit going eastwards). This is not the same as having an orbit with an inclination of 90 degrees (refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_inclination).

On your current orbit you are moving above the equator and your latitude does not change, thus with every orbit you map the same area of minmus. So it literally takes forever since it is not possible to map a planet completely with such an orbit.

What you need to do now is change your inclination to around 90 degrees so that you are moving from north- to southpole or vice versa. In order to achieve such an orbit read up on plane change manoeuver. Simply put, the body you are orbiting now moves underneath you and with every orbit you cover a different area of the body. Now all that's required is a little patience and eventually you will have your map complete.

Do you have the sourcecode for ISA_MapGen.exe? I've been working on a very similar project for Garry's Mod, and I'd like to see how yours works since mine takes about twice the time with about the same amount of data. The data is sampled differently and shows population instead of terrain, but the image is created the same way.

umMuE.png

EDIT: Nevermind, what I'm doing is probably slower since I don't know the minimum and maximum coordinates beforehand, and I have to read through the data twice.

Edited by Phygar

That's because Minmus doesn't rotate. You have to manually change the heading of 10 degrees each time you pass over the North pole (burn Normal+, like an inclination change)

I find I usually get a better coverage with an 80° inclination. The beam is wide enough to cover most of the poles and you get more passes.