[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

An, ok, thank you! I found them!

What a bizarre place to put them. The Science or even Utility section would make a lot more logical sense.

This is because the category is incorrect, it uses the old category system (numeric).

I edited my parts.cfg to change

category = 3

to

category = Science

I'm having issues getting the mapsat to work. I've extracted the folder into the KSP folder, open up KSP I see it load the mapsat stuff, when I put the mapsat dish on my vessel and launch it I don't get any of the buttons near the bottom left or the dish moving. I've had it working before but got an issue where it would crash everytime I launch (but I see others have posted fixes for that). I'm using the steam version of KSP and latest mapsat

I think there is a ongoing issue with Mods and Steam version of KSP. That could be the issue but I'm not sure. Go to spaceport and make sure you have downloaded the current version of ISA the link in the first post I think is to a older version that isn't current anymore. If that doesn't work I don't know what else to do until the Steam Version of KSP is fixed for working with mods.

I use Kerbal on Steam, and the mod is working for me now. My issue before was that I thought I had the latest version of the mod, but I didn't. I used the link on the beginning of this thread, and it's out of date. If you go to the previous page of this thread (80) there's a link to the new version on Spaceport that worked for me.

HGG, yeah, technicly it has. however it works just fine in 19.1 IF you download the version on the Spaceport (not the older version on the opening post).

(only 2 'issues' in 19.1)

1) some people get bad lag during launch of a Mapsat. Turn OFF Mapping before launch to prevent this. just remember to turn it on again when in orbit of the body you want to map.

2) Eello data needs to be fixed by the user. (open up your hilo.dat and add the line Eeloo;-500;3500 to the end, use notepad++, or just delete the file and mapsat will recreate it correctly after a few min the next time you start ksp).

as a side note: only put either Mapping antennas, OR the GPS system on a single craft. not both. (you CAN have more than one mapping Antenna on a craft, that works fine)

I'm having a little issue.

I sent up a satellite to the Mun to map it out. I found anomalies and sent up a lander/rover combination - the rover had the GPS. After finding the Neil Armstrong memorial, I set out for the next destination due South. I kept the Lander and Rover at the memorial site active. I then launched the same craft from Kerbin to set out for the next anomaly. When I got up to the Mun, I looked at my GPS location and noticed it was still at the Neil Armstrong memorial. I'm wondering if because I used the same save of the craft the GPS's on the rovers are conflicting?

Good news is, I found the Squad Monolith. Bad news, every craft I send up will have the same problem unless I find the solution.

Things I tried:

1) Turning off the GPS on the first rover (no options to turn off or disable)

2) Thought about running it dry of electrical charge, but I'm using solar panels

3) Thought about ending flight - but not sure if it would work and don't really want to lose the rover.

4) Switching from lander/rover2 to lander/rover1 - then turned Current location "OFF" - switched back and turned Current

5) Restarted KSP

HGG, yeah, technicly it has. however it works just fine in 19.1 IF you download the version on the Spaceport (not the older version on the opening post).

1) some people get bad lag during launch of a Mapsat. Turn OFF Mapping before launch to prevent this. just remember to turn it on again when in orbit of the body you want to map.

2) Eello data needs to be fixed by the user. (open up your hilo.dat and add the line Eeloo;-500;3500 to the end, use notepad++, or just delete the file and mapsat will recreate it correctly after a few min the next time you start ksp).

as a side note: only put either Mapping antennas, OR the GPS system on a single craft. not both. (you CAN have more than one mapping Antenna on a craft, that works fine)

Well since it seems like the dev might no longer be supporting it I've actually started to look at the source code provided and have gotten it to run for 0.19.1. Not sure who put the updated version on space port though.

I sent a message to the mod maker over his youtube channel. I got this response back.

"Hello,

I'm planning to continue the work of updating the features I demo'd a while ago on youtube and optimize it.

I just haven't had time because of this thing some people like to call "real" life ;)

But I haven't abandoned it, just simply no time for it or gaming either, haven't even been able play 19 yet.

I hope to have some time for it again soon. outside of the zoomable maps and some other idea's I have I will leave resources alone and wait to see what Squad's going to do with it and it might fit with Mapsat.

So if I get everything done before 0.20 there will be a release prior to 0.20 and I won't wait for it.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers,

Innsewerants"

So its not abandoned just Life getting in the way, as it does with any cool thing anyone wants to do. :)

I met the issue 1. The solution seems not fit for me. I just use command module, a battery and one dish. Then i press launch button and the game seems crash. After i wait about 30 mins, i must end the game in "task manager". occasionally,i can see the turn off button. Then i trun the mapping off. And reassemble my rocket, then i launch it. Still the game runs like a crawl. And now i give up. and for the mapping improve. :)

After slowly working my way through the source code provided i believe I've found the cause of the stuttering at launch. It seem to be due to the mapsat saving anomaly locations to file way to often. From the code it seems to save all the anomalies every time it finds a single one, and since you could be near the anomaly for a long time it starts to add up.

Ok so I've fixed the stuttering im going to try a get a hold of Innsewerants to see if he'd be willing to upload it

In the meantime, would you be willing to upload it yourself? (provided you give credit to Innseweants).

I finally got my MapSat working and finally had a chance to play and get a satellite in orbit. Thanks for all the help getting the mod working for me.

I've got one orbiting Kerbal at 250 km at 88 degree inclination. If I leave it in this orbit, will it eventually map the whole planet, or do I have to periodically change the orbit to map the entire planet?

I finally got my MapSat working and finally had a chance to play and get a satellite in orbit. Thanks for all the help getting the mod working for me.

I've got one orbiting Kerbal at 250 km at 88 degree inclination. If I leave it in this orbit, will it eventually map the whole planet, or do I have to periodically change the orbit to map the entire planet?

88 degrees should work just fine, polar orbits (like yours) are the best for this mod.

88 250 is good it will map the whole thing eventually. I use this http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-4-hermes-deep-space-probe/ and changed the part.cfg to integrate the mechjeb2, kethane detector, protractor into the main body and hyperjump into the engine as well allowing the map sat antenna to be mounted on it. the mapsat code is looking for the antennae so you have to use it I just scaled it down for this. that way there are only 4 parts on the whole thing and you can have lots of them all over the place.

FsjkYry.jpg

I honestly find Mapsat works best in lower orbits at 90 degrees. All my mapping probes get as close as possible. For kerbin 68K orbit, just above the atmosphere and being on exactly 90 it will map the entire planet as it rotates under it in just a few hours. The only time you would need to change a sats orbit is if the body is tidally locked and not rotating. But Honestly in those cases multiple sats. On different criss crossing orbits is a better idea for surface mapping. Also if you're using a Kethane sensor on the same probe (which is how I do it just to save time and launches) the 90 Degrees and as low as possible is the best option as a Kethane detector doesn't work well over 100k.

I honestly find Mapsat works best in lower orbits at 90 degrees. All my mapping probes get as close as possible. For kerbin 68K orbit, just above the atmosphere and being on exactly 90 it will map the entire planet as it rotates under it in just a few hours. The only time you would need to change a sats orbit is if the body is tidally locked and not rotating. But Honestly in those cases multiple sats. On different criss crossing orbits is a better idea for surface mapping. Also if you're using a Kethane sensor on the same probe (which is how I do it just to save time and launches) the 90 Degrees and as low as possible is the best option as a Kethane detector doesn't work well over 100k.

I have too say I completely disagree on altitude. I find that operating at the maximum range of scanning equipment gives adequate results. If you want to export a high res map you may want to go lower but I have found no use in game for high res maps of any kind. ISA is looking at terrain feature for landing sites and those are generally rather large, Kethane is looking for deposits to mine which are also rather large.