[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

does it scan off screen?For example, when flying another rocket?

No it will only generate maps while you're flying the probe or ship with the mapping dish installed on it. Which is why orbits of 60K around most bodies is good because at X50 warp you can complete a map generally in about 10-20 minutes at most.

Did you try disabling the mapping temporarily. Performance issues usually disappear if you do that :)

That's the odd part -- performance issues were reduced as I removed low flying probes which I wasn't even looking at otherwise. I.e. I put them in low orbit and left them hanging with mapping on while I was attending to other flights, hoping to get back to them when I don't feel like launching something new. Physics framerate was suffering anyway, even though no data was collected.

Not sure if that's even possible, but it definitely seems so.

HGGundamReviews, I just wanted to thank you. I did indeed have enough thrust and fuel to make it to a circular 60km orbit. The map went from being what resembled a bundle of shoe strings to an actual map. And it won't take forever and a day to do. Now if only the kethane detector wasn't a straight beam. Then I'd have nice things...

88 250km is probably the best orbit for everything except moho gilly eelo. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aicph3-KYrXadElSbUVDUU50MlZBR1B4R0o5OUUyNXc&usp=sharing

also if you change the DetectingPeriod to 0.2 on your kethane detector after you finish the map at 4 arrows you can speed up to 5 or 6 arrows to finish the kethane map.

Don't know if this has already been answered, but I am having trouble getting the mapping dish to work. I've placed it on my station, along with the GPS unit but I do not have the GUI button at the bottom of my screen as I have seen in videos? What do?

Don't know if this has already been answered, but I am having trouble getting the mapping dish to work. I've placed it on my station, along with the GPS unit but I do not have the GUI button at the bottom of my screen as I have seen in videos? What do?

I have heard in the past that mounting both the dish and GPS unit on the same craft causing a glitch. As the Dish gives a Mapping function to the window that the GPS does not. The GPS unit is meant to go on manned ship so you can see the map, while the dish is meant for probes to make the map.

Also be sure you have the latest version from spaceport, its what I am using and it is working fine. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/isa-mapsat-3-3-4/

HGGundamReviews, I just wanted to thank you. I did indeed have enough thrust and fuel to make it to a circular 60km orbit. The map went from being what resembled a bundle of shoe strings to an actual map. And it won't take forever and a day to do. Now if only the kethane detector wasn't a straight beam. Then I'd have nice things...

From what I have heard the kethane mod maker is waiting for 0.20 to see how resources are implemented before doing any major updates to the mod. I believe improving the scanning area of the probes is in his plans if he decideds to continue with it after the games resources are implemented.

It's conical from the spacecraft to the ground, but you don't have to aim the dish.

Actually the code used to map is more like a checkerboard than anything else, but the mapping to a sphere makes it look round.

if your looking for high rez maps you can get them at 60k and that gives you the ability to X50 warp.

I'm not really sure where this whole hi-rez thing is coming from the map will never be more the 400x200 pixels, all the mapsat does is continuously average the areas that have been mapped previously.

Is it possible to create (and show in-game) maps with better resolution than 400x256?

As of right now the size is fixed but innsewerants has told me he wants to add zoomable maps.

I sent a message to the mod maker over his youtube channel. I got this response back.

"Hello,

I'm planning to continue the work of updating the features I demo'd a while ago on youtube and optimize it.

I just haven't had time because of this thing some people like to call "real" life ;)

But I haven't abandoned it, just simply no time for it or gaming either, haven't even been able play 19 yet.

I hope to have some time for it again soon. outside of the zoomable maps and some other idea's I have I will leave resources alone and wait to see what Squad's going to do with it and it might fit with Mapsat.

So if I get everything done before 0.20 there will be a release prior to 0.20 and I won't wait for it.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers,

Innsewerants"

So its not abandoned just Life getting in the way, as it does with any cool thing anyone wants to do. :)

Dude hasn't been around for like seven months.

Dud you need to read

Can we get that in writing? From him?

page 82

Actually the code used to map is more like a checkerboard than anything else, but the mapping to a sphere makes it look round.

I was referring to the scanning ray from the satellite to the ground, which forms a cone.

I'm not really sure where this whole hi-rez thing is coming from the map will never be more the 400x200 pixels, all the mapsat does is continuously average the areas that have been mapped previously.

You can generate high resolution bitmaps from the command line based on the data points you have scanned.

I was referring to the scanning ray from the satellite to the ground, which forms a cone.

You can generate high resolution bitmaps from the command line based on the data points you have scanned.

Duh forgot about raw data, and I thought we were talking about the in game map.

I was also talking about the scanning ray as well.

Edited by Emeegeemee
Spelling

I have been searching through the pages looking for an answer for this. Sorry as I am sure its been asked, but how do I change the position of the MapSat open/close tab? Thx guys and I sure hope this Mod continues to get revisions by the creator, or at best someone takes it over.

Dren

It's been a while since I've done any mapping in KSP, I think it was still .17.something. I've been working on ship construction instead. I just decided to do some mapping for a project and I found a smiley face in the ocean just south of the Kerbal Space Command.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8265/8703871510_3409265b47_k.jpg

That's a link, because the image is quite large.

Hello! Question for all the vets using Mapsat, and apologies in advance for the, likely, dumb question :P or actually three questions;

1) What would be the best way to map Kerbin? Would it be efficient to do a near north orbit at 100km? or?

2) I'm using the latest version of this mod, the one found at SpacePort; Do I need to do any tweaking to the files in order for my satellite to find all the possible new anomalies since that version came out?

3) I saw a post or a couple where the person states that having a few sats working at the same time can start causing lag issues or stuttering and what not, my question would be, once I fully map say Kerbin, can I take down my satellite and keep the map, complete with coordinates for anomalies and what not? Or would it be a good idea to write down the coordinates to all anomalies and then take the satellite down?

Thanks a ton :)

Hello! Question for all the vets using Mapsat, and apologies in advance for the, likely, dumb question :P or actually three questions;

1) What would be the best way to map Kerbin? Would it be efficient to do a near north orbit at 100km? or?

2) I'm using the latest version of this mod, the one found at SpacePort; Do I need to do any tweaking to the files in order for my satellite to find all the possible new anomalies since that version came out?

3) I saw a post or a couple where the person states that having a few sats working at the same time can start causing lag issues or stuttering and what not, my question would be, once I fully map say Kerbin, can I take down my satellite and keep the map, complete with coordinates for anomalies and what not? Or would it be a good idea to write down the coordinates to all anomalies and then take the satellite down?

Thanks a ton :)

1) That would work.

2) Nope it still finds all of the anomalies.

3) Yes you can remove the satellites and still keep the maps and anomalies.

Thanks Emeegeemee! I assume once I map a celestial body I just need to use the GPS unit? I used Mapsat a long time ago several versions back, then I took a long break from KSP and now I just can't remember all these things for the life of me, or well, I have a vague idea of how things work just... not 100% sure, and I would like my new missions to not get screwed by a silly mistake thanks to my memory D: or lack of it.

Is there a solution to use more mapsat dishes on one craft without lag!? changing the communitron doesn't work ;.;

Why would you do that? One dish is enough. Adding dishes won't do anything.

I wanna shoot up a station with a hand full of MapSat-satellites attached to it... so my spaceplane doesn't have to carry sattellites in space every time!

So i can refuel at the station and after that, dock the satellite to the spaceplane, for science of course!