[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

I've been treating the freeze as a program hard lock and exiting by alt-f4, but due to time constraints I've not let it sit for more than a couple of minutes yet. Is this a problem other people are having? Is it just trying to load a massive amount of data due to the size of the maps and it will take a while to finish?

I'm running Mapsat pretty fine here (some framerate issues, but my machine is really borderline for KSP with just 2 GB of RAM), and I had this once after enabling "auto update hilo.dat". It fixed itsself after waiting for 10 minutes or so, and I never had the problem again. I think the program was collecting and generating some data for the first time, because that never happened again. That's to be expected according to the blog post:

Auto update hilo.dat - If enabled this will check if there are missing planets in hilo.dat and redo it's minimum and maximum elevation calculations and add the new planets to hilo.dat . Updating hilo.dat can take a few minutes and makes ksp seem frozen, it's not it's just a hefty operation, it won't cause any delays if there are no new planets and I will continue to include an up to date hilo file in releases but just in case I'm late with updating this should help. There's no reason really to not turn it on. Even so I left default to off for now.

You're right though, he's only got 4GB of system RAM which Windows itself needs to use. I myself have 8GB and Windows and browsers alone can use up to 4GB sometimes when I'm doing a lot. Windows 7 by itself likes a good 2 GB which means if you've only got 4 GB you're already somewhat handicapped.

That's not even slightly true. If WinXP needed 4gb of Memory no one would ever have been able to use it at all back at it's launch, when 2gb of RAM was considered almighty luxury; The minimal system requirements are only 64mbs of RAM Of course, drivers, anti virus etc add to the overhead, but even with all services packs, firefox and skype and pidgin and MS Security Essentials and an open Windows Explorer window, I can currently see only 1GB in total use right now (and there's 1GB of dedicated graphics ram waiting to ease pressure during gaming on top of system RAM).

Win 7 is actually a fair bit more efficient with how it handles actual memory usage than WinXP, although it needs more of it due to the slow bloating of modern software; it does require roughly 2GB for basic operation. But even so, if you're seeing that sort of usage for a browser alone (4gb?!) you've got something seriously wrong with your system or are just being utterly lax about system hygiene because you can brute force through it with hardware; As I'm typing this, my Firefox with Ad-block and a few other plugins, is only using 380,000k Ram, or 1/3rd a GB.

The problem a lot of us are seeing though, especially with KSP which is still an unwieldy memory hog even with the latest patch, is that there's very little space left on top for Mods that haven't got a reasonable footprint once it's unreasonably eaten up your system. The last version of Mapsat seemed to be nice and snugly sized, so I was happily using it. And with 8gb you should be able to run 2 triple-A titles at once, so you won't notice the difference between old or new map sat; but the latest blows up for game for me now I'm afraid, which can hopefully be found and fixed.

Can anyone here help me!? :S

I've installed the ISA mapsat mod... following all the instructions etc, and when I attach the GPS or the satellite parts to my ships, they dont do anything when in orbit! - i cant click on them and there is no symbol on the gui that is different to what it normally is!

If someone could let me know if I need to do anything to the files or I'm blind or something? Thanks very much in advance! :D

PS: The only other mod ive installed is the Kethane mod v0.4.3 and im using the latest version of KSP.

it's in the dev build zip file, make sure you've got the ISA_MapSat X4r1.zip from the blog.

then you copy the folder "innsewerant space agency" from the zip and put it in the GameData folder within kerbal space program's main folder

i.e. my version from steam has the following address for kerbal space program

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

in there is a GameData folder, copy the Innsewerant folder into game data, start your game and voila!

Thanks a bunch! Works like a charm!:wink:

I'm running Mapsat pretty fine here (some framerate issues, but my machine is really borderline for KSP with just 2 GB of RAM), and I had this once after enabling "auto update hilo.dat". It fixed itsself after waiting for 10 minutes or so, and I never had the problem again. I think the program was collecting and generating some data for the first time, because that never happened again. That's to be expected according to the blog post:
After letting it sit for a solid 1 hour and 30 minutes this time I'm comfortable saying that this is a larger issue. The timing is suspicious though. Maybe whatever is happening is still hilo.dat related?

I've determined that Mapsat works fine with a clean install, so presumably this is a conflict with one of the numerous DLLs (Or other mods? I presume a .dll would be the issue) I have installed. Is there a way to determine which one beyond just re-installing them until things break? A log I could generate that would give a better idea of what the hangup is?

Ok. I give up. Here is another interesting "bug". I installed the dev 4.0 into a VANILLA copy of .20.2 (Into the GameData folder, as per all the instructions I have read in this thread). That solved the game-freezing issue, however, when I launch even the most basic ship into orbit to map, nothing shows up on them maps! The map screen remains blank. Hmmm. Guess I will just have to leave Mapsat alone until an actual working version comes out. especially if I can't use any other mods with it without the mapsat .dll wigging out. :confused:

Ok. I give up. Here is another interesting "bug". I installed the dev 4.0 into a VANILLA copy of .20.2 (Into the GameData folder, as per all the instructions I have read in this thread). That solved the game-freezing issue, however, when I launch even the most basic ship into orbit to map, nothing shows up on them maps! The map screen remains blank. Hmmm. Guess I will just have to leave Mapsat alone until an actual working version comes out. especially if I can't use any other mods with it without the mapsat .dll wigging out. :confused:

... Did you try turning *on* the scanning?

To the last 6 or so people who posted here - if you having the "game crashes upon craft launch" its most likely the memory issue with KSP. No fix atm as X4-r1 is a Dev build. Give Innsewerants some time. A lot of time as he is the sole author afaiu.

If your having the "No gui button" issue id suggest reinstalling following this method and only this method.

it's in the dev build zip file, make sure you've got the ISA_MapSat X4r1.zip from the blog.

then you copy the folder "innsewerant space agency" from the zip and put it in the GameData folder within kerbal space program's main folder

i.e. my version from steam has the following address for kerbal space program

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

in there is a GameData folder, copy the Innsewerant folder into game data, start your game and voila!

I'm installing mapsat for the first time here and running into an issue. I'm using Mapsat Dev Build X4r1 from the blog in a heavily modded 0.20.2 KSP install, and I just wanted to idiot check myself before I spend a bunch of hours doing clean test installs of KSP.

@boberts314 - Thats the memory issue. I also have a heavily modded 0.20.2 KSP install :cool: Im currently using ISA 3.3.4 found here with *only one issue. ;.;

Edited by Orphican
*Issues Occurred

First Post, newb condition in full effect.

So I've got a pair of map sat 4.0 dev build sats out there, mapping up some kerbin and mun action. But when I exit the game and return later, the map data is all gone, and the sat's have to start mapping afresh. I have 'store raw data' on. I've not the first idea how to troubleshoot this, but I'd like some help getting the scene so map data persists between game sessions. Do I need to do some

I'm doing the steam thing, got a couple of mods installed (Mechjeb2.08, map sat 4.0 dev, some big ass parts mod I can't recall the name of . . .) Do I need to be doing something with ISA_MapGen.exe or am I just missing some obvious thing? Also? Hi!

Do I need to be doing something with ISA_MapGen.exe or am I just missing some obvious thing?

If you have ISA_MapGen.exe, you do not actually have the 4.0 dev build, which doesn't include it.

The correct download link is here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/414-0-20-Dev-build-of-Mapsat-4-available-and-blog-update

I don't have any problem with this mod, used along others. When i estimate a map is finished, i remove it from the plugin file to prevent the memory issue, then move on to another mapping campaign. I just keep an edited screenshot with the anomalies.

No chance to use this to scan for Kethane, get a better scan than the stock kethane scanner, as well as better pictures?

Kethane and ISA have nothing to do with each other....

If you want better kethane scans go read that thread...lots of info there on the matter.

How do you use Map Sat, there doesn't seem to be any documentation and there is no obvious interaction that is working.

Nobody? I'm just worried I have a faulty install because I'm not seeing it working even though the parts are on satellites in orbit.

Nobody? I'm just worried I have a faulty install because I'm not seeing it working even though the parts are on satellites in orbit.

Ther's an icon bottom left of your screen. Click on it. If it's not there, then you probalbly have a faulty install.

After letting it sit for a solid 1 hour and 30 minutes this time I'm comfortable saying that this is a larger issue. The timing is suspicious though. Maybe whatever is happening is still hilo.dat related?

I've determined that Mapsat works fine with a clean install, so presumably this is a conflict with one of the numerous DLLs (Or other mods? I presume a .dll would be the issue) I have installed. Is there a way to determine which one beyond just re-installing them until things break? A log I could generate that would give a better idea of what the hangup is?

Ironically, I had some small pausing issues on windows but I have since installed a linux partition so I can run the 64bit version (it solves a lot of problems I had with memory, sound, etc) and it hangs a good 2+ mins when I bring a ship with mapsat onto the launchpad. Take the same ship, remove the dish no delay. After the "game-lock"ing 2+ mins everything works like a charm, although there is a significant pause again when I switch back to a ship with MapSat on it.

It seems peculiar to me since it should have loaded everything by the time I switch ships after the first one. My artifacts.dat is clean, etc. Either way it is a small price to pay for now to solve my memory and sound issues and if I get the free brain cycles I will look into it more. I do wonder what it is doing... I suspect it has something to do with how mono is emulating the inet windows DLLs and a peculiarity with my system or the network therein.

That's not even slightly true. If WinXP needed 4gb of Memory no one would ever have been able to use it at all back at it's launch, when 2gb of RAM was considered almighty luxury; The minimal system requirements are only 64mbs of RAM Of course, drivers, anti virus etc add to the overhead, but even with all services packs, firefox and skype and pidgin and MS Security Essentials and an open Windows Explorer window, I can currently see only 1GB in total use right now (and there's 1GB of dedicated graphics ram waiting to ease pressure during gaming on top of system RAM).

Win 7 is actually a fair bit more efficient with how it handles actual memory usage than WinXP, although it needs more of it due to the slow bloating of modern software; it does require roughly 2GB for basic operation. But even so, if you're seeing that sort of usage for a browser alone (4gb?!) you've got something seriously wrong with your system or are just being utterly lax about system hygiene because you can brute force through it with hardware; As I'm typing this, my Firefox with Ad-block and a few other plugins, is only using 380,000k Ram, or 1/3rd a GB.

The problem a lot of us are seeing though, especially with KSP which is still an unwieldy memory hog even with the latest patch, is that there's very little space left on top for Mods that haven't got a reasonable footprint once it's unreasonably eaten up your system. The last version of Mapsat seemed to be nice and snugly sized, so I was happily using it. And with 8gb you should be able to run 2 triple-A titles at once, so you won't notice the difference between old or new map sat; but the latest blows up for game for me now I'm afraid, which can hopefully be found and fixed.

No, my browser isn't eating up 4GB, that's just my total memory usage with a few programs open, such as my browser, Steam, AV, etc. Also I didn't mean that Windows itself needed that entire 4GB for itself, only that it has to share that with KSP and any other programs running. 32-bit Windows can't even make use of that whole 4GB either. IIRC, it can only use around 3.3GB. That right there means you're already limited to a little over 2GB for the game itself to use, which puts it at a significant disadvantage to someone like me who has plenty of RAM. I also read that supposedly, even video card memory eats into that usable limit (I'm guessing maybe memory addressing doesn't specify between video and system memory?)

Regardless, KSP itself has a memory leak even with little or no mods. Take note of its memory usage, then let it run overnight and check it again and you'll see it is using a good deal more memory, even if you let a ship orbit a planet the whole time.

Yep... tried that, too (turning on the scan). Still nothing. Plus it doesn't seem to work with anything but the VANILLA version of KSP for me (with the exception of mechjeb. It seems to be fine with that). I am running a AMD Athlon II X4 635 processor (2.90GHz) with 12 GB ram on Windows 7 (64-bit).

Cheers Initar, it was a strange one, just vanilla installed KSP again and it worked. I dunno how one vanilla install works and one doesn't but there we are.

I am finding that even this install has problems as any probe/craft with the Mapsat dish on it causes all of the options in the paused menu to not accept any input. If I click 'End Flight', for example, the gui will respond but I'll still be stuck on the paused menu.

This is a bug that can only be related to Mapsat as I am running it on a clean install and it is a game braker, the only option to get past it is alt-F4.

Even after switching back & forth between ships that didn't have the MapSat dish or GPS it would still crash, and my task manager showed me maxing out my physical ram. So I took out the Innsewerats folder from my GameData folder and I was still getting up there with physical ram usage (my guess is because of the number of mods I run), but I didn't have a single crash. I lost a few ships, but nothing that can't be relaunched (after manually taking out the MapSat instances from the .craft files). All I really used the mod for was finding anomolies and getting the pretty pictures. What I really scan for is Kethane, which the Kethane mod does anyway, so I'll just wait until the working version of MapSat comes out before I start using it again.

Ironically, I had some small pausing issues on windows but I have since installed a linux partition so I can run the 64bit version (it solves a lot of problems I had with memory, sound, etc) and it hangs a good 2+ mins when I bring a ship with mapsat onto the launchpad. Take the same ship, remove the dish no delay. After the "game-lock"ing 2+ mins everything works like a charm, although there is a significant pause again when I switch back to a ship with MapSat on it.

It seems peculiar to me since it should have loaded everything by the time I switch ships after the first one. My artifacts.dat is clean, etc. Either way it is a small price to pay for now to solve my memory and sound issues and if I get the free brain cycles I will look into it more. I do wonder what it is doing... I suspect it has something to do with how mono is emulating the inet windows DLLs and a peculiarity with my system or the network therein.

The pausing issue on Linux is due to a small oversight inside the plugin (already present in the v3 code from the OP). It checks if Hilo.dat is present, if not generates it (that's what's causing the pause), and then writes this data to hilo.dat which of course means it won't find it again on the next run. (Gotta love Windows-centric development, dontcha? :sticktongue:)

Simple workaroud: Open a terminal, cd to Innsewerants Space Agency/Plugins/PluginData/ISA_MapSat/ inside the KSP GameData directory and do

ln hilo.dat Hilo.dat

. This will create a hardlink between the two names ans MapSat is none the wiser. (I didn't test if a symlink works, it should though).

The pausing issue on Linux is due to a small oversight inside the plugin (already present in the v3 code from the OP). It checks if Hilo.dat is present, if not generates it (that's what's causing the pause), and then writes this data to hilo.dat which of course means it won't find it again on the next run. (Gotta love Windows-centric development, dontcha? :sticktongue:)

Simple workaroud: Open a terminal, cd to Innsewerants Space Agency/Plugins/PluginData/ISA_MapSat/ inside the KSP GameData directory and do

ln hilo.dat Hilo.dat

. This will create a hardlink between the two names ans MapSat is none the wiser. (I didn't test if a symlink works, it should though).

Hmm.... I am gonna have to do something different as my GameData directory is symlinked to a directory on my windows ntfs SSD share so that the windows and linux games share the same mod directory... regrettably despite being case sensitive, it doesn't allow highlo.dat and Highlo.dat to both exist ;p

I will try renaming it to Highlo.dat and it should work (maybe)... or I will just say screw it and move the data off the ntfs partition and reformat the SSD.