[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Can u tell me if u see that button on this screen shot what i taken? http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6135/v66d.png

I might be wrong, but did you by any chance add the mapsat antenna AND the GPS unit? Judging by the picture you did add them both.

Using both parts at the same time is a known reason for problems. Remove the GPS unit and try it again. To stay on the safeside remove previous data files in the plugindata directory.

Bug Report:

At launch starting at ~5000m KSP is on stop-and-go - it runs just 0,6-0,7sec. normal and then stand still, and then again 0,6-7sec normal and still and so on....until i stage, then KSP runs well again.

Bug Report:

At launch starting at ~5000m KSP is on stop-and-go - it runs just 0,6-0,7sec. normal and then stand still, and then again 0,6-7sec normal and still and so on....until i stage, then KSP runs well again.

Sounds like a simple issue of too many system resources being occupied. When you reduce your part count by staging, it gets better. That's not Mapsat-specfic, Mapsat just happens to use a lot of RAM.

Bug Report:

Make sure MapSat's scan function and position indicator are turned off before launching, any remaining lag issues are game issues not Mapsat issues.

Well, this is awkward. As far as I can tell, ISA does not have a license as required by the addon posting rules. There's nothing in the first post, any of the dev blogs, the download archive or the source code, and I could not find any mention of a license elsewhere in the thread.

Worse, Its limited at 2 GB.

I've seen this number thrown around a few times, and yet I can sit and watch as KSP chugs along, happily using up to 3.5GB of RAM (in Win7 64-bit) according to ResMon. Maybe if you're on a 32-bit OS it won't let any program use more than 2GB.

Make sure MapSat's scan function and position indicator are turned off before launching, any remaining lag issues are game issues not Mapsat issues.

Are you sure that helps? I get the exact same lag (noticeable but not severe) and occasional memory-related crashes whether those features are turned on or off, whether the Mapsat window is open or not, and whether the part installed on my craft is the full Mapsat unit or just the GPS.

Are you sure that helps? I get the exact same lag (noticeable but not severe) and occasional memory-related crashes whether those features are turned on or off, whether the Mapsat window is open or not, and whether the part installed on my craft is the full Mapsat unit or just the GPS.

No, that won't help. The code loads everything 'on flight start', regardless of whether you've opened the window.

Oops! I usually take a look up to 3 pages back before posting this kind of thing but this time I rushed a little and only did a "KSP ISA MapSat bug on craft launch" and a few similar queries on google, aside from looking up the last page.

Now that I actually went a few pages back before my post I see this is not only "mentioned a bajillion times in this thread", it's kinda the only topic in it for the most part! :0.0:

Totally my fault! Sorry for the trouble! :blush:

Any idea why is it so? Doesn't look like a "memory heavy" mod to me! I'm almost graduating at System Analysis and Development, so I'll take a look at the source and see if I can find any performance gaps I can improve. If you know anything relevant in this matter, please do get me started!

Actually, I don't know how much memory I'm using now exactly but lowering the texture resolutions to half (in-game option) was enough to get things running. Thanks for the tip!

If you have an ATI video card you can reconfigure the game by simply setting the card to override all graphics functions of the game and running solely on the video card configuration. For me, this cleaned up all issues with lag in the game yes I have triple buffering on. In fact I have my card at max and no issues. This only works to eliminate active game lag, and not loading time. I also suggest running at least with 16GB RAM (I'm on 8GB and very, very soon to be on 32GB) this is so there is plenty of ram for the system and KSP has room to run with out running out of RAM. I currently run at 52% usage inside the VAB/SPH. I currently have a 5000 series (ATI-5770 to be exact) I'll be trying it out on a ATI-7970 in the month to come. I'm not aware if this is possible on nVidia cards or not.

Edited by Eskandare
Wrong card model....

If you have an ATI video card you can reconfigure the game by simply setting the card to override all graphics functions of the game and running solely on the video card configuration. For me, this cleaned up all issues with lag in the game yes I have triple buffering on. In fact I have my card at max and no issues. This only works to eliminate active game lag, and not loading time. I also suggest running at least with 16GB RAM (I'm on 8GB and very, very soon to be on 32GB) this is so there is plenty of ram for the system and KSP has room to run with out running out of RAM. I currently run at 52% usage inside the VAB/SPH. I currently have a 5000 series (ATI-5770 to be exact) I'll be trying it out on a ATI-7970 in the month to come. I'm not aware if this is possible on nVidia cards or not.

KSP is can use a limited amount of RAM - 4 Gb max since it is a 32-bit application.

In addition - any more than 3,7 - 3,9 Gb of RAM used and the game crashes.

Upgrading your RAM to more than 8 Gb(unless you are running other memory intensive programs in the background) will improve absolutely nothing.

@Luigi94 and @password333333:

I had those problems today, turns out that I installed the 3.3.1 version, now that I have the X4r1 version everything is working great.

Get it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/414-0-20-Dev-build-of-Mapsat-4-available-and-blog-update

Or if you want to continue using 3.3.1, follow Gauis' instructions in this post

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/9396-0-20-ISA-MapSat-4-0-Dev-Build?p=383709&viewfull=1#post383709

I finally got it working in Fedora Core 19 by running ag's fix (linked a few pages back). However, i got a MapSat satellite on orbit and it starts generating the map. Then i get out of the flight (without ending it). When i go back to the flight and activate the scanning again (clicking "SCN"), nothing happens :( the scanning is never resumed. Am I doing something wrong? This just happened with 2 different flights. The final probe was 4 RCS thrusters, a stackable RCS tank, one solar panel, one OKTO and one stackable battery.

Thanks!

Will this mod show you where you are/your base is, on the planet surface? :)

I hope it will. Then it'll be like an *almost* realtime map of the surface.

The mod makes actual scans, but because crafts on the surface aren't rendered while you're in orbit, they couldn't be picked up by a satellite, even if the base was large enough to otherwise change the readings.