Kron series (Kron 6 end of mission) - temporary halt of program

lajoswinkler

28 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I've been using the following patch. Might be some small issues, but none that break the cameras that I've encountered. It definitely fixes the "Hey, where'd my camera focus go?" bug that was present in the 1.1-pre-release version of Hullcam.

My issue was not only that shaders weren't visible, but also that the craft wasn't operable. Even if there was another craft next to it, you couldn't switch to it. Ultimatively, it would crash the whole game and nothing would be saved. I'll check the patch, thanks.

11 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Details of the multitude of objects in Plockian system are starting to get apparent.

I trust you :| but I don't see more than in the other image :P .

What mod makes that images?

Edited by kunok

23 minutes ago, kunok said:

I trust you :| but I don't see more than in the other image :P .

What mod makes that images?

There are more pixels here. >:D

No mod. I just take a screenshot (supersized screenshotting in KSP config file, factor 2) and then find the glowing dot in the image, crop it and rexize it with just pixel resize.

43 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Hullcam doesn't work, even with the patch. 

Bummer. If I'd been using the patch at the time I was having control issues I'd blame it instead. I've not seen the issue you're seeing though. 

There are a couple other mods that use Hullcam code in them, or Hullcam derived code, so an eventual (and "permanent") fix will happen.

39 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

There are more pixels here. >:D

That little difference can be pure perspective :P

39 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

No mod. I just take a screenshot (supersized screenshotting in KSP config file, factor 2) and then find the glowing dot in the image, crop it and rexize it with just pixel resize.

Clever, very clever.

Karen has almost occulted Plock, but the probe is faster, so it did a little retrograde dance in the sky. Beros is still pixel or two.

plockkarenberos2.png

Higher resolution images are expected very soon. :)

Edited by lajoswinkler

On July 10, 2016 at 2:37 AM, lajoswinkler said:

[snipped]

Bad news: Kaos 3 has two RTG units, both of which are now at 50% capacity because they're apparently breaking down. Also, probe's ion engine has suffered damage and is now 400% overheating. It shouldn't pose a problem.

[snipped]

(Relevant sections bolded)

How did that happen in the first place and how is it not a puff of smoke right now?!

35 minutes ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

(Relevant sections bolded)

How did that happen in the first place and how is it not a puff of smoke right now?!

Kerbalism. The engine is fine because its heat output should already be very tiny, so 4x isn't gonna pose problems. Also, it never again did much work.

Kaos 3 mission report: probe visited Karen and went through Plock's periapsis at 5 km, at 3.4 km/s speed. Complex electrical interactions observed by the magnetometer and the radiowave experiments.

Preparing the images for download.

Edited by lajoswinkler

Camera images of highest resolution downloaded.

Two images of Karen.

Spoiler

karen.png karen2.png

Plock

Spoiler

plock.png

Beros in three consecutive stages of rotation.

Spoiler

beros.png

Same as Beros, here's Kyx.

Spoiler

kyx.png

As you can see, Beros and Kyx are way too small to be discerned as anything than lumpy rocks, which they probably are.

Kaos 3 zipped by Plock at 3.4 km/s, less than 5 km above the terrain. No special features were seen.

1ABFD4D24BF3BC765F84B7F700FF4BC248579F14

AC0078E84EE7413292A3192C53A379DC5EB404ED

B6B23ABB50CC89B492AD8DEFBC72728843A08AA0

The probe measured complex electrostatic interactions between Plock and Karen. As they spin one around another, they mess up their electrical fields.

Surface has been identified as cryogenic volatiles contaminated with complex organic molecules. Atmosphere was not detected.

The Ministry Of No Better Things To Do is pleased by the findings. It now considers Beros and Kyx as giant potatos, possibly being beneficial to the Kerbalkind colonization of the solar system.

52 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

The Ministry Of No Better Things To Do is pleased by the findings. It now considers Beros and Kyx as giant potatos, possibly being beneficial to the Kerbalkind colonization of the solar system.

Who would they have hanged if they weren't pleased?

Anyway, job well done!

The lack of a video of the high-speed flyby is disappointing. But for this:

6 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

You win 1.78 Internets. :D

Please keep the remarkably entertaining mission reports coming. 

13 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Who would they have hanged if they weren't pleased?

Anyway, job well done!

The Kerbal civilization does not employ criminal methods. They'd just spend more money on bureaucracy, probably the Department of redundancy department. Also probably diverting the public focus onto something else like the fact Jool is green. That always works. :D

8 hours ago, TheSaint said:

The lack of a video of the high-speed flyby is disappointing. But for this:

You win 1.78 Internets. :D

Please keep the remarkably entertaining mission reports coming. 

Sadly, I couldn't do a video because all the details were maxed out, so another program gulping the resources would be too much for my poor lappy.

Instead I did those rotations with Beros and Kyx.

Anyway, I was thinking about Karen's potential landing sites. These seem interesting.

karen_potential.png

There are probably others as well. Usual approach was visiting both poles and an interesting feature between them. I'll have to pack enough oxidizer.

Service module launched and docked to Kron 6. The ship is already pretty big, and there's still the propulsion module waiting to be attached.

Here are some screenshots.

Spoiler

901A5AE21ADC9C69721860256EA4B513579DE111

Spoiler

BDB5516A094468CC0345759D43C976DC0214BADA

Spoiler

1A6B2358C6E677F8E38E15AC9AC82B44820A4849

Spoiler

958A5E55F7C1928A54C7E18E73F75E89C78CD029

Spoiler

EAC38CB4EA64EDA6D43EB0A4022A7AA6C9E09BF2

Edited by lajoswinkler

The propulsion unit has been loaded on a brand new launch vehicle with seven Mainsails and two Twin boar liquid fuel boosters in the first stage and one Rhino engine in the second stage.

Third stage is one Skipper that will be used for initial kick of the whole assembled ship.

The launch is in a few hours. Propulsion unit tanks are empty.

ED99B096A175EF8691E7DE7A031767D828930F45

Here is the future crew watching the launch of the unit that will push them where no Kerbal has gone before.

55E7BF398AFC1672D2B7E65E116A08B78B598690

This is one of the largest rockets I've ever successfully flown.

Spoiler

BD6269FD56DD752A00A266D1E333F3D70482E02C

Booster separation was very precise.

Spoiler

A7305336DDAABC0C5BFD72E4FA60583F22CDC5EC

First stage also separated with ease.

Spoiler

1211572AF92330B0CBA64B2076816765CA41F13D

I used three fairings because the unit has a radial symmetry based on number 3.

Spoiler

BC0F1DE0EAEC54AF24E766319DC1F55F4856E5B3

After the unit was placed into a 170x170 km orbit, the second stage detached and moved away.

Spoiler

FBDA441DE2A914CEFAC643A7DBE24F066942BA78

Engineer Bill Kerman will reach Kron 6 and dock it to the propulsion unit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.