Kron series (Kron 6 end of mission) - temporary halt of program

lajoswinkler

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

The probe is dead now, but anything available was transmitted during its mission.

Yes, we lost contact, but automatic instruments should have gotten more sensor data, even after the antenna broke. Plus, we should be able to find out what went wrong by recovering the blackbox. 

The probe's flight data recorder is located inside Panel 05 of the OKTO. To open, push the small button marked ARM PANEL COVER 05 EJECTION for three seconds, then pull the lever marked EJECT PANEL COVER 05. The flight data recorder is a hard drive labeled JAI:OP-FDR inside the storage rack labeled JAI:OP-SR-17.

Edited by KAL 9000

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bob found himself back at the ship.

CCFB5B131D27FAA85E27BA9131512EF4E623B351

In fact, the whole crew was back. The only thing that was different was the amount of fuel in the lander, consumables and the ship's chronometer. Lander's fuel was almost depleted and the chronometer read 28 days, six hours and twelve minutes after the initial loss of communication with Bob. Kerty has no memories of the passed time.

The crew decided it was not worth going back to Beros because whatever was that did this might not be so generous next time.

Off to Kyx.

F614E2CC16C35D7F4D356ED9D0C67AFCEBD1564F

(Reason for latest hiatus can be found in my current signature.)

Edited by lajoswinkler

• 1 month later...

Yay, this is still going!  Wow, that anomaly is certainly.....  puzzling.  Have any of the crew noticed new scars and/or lumps under their skin, like from having things implanted or removed?  Are they having strange dreams?  Manifesting telekinesis or telepathy?  Glowing in the dark?

The only change was that Bob had to go to the toilet more often. Waste reprocessing unit had to work overtime for a few hours...

Kyx is such a boring potato which is typical of small bodies at huge distances from stars. It very much resembles Gilly but it's icy.

B2CE0612322323F5BA40DFA36B2C29A1A5E7DCC0

F712E426AE30A415B7CF616EEB8F2DAAEF9D4864

Bob was again the first one to leave the spacecraft. He made the last contact with officially most distant planetary body in Kerbol system.

6B8307C6FB9C32A9C5C7F016F34851CA64BFE6C9

Bob can jump 25 m on Kyx.

D40C27EE0FBC849936DC681B857D8722231F09A7

While Bob was busy with jumping, Jebediah planted the last flag of the mission.

B75D88C6C5433C1F66C69057578CDB8B4D1F6D1D

Meanwhile, Bill was setting a permanent science station.

574067C1E2B3D10EBBCDD923EBB06F2536EB4329

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

The only change was that Bob had to go to the toilet more often. Waste reprocessing unit had to work overtime for a few hours...

Did the health-monitoring things in the toilet detect any strange microbes, nanobots, or worms? :D 

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

Bob was again the first one to leave the spacecraft. He made the last contact with officially most distant planetary body in Kerbol system.

Quite an impressive achievement!  Congrats!  Splice the main brace!  All hands on deck to dance and skylark! :wink: 

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Did the health-monitoring things in the toilet detect any strange microbes, nanobots, or worms? :D

No worms. Other things will have to be checked at home because Jeb broke the microscope. ;.;

Having Bill the engineer in the landing party is always a good idea because only the engineers know how to plug and unplug equipment. Here's Bill telling Bob he shouldn't bother him with petty things.

925B308A6F279077AD706AE1AB67AF68D7AFD3FE

The science station has been assembled and Bob can now get some valuable data.

FA5F2EBC29EA3837759EBF38E31F68E174582D2E

Bob found out the surface is covered in volatiles which easily sublimate when you try doing anything with them, but that wasn't unexpected because it's so cold here that pressure suits work overtime just to keep them warm. Surface temperature is around -200 °C at best and sunlight is so poor it takes considerable time for the experiments to finish their work.

Kyx is a cold, dead lump, probably originating from Plock itself.

53 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I wonder if the anemometer or weather vane will ever move?  Or did Bob flick them with his fingers when Bill wasn't looking?

Anemometer was there because conclusive proof was needed there was no wind in vacuum, and because its usefulness ended aboard the ship.
Bill flicked it which made Bob experience a hissy fit. :sticktongue:

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

@lajoswinkler

"Whats with the gun?"

flag for your ingame missions!

That's an electrical screwdriver. :)

Thanks, but I always use the same old DRE flag. I've actually designed the Deadly Reentry logo you see in KSP menu and since then I'm using the flag version as the official flag.

That middle part of the flag you made is especially interesting.

1 minute ago, lajoswinkler said:

That middle part of the flag you made is especially interesting.

I can enhance it, if you want! 

1 minute ago, lajoswinkler said:

That's an electrical screwdriver.

"Whats with the gun?" it is a quote from Hotline Miami 2, i just add random quotes to the presented patches/art, don't pay attention.

4 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Thanks, but I always use the same old DRE flag. I've actually designed the Deadly Reentry logo you see in KSP menu and since then I'm using the flag version as the official flag.

Okay! But you can always use mine for your future missions!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No, I don't upload crafts.

Yay, update! (I'm really dragging this along...)

The ship is still in orbit of Kyx and it's time to prepare it for departure. Laboratory was detached to become a permanent, although abandoned, Kyx station.

675024305199B8647554BD8C57B7A885A00EA7B3

After that, Knugen lander was depleted of useful, and stuffed with useless material.

9180686B43F8F37DC87C74B9D0BEA4CD04DC9427

Together with the greenhouse, it was attached to the laboratory.

947DA2A2A76C8B7B948000BABE9319385BD206F4

The ship was reassembled and artificial gravity torus reopened. Almost 1000 m/s of delta v was gained by this rearrangement.

C501B42C54CC5B02FA382AF439AA6E8B86BDA1DA

Yay! This is heading for the 4th anniversary on the 20th!

Are you doing ablate for Kron 7?  If not, I'd recommend the Kolythemus mod.  It adds a gas giant between kerbin and eve with three interesting moons.  

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.