KSP on Linux w/ Radeon 4xxx HD - Ubuntu WIN!

JackDraak

TL;DR - Use Ubuntu 14.10 if you want a Linux install for KSP.

The longer version: While rebuilding an old PC for a friend I decided to check if I could get it running KSP. I first tried Debian 7.7.0 but ran into several problems. After trying to get the video fixed, it broke Steam and just became a big headache. There were other things I wasn't thrilled with about the install, so today I tossed Ubuntu 14.10 on instead and I'm very pleased to report that it worked "out of the box". The Ubuntu Software Centre had a "Steam-launcher" ready to install. On first-run it did have to install some additional libraries, but before I knew it KSP was running without a hitch!

I've been running KSP on Ububtu for a while! The problem for me has never been getting steam to install, it has been getting my damn laptop's dual power saving graphics wizardry to work properly!

If it's NVIDIA Optimus technology, I think the NVIDIA Prime package (not 100% sure on the name) lets you set GPU vs. onboard, though that involves a restart. Trying to get it back to working the way it should is a giant headache: I know the Bumblebee package is supposed to do that, but I was utterly unsuccessful in getting that to work the way it should.

I'm quite sure you could get KSP to run on other Linux installations, but I can also confirm that it is relatively easy to install Ubuntu and run KSP. If you're new to Linux, it is what I would currently suggest.

If it's NVIDIA Optimus technology, I think the NVIDIA Prime package -snip-

Thanks for the advice, but I did get it working eventually using NVIDIA's drivers. The drivers for Linux are relatively new so I previously used Bumblebee, but like you I had varying degrees of success with that!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.