Part Modeling in Maya how to guide

I've been silently working on making some mods for KSP, but I've had a heck of a time getting MAYA working with KSP. I've also noticed a lot of people on the forums with the same problems. I hope this helps!

This information is for MAYA 2011, or higher, but should still apply to older versions.

When using Maya to create parts for KSP, there are a few settings that will make your life much easier.

First off, Ensure that you have the latest DAE_FBX plugin installed in Maya. You can get the plugin here. This will allow you to create the DAE meshes

that are needed by KSP.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=10775855&siteID=123112

Next, you need to make sure both the DAE_FBX plugin and Maya are configured to use the correct scale.

This will correct any issues with oversized or undersized parts.

To set Maya's units

Go to Window->Settings/Preferences->Preferences

In preferences Select settings on the left hand side, Change world co-ordinate system to up axis Y and Working units to Linear: Meter

example2w.png

To Configure the DAE_FBX plugin for importation

Go to File->Import

When in the Import menu, select 'files of type' from the bottom and change it to DAE_FBX. This will give you acess to the file type specific options on the right hand

options menu.

Expand File Type Specific options-> Advanced options-> Units

Uncheck automatic and select file units converted to: Meters

To check to make sure all of your settings are correct, File Specific Options->Statistics should show:

File Axis Direction: Y-up

File Units: Meters

System Axis Direction: Y-up

System Units: Meters

example2w.png

To Configure the DAE_FBX plugin for exportation

Go to File->Export All

When in the Export menu, select 'files of type' from the bottom and change it to DAE_FBX.

Under the Options Menu on the right hand side, expand File Type Specific Options->Advanced options.

Under Units, check to make sure that automatic is unchecked, and select File units converted to: Meters.

Next, Under Collada make sure Single Matrix is unchecked. This should correct rotational issues with your model.

example3lx.png

Side notes and information.

For some reason, it appears that maya cannot export groups to the DAE_FBX plugin. If you have groups for your models, the output will break.

When creating your file, make sure to include a collision mesh. To do this, Select your object and open up the attribute editor (This is on the right hand side by default).

Change the transform:name to read exactly node_collider.

Please let me know if there are any additional clarifications needed / advice on this article. Happy Kerbal modding :D

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Those are incredibly complicated topics. I\'m afraid I just don\'t have the time to do a tutorial of that sort of scope, sorry.

I am a bit confused to the workflow we should follow, is it as follows?

So set up maya as you mentioned with the plugin.

Model the object (lets say a standard cube for now)

Assign a material to the model (lambert for example)

Unwrap the UV of the model for use with textures later.

Create a new model that will be used for collision. This will be the node_collider and basic cube or cylinder. - does this also need to be assigned a material and unwrapped? Can we not just make the alpha 0 so it is not visible.

-----

3D model is now done.

-----

Create a texture in photoshop and save as .png

edit the cfg file so it has properties / description desired.

done?

I have done modelling before but never really done something for use in a game engine so just want to clarify it is the same as blender. Having never used the software before it is a real hassle trying to use it.

Thank You

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Ugh my textures/uvmap doesnt properlyalign with the mesh

Post an image example of the difference between Maya and KSP (Unity), but from experience Maya > Game Engines usually this is a precision issue. As most game engines use far lower precision than 128-bit Floating Points (which Maya uses)

It is common practise to make sure your Texture Image is 2-3 Pixels outside of the UV Map as this will handle any precision differences and close seems that might appear.

Another thing to make sure is that prior to exporting you "Modify > Freeze Transformations" then "Edit > Delete by Type > History", this literally just cleans up the mesh prior to exporting so all the values are using a Root-Base instead of Offset-Base.

It's a small thing but it can help with precision of UV Maps and Animation Keys often, it is actually good to get in the habit of using these quite often unless the local transformation is important to what you are working with.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello

I have a few questions :

1/ Do I need to triangulate the object before exporting it ?

2/ It is really needed to trinagulate the object ? I saw some videos where guys are creating some models and they were not triangulating the object. They were not triangulating it during export too.

3/ I read that Maya has problems to export groups for DAE file. So can I use FBX file ? Again I saw one video where a guy was exporting from blender to UNITY and used FBX file.

4/ Scale things. Do I have to watch the scale of my model within Maya or it is possible to scale later with part.cfg file directly in the game ?

Thank you guys for your answers.

Have a nice day

1/ Do I need to triangulate the object before exporting it ?

2/ It is really needed to trinagulate the object ? I saw some videos where guys are creating some models and they were not triangulating the object. They were not triangulating it during export too.

3/ I read that Maya has problems to export groups for DAE file. So can I use FBX file ? Again I saw one video where a guy was exporting from blender to UNITY and used FBX file.

4/ Scale things. Do I have to watch the scale of my model within Maya or it is possible to scale later with part.cfg file directly in the game ?

1. Nope.

2. everything gets triangulated in the end whether you want to or not. don't sweat it when exporting. The only time when you want to manually triangulate is to fix oblique triangles that you sometimes get from automatic triangulation that happens, they create shadow artifacts in certain lighting conditions.

3. FBX is fine. make sure you exclude lights and cameras from your exports

4. set your system unit to meters, size 1 for 1.25 m parts; 2 for 2.5m parts; 3 for 3.75m parts.

, here's a good overview.

1. Nope.

2. everything gets triangulated in the end whether you want to or not. don't sweat it when exporting. The only time when you want to manually triangulate is to fix oblique triangles that you sometimes get from automatic triangulation that happens, they create shadow artifacts in certain lighting conditions.

3. FBX is fine. make sure you exclude lights and cameras from your exports

4. set your system unit to meters, size 1 for 1.25 m parts; 2 for 2.5m parts; 3 for 3.75m parts.

, here's a good overview.

Thank you very much for the reply.

My model is nearly completed just UV mapping and texturing missing.

I started watching some videos how to import model to unity and to game. And there guys are using different styles so I started to be confused.

Well I am a self -educating in Maya so questions arise fairly often.

Thank you again for the info.

Have a nice day

• 11 months later...

With the 2016 version I do not see the import/export steps option for file type, can someone clarify the steps for the 2016 version of Maya? Also can you use the free educational version of Maya to mod for Kerbal?

Caithloki, the information outlined in this thread is outdated - KSP now uses MU files rather than DAEs for part models, and so the required workflow is now Blender ->Unity 4.2.2 + KSP PartTools -> CFG file editing -> KSP.

Most people making add-ons for KSP now use Blender instead of Maya, because Blender is free, and more people on the forums are knowledgeable about Blender than Maya.

I'm closing and unsticky-ing this thread to prevent further confusion.