.90 - Saved ship files not available when pressing "Load" in VAB (nothing happens)

I'm using KSP .90.0.705 Beta

I started my first game in Sandbox mode.

Built a ship in the VAB. Saved the ship file

Had a game crash, later. Cut back on the graphics in settings, and went back to my save. Got into the VAB, tried to load the ship file, and nothing.

I click on the folder icon, which has a dark gray rectangle near it labeled "Load". Nothing happens. Does not matter if I left click or right click.

I've been playing the game since .16, so I know how it ought to open. I have been unable to get the game to load for .24 and .25, so if anything changed since .23 I would not know (I was SO happy to find .90 loaded, I thought I was stuck with .23 forever, unless I got a better computer). But I cannot imagine a change since .23 that would not work by clicking on the"Load" folder icon.

When I say will not load in the VAB, I mean nothing happens at all. I click on it and there is no box that comes up to show a list of ships as there usually is. It's as though the "load" button is doing nothing at all.

My computer is using Windows Vista Home Premium. Service Pack 2

Processor AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.73 GHz

4.0 Gig memory.

32-bit Operating System.

- GeorgeG

Edited by GeorgeG

If you had a crash, it sounds like one of your ship files is corrupt.

If you press ALT+F2, then try to load it will often tell you what file it is hung up on. If that doesn't work, try copying all your .craft files out of the VAB & SPH folders. Then see if the load screen comes up.

If it does, then copy back the files a few at a time (you can leave KSP running) and try to press the load button. Eventually you should narrow down the broken file.

Cheers,

-Claw

This typically means one of the craft files in the VAB (and/or SPH, if the problem occurs there also) folder(s) is corrupted and preventing the game from passing a certain point in the loading code. What you'll need to do is get into the VAB, replicate the problem, and then hit Alt +F2 to bring up the debug log. It should tell you which craft file is busted. While fixing the craft is theoretically possible, generally speaking a corrupted file that prevents the game loading other files has lost a lot of its data, and it would be faster to just rebuild the craft from scratch. You will need to manually delete the broken craft file outside of the game. :)

OK, thanks very much to you both.

Later Sunday, I'll do a total fresh install. Because I never even tried to open / load any of the stock ships , I just jumped right into making a new ship to try things out. So I have no idea if it would have worked fine to load other ships to begin with or not.

If it works fine, and I can access and load stock ships, then it must have been a corruption from the first crash, problem will be solved. If it cannot access ship files in the VAB even from a fresh install, there's a deeper problem.

I'll keep hold of the ship files i made after the crash, and not even install those until seeing if the fresh install works. And I'll delete the ship file that I had during the crash, as you suggested. It was not that complex of a ship to begin with, under 5 mins to rebuild.

- GeorgeG

Unfortunately, the fresh install has the same problem. Cannot open any ships.

I saved the log file, put it on Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/spthymz1plsdnnt/KSP.log?dl=0

Below is a screenshot of the last lines of the debug console after I tried to load a ship file.

Thanks for trying to figure this out.

- GeorgeG

FUlYXx9.png

Oh dear. Your log file is a train wreck of epic proportions.

My first suggestion is to get KSP off of your desktop. That's a known problem for KSP vs. Windows DEP. Make sure you "Copy & Paste" it off, or install a new copy to someplace like C:\Games\KSP. Do not "Move" or Windows will figure out that you're trying to trick it and "help."

Try that and run the game again. If you're still having problems, report a new output_log.txt

Cheers,

~Claw

SOLVED!

But not at first. I am a Mac guy, mainly use the PC to run KSP as my Mac can't run the Mac version.

So, i use my Mac laptop to download the game and parts and such, then use a thumb drive to move them to the PC. Also BTW, the PC got some severe viruses on it a few months ago. Finally got rid of the viruses, but I do not let it connect to the internet anymore, just not worth it and do not need it to.

I would unzip the downloaded game into the thumb drive, and then copy the unzipped game to the PC. I know I did this a few times for earlier versions such as .19 and .23, and they were OK.

So, I copied the .90 game from the thumb drive to a folder in the PC listed "Games". Still did not work, Directly copied from the thumb drive to the hard drive. Still did not work (by not work I mean could not open a ship file in the VAB). I even tried to run the game off of the Thumb drive copy, same problem.

You mentioned how the log file was an epic train wreck. It occurred to me that perhaps the train wreck was not necessarily WHERE the game had been copied to, but HOW that copy had been generated.

So, I copied the compressed zip file to the PC. THEN extracted it, letting the PC extract it.

Started the game, went to the VAB, nervously clicked on the folder icon to open a ship file… and got the "Select a ship to load" window!

This may also explain why I could never get .24 or .25 to run, they would hang at the same part of the start-up load. But .90 loaded and runs fine….. until the point of trying to open a ship file. So if I want to go back and try .24 or .25 then I ought to try copying the original zip file to the PC, then extract it.

So, thanks very much! Now I have a some tasks ahead of me to copy and move over the ship files I could not open before, and reinstall various mods that I have found work nicely on a modded copy of .90.

I hope this helps with your expert's knowledge base for future bugs other people report. There probably are not many who use a 2nd computer to download the game and then use a thumb drive like I did. But odds are there are some, who may inevitably have this problem or something else that is related to that process.

- GeorgeG

Edited by GeorgeG

SOLVED!...

I hope this helps with your expert's knowledge base for future bugs other people report.

Excellent, I'm glad you got it sorted out!

And yes, letting us know this kind of thing is definitely helpful for the future. :D

Cheers,

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.