[1.3.0] Filter Extensions 3.0.4 (Jul 11)

Crzyrndm

Still no go on my end. I tried giving the CLS subcategory the "CargoBay" icon, and then I tried removing both configs and duplicating the DataTransmitter icons into LimitedDataTransmitter icons, but the CLS and LDT filter-by-module icons still show up as question marks. Am I missing something?

Er, no I found the issue. It was picking up the edit and delete subCategories as empty since they don't have parts assigned to them the same way :/

.dll on github

Edited by Crzyrndm

That dll took one step forward, and one back, and missed one.

The good news: the LimitedDataTransmitter category now gets whatever icon I assign it. I've made a pull request with the config I use.

However, the Mission Controller 2 "manufacturer" category doesn't show up unless I give it an icon (I've used the toolbar icon that MC2 comes with, copied into the Autoloaded_Icons_Mods folder and called MissionControllerEC and MissionControllerEC_selected), instead of showing the question mark like before. It would be really cool if icon-less mods could have their acronyms shown, like the old PartCatalog did, but it looks like most of the major part-mods have icons (kudos to you and KaiserSoze), so it may be easier to just fill whatever gaps still remain. Looking through the mod icon folder, ASET and Firespitter are the other omissions that jump out at me. Alexustas (maker of ASET mods) has used an "A"-shaped logo on his mod threads, so I might make something like that for this mod, unless someone else beats me to it. :)

And still no luck with ConnectedLivingSpace. I'm still seeing a question mark for that one, whether I tell it to use the CargoBay icon, or R&D_node_icon_evatech, or R&D_node_icon_advunmanned (I suppose I could try other textures, but I think there's something funky about this category).

Sooner or later, we'll tease out all of these cases. Thanks for working on it!

That dll took one step forward, and one back, and missed one.

;.;

I'll get on it as soon as I fix up how Pilot Assistant handles planetary poles...

kudos to you and KaiserSoze

Icons are all thanks to KaiserSoze. Can't thank him enough for that, so much easier to use now.

In version 1.10, the file named "ATM_Override.txt" should actually be "ATM_Override.cfg". If it's a txt, MM won't read it and the icons are blurry again, but I can confirm that renaming the file-extension gets it working perfectly.:D

I must say, this addon is probably the single greatest reason why I've even entertained upgrading to KSP 0.90. Without this, I'd still be lamenting my lack of PartCatalog and stubbornly clinging to KSP 0.25.

In version 1.10, the file named "ATM_Override.txt" should actually be "ATM_Override.cfg". If it's a txt, MM won't read it and the icons are blurry again, but I can confirm that renaming the file-extension gets it working perfectly.:D

I'll just quietly fix that...

PS

Would you believe that I never used any of the part filter/sort'ing mods before I made this? Not that I liked the stock implementation, but I couldn't stand the mods either (I had a go at making my own in 0.25, but making new categories then basically required a whole new GUI, and that got horrific rather too quickly *shivers*)

Edited by Crzyrndm

Looking through the mod icon folder, ASET and Firespitter are the other omissions that jump out at me. Alexustas (maker of ASET mods) has used an "A"-shaped logo on his mod threads, so I might make something like that for this mod, unless someone else beats me to it. :)

I just created icons for the mods I use, since I do not like the "?" icons. But feel free to ask for more icons if you want me to add them. Since you said you are going to do it I won't do firespitter and ASET mods until further notice. But anyone else willing to add a new icon for mod just include a request here with a link to the forum page for the addon (if there is no mod icon means I do not use and I could need the forum to get information and maybe a hint of inspiration for the icon).

Also while I have a made a few icons, many of them are reconversion (resizing, recoloring) from the icons already made for PartCatalog. I also try to use the own mod flag if they have someone. So, a big part of the merit should be in blacknecro in toerti.

- - - Updated - - -

Also one tip regarding the creation of new icons: I highly recommend create both icons "icon.png" and "icon_selected.png". If there is no selected icon the engine uses the icon with the name as "_selected" and creates a new one bases on the other. This new one is purely a black/white icon so it misses degradation and which is more important it misses partial transparencies. Therefore the result is icon that looks blurry until selected.

I made an issue on GitHub with all of the part mods I've used (or thought about using) that don't yet have icons. Some of them do have icons in PartCatalog, so I'll see about adapting those. I'm still playing with just stock parts on my 0.90 install, so I don't feel too much urgency to make more icons, but I figured it's good to put them out there.

EDIT: Just tried the new dll. Mission Controller 2 is back with a question mark (yay!), ConnectedLivingSpace (under filter-by-module) is still stuck with a question mark (aw!). Maybe I'll have to do some testing with other mods that add custom modules (USI and EPL come to mind) -- which ones get treated that way vs. behaving as expected, and figure out what factor is at work.

EDIT 2: I noticed one of the commits said something about improved logging, but I'm not seeing any reference to the CLS module in any of the [Filter Extensions] lines. For what it's worth, here's my CLS category filter:

SUBCATEGORY
{
category = Filter by Module
title = Connected Living Space
oldtitle = Connected Living Space
icon = R&D_node_icon_evatech
}

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

EDIT: Just tried the new dll. Mission Controller 2 is back with a question mark (yay!), ConnectedLivingSpace (under filter-by-module) is still stuck with a question mark (aw!). Maybe I'll have to do some testing with other mods that add custom modules (USI and EPL come to mind) -- which ones get treated that way vs. behaving as expected, and figure out what factor is at work.

Bah, I only tested it with the autoloader (which works fine...)...

EDIT

Found it, there's a tiny typo in your cfg

{    category = Filter by Module
old[COLOR=#ff0000]T[/COLOR]itle = Connected Living Space
}

Edited by Crzyrndm

I started to use the dds loader and the dds converter. It seems your mod is unable to recognize dds-textures. Is there a way to implement these files?

I'll have a look, but it shouldn't be an issue. Is it putting question marks on everything or did it crash? I'll need logs for a crash...

Also one tip regarding the creation of new icons: I highly recommend create both icons "icon.png" and "icon_selected.png". If there is no selected icon the engine uses the icon with the name as "_selected" and creates a new one bases on the other. This new one is purely a black/white icon so it misses degradation and which is more important it misses partial transparencies. Therefore the result is icon that looks blurry until selected.

Can I have an example of one that doesn't work. I can change it so it uses exactly the same icon for both states with only a single texture.

EDIT

Slight syntax handling change coming up for subcategory editing such as what Kerbas_ad_astra was doing. If it can't find a valid oldTitle key it will attempt to use the title key (so for only setting an icon, oldTitle doesn't actually have to be used). I've also fixed the need to specify an icon alongside a title for editing (which previously would overwrite even sC's with valid icons with the '?').

This makes all of the following valid edits

SUBCATEGORY
{
}

SUBCATEGORY
{
title = foo
oldTitle = Connected Living Space
}

SUBCATEGORY
{
title = foo
oldTitle = Connected Living Space
}

Edited by Crzyrndm

v1.11 released

• All CHECK types are now compatible with ',' seperated lists of values. Please note that these lists are using OR logic (this will break propellant checks using the listing method as they were set up to use AND logic)
  • Changed edit syntax requirements. No need to specify oldTitle if it isn't changing, or an icon if it already has a valid icon
  • Several bug fixes for sC editing
  • Improved logging when sC creation fails
  • More icons and configs courtesy of KaiserSoze

Wow... that was fast! You solved the problem! Thank you once again!

Not the first or last time that one is going to occur. Makes debugging easy :D

Found it, there's a tiny typo in your cfg

{    category = Filter by Module
old[COLOR=#ff0000]T[/COLOR]itle = Connected Living Space
}

Gah, that's what it was? Of course, now I see that Notepad++ is flagging "oldtitle" as a misspelling, but not "oldTitle" in my AntennaRange (Limited Data Transfer) config (it's smart like that, but I've gotten used to ignoring spell-checker warnings from using other editors).

Well, at least the new generation of configs will only need a 'title' value to change icons. Thanks!

Can I have an example of one that doesn't work. I can change it so it uses exactly the same icon for both states with only a single texture.

Remove temporarily one of the icons named "_selected" on the filterbymodule and you will see what happens. The icon get blurry until you selected. The problem is that the game (not sure if its you plugin or the coregame) asumes that if there is only one icon it uses that icon for the selected status and a variation of that icon for the unselected status. That variation seems to be putting the icon in a format purely B/N and also with no transparency. Meaning pixels partially visible fully black, hence the blurry (not the best word to describe it). The result is that the shapes gets bigger and overlap a little: not the intended rsult.

Anyway, easier to test for yourself than explain. However, as I said a solution is simple: always include both icons (unless the original was already a purely B/N icon, which mines never are)

The problem is that the game (not sure if its you plugin or the coregame) asumes that if there is only one icon it uses that icon for the selected status and a variation of that icon for the unselected status.

Can you try this version and see if that fixes it? It should, since it's just telling it to use the same texture twice if there is no "_selected" icon (assuming it works, I'm part way through some things that could totally break the icons -.-)

I will try, but I've decided to use different icons. Black for unselected and white for selected, so in the end it wouldn't matter. (It cannot be done automatically beacuse some icons still have some hint of color, like the propelent for the engines).

btw I've noticed some cfg filter have been deleted. It was on purpouse? (mono engines, girder, struts, launchclaps). I have no problem since I can duplicate them in a personal folder, but just bringing this to your attention if it was done by mistake.

Edited by KaiserSoze

btw I've noticed some cfg filter have been deleted. It was on purpouse? (mono engines, girder, struts, launchclaps). I have no problem since I can duplicate them in a personal folder, but just bringing this to your attention if it was done by mistake.

No mistake, even on an unmodded install I was over a page of subCategories in Filter by Function. That was making things harder to find rather than easier so I trimmed it down a little.

No mistake, even on an unmodded install I was over a page of subCategories in Filter by Function. That was making things harder to find rather than easier so I trimmed it down a little.

Ok, I though something similar and that is why I was trying to create main categories filters. So I can have subcategories there without having too many. Still no decided how I like it, so not commit on those.