[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

For those following this thread, moons are coming along nicely - ones both large and small. Here's a scenic vantage point Jeb found on a small moon in Sarnus' rings.

http://i.imgur.com/Puurwxo.png

Are those cliffs... vertical? Nice!

When will this moon update come? I'd like to play with it sometime today, before my winter break is over.

I found a real life picture put out by NASA that complements this photo so well. If you go to the link they posted the image with a 90 degree tilt. It looks like the Kerbal is standing the moon in the NASA picture LOL!

Kerbal:

For those following this thread, moons are coming along nicely - ones both large and small. Here's a scenic vantage point Jeb found on a small moon in Sarnus' rings.

http://i.imgur.com/Puurwxo.png

NASA: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150104.html

saturnrhea_cassini_980.jpg

From the screenshot of new moon it looks like you're doing gilly based moons and I have to say I like it. Gilly/Minmus style procedural moons are much better in my opinion as they tend to actually look closer to stock planets and have a higher quality as opposed to trying to use textures for vertexmaps which tend to make the land really jagged and low resolution.

Very nice planets! Any chance we could get support for Final Frontier ribbons?

EDIT: Noticed something strange with map view. The camera doesn't zoom far enough out like in the screenshots?

FF support is coming to 1.3, thanks to Augustus who made some ribbons for us.

I've heard that that camera bug goes away after a playing a bit.

From the screenshot of new moon it looks like you're doing gilly based moons and I have to say I like it. Gilly/Minmus style procedural moons are much better in my opinion as they tend to actually look closer to stock planets and have a higher quality as opposed to trying to use textures for vertexmaps which tend to make the land really jagged and low resolution.

We're doing both. Many (older) planet packs use 2K or even 1K resolutions for their various textures, which severely impacts in-game quality. Kopernicus can handle higher resolutions with even less lag than previous plugins did with 1K resolutions. Higher quality textures combined with some other tricks allows us to have vertex map based moons that come very close to what Squad has been offering.

Edited by CaptRobau

Well done on the feature!

This looks amazing! Are the moons included in release yet?

Will this be made compatible with Transfer Window Calculator, ScanSAT and Karbonite (+)?

Will you be putting it up on the CKAN repos?

Will this be made compatible with Transfer Window Calculator, ScanSAT and Karbonite (+)?

No on the moons. There's a changelog you can read, you know?

I've always stayed away from the PlanetFactory packs because of their large RAM consumption... not that my computer couldn't handle it, but Unity just won't run well enough for me under x64.

*peers at number of mods in current install*

With this running on a tweaked Kopernicus, could you guys give me a rough estimate on how much RAM I'd have to set aside if I wanted to install Outer Planets?

I've always stayed away from the PlanetFactory packs because of their large RAM consumption... not that my computer couldn't handle it, but Unity just won't run well enough for me under x64.

With this running on a tweaked Kopernicus, could you guys give me a rough estimate on how much RAM I'd have to set aside if I wanted to install Outer Planets?

Wouldn't it just be faster to download and give it a try?

I'm special and want to build a Real Solar System copy of Kerbal, but with the original kerbal planets (hence using this mod - although it doesn't quite work yet in the current version). Do you know of any particular way I could make this mod work with a real-sized version of the Kerbal system? Ta!

This uses virtually no RAM, but it will once moons are added. I would say you should set aside 150 megabytes to be safe for once moons are released.

YOU GUY(S) ARE FREAKING AWESOME FOR MAKING THIS MOD!!! Sorry for shouting but this is a FANTASTIC mod! I have patiently waited an eternity for a legit Saturn addon to this game, this comes the closest to it. Beautiful work with the RAM-friendliness as well. Makes a journey to Jool look wimpy! I only wish you guys had the moons as well but this is still pretty cool. You mentioned you were working on them - I would like to put in a personal request for Titan (Saturn's moon) to be #1 on the list! That moon would be really cool in KSP, I heard if humans went there they could flap their arms like a bird and fly because of the dense atmosphere, would make an interesting target to land on.

Saturn has several moons (Mimas which looks like the death star, Enceladus), you guys could infinitely update this mod with new moons to land on around Saturn (or "Sarnus" as you guys call it!). Instead of Jool 5 challenge on the forums I sense a Sarnus 7 challenge coming...

I'm so pumped for this, I had a quick peak today and put one of my trusty interstellar ships in orbit for a voyage to Saturn. Thanks for making this. I'm also a game developer myself (I don't do KSP mods though as I like to play this for fun). You guys should open a donation channel (if SQUAD doesn't frown on things like that is otherwise ignore this), I would gladly donate for your time in doing these mods, I would like to see the moons get finished although you guys said you are working on it already. I am going to be checking this mod constantly now for updates!

I would like to put in a personal request for Titan (Saturn's moon) to be #1 on the list!

Agreed; Kerbal Titan would be totally awesome. To have similar landforms to our Titan (see my pic at left), put seas/lakes at the poles and sand dunes around the equator. Low gravity, thick atmosphere. And -- I know this might be hard, but given the atmospheric methane you could make a jet engine work there, but it would run entirely on OXIDIZER, and not need any fuel. Woah.

Oh: and color? Orange!

Let me know if I can help with that in any way ;)

Congrats on being featured in Modding Mondays!
You're featured for Modding Monday! Very nice job, Capt, this really is an awesome planet pack! Now excuse me while I go scream in utter jealousy that my planet pack hasn't been featured yet...

Thank you. It's an honor.

Moons will come in the next release. It's already compatible with Transfer Window. Over time other mods will be supported, but at the moment we're focusing on making the basics work well. I'll looking into putting it into the CKAN repos.

I'm special and want to build a Real Solar System copy of Kerbal, but with the original kerbal planets (hence using this mod - although it doesn't quite work yet in the current version). Do you know of any particular way I could make this mod work with a real-sized version of the Kerbal system? Ta!

Someone made a 6.4x config that works. Shouldn't be to hard to change it from 6.4x into 10x.

YOU GUY(S) ARE FREAKING AWESOME FOR MAKING THIS MOD!!! Sorry for shouting but this is a FANTASTIC mod! I have patiently waited an eternity for a legit Saturn addon to this game, this comes the closest to it. Beautiful work with the RAM-friendliness as well. Makes a journey to Jool look wimpy! I only wish you guys had the moons as well but this is still pretty cool. You mentioned you were working on them - I would like to put in a personal request for Titan (Saturn's moon) to be #1 on the list! That moon would be really cool in KSP, I heard if humans went there they could flap their arms like a bird and fly because of the dense atmosphere, would make an interesting target to land on.

Saturn has several moons (Mimas which looks like the death star, Enceladus), you guys could infinitely update this mod with new moons to land on around Saturn (or "Sarnus" as you guys call it!). Instead of Jool 5 challenge on the forums I sense a Sarnus 7 challenge coming...

I'm so pumped for this, I had a quick peak today and put one of my trusty interstellar ships in orbit for a voyage to Saturn. Thanks for making this. I'm also a game developer myself (I don't do KSP mods though as I like to play this for fun). You guys should open a donation channel (if SQUAD doesn't frown on things like that is otherwise ignore this), I would gladly donate for your time in doing these mods, I would like to see the moons get finished although you guys said you are working on it already. I am going to be checking this mod constantly now for updates!

Agreed; Kerbal Titan would be totally awesome. To have similar landforms to our Titan (see my pic at left), put seas/lakes at the poles and sand dunes around the equator. Low gravity, thick atmosphere. And -- I know this might be hard, but given the atmospheric methane you could make a jet engine work there, but it would run entirely on OXIDIZER, and not need any fuel. Woah.

Oh: and color? Orange!

Let me know if I can help with that in any way ;)

I'll post some info and screens on the new moons that Sarnus will have in the next update today, but I can tell you know that a close Titan analog as you describe it, is not going to be in. Eve/Laythe already cover all the major features of Titan. Thick atmosphere, strange oceans/lakes of who knows what, moon with liquid oceans, etc. We wanted to make something more unique than just a Eve/Laythe combo. That being said, certain aspects of Titan that Eve or Laythe have not yet covered will find their way into some of the three gas giants' moons. But you'll find out about that as this mod develops. We still want to be able to wow you :D

I love it!

However (isn't there always), I have one, very minor, issue. That's with moving Eeloo.

Let me explain:

I'm currently working on a career mode, using a stock solar system (have about 60 other mods installed). I don't want to install this mod until I've mastered the current solar system.

The problem comes when I do the install, Eeloo will be moved thereby either invalidating (in my mind) any missions I did to Eeloo, or (worst case) forcing me to restart a career mode.

Would it be possible to NOT move Eeloo, but have everything else? Maybe instead of moving Eeloo, adding a new planet where you are moving Eeloo to?

Also, I'm trying to only install mods via CKAN. This isn't hurting me right now since I'm not ready for this yet, just a plug for CKAN compatibility.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.