[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Just popping in to fanboy a bit. This is by far my favorite "planetary expansion" mod currently available. It provides new challenges and places to visit yet remains lightweight and stable. Can't wait to see the new moons in the next release.

Seconding the request for Final Frontier planet/ribbon pack.

Keep up the good work!

Love this mod! Can't wait for the Sarnus update!

Clouds will be added at a later date, to any atmosphere planets/moons. The current Titan analog doesn't have an atmosphere as my last few posts have mentioned. Those are reserved for other bodies, but that's future talk. First the Sarnus update.

I could help with the cloud configs for you when the atmosphere bodies are added. I attempted already to give some rotating clouds to the current planets but for some reason the clouds only go down to 0 altitude but that is not 0 altitude for the planets. I wonder if it has something to do with using a template of Jool and rescaling the planets to be small and it still uses the parameters from Jool. I'm not sure though so don't quote me on this. :P

Love this mod! Can't wait for the Sarnus update!

I could help with the cloud configs for you when the atmosphere bodies are added. I attempted already to give some rotating clouds to the current planets but for some reason the clouds only go down to 0 altitude but that is not 0 altitude for the planets. I wonder if it has something to do with using a template of Jool and rescaling the planets to be small and it still uses the parameters from Jool. I'm not sure though so don't quote me on this. :P

Clouds hate resized bodies. I tried adding them to resized gas giants and they didn't work.

Well just arrived at "Sarnus". Tediously long voyage but worth the trip! We're gonna need a faster time warp for some of these planets (I know there are some mods out there for that already I believe). On a side note, I'm surprised so many people are upset with the moving of Eeloo. I like i t's new spot, seems more realistic to me, more like "Pluto" even though it was moreso supposed to be a Europa analog in design I believe. Well this year we will find out what Pluto looks like when New Horizons gets there!

Didn't risk aerobraking but I'm gonna try it on the next orbit, I'm assuming it works... love the scale of the planet, stock KSP definitely has too small of planets, Sarnus is nice and huge, love the rings. Thanks again guys for making this mod. Looking forward to the moons.

2015_01_06_00004.jpg

Hale looks like it will be a neat moon to land on with interesting terrain and fits the stock quality well. Have to say I am a bit disappointed with Ovok though. Making a moon a perfect sphere leads to no interesting terrain and I find it kind of boring. Doesn't draw me in to wanting to land on it as you've already seen what it looks like from space.

Can't wait to see what Slate looks like.

Well I wanted to create a unique orbital feature for Urlum, but since axial tilt isn't possible I went with a retrograde orbit. I've removed that for 1.3, so your thing will no longer be an issue. The retrograde orbit just added too much difficulty because it was on a planetary scale. Retrograde moons are probably doable, but planets...

OK. I think that it would not be too hard because orbital velocity on the planet is about 2000 m/s. I calculated that less than 5000 m/s is enough to some orbit (do not remember) around Urlum, and it was not best window. It is not much worse than Moho.

Is it possible to customize orbits by changing values in that .cfg -file? I would like to try larger inclinations.

There is PlanetShine support, but no support for Astronomer's Pack and the like (yet). Orbital science works fine, but atmospheric science can be a bit buggy.

I've tried adding support for Astronomer's Pack but the current EVE 7.4 doesn't seem to like rescaled bodies and the clouds don't scale with them. I'll ask on the EVE thread if it's possible to do that on 7.4.

OK. I think that it would not be too hard because orbital velocity on the planet is about 2000 m/s. I calculated that less than 5000 m/s is enough to some orbit (do not remember) around Urlum, and it was not best window. It is not much worse than Moho.

Is it possible to customize orbits by changing values in that .cfg -file? I would like to try larger inclinations.

Just change the value inclination to anything between 0 and 359.99999 to try larger inclinations. 180+ means a retrograde orbit.

Just change the value inclination to anything between 0 and 359.99999 to try larger inclinations. 180+ means a retrograde orbit.

Well, anything between 90 and 270 would technically be retrograde. Or 90 and 180, really.

This looks great!

I have to admit though, I'm a little disappointed that we won't have a true to form Titan analogue. I think having a non-oxygenated atmosphere and oceans would be great, and not necessarily reflective of Eve or Laythe. Having to take a trip that lasts a decade to a moon with a thick atmosphere adds something to Sarnus in a way that having 4 moons without an atmosphere does not. That small complaint aside this is gorgeous.

EDIT: Especially considering all the additonal science and play features that an atmosphere brings to the system once you consider mods. Oh well, I can always edit it myself if necessary.

Edited by [email protected]

I've tried adding support for Astronomer's Pack but the current EVE 7.4 doesn't seem to like rescaled bodies and the clouds don't scale with them. I'll ask on the EVE thread if it's possible to do that on 7.4.

There are configs for using astronomers visual pack with 6.4 and 10x rescales - if you are having trouble with it, maybe those will give you a clue :)

Ovok seems a bit like Inaccessible from Krag's PF in its surface conditions and appearance. Both it and Hale should be really interesting, with regards to their proximity to the rings.

Looking forward to these moons! It's probably early to start talking about moons for Urlum, but in real life Uranus has some really interesting moons like Umbriel and Miranda, along with an expansive, complicated and chaotic system of inner shepherd moons.

Edited by Jodo42

This looks great!

I have to admit though, I'm a little disappointed that we won't have a true to form Titan analogue. I think having a non-oxygenated atmosphere and oceans would be great, and not necessarily reflective of Eve or Laythe. Having to take a trip that lasts a decade to a moon with a thick atmosphere adds something to Sarnus in a way that having 4 moons without an atmosphere does not. That small complaint aside this is gorgeous.

EDIT: Especially considering all the additonal science and play features that an atmosphere brings to the system once you consider mods. Oh well, I can always edit it myself if necessary.

There will be moons with atmospheres, just not around Sarnus. In the end I think you won't be disappointed. All gas giants are made interesting, instead of loading everything on Sarnus/Saturn (which has so many famous/major moons).

There will be moons with atmospheres, just not around Sarnus. In the end I think you won't be disappointed. All gas giants are made interesting, instead of loading everything on Sarnus/Saturn (which has so many famous/major moons).

This by far looks like the highest quality planet mod out there. I've thought about it a little more, and I certainly agree with you, I wouldn't want all the systems to have the same characteristics and I definitely want them to be unique.

Let's just say that if Titan had a fan club I'd be in it...which is sort of awkward. :blush:

Ok, looks like a hacky approach to make this mod work with the 10x Kerbal RSS mod has been figured out!

Go to GameData/Kopernicus/Config and delete System.cfg

Replace it with this file

Go to GameData/RealSolarSystem/ and delete RealSolarSystem.cfg

Replace it with this file

No warranty. Mostly untested. Orbital velocities and escape velocities seem to be reasonable, at least for me. I'm not sure what eeloo's behavior is supposed to be in outer planets, but I have it crossing neidon's orbit a bit like it used to with jool's.

There are configs for using astronomers visual pack with 6.4 and 10x rescales - if you are having trouble with it, maybe those will give you a clue :)

So I checked out those configs and they are making the cloud layer radius larger, which is easy to do. For this mod, it requires making the cloud radius smaller than 0 which is not possible AFAIK with 7.4. I'll ask Astronomer and see if he has any idea of how to do this. :P

So I checked out those configs and they are making the cloud layer radius larger, which is easy to do. For this mod, it requires making the cloud radius smaller than 0 which is not possible AFAIK with 7.4. I'll ask Astronomer and see if he has any idea of how to do this. :P

I think i actually saw some negative values for the height of some of the cloud layers *somewhere* while looking at stuff with CTRL+ALT+N. But tbh I have no clue and astronomer is able to provide better help :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.