[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

I'm not positive if this issue is due to the Outer Planets mod, but I figured I'd post it here in case it helps anyone out...

After installing this mod to a pre-existing game, I ran into the "NaN black screen Kraken" error. I had built a probe with plans to send it to Neidon. I burned from Kerbin to intercept Neidon (in 21 years :P) but as soon as my probe left Kerbin's SOI, my screen would go black and my altimeter would sometimes also show NaN. The only way to fix the issue would be to shut down the game completely and revert from an old save. This would happen every time I tried again. The lame thing is that since KSP doesn't actually crash, I didn't have an error report to look over afterwards.

I am running a fair number of mods, so I did some research by uninstalling them one at a time to see if they were causing the issue. I tried it without Kerbal Alarm Clock, ScanSat, and Kerbal Engineer Redux (they seemed like the most likely culprits to me), but each time the issue would still occur.

Then I thought that maybe it was messing with KSP because I was sending the probe so far out. So I then tried reloading the probe and changing it's burn to instead intercept Jool. Strangely, the issue still occurred. I then reverted, deleted the probe, and changed my focus to one of my other ships that I had built and sent towards Jool. These ships were built prior to the problematic probe, but after installing the Outer Planets mod. Sadly, shifting my focus to these ships caused the same error.

So then I got really sad, and sat in my room in the dark to bemoan how unfair it should be that I am the only one who appears to be having this issue.

Then I realized that I couldn't just give up on it; not when there were still things I could try out. After doing some research on the "NaN black screen Kraken" glitch, it seemed like it was usually brought about by mods that modify planet locations/sizes/orbits, specifically when a ship is unexpectedly in the SOI of more than one body... or something.

So I got back on my original, heavily-modded build of KSP and opened up a new game in sandbox mode. I built a big ol' probe and sent it directly to Sarnus. I left the SOI of Kerbin without any issues. I went back and forth between the space center and my ship, time warped, and did everything in my power to try and recreate the error, but luckily everything went fine. 4 in-game years later, my probe was orbiting Sarnus, flying through the rings, and making fly-bys of Hale. It was flippin' glorious!

TL:DR - Installing this mod to an existing save may cause black screen issues. I've since started a fresh game (with a bunch of other mods installed) and have yet to encounter the problem.

I'm not positive if this issue is due to the Outer Planets mod, but I figured I'd post it here in case it helps anyone out...

After installing this mod to a pre-existing game, I ran into the "NaN black screen Kraken" error. I had built a probe with plans to send it to Neidon. I burned from Kerbin to intercept Neidon (in 21 years :P) but as soon as my probe left Kerbin's SOI, my screen would go black and my altimeter would sometimes also show NaN. The only way to fix the issue would be to shut down the game completely and revert from an old save. This would happen every time I tried again. The lame thing is that since KSP doesn't actually crash, I didn't have an error report to look over afterwards.

I am running a fair number of mods, so I did some research by uninstalling them one at a time to see if they were causing the issue. I tried it without Kerbal Alarm Clock, ScanSat, and Kerbal Engineer Redux (they seemed like the most likely culprits to me), but each time the issue would still occur.

Then I thought that maybe it was messing with KSP because I was sending the probe so far out. So I then tried reloading the probe and changing it's burn to instead intercept Jool. Strangely, the issue still occurred. I then reverted, deleted the probe, and changed my focus to one of my other ships that I had built and sent towards Jool. These ships were built prior to the problematic probe, but after installing the Outer Planets mod. Sadly, shifting my focus to these ships caused the same error.

So then I got really sad, and sat in my room in the dark to bemoan how unfair it should be that I am the only one who appears to be having this issue.

Then I realized that I couldn't just give up on it; not when there were still things I could try out. After doing some research on the "NaN black screen Kraken" glitch, it seemed like it was usually brought about by mods that modify planet locations/sizes/orbits, specifically when a ship is unexpectedly in the SOI of more than one body... or something.

So I got back on my original, heavily-modded build of KSP and opened up a new game in sandbox mode. I built a big ol' probe and sent it directly to Sarnus. I left the SOI of Kerbin without any issues. I went back and forth between the space center and my ship, time warped, and did everything in my power to try and recreate the error, but luckily everything went fine. 4 in-game years later, my probe was orbiting Sarnus, flying through the rings, and making fly-bys of Hale. It was flippin' glorious!

TL:DR - Installing this mod to an existing save may cause black screen issues. I've since started a fresh game (with a bunch of other mods installed) and have yet to encounter the problem.

it caused that issue probaly cause this mod moves 1 of the stock planets is why. if it didnt move that planet then it wouldnt cause that issue.

Hi, I have had one, very minor, issue. I've noticed that the ground scatter on Ovok is the same colour regardless of whether the sun is shining on it. On the dark side of the moon, the ground scatter is clearly visible making the surface look like stars.

Also, (I hate to sound picky, so sorry!) could Eeloo and Slate be given a slight inclination relative to Sarnus so that it's beautiful ring system can be seen from the surface?

Edited by hazard-ish

Also, (I hate to sound picky, so sorry!) could Eeloo and Slate be given a slight inclination relative to Sarnus so that it's beautiful ring system can be seen from the surface?

There is file named "System.cfg" in folder "Gamedata/Kopernicus/Config/". You can find orbital parameters there and change them as you wish. It seem to work. In my opinion it is the greatest thing in this mod. Finally I can stop whining that please put some stuff on inclined orbits. :)

There is file named "System.cfg" in folder "Gamedata/Kopernicus/Config/". You can find orbital parameters there and change them as you wish. It seem to work. In my opinion it is the greatest thing in this mod. Finally I can stop whining that please put some stuff on inclined orbits. :)

Awesome, thank you! The more I learn about this mod the more well thought out it seems to be :)

Edited by hazard-ish

hi i'm a new entry in this forum and i'm dont speak(write)very well english,so i have 2 question for the author of this great mod:

1)it's possible to create 2 or 3 comets with long orbits around kerbol? i mean comets with tails not simple asteroids

2) it' possible to CHANGE or edit the planets/moons/ names?

Since this mod is concerned with the outer planets, I don't think that the addition of comets needs to be discussed here. However, it is certainly possible, check out the mod 'alternis kerbol' which adds comets WITH TRAILS to the game. It is a bit outdated but you can at least ask around there.

I don't know about changing the planets/moons names but why do you want to? The current names are all interesting, fit the stock-like theme and have some connection to the real life counterparts.

Dude, "100 % more moons" would mean that you doubled the amount of moons in the addon. You actually increased the number of moons by undefined %.

It depends on the scale. Before was 0% (of some arbitrary scale) moons , now we're at 100% moons, maybe? Except that he stated he plans on adding more, so we're probably at more like 75% moons. :P

Yes it is possible to edit the planets names and orbits, just look in the config file.

But if you edit the names of stock ones, a lot of other parts of the game really don't like it. Maybe they're jealous of the special attention? Who knows, but let sleeping Kraken lie, I say...

CaptRobau, Have you heard of Chariklo? It's a centaur(group of minor planets) that has a ring system and might have a small shepherd moon or moons that keeps the rings from collapsing or flying away. If you wanna read more, look it up on Wikipedia. I think it would be a cool planet for you to do in KSP. Here's some orbit images:

chariklo-orbit.gif

Screen-shot-2014-03-25-at-11.19.20-PM.png

CharikloOrbit.gif

I also have another image that's practically the same as the first image, but the quality is crap. If you wanna see it, here it is:

chariklo-bahn.gif

Edited by TheJewelOfJool

I'll put in the OP that existing saves might have issues

Regarding the different texture choices: What kind of texture quality does stock KSP ship for its planets? I know that I once played a save with 4K replacement textures, and they made the planets look a lot sharper, so they're 2K or 1K. But which is it?

After some digging I found out that Kerbin was 4K, Ike was 2K and Duna was only 1K. Those are only the color maps though though. Judging by the quality of how the stock planets look I think the normal maps might be bigger.

Hi, I have had one, very minor, issue. I've noticed that the ground scatter on Ovok is the same colour regardless of whether the sun is shining on it. On the dark side of the moon, the ground scatter is clearly visible making the surface look like stars.

I recall that being a thing on stock planets and moons. If I remember that correctly I doubt I can do anything about it.

Awesome, thank you! The more I learn about this mod the more well thought out it seems to be :)

Thanks.

@TheJewelOfJool

I know of Chariklo. Maybe something for after all the gas giants get a decent amount of moons.

Are moons for Urlum planned next? Also, I agree with Hazard-ish. If Eeloo or Slate(Or both) had their orbits tilted, they would provide great views of Sarnus' rings.

(PS: Sorry for all the questions. Just curious.)

Edited by TheJewelOfJool

Noticed a possible issue here; when I try to speed the game up to max warp it works but lags a LOT. When I return to normal all my objects blow up (catastrophic failure).

Any idea whats going on here?

Could you list what mods you are currently running?

Could you list what mods you are currently running?

Sure:

Outer Planets Mod

Astronomers Pack

EVE

Planetshine

Near Future Propulsion

Chatterer

Texture Replacer

Kustom Kerbals

Deadly Reentry

TAC Life Support

OKS/MKS

And AFT on Aggressive. Running this on 32bit version of the game of course, with OpenGL on the shortcut.

Tried this mod, but I already had so many installed that the game kept encountering the 32 bit max memory limit... Already have aggressive active texture management installed. Is there anything I can do to make this work(without uninstalling everything, that is. Already tried uninstalling the non-essential mods, and this one still tips it over the memory limit)? And dare I ask if I could/should attempt 64 bit with all these mods?

Tried this mod, but I already had so many installed that the game kept encountering the 32 bit max memory limit... Already have aggressive active texture management installed. Is there anything I can do to make this work(without uninstalling everything, that is. Already tried uninstalling the non-essential mods, and this one still tips it over the memory limit)? And dare I ask if I could/should attempt 64 bit with all these mods?

Are you using the lower resolutions I posted a page or two ago?

Sure:

Outer Planets Mod

Astronomers Pack

EVE

Planetshine

Near Future Propulsion

Chatterer

Texture Replacer

Kustom Kerbals

Deadly Reentry

TAC Life Support

OKS/MKS

And AFT on Aggressive. Running this on 32bit version of the game of course, with OpenGL on the shortcut.

Also the 7 seater HCV cockpit mod; forgot to add.

Anyways, anybody know whats up with it?

Also the 7 seater HCV cockpit mod; forgot to add.

Anyways, anybody know whats up with it?

The only thing that I can think of is RSS. Occasionally when I play on RSS 64K I get the same issue which would suggest our mod is not responsible.

Is it all spacecraft spontaneously exploding? or is it only certain types with certain types of parts? I can't use solar panels placed on girders because the physics freaks out when I also use RSS. Its a frustrating bug because space station solar arrays look the best in that format :/

This is all anecdotal evidence so there's nothing really concrete I can offer to help you. I'm not really a coder guy so I don't really know what's going on behind the scenes on these mods.

From the OP:

OPM now has a time warp tweak that changes the time warp rates. It now goes x1, x10, x100, x10000, x100000 and finally x1000000. This should help make interplanetary travel go a little faster and also helps in close orbits around atmosphereless bodies (as x5 became x10, 10x became x100 and x50 became x1000). If you don't want this feature, go to RealSolarSystem, open RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg with Notepad, delete the 'timeWarpRates' block and save the file.

It depends on the scale. Before was 0% (of some arbitrary scale) moons , now we're at 100% moons, maybe? Except that he stated he plans on adding more, so we're probably at more like 75% moons. :P

No, it's specifically 100 % more moons, which means a doubling in the number of moons. Otherwise, he would have written percentage points instead. Not that it's a huge problem, it's just a title, but it's a common misconception.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.