[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Textures are all there in the download, just not in max resolution, which should not impair function. The issue is more specific than that...

@jlcarneiro Erm, I think i might have reproduced the same issue as you with one of my installs. Describe what the RSS loading screen does, specifically if it goes through all the planets, or if it skips all the new ones. It might be a linux issue after all.

Added some auroras to the planets and a small glow to Slate.

Here's the config if anyone wants to try it out. It requires EVE and Astronomer's Interstellar pack.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82sz43jk6ylqjeg/13%20Astronomer%27s%20Outer%20Planets.cfg?dl=0

Thanks for the config it looks absolutely amazing! Landed on Ovok today and watched the clouds around Sarnus pass by for a few minutes. Just WOW!

Since I updated to OPM 1.4 I don't see clouds around Urlum or Neidon anymore. Can anyone confirm this or have I broken my install?

Thanks for the config it looks absolutely amazing! Landed on Ovok today and watched the clouds around Sarnus pass by for a few minutes. Just WOW!

Since I updated to OPM 1.4 I don't see clouds around Urlum or Neidon anymore. Can anyone confirm this or have I broken my install?

Hmm, I can't confirm that because the planets aren't even showing up for me with 1.4. Anyone know why the planets are not showing up at all?

Oh that is very interesting! Another one... I am trying to get behind this for 2 hours now ._.

Tygoo, are you using linux by any chance?

Did you compress anything into .dds after installing 1.4?

Did you overwrite 1.3 with 1.4, or did you delete and reinstall?

And what does your RSS loader look like, specifically, does it "skip" all the new planets?

Sorry for the many questions, but I am trying to nail this down and it proves to be elusive...

Edit: what about TextureReplacer? If yes, what textures are getting modified? I think this might be a lead...

Edit2: Yes, TextureReplacer. And dds conversion of biome maps (maybe), but after that, Texture Replacer. Something about it, I am going to guess Gilly, Minmus, Tylo or Eeloo texture replacements.

Edited by Tellion

Huh, also with the latest unofficial version here, look at that :3

Its not the bodies, I just tested that. But Texture Replacer has a texture unloading "feature" and I can see why this might make Kopernicus very sad.

For me, its gone when removing Texture Replacer, so that is a partial solution. Now I only want to know how to keep both TextureReplacer and OPM ;)

I have tried this mod, both in the 32bit, and 64bit KSP .90. Both with, and without any other mods installed, i.e. a clean fresh install of KSP and one with other mods already installed. I have tried every way I can think of, and regardless of my approach, this mod crashes my game. This is especially true after a clean landing on kerbin, and then clicking to retrieve the capsule.

I have a good pc, and ill post the specs below. Mod looks like a great one, but I apparently can't use it for some reason. Also, I'm posting the top of the error report created for the crash if it is of any use. If you have any suggestions, and I haven't tried them, I'm willing to try. Otherwise, I still say this mod looks great. Thanks.

Error: Unity Player [version: Unity 4.5.5f1_7684ad0c5a44]

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module mono.dll at 0023:1011926a.

Error occurred at 2015-01-17_153612.

F:\GameInstalls\KSP64bt\KSP.exe, run by Area51.

43% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [111 MB free].

Write to location 00200000 caused an access violation.

PC Specs:

Processor:Intel i7-4820 Quad Core/Hyper-thread 3.7Ghz-3.9Ghz(auto overclock/boost).

RAM:16Gig 1600 Mhz.

VideoCard:Nvidia GTX 780 3 Gig.

HardDrive:Solid State 256 Gig(+3 1 Tb drives for back-up).

SoundBlaster Recon Sound Card.

NIC Wired/Wireless Card.

Liquid Cooling.

Ok. I'm at home, starting the tests:

1. deleted OPM and TR worked just fine;
  2. reinstalled OPM (there's a ".svn" folder in each body in /OPM/Ribbons - should they be there?), the RSS loader is very fast but seems to pass through all bodies, OPM didn't work, though;
  3. I quit KSP, deleted TR and started it again. RSS loader is still very fast, but SEEMED to take a little longer, OPM worked fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I've reinstalled "official" TR from scratch and BOTH MODS worked! :)

Then I started reinstalling part of my custom textures (heads, suits and envmap) and OPM stopped working.

I'm still testing...

Edited by jlcarneiro

@DevilDog

This is a memory intensive mod, though you can try low res textures. Sadly, if you use KSP 32bit, the best system wont help you much, and if you use KSP 64bit, the best system wont help you much either. Welcome to unity 4. What might work is 32bit with aggressive texture compression (though a few mods, this one possibly among them do not like that) or, and that I can heartily recommend, Linux 64bit.

@Everyone with planets not appearing, in my case the issue was with TextureReplacer, so if you have that installed, and this mod does not add any planets for an inexplicable reason, this might be important to get it working.

Replace the section regarding texture unloading in the @Default.cfg file in GameData/TextureReplacer with this:

// Prevent unloading for textures whose paths match the following regular  // expressions. Some mods access and modify textures, so those shouldn't be
// unloaded.
// The list must be space- and/or comma-separated and in one line.
// Duplicated lists are joined.
keepLoaded = ^BoulderCo/(Clouds|Atmosphere)/ ^CommunityResourcePack/
keepLoaded = ^CustomBiomes/PluginData/CustomBiomes/ ^Romfarer/textures/
keepLoaded = ^WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/
keepLoaded = ^Kopernicus/Textures/
keepLoaded = ^KittopiaSpace/Textures/

Thats what it should look like. Having done that, RSS should properly load up all planets.

Oh that is very interesting! Another one... I am trying to get behind this for 2 hours now ._.

Tygoo, are you using linux by any chance?

Did you compress anything into .dds after installing 1.4?

Did you overwrite 1.3 with 1.4, or did you delete and reinstall?

And what does your RSS loader look like, specifically, does it "skip" all the new planets?

Sorry for the many questions, but I am trying to nail this down and it proves to be elusive...

Edit: what about TextureReplacer? If yes, what textures are getting modified? I think this might be a lead...

Edit2: Yes, TextureReplacer. And dds conversion of biome maps (maybe), but after that, Texture Replacer. Something about it, I am going to guess Gilly, Minmus, Tylo or Eeloo texture replacements.

I am using Windows 8.1.

Nope.

Delete and reinstall.

Looks like it skips the planets because it goes so fast.

Yes I have TextureReplacer but I do not have any textures replacing the planets. Just the Kerbals and skybox.

I can confirm this, I'll check out what's going on.

I think I found the issue, try what solved it for me.

Yep that worked!

EDIT: Here's an updated cloud config. https://www.dropbox.com/s/82sz43jk6ylqjeg/13%20Astronomer%27s%20Outer%20Planets.cfg?dl=0

Edited by tygoo7

@DevilDog

This is a memory intensive mod, though you can try low res textures. Sadly, if you use KSP 32bit, the best system wont help you much, and if you use KSP 64bit, the best system wont help you much either. Welcome to unity 4. What might work is 32bit with aggressive texture compression (though a few mods, this one possibly among them do not like that) or, and that I can heartily recommend, Linux 64bit.

@Everyone with planets not appearing, in my case the issue was with TextureReplacer, so if you have that installed, and this mod does not add any planets for an inexplicable reason, this might be important to get it working.

Replace the section regarding texture unloading in the @Default.cfg file in GameData/TextureReplacer with this:

// Prevent unloading for textures whose paths match the following regular  // expressions. Some mods access and modify textures, so those shouldn't be
// unloaded.

Thats what it should look like. Having done that, RSS should properly load up all planets.

It's alive! It's ALIVE!

Thanks, Tellion!

Hello!

First, awesome stuff!

Didn't try 1,4 yet. But I have a bug or incompatibility to report for v1.3, it was with Tellion 6.4x patch. Its hard to diagnostic since it doesn't crash the game, it froze it. So I can't produce a crash report or anything. But it seem to be related to science and contract.

I was previously running OPM v1.2 with nebuchadnezzar 6.4x hotfix (see #113) and it was working fine. I then installed 1.3 with Tellion 6.4x patch. Started a new game in sandbox to see if it was all good. Everything was looking fine ( I was very exited, It realy looked awesome!) So I opened my carrier save to see if it would work, and it did, at start. The first game freeze happened when I refused a contract to generate an new one. I restarted the game and tried again to see if was a random bug or not. I could reproduce the crash, every 5-10 contract cancelation, the game would freeze. At first, I atributed that bug to one of the contract mod I have. (I updated Mission Controler 2 and Contract window few days ago)

Tryed without MC2, bug still there. Without CW, same thing. Without both, same. Edited my save to remove contract related stuff and it didn't work. At that point I was convinced it my save was just corrupted or something. So I started a new one and decided to not refresh contract at all, its a bit cheaty anyway. But it happened again, this time while I was in flight. At that point, I figured out that it might not be contract mod at all. I so removed OPM and Kopernicus, and now it work. I think that KSP attempt to create contract and crash because of the new planet/biome, or something like that.

Any one else have a this bug? Anyway, I will try 1.4 a bit later. If you would like more information, let me know.

(Thanks allot for the 6.4x support Tellion. I realy like that mod and I just can't imagine playing stock scale.)

Edited by RedParadize

@DevilDog

// unloaded.

I realize this is a memory-intense mod. I am assuming you are saying:

1. it needs to be the sole mod, or risk being memory-starved thus causing a crash.

2. I might be able to use the texture compression, which I have downloaded but not installed yet, in the 32bt KSP then it might work.

3. You state " if you use KSP 32bit, the best system wont help you much, and if you use KSP 64bit, the best system wont help you much either. Welcome to unity 4." I am assuming by that you mean, the 32bit would only have a chance at running this mod with texture compression due to the limit on a 32bit program's ability to use only 4gigs(approximately)? Also, that the 64bit is not going to allow the full use of my ram?

4. I have attempted to use this mod, as mentioned in my original post, I have tried 1. on 32bit ksp on a clean install. On 64 bit clean install. No other mods installed. Are you saying that in an install of this mod, in a 32bit clean install(no other mods) that this mod still requires texture compression to be used for it to work properly? Further, are you saying that in a 64bit install it would max my 16gigs(approximately 10-11 gigs free after OS deduction and basic resource/start-up programs)?

Please expound, as I am not computer programmer, but I have been building pc's for some time and your response leaves much to question for me.

Thanks.

Edit: You also state "What might work is 32bit with aggressive texture compression (though a few mods, this one possibly among them do not like that)..." Are you saying that even with no other mods, this program may or may not work, it's hit or miss, in a clean 32bit install of KSP, if I used texture compression?

Edited by DevilDog0311

Hey Tygoo - I hate to sound like a total noob here, but where do I put the updated cloud config? Do I need to rename it at all? I have EVE and AVP (Oblivion pack) installed.

You put it in the clouds folder in BoulderCo. You don't need to rename it. Oh and btw the config won't work with Oblivion because it requires Interstellar pack because it uses it's textures. :)

@CaptRobau Do you think (this is just a question and I'd like to hear your opinion on it) it would be possible to have the next update seperated a wee bit more like you did with 1.4 to where, the KerbalStuff/CurseForge files come with the guts of OPM, and then the low res, medium res, and high res textures come seperate as well?

I'm just asking if this would be possible, because along side playing on a potato, I'm also using a potato for a modem (56 kb/s) and it taskes about 6 minutes to download the mod (it is still downloading at the time of this posting). I downloaded the lowres textures in about 3 seconds because it was only 102 kb.

Why are you using a 56 Kb/s modem in this day and age? I'm not going to split up the textures from the main download as that would just lead to thousands of question of why the planets aren't loading correctly. I'll put a separate download without the textures somewhere in the OP though from now on, for people like you though.

@DevilDog

// unloaded.

Thanks for making the fix. With the standard medium textures the mod is not memory intensive at all. Only with the high-res textures will KSP's RAM use increase with 100s of MBs.

1. it needs to be the sole mod, or risk being memory-starved thus causing a crash.

2. I might be able to use the texture compression, which I have downloaded but not installed yet, in the 32bt KSP then it might work.

3. You state " if you use KSP 32bit, the best system wont help you much, and if you use KSP 64bit, the best system wont help you much either. Welcome to unity 4." I am assuming by that you mean, the 32bit would only have a chance at running this mod with texture compression due to the limit on a 32bit program's ability to use only 4gigs(approximately)? Also, that the 64bit is not going to allow the full use of my ram?

4. I have attempted to use this mod, as mentioned in my original post, I have tried 1. on 32bit ksp on a clean install. On 64 bit clean install. No other mods installed. Are you saying that in an install of this mod, in a 32bit clean install(no other mods) that this mod still requires texture compression to be used for it to work properly? Further, are you saying that in a 64bit install it would max my 16gigs(approximately 10-11 gigs free after OS deduction and basic resource/start-up programs)?

Please expound, as I am not computer programmer, but I have been building pc's for some time and your response leaves much to question for me.

Thanks.

Edit: You also state "What might work is 32bit with aggressive texture compression (though a few mods, this one possibly among them do not like that)..." Are you saying that even with no other mods, this program may or may not work, it's hit or miss, in a clean 32bit install of KSP, if I used texture compression?

With your computer it should not need texture compression to even work. It's better than mine and I can run it with the high-res textures.

Fixed it for me :) Thanks for the quick update.

I have tried this mod, both in the 32bit, and 64bit KSP .90. Both with, and without any other mods installed, i.e. a clean fresh install of KSP and one with other mods already installed. I have tried every way I can think of, and regardless of my approach, this mod crashes my game. This is especially true after a clean landing on kerbin, and then clicking to retrieve the capsule.

I have a good pc, and ill post the specs below. Mod looks like a great one, but I apparently can't use it for some reason. Also, I'm posting the top of the error report created for the crash if it is of any use. If you have any suggestions, and I haven't tried them, I'm willing to try. Otherwise, I still say this mod looks great. Thanks.

Error: Unity Player [version: Unity 4.5.5f1_7684ad0c5a44]

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module mono.dll at 0023:1011926a.

Error occurred at 2015-01-17_153612.

F:\GameInstalls\KSP64bt\KSP.exe, run by Area51.

43% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [111 MB free].

Write to location 00200000 caused an access violation.

PC Specs:

Processor:Intel i7-4820 Quad Core/Hyper-thread 3.7Ghz-3.9Ghz(auto overclock/boost).

RAM:16Gig 1600 Mhz.

VideoCard:Nvidia GTX 780 3 Gig.

HardDrive:Solid State 256 Gig(+3 1 Tb drives for back-up).

SoundBlaster Recon Sound Card.

NIC Wired/Wireless Card.

Liquid Cooling.

Have you tried running it with OpenGL? When I first tried OPM, EVE and Astronomers Pack in KSP x86 I ran out of RAM even with aggressive ATM after a few minutes in game. With OpenGL I can play OPM with highres-textures and Astronomers Pack with high/mediumres textures without ATM.

Didn't try 1,4 yet. But I have a bug or incompatibility to report for v1.3, it was with Tellion 6.4x patch. Its hard to diagnostic since it doesn't crash the game, it froze it. So I can't produce a crash report or anything. But it seem to be related to science and contract.

The first game freeze happened when I refused a contract to generate an new one. I restarted the game and tried again to see if was a random bug or not. I could reproduce the crash, every 5-10 contract cancelation, the game would freeze. At first, I atributed that bug to one of the contract mod I have. (I updated Mission Controler 2 and Contract window few days ago)

Tryed without MC2, bug still there. Without CW, same thing. Without both, same. Edited my save to remove contract related stuff and it didn't work. At that point I was convinced it my save was just corrupted or something. So I started a new one and decided to not refresh contract at all, its a bit cheaty anyway. But it happened again, this time while I was in flight. At that point, I figured out that it might not be contract mod at all. I so removed OPM and Kopernicus, and now it work. I think that KSP attempt to create contract and crash because of the new planet/biome, or something like that.

Hm... when did you download the config files? Because the old download link (also) leads to the new patch (the one for OPM 1.4), so maybe the issue lies there.

I just tested it on 1.4 and fail to reproduce contract weirdness or crashes, the things modifying contracts in my install being contract configurator as well as scansat/RT packs.

Try it again with OPM 1.4, if you can reproduce it reliably, I will need some logs, but I cannot promise anything. Usually, things that freeze the game throw errors before the game itself gets unresponsive.

1.It should not require to be the sole mod, but you dont have much to work with in windows 32bit to begin with.

2.Yes, try that. ATM's efficiency is unparalleled, so that is one of the few things I can imagine helping you.

3.Using 32bit Ksp, you get a stable client which crashes upon reaching 3-3.5GB, using 64bit you do not even get a stable client (though you might make it over 3.5GB, yay!)

Also the RealSolarSystem plugin is disabled on the 64bit win ksp version I think.

4.You are right in that it is strange to happen without any other mods installed, but looking at my experience with playing KSP on windows I cannot say it is impossible. Now, I am not that great at reading logfiles myself, but this does look like a memory issue to me, so yes, try ATM.

5.64bit windows is highly unstable, but 64bit linux is not - that means yes, if you played there, memory would not be the limiting factor. For me, it is CPU and graphics card performance now, but I run a gazillion of mods and my pc is not the best.

Oh, and Eleusis La Arwall suggested opengl mode, that is a very good suggestion. In fact, the only way I ever got KSP loading at all on windows in the last few months was with that option.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.