[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Would people be interested if I put a MM config in the next update that changes the range of the longest range antennas in RemoteTech and AntennaRange to something that works for the mod's larger distances? Maybe integration of the cloud mods too?

due to the distance the cone would have to be changed also. so have a .cfg but it be a differnt part but use the rt textrues for the dish that way can keep the orignal rt dish and have a longer range dish. the 350gm rt dish think is like .1 or so cone

Hey guys,

I know that tygoo7 has already done a cloud .cfg for these planets, but I was already working on my own because I wanted to add the atmospheric scattering to these great worlds. I'm not trying to step on tygoo7 in any way, I'm simply offering my own alternative to include the atmospheres. It's a work in progress at the moment, but if people will be interested in these then I will upload the .cfg when I'm done. It's to work with Astronomer's fantastic Interstellar. I'm sure he'll do his own pack for these worlds eventually, but in the mean time I'm creating my own through his Interstellar mod.

So far I have done Neidon's atmosphere and I now just need to tweak the clouds and place the auroras. Here is my work so far:

http://i.imgur.com/UtQ0DE4l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fos5uDol.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kUIur6Ul.jpg

I would definitly like to try your config. Any chance someone puts a config for Astronomers Edge of Oblivion pack together?

Would people be interested if I put a MM config in the next update that changes the range of the longest range antennas in RemoteTech and AntennaRange to something that works for the mod's larger distances? Maybe integration of the cloud mods too?

By "integration of the clouds mods" you mean to integrate EVE completely or just put in a config like PlanetShine? I would prefere an optional config because EVE just needs so much RAM.

By "integration of the clouds mods" you mean to integrate EVE completely or just put in a config like PlanetShine? I would prefere an optional config because EVE just needs so much RAM.

Optional of course. If you don't have EVE installed it wouldn't do anything.

due to the distance the cone would have to be changed also. so have a .cfg but it be a differnt part but use the rt textrues for the dish that way can keep the orignal rt dish and have a longer range dish. the 350gm rt dish think is like .1 or so cone

I think I have a config somewhere that I used in 0.25 for the planet packs.

and the cone becomes smaller as te range becomes bigger. The 350Gm has a 0.006 cone

Amazing. If you have spare time to help with an upcoming moon, PM me.

Of course! I see tygoo7 is interested, too. I'm happy to fit in where ever I'm needed.

I use RT and didn't even think of this!! Definately a must!

I would definitly like to try your config. Any chance someone puts a config for Astronomers Edge of Oblivion pack together? *SNIP*

I will certainly have a look to see what conversions are needed. Should be quite simple... he says, knowing that these sort of things rarely are 'simple'

Edit: Actually, tygoo7, I can understand why Atronomer might have left out the atmosphere of Jool in this pack. I'll have a look at the Jool in the Oblivion pack tonight, but the transition through the top level of the atmophere isn't actually that pretty. When above or in the atmosphere, it looks amazing. But for a few kilometers it can be a little... immersion breaking. I've spent hours trying to blend it out, but not had any success. It seems to be a scaling issue (Unity, KSP, EVE, whatever) with the larger planets. The only work-around I've had so far that works is to remove the 'depth' from the atmosphere. Although the planet's atmosphere still looks just as good from orbit, the sky is black when viewed from the 'surface' of the world (as if standing on an airless body). This workaround is OK as long as you never plan on decending through the atmospheres of the gas giants. But I certainly plan on dropping probes through the clouds, so I personally want to see the atmosphere haze when descending. If this was the case with the Jool on Oblivion pack then I can understand why it was left out in Interstellar.

Edited by Akinesis

I think I have a config somewhere that I used in 0.25 for the planet packs.

and the cone becomes smaller as te range becomes bigger. The 350Gm has a 0.006 cone

I've found my config that I used in 0.25. I modified the range to 800Gm, energy, angle, entrycost, and cost (in VAB). Also gave it a new name, desc, and manufacturer.

This config can also be used for the other planet packs that support Kopernicus.

You can download it here.

If I double the range, should the cone then be half or what's the ratio?

I should take 0.003

Edited by Olympic1

I will certainly have a look to see what conversions are needed. Should be quite simple... he says, knowing that these sort of things rarely are 'simple'

Edit: Actually, tygoo7, I can understand why Atronomer might have left out the atmosphere of Jool in this pack. I'll have a look at the Jool in the Oblivion pack tonight, but the transition through the top level of the atmophere isn't actually that pretty. When above or in the atmosphere, it looks amazing. But for a few kilometers it can be a little... immersion breaking. I've spent hours trying to blend it out, but not had any success. It seems to be a scaling issue (Unity, KSP, EVE, whatever) with the larger planets. The only work-around I've had so far that works is to remove the 'depth' from the atmosphere. Although the planet's atmosphere still looks just as good from orbit, the sky is black when viewed from the 'surface' of the world (as if standing on an airless body). This workaround is OK as long as you never plan on decending through the atmospheres of the gas giants. But I certainly plan on dropping probes through the clouds, so I personally want to see the atmosphere haze when descending. If this was the case with the Jool on Oblivion pack then I can understand why it was left out in Interstellar.

I tried updating my Astronomer's to Interstellar, but ran into issues so I'm sticking with Oblivion for now. That said, I would be interested in an Oblivion OPM config, even if it doesn't look right from the "surface" of the gas giants... my probe missions into the lower atmosphere of Jool always end in tears anyway :)

- - - Updated - - -

@lancejammer

What texture replacer did should not cause krakens, it would rather prevent any outer planets from getting set up at all.

That you had the issue without this mod also suggests a different cause to it, so it would be best to follow the usual troubleshooting procedure - that is, find out what will reliably reproduce it, then subtract mods until that specific situation does not occur again. That is kind of annoying, but I bet krakens are as well ._. Also, check your logs for any specific mods mentioned.

Yeah, I totally agree that since I could recreate the issue without OPM, it's probably not related. I did some more testing, and am posting it here since it sounds like others may have similar issues, regardless of whether it's OPM's fault or not.

Short answer... I think it's due to Kerbal Engineer Redux. I ran into the black-screen issue again last night, while sending a probe out to Duna. It would occur after the probe had left Kerbin's SOI, pretty much whenever I would go to the space center and then go back out to focus on the probe. I un-installed KER, and have yet to encounter the problem.

The only problem with my testing is that my probe had a KER chipset on the ship, so I couldn't "perfectly" recreate the scenario with/without KER installed. I had to revert to a save from before launching the probe, modify the probe in the VAB by taking the chipset off, and then uninstall KER and relaunch the mission. So yeah... it's strong proof that KER is to blame, but not perfect :P

Third issue of my mega-post:

Does anyone else have the issue of Minmus having different biomes now? It seems to just be flats, craters, rises, and I think that's it. I used scansat to map it, and the biomes don't line up with the altimetry at all. My guess is that since Minmus is the "base planet" for one of the new moons in OPM, that the biomes are getting switched/over-written somehow. Anyone else?

Edited by lancejammer
Remembered a 3rd thing at the last minute

Third issue of my mega-post:

Does anyone else have the issue of Minmus having different biomes now? It seems to just be flats, craters, rises, and I think that's it. I used scansat to map it, and the biomes don't line up with the altimetry at all. My guess is that since Minmus is the "base planet" for one of the new moons in OPM, that the biomes are getting switched/over-written somehow. Anyone else?

That completely slipped by us during testing. It seems to be the case for all the new moons (Hale-Gilly, Ovok-Minmus and Slate-Tylo). I'll try to get it fixed, as I doubt the dev of Kopernicus intended that.

Uhoh -- I tried upgrading to 1.4 but now the whole outer solar system's gone missing. I tried deleting all of the relevant folders, then reinstalling, as suggested in the OP, but Sarnus is still missing. Any idea how I can get it back? Thanks in advance ;)

Update: Here's what Debug says:

[Exception]: UnityException: Texture 'Kopernicus/Textures/Hale_biome' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.

I checked and the file at least exists under the Kopernicus folder. Any idea why it isn't readable?

Update 2: Downgraded to 1.3 -- works fine.

Edited by Jasonden

Well, your just in luck. I wanted a cloud config for Sarnus as well, based on the Oblivion pack. I think this is pretty good, if I do say so myself. :)

Ironically, it makes Sarnus look alot like Jupiter, but.. that's not a terrible thing, in my opinion. Sarnus shouldn't be completely like Saturn, after all.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8rtoa8y5f9tdyc/Clouds-Sarnus.cfg?dl=0

Try not to get vertigo on the way down! Some of those clouds go really fast! :P

Well, your just in luck. I wanted a cloud config for Sarnus as well, based on the Oblivion pack. I think this is pretty good, if I do say so myself. :)

Ironically, it makes Sarnus look alot like Jupiter, but.. that's not a terrible thing, in my opinion. Sarnus shouldn't be completely like Saturn, after all.

http://imgur.com/a/QBAle

looks very cool

Uhoh -- I tried upgrading to 1.4 but now the whole outer solar system's gone missing. I tried deleting all of the relevant folders, then reinstalling, as suggested in the OP, but Sarnus is still missing. Any idea how I can get it back? Thanks in advance ;)

Do you have a TextureReplacer lower than version 2.21 installed?

So, I've been thinking of you reasoning for the design of Slate. I really like NovaSilisko's Fonso. To preserve Slate's uniqueness and still incorporate elements of Fonso, you could make the moon have a dense atmosphere (with mountains reaching into the vacuum), but no seas or lakes.

I have a random suggestion regarding Ovok.

It's intended to be special in its super smoothness, but I've seen some posters say that it doesn't feel special to them, just boring. Okay, fair enough, not everyone likes everything. But what if there was an additional feature besides the smoothness that would make people stop and take notice? The moon could be... ellipsoid.

In real life, one of Saturn's many minor satellites is named Methone. It is characterized by, to quote, "a remarkably smooth surface, with no visible craters". Sounds familiar? ;) I'm willing to bet that Ovok is based off of Methone to a large degree, there's just so many similarities. However, the same Cassini observation also revealed the moon to be "egg-shaped".

This is not entirely unusual for small moons and planetoids. Here's an artist's impression of the dwarf planet Haumea, which is also quite far from being a well-rounded individual. (hyuk hyuk hyuk) Another of Saturn's moons, Hyperion, is also exceptionally un-round, though it looks more like a giant sponge or pumice piece than Methone's super-smoothness.

The oval shape could be done using smoothly rising surface elevation above the sea level at opposite ends, and accompanying dips below surface level at the sides. You can keep all other features - the biomes, the textures, orbital parameters and so on. But doing this little trick with elevation could turn this moon into a real looker that causes people to take a doubletake and spin it around in map view like an EVE Online spaceship. :P

(And for what it's worth... the word "Ovok" even looks related to the word "oval" ;))

Edited by Streetwind

Sweet, thanks!! Can't wait to get off work and try it out :)

Thanks for the config! Just made a second install for this with Edge of Oblivion and it looks great. The glow around Sarnus (picture) is really amazing! The white top-layers are a bit too dense to my liking but thats just a minor thing. I hope to see more of this :)

9wW8Tpz.jpg

I have a random suggestion regarding Ovok.

It's intended to be special in its super smoothness, but I've seen some posters say that it doesn't feel special to them, just boring. Okay, fair enough, not everyone likes everything. But what if there was an additional feature besides the smoothness that would make people stop and take notice? The moon could be... ellipsoid.

We tried that, but couldn't get it to work. So we settled for just a smooth surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.