[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

This is the best KT mod ever.

Tekto's gravity needs to be higher, though. Right now I can LAND AN ENTIRE FREAKING WARPSHIP with ease and take off with it.

Thanks. The gravity is low, but we wanted to make it very much like Titan. On Titan a person can lift off by flapping wings attached to his arms. So it's doing exactly what it needs to do. It means that it won't be much of a challenge to land or lift off from the planet, but that's compensated by being around Sarnus which takes quite a lot of effort to get to (and to keep powered).

The new update looks amazing; looking forward to trying it out!

I don't suppose there are any AVP configs for those of us still using Edge of Oblivion?

Or a BA config that actually works....

The AVP configs are far from done. Improvement, fixes, etc. will be made as we fine-tune it. Just give us as much feedback as possible and I'm sure we can get stuff to work properly for everyone.

I myself know very little about the mod, but Akinesis and Eudae55 do. They'll have to answer if an Edge of Oblivion compatible version is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to get clouds without installing AVP, just EVE?

Not at the moment or at least not easily, as we're using the textures that come with AVP. We've been thinking about making textures of our own so there's no dependencies and they can be used by EVE and AVP users alike, but it remains to be seen how well those turn out.

Oh. too bad. I'll still use the mod, though.

I can come up with some made-up science-y reason why there are no clouds. Like all the liquid on the surface is too cold to create clouds, or something like that. Is that liquid on Tekto?

Edited by xXIndestructibleEVAXx

To all, the water on Tekto was intended to be and look darker and be some sort of hydrocarbon (one that's not organic in origin of course). We didn't get a working custom ocean texture replacement working in time for release. Hopefully we can get that working in a future update. I thought it'd be useful to know for those who were wondering why there was liquid water on Tekto and not something more exotic like Titan's liquid methane. Other stuff we want to do in the next major update are further improvement to Tekto, moving to a more modular system that is compatible with other Kopernicus mods (we couldn't get it to work perfectly before release, so we postponed it) and of course moons for Urlum.

Congratulations on yet another stunning release!

Taking a quick look at the regolith configs, is it intended that water is getting added to the atmospheres of the gas giants? Because short of Interstellar, there wont be any engines able to compensate the drag losses, and with Interstellar it is still going to be painful gameplay wise.

Using interplanetary resource bands at a low altitude (in space *just* above the atmospheres) seems like a more accessible choice for ISRU around the outer planets.

Which textures here are comparable with the DDS converter and loader? Can I convert the ones outside the Kopernicus directory? As it stands the mod won't even load if I run it through the DDS converter. This was likely the problem I had last time, since DDS loader not only NOT on the incompatible mod list, it was actually included.

I'm not sure what you mean. In 1.4 we used to load only the planet/moon textures using DDSLoader. In 1.5 we switched from RSS to KittopiaTech for loading the terrain and the latter doesn't support DDS yet. So we went back to PNG for the planet/moon textures.

There's a converter for converting all textures to DDS, which can then be loaded with the DDS loader.

This typically works with all mods not hard coded to only load the textures they were developed for (png, etc).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672

running OPM through this converter causes it to not load. I assume because Kopernicus won't accept DDS files.

What I'm curious to know is if the other files, not in the kopernicus directory, can be dds files, of if they need to remain png.

I can run some tests on my own in time, but I have a stream to start. :)

Fantastic! After what you said previously, I was pretty certain that we were not going to see a Titan analogue in regards to its atmosphere and gravity so this was a nice surprise to see when I got home today! I have to say, I am not a fan of how dark the oceans seem compared to the terrain of Tekto, especially without any of the visual mods - it looks like a planet from Spore and the extreme contrast between the colours in the ground and ocean (as well as the planet colour in general) seem out of place with the rest of the mod. However, you have mentioned that changing the colour of the oceans would require a lot of work so I am not concerned by this at the moment.

Odd decision to put Tekto beyond Slate, considering that there was a pretty considerable gap between Eeloo and Slate.

very nice update though!

Whilst I do not mind about the order Slate and Tekto, I do agree that the Sarnus system is very spread out. This is just my opinion but I would like to see both slate and Tekto bunched up a bit, if at all possible. From Tektos surface, Sarnus is very small indeed and it would be nice to be able to see it better from the windows of my future base there :P. But seriously, whilst I don't want all the moons as tightly packed as the Jool system, it certainly seems rather spread out at the moment.

One other thing, in this update you added visual mod compatibility (yay!) which certainly looks good, but I don't like the extreme haze over the gas giants. I was expected something along the lines of what can be seen on page 25 of this thread. Photographs of the real Jupiter and Saturn do not have blurred edges from the altitudes that they can be seen in the game. I was just wondering if something like that can be implemented, if not not worries - I will tweak around with it on my own until I have exactly what I want! :)

Thanks for the update, you continue to impress me, good luck with future releases! :D

There's a converter for converting all textures to DDS, which can then be loaded with the DDS loader.

This typically works with all mods not hard coded to only load the textures they were developed for (png, etc).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672

running OPM through this converter causes it to not load. I assume because Kopernicus won't accept DDS files.

What I'm curious to know is if the other files, not in the kopernicus directory, can be dds files, of if they need to remain png.

I can run some tests on my own in time, but I have a stream to start. :)

Kittopia doesn't work with DDS for now, so the images that it uses can't be in DDS. This includes:

-The ring textures

-The textures for the height and color map

All other images could be in DDS, although in this mod that's mostly the already small FinalFrontier badges

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice Augustus!

CaptRobau, I'm working on a small expansion to OPM that will add, among other things, a Triton-like moon to Neidon that's also like the planned Fonso, as well as some TNOS and centaurs.

When I release it could you make a link to it in the OP, as well as making a link to my BA config when it's done?

Edited by _Augustus_

Now that OPM has moved away from RSS, how will that affect 64k users who need to rescale the planets?

Currently RSS is used to rescale both stock and OPM planets. Can the rescaling be applied in the new kittopiatech method instead? Leaving RSS to rescale stock and kittopiatech rescaling (and creating) the OPM planets.

This is probably the best 64k config for OPM 1.4 to date (that I have found).

Here is a conversion config for the people using Edge of Oblivion:

Download

It includes the Tekto config.

Edit for instructions:

Locate your KSP folder and go to GameData > BoulderCo > Clouds and delete the GasGiants and Tekto config files. Drop the downloaded cloudsOPM file in their place. Profit.

Edited by Akinesis

Now that OPM has moved away from RSS, how will that affect 64k users who need to rescale the planets?

Currently RSS is used to rescale both stock and OPM planets. Can the rescaling be applied in the new kittopiatech method instead? Leaving RSS to rescale stock and kittopiatech rescaling (and creating) the OPM planets.

As I see it, we can still use RSS for the stock planets and use Kopernicus for the OPM ones. RSS was never needed for resizing OPM planets; it was however important for doing PQS stuff to them.

That way we get to benefit from the great work of all the people involved in 64k while still being able to integrate OPM just fine.

I am quite far with doing the 1.5 configs - orbits, sizes and rings are done, but there are some issues with scaledspace and colormaps that I don't understand enough yet to fix them, so I will have to experiment some more to figure it out ._.

Oh and thanks for the compliment, very much appreciated :)

One other thing, in this update you added visual mod compatibility (yay!) which certainly looks good, but I don't like the extreme haze over the gas giants. I was expected something along the lines of what can be seen on page 25 of this thread. Photographs of the real Jupiter and Saturn do not have blurred edges from the altitudes that they can be seen in the game. I was just wondering if something like that can be implemented, if not not worries - I will tweak around with it on my own until I have exactly what I want! :)

Hey hazard-ish.

Granted, the haze is a little more prominent than it needs to be because I was trying to fill that gap on Sarnus between its atmosphere and rings while keeping the surface colours visible.

However, I would very much like to point out that the files used were originally built for the RSS version and I didn't have enough time to do a full conversion to KopernicusTech. Rest assured that I am already working on an update! The haze will most definitely stay, but it will be reduced and blended better. All the planets will have a haze IRL, but it will be less obvious with the gas giants due to their size. Granted they are a little exaggerated for OPM at the moment, but they will be altered.

BUT... it does come with a huge advantage; drop a probe through the atmosphere and you WON'T be disappointed :cool: The effects you see aren't really possible without the haze.

The configs you are referring to on page 25 are done by tygoo7, and all you need to do is download his and swap it for the GasGiant config currently being used if you prefer.

For some reason, when my probe splashed down on Tekto, it teleported to Plock...

SlMijzd.png

However my OPM expansion is doing quite well! Here are some pics of Boris (medikohl told me I could use the textures back in the days of PFREV), which is now a moon of Neidon and has a retrograde, inclined orbit and weird atmospheric scattering/clouds:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sorry! I retract what I previously stated about Tekto being too contrasted (yes the ocean is an odd colour relative to the terrain but that will eventually be fixed - I'm not fussed by it). I have now, after a lot of tweaking, got this mod compatible with a modified version of astronomers visual pack (not interstellar) and with the many layer of clouds over Tekto, it now FEELS truly alien and awesome. Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.