[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Don't worry, the atmo appears when you get close to it. I think.

Nah it doesn't, I landed on it and didn't see anything.

On a brighter note, I believe I figured out what values need to be tweaked to make sarnus and the other giants feasible for DRE. You're gonna want to play with the atmosphereTemperatureMultiplier and the atmosphereScaleHeight. I can't describe exactly what each does, but I found that Sarnus has a value of 5 for tempMultiplier which is way the hell too high. Jool has a value of 2.5 so I changed it to that, along with dropping atmosphereScaleHeight down to 15 from 20 and it seemed to be much smoother.

If anyone would like to do more testing on this, I found the best way is to get into an orbit that is about to enter the atmosphere of a giant, then quick save. Then adjust the numbers after quickloading each time. I found it wasn't very tedious and didn't take long to find some working results.

Hope this helps to get this mod in an even better shape and to make it feasible to use DRE to aerobrake.

If anyone is curious, this is the original concept art I made for Tekto. I suspect it might help you when making your own EVE configs as well as these diagrams

I like that orange edge, gives it some definition. I wonder if there is a way to get EVE/Astronomer's to simulate it. Anyone have any ideas?

I like that orange edge, gives it some definition. I wonder if there is a way to get EVE/Astronomer's to simulate it. Anyone have any ideas?

It is totally possible and in the RSS version it did have an orange band. But there was not enough time to convert the config over before release. I'm already working on an update.

- - - Updated - - -

damn you :D

this with better atmospheres, KW-R and some other small things is enough to push my KSP install over the limits... but i want to playyyy!!!

time to switch to ATM agressive i think.....

Have you tried using OpenGL?

By setting ModScaledAtmoShader = False for Tekto I was able to get the proper atmosphere to render over the planet.

r2vbzGb.jpg

Still trying to get a better looking view from the land though. If it's a very thick atmosphere you shouldn't really be able to see into space during the day. Should be like Eve.

I'm still getting Kerbal Engineer failure as soon as I leave Kerbin SOI. It's a clean install, first save.

Thanks for the info.

Nah it doesn't, I landed on it and didn't see anything.

On a brighter note, I believe I figured out what values need to be tweaked to make sarnus and the other giants feasible for DRE. You're gonna want to play with the atmosphereTemperatureMultiplier and the atmosphereScaleHeight. I can't describe exactly what each does, but I found that Sarnus has a value of 5 for tempMultiplier which is way the hell too high. Jool has a value of 2.5 so I changed it to that, along with dropping atmosphereScaleHeight down to 15 from 20 and it seemed to be much smoother.

If anyone would like to do more testing on this, I found the best way is to get into an orbit that is about to enter the atmosphere of a giant, then quick save. Then adjust the numbers after quickloading each time. I found it wasn't very tedious and didn't take long to find some working results.

Hope this helps to get this mod in an even better shape and to make it feasible to use DRE to aerobrake.

Sarnus has a high atmosphere just like Saturn. That of course means that the temperate has scaled with it as well. That would've led to some high temperatures. I'll try to balance it more.

By setting ModScaledAtmoShader = False for Tekto I was able to get the proper atmosphere to render over the planet.

Still trying to get a better looking view from the land though. If it's a very thick atmosphere you shouldn't really be able to see into space during the day. Should be like Eve.

Thanks a lot. Must've copied that setting by mistake. Wondered why the atmospheric gradient wasn't working correctly, but with a thousand settings to change I didn't know where to begin.

A hotfix is out!

Kopernicus is updated, which fixed the biome bug and I also fixed a couple of other things.

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

-Removed unused Tekto ocean textures
-Mirrored the textures for Hale, Slate and Ovok vertically so they look like they did in 1.4
-Updated Kopernicus to version 0.4, which fixes the biome bug
-Removed the now obsolete biome enabling/disabling config
-Removed the ScaledSpace folder in KittopiaSpace as Kopernicus can now handle that
-Set ModScaledAtmoShader to false for Sarnus, Urlum and Tekto so that atmospheric gradient once again displays correctly

A hotfix is out!

Kopernicus is updated, which fixed the biome bug and I also fixed a couple of other things.

http://i.imgur.com/FRO6RIX.png http://i.imgur.com/WhwiS8Y.png

-Mirrored the textures for Hale, Slate and Ovok vertically so they look like they did in 1.4
-Removed the ScaledSpace folder in KittopiaSpace as Kopernicus can now handle that
-Set ModScaledAtmoShader to false for Sarnus, Urlum and Tekto so that atmospheric gradient once again displays correctly

Oh nice!

Could I ask you how you decided the orbits of the planets? and their positions?

It's clear each planet is an analog of the solar system ones, are the orbits similar too?

The order of the moons is without a doubt based on their inspirations. Their orbital parameters not always. All moons in the Sarnus system for example have an inclination, so they can always see a bit of the rings (because at 0 degrees the rings would be invisible). We're probably going to move Slate and Tekto a bit closer to the rest of the moons, as they seem to be a bit too widespread.

The purple one? Doesn't really fit mine or Eudae55s vision of Neidon's moons.

It's like Triton. It's relatively large compared to the rest of Neidon's moons, it has a very thin atmosphere (Thinner than Duna's), and it's got cool and weird surface features everywhere.

It's one of the optional features in AVP, which gives it to all the rocky planets with atmosphere (Kerbin, Laythe, Eve and Duna). I figured Tekto fit in with that group, so I thought I'd try and add it.

If you have setup the lightning for the stock planets, paste the following under "CLOUD_LAYER_PACK{" in the No.4 lightning config, and you should see it on Tekto as well.

CLOUD_LAYER

{

SAVED

{

body = Tekto

altitude = 8000

volume = False

color

{

r = 15

g = 15

b = 25

a = 10

}

main_texture

{

file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/lightning

scale = 1

offset

{

x = 0.3052678

y = 0

}

speed

{

x = -3E-05

y = 0

}

}

detail_texture

{

file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/lightning

scale = 0.1

offset

{

x = 0.3052678

y = 0

}

speed

{

x = 0.1333333

y = 0.2

}

}

scaled_shader_floats

{

falloffPower = 4

falloffScale = 3.5

detailDistance = 0

minimumLight = -0.4

fadeDistance = 5

rimDistance = 1

}

shader_floats

{

falloffPower = 4

falloffScale = 3.5

detailDistance = 0

minimumLight = -0.4

fadeDistance = 5

rimDistance = 0.0001

}

}

}

I also setup a quick aurora, but it's green and contrasts poorly with the planet.

Never used the lighning before because it didn't feel right on Kerbin and Duna. So I deleted the configs for all bodys except Tekto and it fits in just right, thanks a lot!

A hotfix is out!

http://i.imgur.com/FRO6RIX.png http://i.imgur.com/WhwiS8Y.png

Nice! The biome-fix is really a big one! I was waiting desperatly for that.

I quickly updated another install from 1.4 to 1.5.1 (deleted old stuff, put in new stuff) and loaded a save on Minmus surface. Sadly I got "...from Minmus Rises".

I didn't have the time to test it on a fresh install/save but for me it seems not to be fixed on old save files. Maybe someone else has already?!

The update came right in time, just had finished a new ship to explore Sarnus and later on Urlum. Got to Tekto so far, here are some pictures:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Kerbals were all happy the hole time but passing Tekto scared them pretty hard.

The rises thing could because of it being an older savegame, which is why I generally just recommend starting a new one with each update. That's the fate of mods that evolve as fast this does. How does it look with the debug menu biome viewing 'cheat'? It should be normal.

The lightning in the last two screenshots looks cool. Really fits the violent atmosphere Idea we had for the moon.

The rises thing could because of it being an older savegame, which is why I generally just recommend starting a new one with each update. That's the fate of mods that evolve as fast this does. How does it look with the debug menu biome viewing 'cheat'? It should be normal.

The lightning in the last two screenshots looks cool. Really fits the violent atmosphere Idea we had for the moon.

This is Tylo.

IrBeZXN.png

That is indeed great news. I'm curious though, how does DRE in Sarnus or the other new gas giants compare to Jool? Shouldn't the atmospheres of gas giants be inhospitable and deadly?

DRE works fine with Jool. Every time I go there I use a large shield to aerobrake. Laythe or Jool, it's always the same. It just depends on the pressures. Dipping the periapsis a bit below the atmosphere edge (just how much, that depends on various factors, of course) several times brings the ship to a manageable orbit without any problems.

DC0363432D7C65D9C4C8D484CB244DB5A22EBEEE

2E563C194FFB4CF0A6B73C014FE29D07932CEC5A

You should ask DRE's creator(s) for cooperation. It would be a shame if OPM doesn't get support for DRE, although that might not be neccessary after the stock reentry heating is introduced. But we can't say that one will work well...

If anyone is curious, this is the original concept art I made for Tekto. I suspect it might help you when making your own EVE configs as well as these diagrams

http://imgur.com/a/MMLAy

This seems to be influenced by the false colored near infrared image of Titan.

I actually like the terrain color you've envisioned. Looks like some dried organic residue.

My suggestion - the lakes and seas in the current edition look bland blue just like Laythe's and Kerbin's. What about pitch black? What about very dark orange to resemble the goo of Miller-Urey's experiment?

640px-Orange_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

5619-1.JPG

Very dark orange with a hint of red. I think it would look so nice.

This is Tylo.

It would appear that I didn't copy the new Kopernicus 0.0.4 DLL when I made that new folder and as such 1.5.1 shipped with the old plugin and thus didn't solve the biome bug. My bad. When I have time today I'll push another update that fixes that mistake.

In the meantime, you can download the DLL from here: https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/releases

Biome fix?!?! Excelsior!! Seriously, no matter how many problems my overly-modded build has with adding this one on top of it all, I just keep coming back and reinstalling it! Quality work you guys; looking forward to getting out of work and giving this one another go :)

It would appear that I didn't copy the new Kopernicus 0.0.4 DLL when I made that new folder and as such 1.5.1 shipped with the old plugin and thus didn't solve the biome bug. My bad. When I have time today I'll push another update that fixes that mistake.

In the meantime, you can download the DLL from here: https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/releases

Fixed it for my old save file. Got " ... from Minmus Highlands" instead of risings. I'm so happy :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.