[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Nice to see 1.5.5 going back to dds, I'll give it another shot.

Btw the resized textures download link. I cannot download from NZ because ot crashes my browser, due to it only supporting Chrome.

Could a second download host be added?? Or if someone has an other link, I appreciate it.

Check the OP, Dropbox mirror up.

I don't know if you saw my post:

I would be very thankful for an answer :)

I don't know that program, but the format seems straight forward. I'll put it on the TODO list for the next update.

Some interesting discussions here. I've got 1.5.5.1 now, but still am unable to zoom out to see the whole system. Tried removing/adding back mods, still no luck with that one.

As far as Linux, I'm running Mint 17.1, too, but the MATE desktop. Interestingly the program behaves differently when I load it via the Steam desktop icon, versus when I just kick off the executable from a shell. With other mods, they would only work when launched from Steam. Now, launching it from Steam crashes during startup, but command line works. However....

Sarnus is supposed to have rings? Don't see them. Also, are the outer planets supposed to have clouds? I have EVE and AVP installed, works fine out to Jool. Then, just the plain ol' planets and moons, no clouds or rings. Kittopia might be the culprit? Is there something I should be looking for in the KSP.log to maybe figure out what's going on, and why I don't see the pretty rings?

I'm at about 6G of RAM as loaded, full-res textures. Not a problem for me, really.

Steam must be setting some environment variables or something that change how the game works. I'm not sure how the mods pick up on the environment vars - seems inconsistent given my experiences. Navigating through Steam's maze of shell scripts seems a little more daunting than I want to take on presently.

Any hints or paths of investigation welcome....

Cheers,

-BS

Some interesting discussions here. I've got 1.5.5.1 now, but still am unable to zoom out to see the whole system. Tried removing/adding back mods, still no luck with that one.

As far as Linux, I'm running Mint 17.1, too, but the MATE desktop. Interestingly the program behaves differently when I load it via the Steam desktop icon, versus when I just kick off the executable from a shell. With other mods, they would only work when launched from Steam. Now, launching it from Steam crashes during startup, but command line works. However....

Sarnus is supposed to have rings? Don't see them. Also, are the outer planets supposed to have clouds? I have EVE and AVP installed, works fine out to Jool. Then, just the plain ol' planets and moons, no clouds or rings. Kittopia might be the culprit? Is there something I should be looking for in the KSP.log to maybe figure out what's going on, and why I don't see the pretty rings?

I'm at about 6G of RAM as loaded, full-res textures. Not a problem for me, really.

Steam must be setting some environment variables or something that change how the game works. I'm not sure how the mods pick up on the environment vars - seems inconsistent given my experiences. Navigating through Steam's maze of shell scripts seems a little more daunting than I want to take on presently.

Cheers,

-BS

There's definitely an issue somewhere. I don't use steam but it sounds like we're having the same problem. Can you copy your steam install to some other directory and try launching the game from there? I bet your rings show up :)

Also interesting that we're having the same issue and we're both on Linux Mint. I wonder if Kittopia has some setting with a Capital letter somewhere it shouldn't be, or vice-versa. I've seen that simple mistake break mods on linux before.

As for your issue with zooming out, that's a new one on me. I have a low-end laptop with intel graphics and I can zoom all the way out in the tracking center. Hope you can get that figured out.

CaptRobau, amarius1 and I released Outer Planets Plus. Can you change the link to go to the new thread?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112225-OuterPlanetsPlus-Version-2-0?p=1768172#post1768172

I did not and you know that. I was added as an author on Outer Planets Plus's KerbalStuff page to directly help out Amarius with an issue, but I didn't even turn out to have time to do that. My only involvement with Plus are suggestions and the occasional double-checking a non-working cfg.

- - - Updated - - -

Planet Reference numbers please?

180 to 187. For specifics download the mod and go to OPM/KopernicusConfigs and check out the various the planets and moons for their FlightGlobalIndex.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no experience with Linux and games, nor can I test OPM for it. So I'm probably even more in the dark than you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also interesting that we're having the same issue and we're both on Linux Mint. I wonder if Kittopia has some setting with a Capital letter somewhere it shouldn't be, or vice-versa. I've seen that simple mistake break mods on linux before.

That was an issue a couple of updates a go. Rings didn't show up on Linux due to capital letters not being right. The capital letters were however fixed for the files themselves as well as in the code of the Kittopia plugin to circumvent further such problems on Linux. So that can't be it.

That was an issue a couple of updates a go. Rings didn't show up on Linux due to capital letters not being right. The capital letters were however fixed for the files themselves as well as in the code of the Kittopia plugin to circumvent further such problems on Linux. So that can't be it.

Far out, I was just grasping at straws because that's a common thing when people make mods and aren't familiar with linux syntax. I didn't know about that exact issue back then. For the record, I have no issues with the Rings showing up in Linux when I fire up the game from a window manager and simply double click KSP.x86_64 (or even just typing it out in a terminal window within the KSP directory), but when I try and setup a simple desktop icon to start the game for me, that's when it all goes away. The syntax issue may have been resolved for the Rings themselves, but maybe there is another error somewhere that doesn't use the correct enviroment variables when NOT starting the game directly from it's own directory?

I have no experience with Linux and games, nor can I test OPM for it. So I'm probably even more in the dark than you.

Even a general idea, which doesn't need to be OS specific, of what to look for in the logs when something goes awry with ring and other feature loading might be helpful. For instance, what shows up in the game log when there's an issue, for example, with case-sensitive file names? Or any other sort of indication of an issue loading the rings and other features? I can probably start making educated guesses from there. Even, what shows up in the logs when the rings and features show up normally?

Cheers,

-BS

- - - Updated - - -

There's definitely an issue somewhere. I don't use steam but it sounds like we're having the same problem. Can you copy your steam install to some other directory and try launching the game from there? I bet your rings show up :)

As for your issue with zooming out, that's a new one on me. I have a low-end laptop with intel graphics and I can zoom all the way out in the tracking center. Hope you can get that figured out.

My guess is that copying the installation wouldn't help, essentially what I'm doing is launching the same executable from the shell instead of from Steam. The only thing that might change is the path name to the KSP folder. Suppose it might be worth a shot.

One thing to try with the desktop icon (and perhaps even Steam, though it might be trickier because it's not straightforward, though probably not hard, to get Steam to launch a different executable which then launches KSP) is to have the icon launch a quick shell script you could write/use, which logs your environment variables to a file or something. Then you can compare that to what your environment variables are when you're on the command line. The shell will generally read some config files (~/.bashrc, ~/.profile, /etc/bash.bashrc, depending on which shell you use) to determine the environment. Mint seems to default to bash, which is my favorite anyway.

I also wonder if there's a mod out there that will just change the zoom. I know it can be done, I had Working Multiple Star Systems installed a while back, and while I couldn't always get the whole mod to work, the part that zoomed out so far that the entire Kerbol system was a tiny fraction of the map worked fine. I suppose I could dig around in that mod to try and find out what's in there that changes the zoom and try applying just that.

Cheers,

-BS

Hmmmm... A barycenter wouldn't be worth it for the Plock system anyway, considering pluto and Charon wouldn't be locked in any way.

what do you mean?

Pluto and charon are locked, or at least that's what wiki says

The system is also unusual among planetary systems in that each is tidally locked to the other: Charon always presents the same face to Pluto, and Pluto always presents the same face to Charon: from any position on either body, the other is always at the same position in the sky, or always obscured.

And if you meant that it's not possible in game, I'll upload my version of the system later this week.

Will that work with 1.5.5.1 and TR?

Yeah, totally. 1.5.5.1 is just the TR fix, that one should not be overridden.

Even a general idea, which doesn't need to be OS specific, of what to look for in the logs when something goes awry with ring and other feature loading might be helpful. For instance, what shows up in the game log when there's an issue, for example, with case-sensitive file names? Or any other sort of indication of an issue loading the rings and other features? I can probably start making educated guesses from there. Even, what shows up in the logs when the rings and features show up normally?

Not much programming knowledge here myself, but what I usually do is just search the logfile for mentions of whatever mod I think is breaking things. Rings are done by kittopia, so just check the log for instances in which it shows up. Regarding the zoom, that is definitively a bug as well - I play this at 6.4x the size (on ubuntu) and can zoom out just fine... Apart from some generic "try reinstalling maybe possibly" suggestions, I think the logfile is your best bet. Then you only need someone who can make something of it :)

I did not and you know that. I was added as an author on Outer Planets Plus's KerbalStuff page to directly help out Amarius with an issue, but I didn't even turn out to have time to do that. My only involvement with Plus are suggestions and the occasional double-checking a non-working cfg.

Huh?

I'm confused. I mean, remove the link in the OP to the old thread and change it to the new one.

Huh?

I'm confused. I mean, remove the link in the OP to the old thread and change it to the new one.

My understanding from reading that exchange is that CaptRobau never was involved in Amarius' mod and/or does not want to be credited as being a collaborator or developer of it.

Your earlier post does not reflect this:

CaptRobau, amarius1 and I released Outer Planets Plus.

Maybe he was just calling out, like in "Mom, janet and I are going to get married tomorrow because I knocked her up"

that's how I intended it too... kinda like

Hey CaptRobau:

amarius1 and I released Outer Planets Plus. Can you change the link to go to the new thread [Please]?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112225-OuterPlanetsPlus-Version-2-0?p=1768172#post1768172

Huh?

My apologies, I read it as Outer Planets Plus was released by you, me and Amarius. That kind of sounded like you were promoting it as something official. What you seem to have meant was: hey CaptRobau, me and Amarius released OPP. Sorry for being so harsh. Must've been in a bad mood.

My apologies, I read it as Outer Planets Plus was released by you, me and Amarius. That kind of sounded like you were promoting it as something official. What you seem to have meant was: hey CaptRobau, me and Amarius released OPP. Sorry for being so harsh. Must've been in a bad mood.

Will you update the link then?

that's how I intended it too... kinda like

That is in fact what I meant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.