[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

It doesn't work with Ckan.

Besides, Ckan is for people who don't know how to move files around xD

That statement is offensive and ignorant!

If you like shuffling files around, have at it!

I have more than 90 mods installed, almost all with CKAN. I have had exactly ZERO problems with the CKAN installs, but have had problems when doing things manually. And I am used to doing things manually, it's what I do for a living (system administrator for >1000 Linux systems)

CKAN is like Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN), and they are basing the basic idea from CPAN. No, it isn't as mature as CPAN, but then again, it hasn't been around as long. ANYTHING that can remove the possiblity of user error is always an improvement.

If I had to reinstall 90+ mods, I think I would just not bother. One of the reasons I recommend the game to my friends (many of whom are teachers) is because of the ease of a novice being able to install specific mods via CPAN rather than have to :

1. Find the file

2. Download the file

3. Unpack the file

4. Move all file data files into the correct locations

and with each mod author packaging their mod differently, it becomes impossible to install, maintain, update, etc.

I do have 3 mods installed by hand which are not in CKAN, but for these three, I have to maintain detailed notes as to what version is installed, where it comes from, etc. These 3 mods tend to take more time by themselves to maintain than the other 90+ combined.

Can someone be a lamb and tell me the best average height for aerobraking at Sarnus? I use FAR and DRE.

the one that makes you have the desired apoapsis without exploding in the least number of passages

70c94e7d4ecf.gif

PS: sorry I can't help you, I had to remove far for pc reasons

Can someone be a lamb and tell me the best average height for aerobraking at Sarnus? I use FAR and DRE.

A small window around 302km is where I go

A couple hundred metres higher and you end up ricocheting back into space.

A couple hundred metres lower and you'd be trapped in the gas giant if you survived the g-forces.

Tried scouring the thread and teh Intarwebs, but is there a wiki (or something of the like) for the celestial bodies in OPM? A list of orbital and physical characteristics?

Also, thanks earlier in the thread for some information on how to get the clouds to work: auroras need to be installed in the BoulderCo folder as part of AVP otherwise the clouds aren't there. Took me a bit to figure that out from the thread, though.

Cheers,

-BS

A small window around 302km is where I go

A couple hundred metres higher and you end up ricocheting back into space.

A couple hundred metres lower and you'd be trapped in the gas giant if you survived the g-forces.

Is that in the latest version? I remember that while testing the latest version with the changes that were made that something around 280 km would be low enough to get out safely.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried scouring the thread and teh Intarwebs, but is there a wiki (or something of the like) for the celestial bodies in OPM? A list of orbital and physical characteristics?

Also, thanks earlier in the thread for some information on how to get the clouds to work: auroras need to be installed in the BoulderCo folder as part of AVP otherwise the clouds aren't there. Took me a bit to figure that out from the thread, though.

Cheers,

-BS

No info yet, although a wiki is in the works for OPM and other planet packs. I or others haven't gotten around to it adding much to it though. Personally it's because I'm busy with a job now, so not as much time as before. In the mean time, the info can also be found in the OPM/KopernicusConfigs folder and its subfolder. Just open up the .cfg of the planet/moon you want and the info is right in there. About your installation woes, we had an installation guide for the previous version, but in our update of the OP we accidentally removed that link. It's next to the AVP install link though, so future players should have less problems.

- - - Updated - - -

I question this. It doesn't work with CKAN because no one has provided a config file.

CKAN is for people who dislike having their copy of modded KSP turn into ModManager 2k15.

I should get around to making this as well as a guide for a generic mod manager that I use that's a nice inbetween CKAN and manual. It's why I have no issues with mod management, while so many still are.

- - - Updated - - -

I question this. It doesn't work with CKAN because no one has provided a config file.

CKAN is for people who dislike having their copy of modded KSP turn into ModManager 2k15.

I should get around to making this as well as a guide for a generic mod manager that I use that's a nice inbetween CKAN and manual. It's why I have no issues with mod management, while so many still are.

How have you guys been getting AVP Interstellar to work? I've been trying for the past 2 hours, and I can't do it. It always crashes as soon as I do step 3. If I skip step 3, the Eve and Jool clouds don't work. Every time I try something, KSP either crashes or nothing changes. Please someone teach me your ways. If you need a log or something tell me how and I will get it for you. I JUST WANT THE FROSTED PEA.

H0KU16F.jpg

Edited by SmallFatFetus

How have you guys been getting AVP Interstellar to work? I've been trying for the past 2 hours, and I can't do it. It always crashes as soon as I do step 3. If I skip step 3, the Eve and Jool clouds don't work. Every time I try something, KSP either crashes or nothing changes. Please someone teach me your ways. If you need a log or something tell me how and I will get it for you. I JUST WANT THE FROSTED PEA.

http://i.imgur.com/H0KU16F.jpg

yeah I've also had that problem, but only in 32-bit. in 64 bit it works just fine, even with OPM and a bunch of mods. I'm just worried on whats going to happen when 1.0 comes out because there is not going to be a 64 bit version of 1.0.:confused:

Have tried to run the game with OpenGL?

Otherwise there is a config for the older AVP Edge of Oblivion that is less RAM-intense on the bottom of page 72 in this thread.

Could you guys tell me how to run in OpenGL and 64-bit from Mac? Sorry for the dumb questions...

64-bit is not needed, OpenGL is more than enough.

However AVP Interstellar still takes up tons of memory so don't try to install too many other mods.

No info yet, although a wiki is in the works for OPM and other planet packs. I or others haven't gotten around to it adding much to it though. Personally it's because I'm busy with a job now, so not as much time as before. In the mean time, the info can also be found in the OPM/KopernicusConfigs folder and its subfolder. Just open up the .cfg of the planet/moon you want and the info is right in there. About your installation woes, we had an installation guide for the previous version, but in our update of the OP we accidentally removed that link. It's next to the AVP install link though, so future players should have less problems.

Hmmm...the config file has most of the good stuff....although I'm not sure how the atmosphere height (for Sarnus, in this case) gets set, which is one of the ones I was looking for. It's templated after Jool, but it's only got the parameter:

flyingAltitudeThreshold = 275000

Is that what sets the height? I also know the atmosphere starts much higher on Sarnus, something like 300km. I grep'ped through the whole GameData folder, but nothing stood out to me.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah I've also had that problem, but only in 32-bit. in 64 bit it works just fine, even with OPM and a bunch of mods. I'm just worried on whats going to happen when 1.0 comes out because there is not going to be a 64 bit version of 1.0.:confused:

I'm venturing a guess here that only Windows will be limited to 32 bit? Mac and Linux won't?

64-bit is not needed, OpenGL is more than enough.

However AVP Interstellar still takes up tons of memory so don't try to install too many other mods.

Can confirm that with just OPM and AVP interstellar, I'm at 2.5 GB while running active texture management at aggressive.

Actually scratch that, after reloading its down to something like 2.5 GB with that and a few other mods installed. Just make sure to install mods one at a time, run the game so it compresses the textures, and restart, otherwise you'll hit the memory limit almost immediately, since ATM seems use much more memory during the initial run than later runs.

Edited by InfinityArch

Hmmm...the config file has most of the good stuff....although I'm not sure how the atmosphere height (for Sarnus, in this case) gets set, which is one of the ones I was looking for. It's templated after Jool, but it's only got the parameter:

flyingAltitudeThreshold = 275000

Is that what sets the height? I also know the atmosphere starts much higher on Sarnus, something like 300km. I grep'ped through the whole GameData folder, but nothing stood out to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm venturing a guess here that only Windows will be limited to 32 bit? Mac and Linux won't?

The atmospheric data is in KittopiaSpace/SaveLoad, and the starting point is this maxAtmosphereAltitude. Might not be correct to the meter, but it should be close.

Linux has 64-bit, but Mac doesn't if I remember correctly.

The wiki admins had to fix a problem that I had on a template, it's now fixed so pages are on the way.

Jool seems to be much more forgiving for aerobraking... Sarnus has more atmosphere and it's less stuffed close to the "surface", extending higher, so I guess Jool experiences don't help.

I smell failure, but that's why we have F9.

Have you tried the Trajectories mod? It should be able to display your adjusted in-atmospheric and post-atmospheric flight paths under FAR in arbitrary atmospheres, even those of OPM planets. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you're telling the mod which way you're going in. Default is nose-first; use the menu sliders to set angle of attack to +/- 180° to change it to tail-first in case you need it (you can also simulate going broadside-first or lifting body gliding, of course).

That's not saying anything about heat production, of course, but at the very least you'll be able to see the maximum periapsis you can get away with and still capture. You'll find that Trajectories can simulate up to 10 conics ahead, so multiple aerobraking passes can be pre-computed. Then you can go as gentle as you wish, provided you want to invest the time.

Edited by Streetwind

Have you tried the Trajectories mod? It should be able to display your adjusted in-atmospheric and post-atmospheric flight paths under FAR in arbitrary atmospheres, even those of OPM planets. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you're telling the mod which way you're going in. Default is nose-first; use the menu sliders to set angle of attack to +/- 180° to change it to tail-first in case you need it (you can also simulate going broadside-first or lifting body gliding, of course).

That's not saying anything about heat production, of course, but at the very least you'll be able to see the maximum periapsis you can get away with and still capture. You'll find that Trajectories can simulate up to 10 conics ahead, so multiple aerobraking passes can be pre-computed. Then you can go as gentle as you wish, provided you want to invest the time.

I have, back when it came out. It didn't work well so I've abandoned it. Maybe I should give it another try...

I've frankly not had much in the way of problems with it... only sometimes I get noticable slowdowns when it's trying to calculate a large number of passes for a complex spacecraft in realtime. But well, since turning off the simulation after I am happy with my orbit is just a single click on a checkbox, I'm fine with that. And usually I only need to calculate the first pass anyhow.

Seems worth a try, in any case.

Yes, try using OpenGL. I wrote the configs for the OPM AVP files (and EoO) with tgyoo7 and I can't even run AVP without OpenGL :/

Edit: CaptRobau - did you want to add the Edge of Oblivion cloud file from my post on page 72 to the OP?

Edited by Akinesis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.