[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

I've seen a lot of requests for changes to the Jool system and even the inner solar system and I have to say that I do not like the idea. I would like the mod to change thingsbeyond Jool, whilst everything within Jool's orbit, including Jool, remains unchanged. The addition of a comet is fine, but I really do not want to say the Jool system being tampered with.

I wouldn't mind at all if there were changes made but released as a separate mod, but just not this one.

Also, just as a suggestion, could the moons for Urlum be given higher inclinations? That way it would be easier to see the faint ring system.

I must say I agree with you. I'm not into Jool system tampering. It's already a pretty populated place.

One of the things I like about this mod is that if something is added, it adds something to the gameplay, rather than repeating something that's already present just for the sake of adding it.

It also doesn't take the '

' approach to making new bodies.

You took the words out of my mouth. :)

OPM is very stock in appearance. It does not add wackyland worlds. Perhaps that's its biggest appeal.

I must say I agree with you. I'm not into Jool system tampering. It's already a pretty populated place.

Thanks, just to clarify if anyone's unsure, I am not against changing of the Jool system, but I wouldn't want it happening within this mod.

Also, this is unrelated but how is Wal pronounced? I would normally pronounce that word with an 'a' sound like in the word 'pan', but it is obviously named after a walnut so maybe I should pronounce it as 'wall'. Either, way, I like the name for the moon - and the moon itself, for that matter!

I think I've found an issue. I've just now reached the point in career where the first Sarnus system contract came up. It was an "Explore Eeloo" contract, then "Explore Tekto" came up...I declined several in the Contract Facility trying to get the "Explore Sarnus" one to come up, I would think it should become available before even Eeloo or Tekto. After a while of declining, I just went out to the space center screen and SHIFT-F12'd it and started declining contracts there until the "Explore Sarnus" one finally came up.

So I had those 3 Explore contracts, I went to the VAB to load up my vessel I made a while ago for this mission and while in the VAB I checked the contracts again and they were gone. I still had the advanced money from them, but they vanished. I exited back to the space center and checked, still gone. Then I SHIFT-F12'd and checked and they weren't active, or completed, but they were offered again. I accepted them, got the advance money once again and went back to the VAB...and they were gone again.

After that I started experimenting and it seems that every OPM related contract vanishes on me when I switch scenes. If I have NON-OPM related contracts, all is well. If I have OPM and NON-OPM contracts active at the same time, they all vanish.

It doesn't matter if I quick-save after accepting, as soon as I switch scenes anywhere, they vanish.

Anyone else have this issue?

This mod is beyond buggy. Clipping in the ground, texture issues, drifting away from maneuver nodes...Fix this mod! The bugs make this mod unplayable and hated by me. Thanks, Kaboom!

Have you tried a clean install? What version of OPM are you using and is your game 64 bit?

This mod is beyond buggy. Clipping in the ground, texture issues, drifting away from manevor nodes...Fix this mod! The bugs make this mod unplayable and hated by me. Thanks, Kaboom!

I haven't had any of those issues. I'm using a slightly older version of the mod, though...

In sandbox and science sandbox it should, unless you have other planets mods that could cause problems

I don't know about career but I dont see why it should cause problems.

Just a note:

The mod moves eelo so if you have a mission flying out to eelo it wont get there.

Everything in orbit or on the ground will be fine

So everything stays in their positions relative to the SoI they're in, except Eeloo which is teleported to Sarnus?

I do see a possibility for weirdness if you have something in a very high Eeloo orbit and it's SoI shrinks.

FYI I removed and reinstalled OPM completely and the vanishing contract issue still continues. I was hoping it was something from the upgrade to 1.6 that caused it but it appears not to be the case.

(EDIT) Did more testing and it's definitely the scene change that does it, changing focus, or going back and forth between map views doesn't affect it. I was able to accept the Explore Sarnus contract and complete it without changing scenes at all, several previous tries were all wiped out with any scene change. I grabbed a couple screenshots and the player.log right after accepting explore tekto and eeloo contracts, I hope there is something in them that the Devs of this mod can use, because otherwise, this is truly a game breaker for career mode.

TjZuAgf.png?1

nE05Vj9.png?1

And the Log file here.

Edited by Eleven

FYI I removed and reinstalled OPM completely and the vanishing contract issue still continues. I was hoping it was something from the upgrade to 1.6 that caused it but it appears not to be the case.

(EDIT) Did more testing and it's definitely the scene change that does it, changing focus, or going back and forth between map views doesn't affect it. I was able to accept the Explore Sarnus contract and complete it without changing scenes at all, several previous tries were all wiped out with any scene change. I grabbed a couple screenshots and the player.log right after accepting explore tekto and eeloo contracts, I hope there is something in them that the Devs of this mod can use, because otherwise, this is truly a game breaker for career mode.

http://i.imgur.com/TjZuAgf.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/nE05Vj9.png?1

And the Log file here.

I had a similar problem a while ago with OPM 1.4. I had sent a mission to sarnus without any exploration contracts for that system. During the journey I fullfilled the exploration-contracts for the joolian moons with another mission. As far as I accepted the contract to explore eeloo things got weired. Some contracts vanished some were still available after scene changes. Then I got the sarnus exploration contract and all contracts vanished after a scene change.

At this time the biome-bug was still in and I also used an old career-save that used the interstallar mod for a while. So I thought this was responsible for the contract-behaviour.

That's something not related to this mod, but rather the plugins it uses. I passed it on to the devs of KopernicusTech. Hopefully the detailed description helps fixing it quickly.

Thanks. I just hope they are as active with that as you are here.

Will Urlum get a moon with and atmosphere?

I personally say no thanks. If it does get a moon with an atmosphere, it should not have any oceans and the atmosphere should be no denser than Duna's. Alternatively, it could have a moon without oceans and a very dense atmosphere.

Once again I'll be streaming the Outer Planets Mod over on Twitch for a few hours, come on by if you have a chance:

www.twitch.tv/spaceman_spff

I'll be attempting landings on the new moons of Urlum, and accepting reasonable or crazy challenges.

EDIT: and no sooner did I go online than Twitch crashed. I'll be offline for now.

Edited by spaceman_spff
Twitch fail

quick question- is there any kethane to be found on these celestial bodies? would be nice to set up an infrastructure

love the mod, by the way

I don't know about Kethane, but there is definitely Karbonite. If you ask me it is a superior mod and the developer of Karbonite is working on the new resource system to be released in version 1.0 for KSP so it may be more intuitive. However, if there is Karbonite added to the bodies, there is likely to be Kethane. I will try to check for you though :)

Also, is there any information regarding how much more work in needed to be put into Urlums fourth moon before you think it is presentable? I am interested to know what stage of development it is at but if you would rather not say then no worries :)

I personally say no thanks. If it does get a moon with an atmosphere, it should not have any oceans and the atmosphere should be no denser than Duna's. Alternatively, it could have a moon without oceans and a very dense atmosphere.

Let's save the atmospheres for Neidon.

What about a planet that has an ocean but no atmosphere? You could use the Better Buoyancy mod and Hydrobrake! :P

I'm kidding, oceans need atmospheres to stay liquid.

Let's save the atmospheres for Neidon.

What about a planet that has an ocean but no atmosphere? You could use the Better Buoyancy mod and Hydrobrake! :P

I'm kidding, oceans need atmospheres to stay liquid.

I think we're close enough to Neidon's moons to say that one of them will indeed be the one to have an atmosphere, not the remaining moon of Urlum. This Neidon moon will have a thin atmosphere and will be based mostly on Triton. Aerodynamic flight will be possible, but it won't be easy (which is the challenge of course).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about Kethane, but there is definitely Karbonite. If you ask me it is a superior mod and the developer of Karbonite is working on the new resource system to be released in version 1.0 for KSP so it may be more intuitive. However, if there is Karbonite added to the bodies, there is likely to be Kethane. I will try to check for you though :)

Also, is there any information regarding how much more work in needed to be put into Urlums fourth moon before you think it is presentable? I am interested to know what stage of development it is at but if you would rather not say then no worries :)

It was postponed at the last moment. I doubt we'll need to wait months. Eudae55 however is quite busy at the moment, so that makes small changes take longer than before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.