[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Have I showed off Tal, the subsatellite aka moon of a moon, yet? In case I haven't:

http://i.imgur.com/jtXzqDl.png

Progress on the beta is going very well So Soonâ„¢. It's actually much more stable than OPM 1.6.5 is on 1.0+ and only misses a few features that make it not shiny enough for a true release. Wal has a bug that makes its terrain black (Kopernicus devs are trying to fix it) and Ovok is temporary not as supersmooth as it usually is (a fix is also in the works). All-in-all I recommend getting this beta when it comes out and replacing 1.6.5 with it. That version barely works on 1.0 (kind of regret calling it compatible), while the 1.7 beta does work. Other major features you can expect in the beta (and thus in the release version 1.7 too):

-Dropped Kittopia and DDSLoader. The latter was made obsolete with 1.0 and the former is no longer necessary due to the awesomeness of the new Kopernicus devs. Less third party mods means more stability and also lead to the next item on the list:

-All the bugs in Known Bugs are solved. This includes the recovery values being off on Kerbin, the contract disappearance bug and the translucent border obscuring rings

-A moon for Wal called Tal (more info spread among the pages of this thread)

-Added FinalFrontier ribbons to the Urlum moons

-Added biomes and science blurbs to the Urlum moons

Aside from the things mentioned above, OPM's planets and moons are moving very close to stock-like quality in terms of gameplay stability. They looked good before, but they now also play good too.

wow, all the "known bugs gone" ? Impressive!

can't wait to see the final result :D

I hope I can resist the temptation to download the 1.7 beta and be patient enough to wait for the release :)

(I'm still playing on 0.90 anyway so 1.6.5 is fine)

Glad you like it. Release hopefully won't be very long after start the beta, although it does all depend on the speed with which the Kopernicus team can fix my bugs. Knowing them however, it shouldn't be too long. They're miracle workers I tell you.

Oooh, it's good to finally get a good look at Tal! Its look kind of reminds me of wet clay - very interesting. I would ask if we could hear about Tal's physical characteristics but, given the time until the release, I think I'll just wait for the update :) It does orbit slightly further from Wal than I expected but there must only be a few stable orbits around it so I'm okay with that.

I can't wait to put OPM back on my 1.0 game!

I honestly can't imagine playing KSP without this mod it's a work of art. We do sometimes forget the amount of work that goes into a project like this but that's mainly because we are just as excited about seeing this mod grow as the developers are!

Keep up the good work!

Time for the 1.7 Beta!

This one has been a long time coming. With the renewed development of Kopernicus and KSP's 1.0 update, there's been a lot that needed changing. This beta is more stable on 1.0 than 1.6.5 is, but it is not yet at the level of quality that 1.6.5 had on 0.90. This is why we've released a beta first. A beta can mean bugs, so please report them if you see them (some are already known, see below)

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

So what are the big changes:

Switched to just Kopernicus

This allowed us to drop KittopiaTech, which was dead in the water. The less third party plugins this mod needs the better

Several major bugs fixed

The switch to the actively developed Kopernicus allowed us to eliminate the dissappearing contracts bug, the transparent disc around Sarnus and the recovery value bug on Kerbin

Added a moon to Wal

This moon of a moon called Tal is a little Gilly/Bop like moon that's managed to get into a stable orbit around Tal. To make this believeable, Wal's orbit was enlarged

Added biomes and descriptions to Urlum's existing moons

Thanks to a lot of community support, we've been able to add dozens of new blurbs to the biomes now added to Wal, Polta and Priax

Added more FinalFrontier ribbon support

We also balanced the points you get for each ribbon

Redid the normal maps of all the moons

They looks really great now

Since this is a beta, there are still some things that need fixing. Here are the known issues:

-Tekto, Moho's and Wal's terrain turn dark/black up close (the Kopernicus team is fixing this)

-The atmosphere's of the gas giants and Tekto are not very well-balanced. This was just a quick implementation. As the knowledge of the new atmosphere system increases, so will the balance. Help us by making trips into these atmospheres and noting what feels off

-Ovok doesn't look as smooth as before (requires a Kopernicus PQSMod that is being worked by someone else)

Full changelog:

-Added a moon around Wall called Tal
-Added biomes to Urlum's moons
-Added a couple more science descriptions to Tekto
-Rebuilt the mod to only use the new Kopernicus
-Removed KopernicusTech because it's no longer used
-Converted all gas giants to work without a template
-Removed DDSLoader because it's obsolete since 1.0
-Removed CustomAsteroids support since it hasn't been updated in months and is buggy
-Removed the solar power curve config because it is obsolete since 1.0.1
-Updated ModuleManager to version 2.6.2
-Rotated Priax so that its lighter side is facing the orbital direction
-Added FinalFrontier ribbons for the Urlum moons
-Enabled Plock's ribbons in the FinalFrontier config
-Rebalanced the prestige you get for each OPM ribbon
-Changed Wal's orbital color to make it more distinct from Tal's color
-Changed Wal's description to fit the inclusion of Tal
-Made Wal's orbit larger to realistically allow subsatellite Tal to exist
-Added custom timewarp limits to the existing OPM bodies
-Redid some of the normal maps for the existing OPM bodies
-Integrated OPM with the new stock resource system
-Renamed the RegolithConfigs folder to KarboniteConfigs, to reflect Karbonite mod dropping Regolith for the stock resource system

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Congratulations on the release, the biomes look really well done! Are all the blurbs finished now?

Also, since this is the first post-1.0 release, does the stock resource system work on OPM? I know Karbonite worked in the past, because it applied itself to any planets it found, but I don't know how the new system operates. I wish I had time to help you guys test things.

It does. The stock resource is pretty simple, as it just as a general distribution for everything. Everything that doesn't fit that is turned off/down (no ore mining on the Sun or on Jool for example). So my job with this was mostly to just disable the gas giants and Tekto's oceans from being mineable.

All the blurbs are finished now. Many biomes also have secondary descriptions, so many help did we get with writing them.

More specific Karbonite-compatible configs are also converted to 1.0, thanks to Olympic1.

I'm having a few problems with the beta:

1. The new planets won't load

2. When I launch a ship my save is corrupted.

I suggest you try with a 100% clean install. You might be having some compatibility issues.

I can run the example Kopernicus planets and Kerbol+ just fine. It's not compatibility.

Irrelevant. You must try running on a clean install before complaining - how does anyone know you don't have an outdated mod hiding there somewhere?

Irrelevant. You must try running on a clean install before complaining - how does anyone know you don't have an outdated mod hiding there somewhere?
I meant that I literally had just deleted the OPM folder and installed Kerbol+, and it worked fine. Kerbol+ just doesn't use templates like OPM.

I believe that this issue is due to the fact that CaptRobau still is using templates, this also explains the black terrain bugs that he has. Standalone Kopernicus isn't really meant to use templates like PF.

You know what I'm here to post about... :)

So far so good, I snagged a OPM contract and went nuts with scene changes, even accepted and completed another non-related contract and so far so good :)

On a side note, one thing I realized today was that you cannot convert any of OPM's textures to DDS yourself, I've become accustomed to doing this with every new mod, some work, some don't. If you do convert OPM's textures to DDS, planets will not show for sure, maybe that's an issue some people are having?

I meant that I literally had just deleted the OPM folder and installed Kerbol+, and it worked fine. Kerbol+ just doesn't use templates like OPM.

I believe that this issue is due to the fact that CaptRobau still is using templates, this also explains the black terrain bugs that he has. Standalone Kopernicus isn't really meant to use templates like PF.

Irrelevant. You must use a clean install before reporting a bug as "the mod is borked" as opposed to "the mod's compatibility may be borked in some cases".

Come back once you've done it on a clean install, please.

So far so good, I snagged a OPM contract and went nuts with scene changes, even accepted and completed another non-related contract and so far so good :)

On a side note, one thing I realized today was that you cannot convert any of OPM's textures to DDS yourself, I've become accustomed to doing this with every new mod, some work, some don't. If you do convert OPM's textures to DDS, planets will not show for sure, maybe that's an issue some people are having?

I was able to do it but with opm 1.6.5, I don't know if that changed now.

It didn't work at the first try, but after trying different saving setups I was able to get one that loaded, to be honest I don't remember which settings I used, but maybe you can try a couple

I was able to do it but with opm 1.6.5, I don't know if that changed now.

It didn't work at the first try, but after trying different saving setups I was able to get one that loaded, to be honest I don't remember which settings I used, but maybe you can try a couple

If you do have luck converting them to DDS, let me know what you did. I'm just using img2dds and it's exception list (I'm on linux, can't run a windows converter).

If you do have luck converting them to DDS, let me know what you did. I'm just using img2dds and it's exception list (I'm on linux, can't run a windows converter).

Converting from .PNG to .DDS using Photoshop:

6M6FsgJ.png

Note: This requires a plugin for photoshop available from the NVIDIA website.

hello,i got the new 1.7 update,and now my ring around sarnus is all bugged out,and lost its colors,and ulrum lost half of hes colors,half white and half of the star is ok.

in 1.6 it was fine :confused:

edit: i re-install the whole opm mod,deleted the old one and got me a new one,still the same problem.

what should i do?

Edited by Life on Europa

I'm having a few problems with the beta:

1. The new planets won't load

2. When I launch a ship my save is corrupted.

I recommend a completely clean install in terms of Kopernicus mods. Remove OPM, Kerbol+, etc. Then reinstall OPM. This way you prevent conflicting versions of let's say the Kopernicus DLL. If that's not it, I recommend a fully clean install in terms of mods, to determine if it's incompatibility with some other mod. If that still doesn't work, see if it works when you run KSP fully standard. Maybe a setting like force OpenGL can be the cause.

It's not the templates on their own, that I can tell you. Kopernicus was designed to work that way, even with 1.0. The devs have stated there was no need to redo template bodies if you were already happy with them. With the fixing of the contract disappearance bug, I was. If it didn't work, no-one (including me) would be able to get it to work.

Can you re-add Custom Asteroid compatibilty

Nope. CustomAsteroids is immensely outdated. It didn't fully work in 0.90 and with the complexity of 1.0 I can't use extra sources of guaranteed bug reports. No doubt someone will make a custom asteroids mod for 1.0+ some day. When they do and it works fine, I'll add back asteroids.

FYI, delta-v map updated with new Wal orbital parameters and added Tal. **VALUES FOR BODIES WITH AN ATMOSPHERE NOT YET UPDATED TO 1.0.2**

Thanks!

All PNG textures in the folders beneath the KopernicusConfig folders need to be PNG. The Kopernicus devs explained that those textures don't actually benefit from the DDS format, because they're used by the engine differently. Maybe they even forced it (causing the missing planets in your story) to make sure no-one is unnecessarily using DDS for those textures.

hello,i got the new 1.7 update,and now my ring around sarnus is all bugged out,and lost its colors,and ulrum lost half of hes colors,half white and half of the star is ok.

in 1.6 it was fine :confused:

edit: i re-install the whole opm mod,deleted the old one and got me a new one,still the same problem.

what should i do?

Are you running it on KSP 1.0.2?

Could you post a screenshot of your GameData folder?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.