[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Great update. Am contemplating using it. Just one question.

Will OPM play nicely with Trans Keptunian? As Transkeptunian is Kopernicustech and OPM is Kopernicus (wouldnt know what the difference is but they have different names)

most likely no, kopernicusTECH uses a modifed .dll file of the old kopernicus. Either opm won't load if you use the kopernicus tech version, or trans-keptunian won't load if you use opm's

what i was doing today:

http://imgur.com/a/X1n2V

This will be a whole lot easier once we get another official pre-release of Kopernicus, or forbid even an actual release. I think there's about three different DLLs for the three different major planet packs.

Do you accept planet ideas?

OPM is pretty much planned out already, but you can always try and convince me of your idea.

Thanks a lot for your help.

One more thing, I've submitted a pull request to PlanetShine that will allow it to read CelestialBodyColor configuration nodes from any .cfg file, meaning OPM will no longer have to distribute a CelestialBodies.cfg which overwrites the default one. For this to work the file OPM/CelestialBodies.cfg just needs to be modified to include the intensity, atmosphereAmbient, and groundAmbientOverride fields that the one in the PlanetShine directory includes, and it should just include the configuration for the new OPM bodies, not all of them.

This should streamline the metadata and packaging a lot as well. I would make the changes myself but I couldn't fine a publicly accessible source repository for OPM, does one exist?

Thanks.

No repository exists. Once that version of PlanetShine goes live I'll make the necessary changes to my mod.

@CaptRobau Thanks for updating to 1.02 I just updated my game and this is by far one of favourite mods very nice work, I especially like Tekto, I must ask you was Saturn moon titan from the game 'Spore" your inspiration for this Tekto texture?

Hey all,

I'm running a 12 hour stream tomorrow starting from 1pm UTC. Once I have a colony ship built I will be sending it to Sarnus and beyond. Every subsequent stream will be exploring the Outer Planets Mod. Hopefully some of you guys can drop by and check my progress :)

Here's my stream: http://www.twitch.tv/akinesis_gaming

Eudae55 made the texture, but as far as I know the answer is that it was not an inspiration as he never mentioned it.

Very nice idea then, I just had to know as the first time I saw the planet in KSP the Spore model of titan poped in my mind :D

Eudae55 made the texture, but as far as I know the answer is that it was not an inspiration as he never mentioned it.
Uhhh, no he didn't exactly. Porkjet made the texture and Eudae turned it green and added oceans among other things.

Porkjet provided us with an initial texture, true, but the end result is much more than a simple recolor. Eudae imported the Porkjet's height map into a program called World Builder and tweaked the terrain closer to what we wanted. The color map is based on that and is nothing like the original by Porkjet. Actually took quite a bit of work on Eudae's part to get it to where it is now. A great collaboration between two great artists if you ask me. I personally like Priax more, but Tekto is a close second.

Uhhh, no he didn't exactly. Porkjet made the texture and Eudae turned it green and added oceans among other things.

I don't recall involving you in any of the work CaptRobau and I have done so I would appreciate it if you stopped posting comments on our behalf in cases like this.

Porkjet provided us with an initial texture, true, but the end result is much more than a simple recolor. Eudae imported the Porkjet's height map into a program called World Builder and tweaked the terrain closer to what we wanted. The color map is based on that and is nothing like the original by Porkjet. Actually took quite a bit of work on Eudae's part to get it to where it is now. A great collaboration between two great artists if you ask me. I personally like Priax more, but Tekto is a close second.
Priax is pretty awesome. I wish I could melt it and put it on my sandwich.
I don't recall involving you in any of the work CaptRobau and I have done so I would appreciate it if you stopped posting comments on our behalf in cases like this.
Sorry.

I think that no one realizes how involved in this mod I was. If it weren't for me using RSS to edit PQS and kick off the Kopernicus hype, I'm not sure whether or not CaptRobau would've ever heard about Kopernicus. I also was one of the main contributors to Eeloo being moved to orbit Sarnus.

Sorry to rant but I feel a little disrespected lately.

You were definitely one of the pioneers of the resurgence of planet packs in recent months, I'll never deny that. You helped/inspired me a great deal, especially in those early days when all of our systems were still held together by duck tape (am I glad we don't have to do RSS + Kopernicus + Kittopia anymore :D). But you can't blame Eudae for being a bit pissed, since you made it seem like it was just a five minute job, while in reality he spent hours and hours on perfecting Tekto.

OPM is pretty much planned out already, but you can always try and convince me of your idea.

I have an idea - a planet with a giant crack on it's middle, looking like an eye pupil of a cat (or Sauron), it has a ring just like Saturn and asteroids orbit it (because of the giant crack), there's lava in the middle of the crack and you'll die if you try to land there, the planet has a lot of small craters because of it's ring, and around the crack there are a lot of minerals. What do you think? Yay or nay?

Edited by Unknow0059

You were definitely one of the pioneers of the resurgence of planet packs in recent months, I'll never deny that. You helped/inspired me a great deal, especially in those early days when all of our systems were still held together by duck tape (am I glad we don't have to do RSS + Kopernicus + Kittopia anymore :D). But you can't blame Eudae for being a bit pissed, since you made it seem like it was just a five minute job, while in reality he spent hours and hours on perfecting Tekto.
I know, I did apologize.

And I am so glad we don't have to work with duck tape. The one thing, though: Duck tape is easier than using a saw.

I have an idea - a planet with a giant crack on it's middle, looking like an eye pupil of a cat (or Sauron), it has a ring just like Saturn and asteroids orbit it (because of the giant crack), there's lava in the middle of the crack and you'll die if you try to land there, the planet has a lot of small craters because of it's ring, and around the crack there are a lot of minerals. What do you think? Yay or nay?
New Horizons has something like that. It's a really unrealistic concept if you ask me.

A bit too unrealistic for my taste.

Sorry.

I think that no one realizes how involved in this mod I was. If it weren't for me using RSS to edit PQS and kick off the Kopernicus hype, I'm not sure whether or not CaptRobau would've ever heard about Kopernicus. I also was one of the main contributors to Eeloo being moved to orbit Sarnus.

Sorry to rant but I feel a little disrespected lately.

It's okay to feel disrespected/dejected. I'm not sure what why you're feeling this way but at the end of the day we're all modding for a game we love. If we start taking cheap shots at one another whether it be due to perceived competition, bitterness or whatever it might be, we end up tainting the great collaborative atmosphere we have on these forums. We have a great community and I hope it stays that way as it's rare to find.

So let's keep things constructive and positive here :)

Hello! First off I'd like to say great work. This is my planet pack of choice as it expands the Kerbol system in just the stockalike way that I like. Really love it :)

To business: I believe I've found a bug/glitch in the way that Kopernicus' rings and EVE's clouds behave. It seems looking through the rings 'ignores' the clouds. I'm using the OPM EVE cloud configs by Eleusis La Arwall. Have a look for yourself:

Urlum

Sarnus

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this as it probably has more to do with Kopernicus than OPM. But here's hoping you might be able to provide/find a solution or explanation :D

Edited by jbmacnchee
of != off

Hey, CaptRobau and Eudae55. Someone was complaining about Surnus' and Urlums rings glitching out. I had the same problem in my stream last night and I've been looking at it this morning. It's Active Texture Management. Remove ATM and the rings are peachy. Put ATM back and the rings look like their either z-fighting (probably not actually doing this, but that's what it looks like) or are greyed out completely.

Not a very comprehensive report, but I found that ATM is the cause.

You guys need to get a shifty on with Neidon's moons, because I'm moving through the OPM worlds starting today in my Twitch stream and Neidon is still without moons! Joke, of course :sticktongue: But, seriously...

Amazing work, guys! <3

Edit: BTW, anyone know what the dV is for Tekto ascent yet? It's more than 3000m/s, that's for sure!

Someone was complaining about Surnus' and Urlums rings glitching out. I had the same problem in my stream last night and I've been looking at it this morning. It's Active Texture Management.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same problem but I'm not using ATM, so it can't be that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.