[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

I give up. I've been trying to get this stupid mod to work for months. I finally thought I'd figured out how to make it work, but now all I get is a stupid red screen when I start a game. This mod is completely broken. Disappointing too, I've been looking forward to actually being able to play this.

I give up. I've been trying to get this stupid mod to work for months. I finally thought I'd figured out how to make it work, but now all I get is a stupid red screen when I start a game. This mod is completely broken. Disappointing too, I've been looking forward to actually being able to play this.

Forgive my ignorance, but whats wrong with

1. Install CKAN

2. Refresh

3. Select Outer Planets Mod

4. Go to Changes

5. Launch KSP

Statements like this help neither yourself nor anyone else in resolving the issue. Be so kind to give this helpful thread here a read, follow the steps and then report back. I understand your frustrations, as I think will everyone who has had the joy of hunting down an issue in a 50+ mod install, but your attitude is not exactly constructive.

Edit: and I got ninja'd ._.

wow rude m8

How did your thought process go when posting this?

1. You can't get the mod working

2. Everyone else can

3. Therefore this is uniquely your problem

4. Therefore the mod is somehow stupid and completely broken

Did you seriously miss the logical solution to that that you're making a mistake somewhere?

Scroll up a bit and look at Brunswicker's post. That's how you get help

Now look what you've done. There's a planetwide argument among Kerbal astronomists about whether Jool or Tekto has the most pleasing green color.

...apparently they are calling for volunteer Kerbonauts to fly there and compare the bodies to their skin color... ;)

Oh, so using somebody's else work for free is not goood enough for you? How about you create something yourself instead of taking things for granted?

it's a kopernicus issue, there's a hotfix you can download to partially solve the issue (on kopernicus thread)

Perhaps a link to the Kopernicus thread would have been nice there? For those that need it

Also, can this issue be added to the OP until it's fixed on the Kopernicus side. A note stating that a separate download is needed from that thread to fix the issue instead of nothing. I spent about 4 hours the other day trying to figure out what was going on and finally just gave up at 1am.

Perhaps a link to the Kopernicus thread would have been nice there? For those that need it

Also, can this issue be added to the OP until it's fixed on the Kopernicus side. A note stating that a separate download is needed from that thread to fix the issue instead of nothing. I spent about 4 hours the other day trying to figure out what was going on and finally just gave up at 1am.

The link is right below the download link for OPM, I was on my phone and linking stuff on phones is a pain. (at least on mine it is)

Downloads

1. Choose one of the two available mirrors for Outer Planets Mod (alternatively download OPM through CKAN and let it download, install and in the future update OPM/Kopernicus automatically)

WhwiS8Y.pngWhwiS8Y.png

2. Download Kopernicus, which is a third-party mode required for OPM to work

ypskWRz.png

This version of OPM was designed with Kopernicus 0.1 in mind. Keep this in mind if you choose to update to future releases of Kopernicus before OPM is updated.

As for the hotfix for the issue this is how Kopernicus Main post looks like:

So it's not like the hotfix is hidden in the 100+ pages of thread.

Finally, there actually is a warning in OPM main post that reads:

This version of OPM was designed with Kopernicus 0.1 in mind. Keep this in mind if you choose to update to future releases of Kopernicus before OPM is updated.

And the solar panels issues came up only in 0.2

Edited by Sigma88

so how much do you love me CaptRobau? I fixed the Tekto issue:

admit it, I'm you're favourite! Just fixed Tal too!

Big, big thanks. Here's a shot of how Tekto looks with the custom ocean:

uocHENk.png

The list of outstanding issues planned for the next patch is very rapidly dwindling, which means a release of 1.7.2 is not too far off. It also means I can very quickly start focusing on Neidon's moons.

http://i.imgur.com/uocHENk.png

The list of outstanding issues planned for the next patch is very rapidly dwindling, which means a release of 1.7.2 is not too far off. It also means I can very quickly start focusing on Neidon's moons.

Great to hear, ocean's looking fantastic as well. Can't wait to see our second purple planet get some love!

http://i.imgur.com/uocHENk.png

are those things at 3.9km your wings? :D

FINALLY! A planet mod that adds non-stupid planets. Planning on starting a new playthough soonish, how is the memory usage of this mod?

RAM usage is pretty limited

[sarcasm]

the installation process tho is a b!tch :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

apparently ;)

Edited by Sigma88

FINALLY! A planet mod that adds non-stupid planets. Planning on starting a new playthough soonish, how is the memory usage of this mod?

I've found it not to be too badâ€â€memory usage related to this mod is practically insignificant compared to memory usage for graphical enhancement mods (*cough*Astronomer Interstellar*cough*). I'm only running a 4GB RAM machine, and although I'm forcing KSP into DirectX11 mode instead of running it "normally" (which one has to do with 80-something mods), I would venture that zero of my performance-related problems are attributable to OPM.

Couldn't see it in the OP, I was wondering if there's any issues installing this onto an existing career save? I get the impression that as long as nothing is at Eeloo I would be okay, but would like confirmation.

Couldn't see it in the OP, I was wondering if there's any issues installing this onto an existing career save? I get the impression that as long as nothing is at Eeloo I would be okay, but would like confirmation.

From my understanding of how the persistent file works, i *think* it would be ok, even if you had something landed or orviting eeloo, but I'm no modder so I wouldn't take my word for it (atleast without a backup)

Update 1.7.2 is out!

This patch fixes some long-standing issues and in general just makes every part of the mod feel top notch again. Here's some of the major stuff:

Custom Tekto oceans and dark terrain fix

They looked like water, but the lakes of Tekto were always supposed to be something a bit more exotic just like the lakes of Titan so they're now as black as they look like from space (where the lakes always looked black). The dark terrain bug has also been fixed.

ResearchBodies support

A really cool mod that makes it so that you have to discover faraway bodies through telescopes and the tracking station. In OPM Kerbin's moons and all the planets up to Sarnus are visible from the get-go, but all the other you'll have to discover (if you have ResearchBodies installed). Laythe, Ike, Slate, etc. won't take long to discover, but the smaller ones and the ones further away will take some more effort.

Tweaks to Hale and Ovok

To make the sphere of influence playable, Hale and Ovok had unrealistically strong gravity. And even then the SOIs were too small (you couldn't even get far enough from Hale to scan it for resources). In the latest version of Kopernicus, manually setting the SOI became possible. So Hale and Ovok now have larger SOIs, which makes them a bit more manageable to get too, allows them to be scanned and allows more realistic gravity (which is very low, even lower than Gilly). Ovok also had its spiky terrain made a bit less spiky in this update, making it closer like it was in 1.6.5.

Other bug fixes

Tal can now be stood on by Kerbals, there's a better transition between terrain and ScaledSpace.

Downloads

1. Choose one of the two available mirrors for Outer Planets Mod (the CKAN version should get the update within the day, probably within a few hours)

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

2. Download Kopernicus, which is a third-party mode required for OPM to work

ypskWRz.png

This version of OPM was designed with Kopernicus 0.2.3 in mind. Keep this in mind if you choose haven't updated yet.

Full changelog

-Added custom water textures to Tekto as well as other ocean tweaks
-Removed the double color textures (color/map), because they were no longer needed by Kopernicus
-Added support for ResearchBodies
-Artificially enlarged the SOI of Hale and Ovok
-Reduced Hale and Ovok's gravity to more realistic levels
-Fixed the issue with not being able to stand on Tal
-Fixed the issue with Tal becoming gray scale when transitioning between terrain and ScaledSpace
-Fixed Tekto's dark terrain
-Flipped Tal's biome map to the correct orientation
-Moved the version file from the GameData to the OPM folder
-Reduced the spikiness of Ovok

Screenshots

b2nwjYY.png

07GAZhH.png

Edited by CaptRobau

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.