[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Good idea, I'll give that a try. However, since a lot of my ships are built with those mods, I'll probably at least need Hyperedit to get my newly created, puny craft out there and be able to try this in any reasonable amount of time.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about hyperedit. and also backup your saves!

This is great advice and everyone should employ this methodology to sorting out mod issues before ever bugging modders, but most of the times it is not quick to do, not at all :P

True, but in defence of my annoying mention of the problems here, rather than going through the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling everything, I figured I'd put out a feeler in case anyone had seen something similar before. The forum search tools with this forum software are awful, and even Google can sometimes fail me. Plus, this issue seems to affect celestial bodies in OPM exclusively (other than the bug about Pol, which might be related? http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/3423 )

RESULT:

That said, with only Kopernicus, OPM, MechJeb, and HyperEdit, I have no trouble landing on Polta.

Sooooo....the question then is which mod is causing it, and where does it need to be fixed? Obviously since I'm seeing it, it only makes sense for me to guinea pig myself in order to try and point the modders in the right direction. Only then can we point fingers, and behave like ungrateful, petulant gamers who expect immediate turnaround and perfect execution from people generously volunteering their time.

Seriously, thanks for the mod.

Cheers,

-BS

True, but in defence of my annoying mention of the problems here, rather than going through the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling everything, I figured I'd put out a feeler in case anyone had seen something similar before. The forum search tools with this forum software are awful, and even Google can sometimes fail me. Plus, this issue seems to affect celestial bodies in OPM exclusively (other than the bug about Pol, which might be related? http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/3423 )

RESULT:

That said, with only Kopernicus, OPM, MechJeb, and HyperEdit, I have no trouble landing on Polta.

Sooooo....the question then is which mod is causing it, and where does it need to be fixed? Obviously since I'm seeing it, it only makes sense for me to guinea pig myself in order to try and point the modders in the right direction. Only then can we point fingers, and behave like ungrateful, petulant gamers who expect immediate turnaround and perfect execution from people generously volunteering their time.

Seriously, thanks for the mod.

Cheers,

-BS

I'd bet on kittopia ;)

check if it has anything in the SaveLoad folder

I'd bet on kittopia ;)

check if it has anything in the SaveLoad folder

We have a winner!! Kittopia was doing it. Looking at the mod, it looks discontinued. I'm not sure what I'd need it for, looks like Kopernicus has pretty much replaced it. I'd rather just not use it than delete the SaveLoad files and have this rear its ugly head again.

Any reason I'd need Kittopia?

I also dumped DDSLoader, that thread says it's now part of stock.

Thanks all!

-BS

I take it you use some sort of texture pack such as KSPRC/AVP? they distribute it as a means to add rings and particles. They are all pretty outdated and marked as such. Glad you got it fixed dude!

We have a winner!! Kittopia was doing it. Looking at the mod, it looks discontinued. I'm not sure what I'd need it for, looks like Kopernicus has pretty much replaced it. I'd rather just not use it than delete the SaveLoad files and have this rear its ugly head again.

I also dumped DDSLoader, that thread says it's now part of stock.

Thanks all!

-BS

I'm da man!

YfSOiqBBznkxw8o9QCnxKfIzo1_500.jpg

jokes aside, kittopia is still a useful tool to get data about planets. I use it when I'm designing planets to see if the parameters are calculated how I want.

If you are just playing with KSP you probably don't need it and can delete the whole Kittopia Folder without problems :)

Hey, I contributed to the OPM wiki. I added the pages for Sarnus and used all the data and research I've done on it (for funsies).

Unfortunately the wiki page still looks kind of cluttered and I think the templates don't work 100% yet, as it won't display atmospheric height and I can't for the life of me figure out how to calculate scale height correctly.

Sarnus Entry

Hey, I contributed to the OPM wiki. I added the pages for Sarnus and used all the data and research I've done on it (for funsies).

Unfortunately the wiki page still looks kind of cluttered and I think the templates don't work 100% yet, as it won't display atmospheric height and I can't for the life of me figure out how to calculate scale height correctly.

Sarnus Entry

I'm aware of the error and I'm trying to fix it for a couple of days now, but I can't find what is causing it.

I made this and it seems to be working fine, but it is very customized, meaning rescales are not uniform across all bodies. Smaller ones (Gilly, Bop, Hale, Ovok, Tal) kept their radius and only got orbits changed, Minmus, and if I remember correctly most of Urlum's moons are at 3.2x radius. I also made many changes to masses, trying to base the densities of many bodies on their rl counterparts. If you do not mind any of those changes, feel free to give it a try.

Awesome! I was using your OPM/64k config in 0.90 and I fully intend to continue doing so now that Im finally putting together a 1.0.4 setup.

Quick question though, you include cloud configs for Interstellar, would those still work if I am using the standard EvE?

Quick question though, you include cloud configs for Interstellar, would those still work if I am using the standard EvE?

I was about to answer no, but I just took a quick look at EVE's textures and it seems that Astronomer used the same names for his (much larger) additions, so it might actually work out. In any case, those configs are not very special - if you notice clipping anywhere, editing layer height with the eve gui (alt + n) and copying the working values in the right .cfg under /BoulderCo will fix things in no time.

If a texture location is set in an EVE-config but the texture is not available at that location, EVE will not load anything from below in the config. If the Interstellar config uses 'aurora', 'cirrus' or 'altostratus' it will probably not work.

You can have a look at some configs I made for standard EVE here.

Sarnus Entry

Very well written entry. Thanks!

Has anyone else trouble with Tekto's atmosphere providing no drag when FAR is installed?

Edit: Upon further inspection the issue seems to extend to all OPM planets with atmospheres.

Edited by Tellion

Very well written entry. Thanks!

Hey, thanks! I've been adding more and more to it as I go along. If anyone finds something blatantly wrong, please fix or let me know. I like to theorize about the planets, but learning the stuff on-the-go leads to a lot of errors and fixes.

I just updated the page for Hale. Haven't had the chance to land on it yet... I had one flyby with my Cassini-esque orbiter, and it was gone within 60 seconds real-time. Probably use an ion engine for the lander probe...

Hale Entry

Hello!

Does this mod have any known issues with career mode? I've read that a few that use kopernicus crash in career, but I can't find any up to date confirmation one way or another :/

Can we add our own moons and planets to the Outer Planets Wiki? Because it says "All stars, planets in the KSP universe".

I think it means the OPM KSP Universe. also, doing this could generate confusion for players new to the mod.

But ultimately this is Capt's and Eudaee's decision to make :)

I think it means the OPM KSP Universe. also, doing this could generate confusion for players new to the mod.

I also asked this question because there is a page listing all other planets packs, so I thought it was a "global planet pack wiki".

I have my own wiki for New Horizons (only it needs alot of work done to it), I assume seeing as it's called Outer Planets Wiki that it's solely for OPM, the list of planet packs is just a community bonus. As Sigma88 said:

So I wouldn't start adding random pages about other mods unless you get an OK from CaptRobau, Euadee, or Olympic1(who started the wiki) :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.