[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

In the future Kopernicus will allow custom ground scatters (ie. the trees on Kerbin, rocks on Duna, weird spires on Pol, etc.) and they can even have samples and collisions (unlike the stock scatter). What kind of ground scatter would you like to see on OPM's moons? It's future stuff (I'd need to get in touch with a modeller, etc.), but I thought I'd already start the brainstorming process.

CaptRobau, OPM atmospheres currently do not work with FAR. Try using the RSS values for adiabaticIndex, if I did not overlook anything that will fix it.

Oi. So I take it my mission to Tekto isn't going to go so well then? Lol. Well... Crap. I'll have to try what you said there if I have issues.

Edited by Motokid600

In the future Kopernicus will allow custom ground scatters (ie. the trees on Kerbin, rocks on Duna, weird spires on Pol, etc.) and they can even have samples and collisions (unlike the stock scatter). What kind of ground scatter would you like to see on OPM's moons? It's future stuff (I'd need to get in touch with a modeller, etc.), but I thought I'd already start the brainstorming process.

Hale - jagged; sharp stuff; could be very dark; lots of it; Hale's negligible gravity makes such shapes plausible

Ovok - nothing; it's real life counterpart Methone, has only fluffy surface

Eeloo - nothing; it's stock, and also geologically active as Enceladus

Slate - typical stuff like on Mun; dark brown; could use some sedimentary rocks

Tekto - smooth, low, wide, light green or light brown stuff; eroded water ice

Polta - nothing or very scarce rocks like on Mun; it's also active so shouldn't have much rocks

Priax - similar to Hale

Wal - similar to Mun, with some dark brown mixed in

Tal - light brown/gray, icy, smooth; lots of it

Edited by lajoswinkler

Ah, brainstorming! Let's see...

[bRAINSTORM]

Hale: Large half-buried boulders here and there (impacted meteorites or pieces or Sarnus' rings that were attracted by Hale's gravity and hit the small moon.)

Ovok: Perhaps large arcs or menhirs to give it a very alien look? Or egg-shaped rocks :P (easter eggs?!)

Eeloo: Doesn't Eeloo have stock scatter already? If not, perhaps (if possible) half transparent 'rocks': water ice?

Slate: Given that Slate used to look like Kerbin, perhaps large rocks that closely resemble trees?

Tekto: Weird, alien spires like on Pol to give it an alien look.

Polta & Priax: half-buried boulders (old meteorites), they might look a little mint-colored on... Polta was the mint colored one, right? Either way, on the mint-colored moon of Urlum. :confused:

Wal: Small walnut-shaped rocks

Tal: Boulders of pure gold! (For the win! :cool:)

[/bRAINSTORM]

Nailed It. :cool:

Ah, brainstorming! Let's see...

[bRAINSTORM]

Hale: Large half-buried boulders here and there (impacted meteorites or pieces or Sarnus' rings that were attracted by Hale's gravity and hit the small moon.)

Ovok: Perhaps large arcs or menhirs to give it a very alien look? Or egg-shaped rocks :P (easter eggs?!)

Eeloo: Doesn't Eeloo have stock scatter already? If not, perhaps (if possible) half transparent 'rocks': water ice?

Slate: Given that Slate used to look like Kerbin, perhaps large rocks that closely resemble trees?

Tekto: Weird, alien spires like on Pol to give it an alien look.

Polta & Priax: half-buried boulders (old meteorites), they might look a little mint-colored on... Polta was the mint colored one, right? Either way, on the mint-colored moon of Urlum. :confused:

Wal: Small walnut-shaped rocks

Tal: Boulders of pure gold! (For the win! :cool:)

[/bRAINSTORM]

Nailed It. :cool:

I like the idea of rocks that look like trees, like petrified wood?

PetrifiedWood.jpg

17BD8A7E-1DD8-B71C-0EAF6D60CECEC6E5.jpg

slate would be a very intresting enviroment with scatter like this.

Edited by Dooz

OFF TOPIC:

On vacation with the crappiest internet that exists, but I managed to change the name of the wiki to Kopernicus Planets Wiki.

Contributions are greatly appreciated and I'll update the templates as soon as I get back.

Now I'm off to enjoy my vacation for the rest of the week. :cool:

Yaaaaaay!!!

As someone who added a couple of mods to the wiki, I approve of this message.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry, I will be posting a thread for Hykek eventually. I have to write science results and make a few minor edits first.

Pretty please add it to the list of planet packs on the Kopernicus Plantets Wiki.

http://outer-planets.wikia.com/wiki/Planet_Packs

May I suggest adding an analogue to Sedna? Its orbit would make it completely and utterly unique.

The devs of this mod can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this has been asked before and Capt was hesitant because apart from it's humongous orbit, there's not much we know that makes it any different from what we have. Voyages to Plock already have ludicrous amounts of timewarp, so adding in something even vaguely analogous to Sedna's orbit would just throw the whole concept of waiting for your transfer window out of the window (pun?), pretty much get your trajectory and leave it on timewarp for a looooong time. Missions would stretch beyond what you'd expect a kerbal to live (though it won't matter at the moment they're immortal :sticktongue:). You'd spend a good long chunk of your space program waiting for a "transfer window" depending on where it's put in it's orbit at the start of the game, and if you missed it... well :sticktongue:

Edited by TicTacToe!

I dunno. I think the limited time period factor could add some interest, and a highly elliptical and inclined orbit would make for a more challenging capture burn than the relatively circular orbit of Plock. The time limitation also isn't all that stringent for objects in Senda-esque orbits; Sedna itself currently 88 AU from the Sun and won't reach its closest approach of around 75 AU until 2080 or so.

That said it's really more a body for Trans-Keptunian than for OPM. OPM already has a lot of places and plenty to be getting on with in terms of adding Neidon's moons and making an original surface for Plock.

As far as requests go, have you thought about putting Urlum's moons in a high-inclination orbit like is done in the Sigma Mod Expansion? It's a bit of a compromise having to completely remove the body rotations and there are some wrinkles with Wal, but I think on balance it makes the system more interesting, adds an extra challenge for visiting the moons.

As far as requests go, have you thought about putting Urlum's moons in a high-inclination orbit like is done in the Sigma Mod Expansion? It's a bit of a compromise having to completely remove the body rotations and there are some wrinkles with Wal, but I think on balance it makes the system more interesting, adds an extra challenge for visiting the moons.

hi there, I wanted to make a quick comment here since you are talking about my mod

first of all, thanks for saying it adds something you think is interesting :)

when I do something OPM related I usually send it to capt first, in case he likes the idea and wants to use it for OPM.

this means that if you see it on my mod, he probably have already vetoed it for the main install but has given me the OK to release it as an add-on.

regarding the no-rotation I guess is a matter of taste, sadly KSP doesn't allow for "vertical" rotation so moons with high inclination orbits will keep rotating around a vertical axis.

removing the rotation still leaves the feeling the moons are rotating retrograde, which in my opinion is better than the alternative.

as for Wal, I'm working on a solution to the texture problems. I've already some good results but I'm waiting before releasing to see if I can do even better.

cheers

Sigma

PS:

I almost forgot, if you use the clouds pack Eleusis has done then you will have cloud layers moving around Urlum making it look like it was rotating.

I like the idea of rocks that look like trees, like petrified wood?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/PetrifiedWood.jpg

http://www.nps.gov/imr/pefo/images/17BD8A7E-1DD8-B71C-0EAF6D60CECEC6E5.jpg

slate would be a very intresting enviroment with scatter like this.

Well, Slate being referred to as previously being like Kerbin, I thought it'd contribute to the whole 'doomsday scenario' going on there. I mean: it suddenly lost it's atmosphere and oceans? Well, that means that something very powerful hit Slate, I'd guess a gamma ray burst, and dead trees or things that look like dead trees would really contribute to the feeling of doom and death Slate is giving off.

However, I didn't mean petrified wood, I meant large, thin spikes with 'brances' making them look like trees that were suddenly turned into rocks. That, however, does not mean that I do not like the idea of these rock trees looking like petrified wood, petrified wood looks really cool.

(gets an idea)

Wait a minute, what did I say? Trees on Slate? Wouldn't that make an incredible easter egg? One giant tree in the middle of nowhere?

Yeah, a seemingly still intact tree on an atmosphereless moon wouldn't make much sense. Perhaps a tree on Tekto? Scientists are speculating about life on Titan, so a tree or a fossil on Tekto would make an incredible easter egg.

Also, it wouldn't be very diffrent from Squad's easter eggs: all I say is the 'face on Duna'...

- - - Updated - - -

I'll do it.

Cool, a Sedna analogue! However, Sedna is incredibly far away, would it make much sense to put it very far away like in real life?

Well, Slate being referred to as previously being like Kerbin, I thought it'd contribute to the whole 'doomsday scenario' going on there. I mean: it suddenly lost it's atmosphere and oceans? Well, that means that something very powerful hit Slate, I'd guess a gamma ray burst, and dead trees or things that look like dead trees would really contribute to the feeling of doom and death Slate is giving off.

A GRB would probably not be *that* focused though. Even if the jet has a very small initial cross section, I believe it would cover a very large area after a few hundred lightyears.

Hey! Just wanted to let the devs / leaders of the mod know I finished up my wiki entries for all the bodies.

I skipped over Plock, as I figured with all the New Horizons data coming in, there will be a revamped version soon.

Can't wait to see any new updates or goodies from this mod, and I will continue to do my little science missions and explore and update the wiki pages. On that note, if anybody who knows more about planets than I do sees a mistake on the wiki pages, please edit them or let me know!

I also wanted to say that I love this mod a lot! These past few weeks, while initially exploring these planets, I've learned a whole lot about our own solar system, gas giants, and ice Giants. I also had no clue about Trojan moons or sub-satellites. This is why I love this game and these types of mods. They're fun, beautiful, and educational.

A GRB would probably not be *that* focused though. Even if the jet has a very small initial cross section, I believe it would cover a very large area after a few hundred lightyears.

Erm... nope. GRB's are quite focused. Indeed, if one hit Slate, it'd probably hit a few other planets, but Kerbin might've actually survived, depends on Kerbin's position at the time, the trajectory of the burst, and where Slate was at the time.

Erm... nope. GRB's are quite focused. Indeed, if one hit Slate, it'd probably hit a few other planets, but Kerbin might've actually survived, depends on Kerbin's position at the time, the trajectory of the burst, and where Slate was at the time.

Well, "quite focused" can still mean that you could line up several solar systems in the diameter of the cone. The relationship between opening angle θ and base radius r of a right circular cone can be plotted as a function like this, with r assumed to be ~4.791 AU or 7.1672e+11 meters, half of Saturn's semi-major axis, and θ plotted for 0.0001-90°. Assuming θ to be only 0.0001° and dividing the result by 1 ly or 9.4605284e+15 meters results in a distance of only ~43.4 lightyears. 0.0001° is chosen rather optimistically though, Wikipedia puts it between 2 and 20°. The reason we have not gone extinct already due to one of those is less that the cones are so narrow (though that certainly plays into the statistic) and more that there do not seem to be that many candidates in the milky way that are capable of producing outbursts that energetic.

Oh, and sorry for the OT :D

Well, "quite focused" can still mean that you could line up several solar systems in the diameter of the cone. The relationship between opening angle θ and base radius r of a right circular cone can be plotted as a function like this, with r assumed to be ~4.791 AU or 7.1672e+11 meters, half of Saturn's semi-major axis, and θ plotted for 0.0001-90°. Assuming θ to be only 0.0001° and dividing the result by 1 ly or 9.4605284e+15 meters results in a distance of only ~43.4 lightyears. 0.0001° is chosen rather optimistically though, Wikipedia puts it between 2 and 20°. The reason we have not gone extinct already due to one of those is less that the cones are so narrow (though that certainly plays into the statistic) and more that there do not seem to be that many candidates in the milky way that are capable of producing outbursts that energetic.

Oh, and sorry for the OT :D

Aha! Science! :D

Still, if it was a GRB, Kerbin got lucky. Either that, or the Kerbals are immortal.

Wait...

Ah, nevermind. It wasn't a GRB.

Jeb destroyed Slate, he called me a few minutes ago. I don't know how a Kerbal managed to do it, but he did it.

Couldn't it be explained by the magnetosphere migrating / reversing? During its weakest moment either solar wind or Sarnus' radiation could have stripped away the atmosphere, right?

It's too much of a hack for me. If the devs would add actual axial tilt to the game then I'd be the first to implement it though.

May I suggest adding an analogue to Sedna? Its orbit would make it completely and utterly unique.

Not interested. Far too difficult/uninteresting for 99,9% to get to. OPM is more about things we visited or are/were planning to visit. Sedna is more of an object for astronomers to tackle than it is something for engineers to get too. Other mods like Trans-Keptunian are much better suited for this analogue.

Hey! Just wanted to let the devs / leaders of the mod know I finished up my wiki entries for all the bodies.

I skipped over Plock, as I figured with all the New Horizons data coming in, there will be a revamped version soon.

Can't wait to see any new updates or goodies from this mod, and I will continue to do my little science missions and explore and update the wiki pages. On that note, if anybody who knows more about planets than I do sees a mistake on the wiki pages, please edit them or let me know!

I also wanted to say that I love this mod a lot! These past few weeks, while initially exploring these planets, I've learned a whole lot about our own solar system, gas giants, and ice Giants. I also had no clue about Trojan moons or sub-satellites. This is why I love this game and these types of mods. They're fun, beautiful, and educational.

Thanks for the work!

I need a bit of help here. When I go to the tracking station the extra planets show up but as untracked asteroids. I get this error in the log:

[WRN 02:35:09.738] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From SPACECENTER to TRACKSTATION =====================

[WRN 02:35:09.762] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Khato'

[WRN 02:35:09.790] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Pluron'

[WRN 02:35:09.809] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Tal'

[WRN 02:35:09.828] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Wal'

[WRN 02:35:09.846] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Priax'

[WRN 02:35:09.866] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Polta'

[WRN 02:35:09.885] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Tekto'

[WRN 02:35:09.908] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Slate'

[WRN 02:35:09.966] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Ovok'

[WRN 02:35:09.985] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Hale'

MOD list:

KSP: 1.0.4 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 (6.1.7600) 64bit

USI Tools - 0.4.2

Ambient Light Adjustment - 1.4.4.2

B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40

Community Resource Pack - 0.4.3

Connected Living Space - 1.1.3.1

Contract Configurator - 1.6.4

Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor - 1.3

Contract Pack: Field Research - 1.0.6

Contract Pack: Initial Contracts - 1.0.4

Contract Pack: Kerbal Space Station - 2.1.2

Contract Pack: SCANSat Lite - 1.2

Contract Pack: Grand Tours - 0.1.7

Spacetux - 0.3.5

Contract Pack: Sprite Missions - 0.1

Contract Pack: Unmanned Contracts - 0.3.10

Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.5.3

Crowd Sourced Science - 3.0

CustomBarnKit - 1.1.1

Deadly Reentry - 7.2.2

DMagic Orbital Science - 1.0.7

Editor Extensions - 2.12

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.4.1

Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.15

RasterPropMonitor - 0.21.2

Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.4

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4

Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.1

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Lithobrake Exploration Technologies - 0.2.1

Modular Rocket Systems - 1.7.3

ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.1.1

Final Frontier - 0.8.6.1370

S.A.V.E - 1.0.1.672

Outer Planets Mod - 1.7.2

Part Angle Display - 0.3

PlanetShine - 0.2.3.1

Procedural Parts - 1.1.7

Protractor Continued - 2.5.1

RCS Build Aid - 0.7.2

RCS Sounds - 4.3

Strategy Sanity - 0.4.0.3

SCANsat - 1.1.4.1

SETI-Contracts - 0.9.3

SETI-CommunityTechTree - 0.9.1.4

SETI-Greenhouse - 0.9.2

ΣModExpansion: OPM Recolor - 0.6.5

ΣModExpansion: OPM UrlumTilt - 0.7

ΣModExpansion: OPM Pluron-Khato - 0.7.1

SmartStage - 2.6.2

SpaceTux: Shared Assets - 0.3.6

SpaceY Lifters - 1.0

StageRecovery - 1.5.7

TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.5.1.7

TextureReplacer - 2.4.7

TAC Life Support - 0.11.1.20

Trajectories - 1.4.3

Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.4

Alternate Resource Panel - 2.7.2

Transfer Window Planner - 1.3.1

TweakScale - 2.2.1

Universal Storage - 1.1.0.7

Waypoint Manager - 2.4.2

WernherChecker - 0.4

Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure one of the mods is interfering just looking for direction on which one might be causing this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.