[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Since the name Sarnus derives from combining SAtuRn + croNUS (which are equivalent figures in roman and greek mithology)

and both of them are usually wielding an harvesting scythe I think a cool name could be a play on either the concept of Hale harvesting the stuff from the ring (hence the gap) or the fact that from kerbin the gap in the rings looks like a scythe.

Kassini divison
How about the Chicago Gap, since astronomer George Ellery Hale was born in Chicago.
Going the obvious route, how about the Manley Gap?
Harvest Gap
Kell Gap or maybe Proot Gap?

Already some great suggestions

Since the name Sarnus derives from combining SAtuRn + croNUS (which are equivalent figures in roman and greek mithology)

and both of them are usually wielding an harvesting scythe I think a cool name could be a play on either the concept of Hale harvesting the stuff from the ring (hence the gap) or the fact that from kerbin the gap in the rings looks like a scythe.

I agree.

Maybe the greek mythology figure for harvest? That will then be the Demeter Gap

- - - Updated - - -

OR: because Hale is named after a female shepherd, maybe the god of the shepherds: Pan

Already some great suggestions

I agree.

Maybe the greek mythology figure for harvest? That will then be the Demeter Gap

- - - Updated - - -

OR: because Hale is named after a female shepherd, maybe the god of the shepherds: Pan

I'd avoid using the full name, maybe a mix like Sarnus is :)

and I'd also wait for capt/eudae's opinion, since it's their mod after all

I'm working on a Minor Bodies expansion for this pack. So far I have created Kuryumov. Am I allowed to release this as an add-on?

If you don't include OPM in your download, you can do whatever you want. But then you'll have to make a notice that your mod needs OPM.

The decision lies by the devs ofcourse.

this is really cool! i love the work your doing. adding more planets to KSP has always been a fascination of mine, and i even made a few planets with PF:CE when it was up to date with KSP.

do you plan on adding additional stars eventually, if its possible?

I highly doubt it. Similar questions have been asked here previously but essentially, this mod aims to add planets analogous to our own solar system. Adding new star systems seems to be in the domain of other mods.

this is really cool! i love the work your doing. adding more planets to KSP has always been a fascination of mine, and i even made a few planets with PF:CE when it was up to date with KSP.

I highly doubt it. Similar questions have been asked here previously but essentially, this mod aims to add planets analogous to our own solar system. Adding new star systems seems to be in the domain of other mods.
After finishing Neidon and Plock he'll probably move on to smaller bodies. Other stars aren't that realistic in KSP because they can't be placed very far away.

After finishing Neidon and Plock he'll probably move on to smaller bodies. Other stars aren't that realistic in KSP because they can't be placed very far away.

Eh, I think it's doable. Even if you are trying to make a binary that is supposed to be realistic with regard to orbital stability you can transfer within decades for <100km/s dV - those numbers are definitely achievable with KSPI, probably even with NFP. That needs a mod that allows on rails thrust of course, and higher timewarp and some sort of sleep/freeze mechanic, but it is definitely within the realms of possibility :)

It wouldn't be part of this mod. If I do it, it's going to way into the future. Enough stuff to do within the Kerbol star system

48I8a6v.png

Development is better than expected, however, I am trying to work my way around a certain glitch. In the map view, Day/Night don't line up with what the asteroid/comet/dwarf planet is really supposed to be at the time.

a>

Development is better than expected, however, I am trying to work my way around a certain glitch. In the map view, Day/Night don't line up with what the asteroid/comet/dwarf planet is really supposed to be at the time.

Properly export your normal map to DXT5nm. You will also have to invert your X channel because the texture is flipped horizontally.

If your program does not support DXT5nm export, you will have to do the swizzle yourself.

From a regular (i.e. purplish) normal map that is oriented like most maps (i.e. longitude=0 in the center, before KSP's weirdness):

1. Invert the R channel

2. Copy the R channel to Alpha.

3. Copy the G chanel to R and to B

4. Flip the image horizontally

5. Offset the image 1/4 of its width left. (this is to fix the light offset)

6. Export as DXT5.

Note that steps 4 and 5 should be done for all body maps since KSP expects planet diffuse/normal/height/etc maps to be flipped horizontally and offset.

What do you mean by "properly export your normal map"?

If you use Photoshop you can do this:

Converting from .PNG to .DDS using Photoshop:

6M6FsgJ.png

Note: This requires a plugin for photoshop available from the NVIDIA website.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.