[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

snip
What do you mean by "properly export your normal map"?

What Olympic posted was a comment that NathanKell made in the Kopernicus thread a while ago, the properly refers to as opposed to the "set the opacity of your normalmap to 50%" tip that gets thrown around in response to the question you asked a lot. I had no idea what to do when I read that at first, so I wrote a little tutorial on it after figuring things out with lots of trial and error.

Normalmaps can be generated from your Heightmaps, high initial resolutions are preferred here. The process for doing this right can be slightly daunting at first, but correctly executing it is important for achieving an acceptable standard of quality. Alternative solutions presented for this problem often consist of slaughtering your normalmap's quality among other things, so try to refrain from them.

To generate a normalmap from a heightmap with Photoshop, you will first need the Nvidia normalmap and dds plugins. After having downloaded and installed those, execute the following steps:

1. Image > Mode > RGB Color

2. Filter > NVIDIA Tools > Normalmap Filter, check “Invert Xâ€Â. The Scale option allows you to set the “strength†of your normalmap, experiment a bit! Click ok, and you are halfway there.

3. Next, go to Image > Image Rotation > Flip Canvas Horizontal, followed by Filter > Other > Offset, where you offset by ¼ of your image width.

4. After that, Save your normalmap as dds and select DXT5_NM from the dropdown menu. Make sure that you do not save flipped vertically at this point.

5. :P)

Voilà, you just made a normal map (provided I explained correctly and you followed correctly, that is

6. Note that step 3), for reasons related to the Unity engine, has to be done for all planetary maps in Kerbal Space Program so make sure that your maps are aligned after completing all of them. Also, I think it is a good idea to start with an unmodified heightmap, then change it to a normalmap by all the steps above, then do step 3. for the heightmap and colormap.

I just made a quick and dirty test of this method with an old map of mine and it seems to work,

QjpfKYJ.png
but please correct me if you spot any errors. And all of this really belongs in the Kopernicus thread, so sry for going offtopic.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: The plugin Sigma mentioned is Gimp DDS and will allow you to save as DXT5nm. Following the steps above should be doable in gimp as well, but I can't help with that.

It wouldn't be part of this mod. If I do it, it's going to way into the future. Enough stuff to do within the Kerbol star system

yeah. i suppose right now 'pluto' and the moons of 'neptune' are more important.

who knows, maybe KSP will have another star in the full game eventually.

yeah. i suppose right now 'pluto' and the moons of 'neptune' are more important.

who knows, maybe KSP will have another star in the full game eventually.

I think they excluded the possibility of adding more stars/planets to KSP. but maybe there's room for a DLC or something, who knows

And If I don't have photoshop, how can I fix it?

I believe it can also be fixed by setting the transparency of the normal map to 50%. If that doesn't work, either buy Photoshop or just leave the error in, it doesn't affect KSP's physics so you can safely land on your planets/moons, even when the lighting is incorrect: this lighting bug only shows up in scaledspace, not on the actual body.

I believe it can also be fixed by setting the transparency of the normal map to 50%. If that doesn't work, either buy Photoshop or just leave the error in, it doesn't affect KSP's physics so you can safely land on your planets/moons, even when the lighting is incorrect: this lighting bug only shows up in scaledspace, not on the actual body.

The 50% transparency is an very old fix for this, so please don't use it

Pardon the noobie question here but does this (and Kopernicus obviously) work in Career mode? Somehow I remember reading that there were problems but maybe I just imagined that. Also, is there compatibility with MKS? Any common mod conflicts?

Pardon the noobie question here but does this (and Kopernicus obviously) work in Career mode? Somehow I remember reading that there were problems but maybe I just imagined that. Also, is there compatibility with MKS? Any common mod conflicts?
No, no mod conflicts. Works in Career.

IDK if this was already reported but there's a typo on Teckto's description

description = This moon has a very dense atmosphere for a body its size. Combined with the low gravity, this means that a Kerbal with wings attached to his arms could lift off from the surface of the moon under his own power. Those wings would have to be made of some sturdy materials though, as Tekto's atmosphere appears to very violent.

;)

You can probably also use either GIMP or Paint.NET. Both of these are free.

I use Paint.NET, but, you see, I can only set the transparency somewhere between 1 and 255, the same goes for the color palette: RGB values are all between 1 and 255, so I can't set it to exactly 50%. As for GIMP, I'll look it up and I might give it a go if I think it's worth a shot.

For anyone interested, here is a mock-up using a prototype texture of the Pluto analogue.

That looks fantastic! The perfect compromise between stock KSPs cartoon-like look as well as the unique detail that New Horizons showed us! Despite looked very high quality, it should blend seamlessly with the pre-existing planets. If you're already creating mock-ups of the Pluto analogue, is it fair to assume that moons for Niedon are ell under-way? Or will you be releasing the Pluto analogue before the Niedon system?

That looks pretty good, I can see how it took inspiration from what we now know about the real Pluto.

Maybe a region shaped like a club, spade, or diamond would be a good nod towards Pluto's heart?

And will you be including an atmosphere? I think a nice idea would be an atmosphere that's just enough to cause control issues for an unaerodynamic lander but not enough to shed any useful speed with. Alternatively maybe tune it so that aerocaptures from typical entries are possible but only if the player flies perilously low, lower even than the highest mountains.

That looks pretty good, I can see how it took inspiration from what we now know about the real Pluto.

Maybe a region shaped like a club, spade, or diamond would be a good nod towards Pluto's heart?

And will you be including an atmosphere? I think a nice idea would be an atmosphere that's just enough to cause control issues for an unaerodynamic lander but not enough to shed any useful speed with. Alternatively maybe tune it so that aerocaptures from typical entries are possible but only if the player flies perilously low, lower even than the highest mountains.

I thought this was an interesting pic about pluto's atmosphere

atmosphere_size.jpg
Edited by Sigma88

Does the stock contract system generate missions to these planets? Or is there a contract pack?

Thanks!

(Dem rings! :wink:)

It should create contracts for the OPM planets. If you want to use a contract pack, it can because most packs are compatible with Kopernicus planets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.