[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

If you're already creating mock-ups of the Pluto analogue, is it fair to assume that moons for Niedon are ell under-way? Or will you be releasing the Pluto analogue before the Niedon system?

The only body left for me to make is a Charon analogue. The moons of Neidon have been made already, though there's some testing to do before we release them.

Neidon might be ripe to have a moon or two in a very wide orbit. The real Neptune has that, its outermost moon getting as far as 72 Gm from the planet - further than Mercury gets from the Sun. And that sort of outer irregular moon isn't something I've seen much in planet packs.

That looks pretty good, I can see how it took inspiration from what we now know about the real Pluto.

Maybe a region shaped like a club, spade, or diamond would be a good nod towards Pluto's heart?

And will you be including an atmosphere? I think a nice idea would be an atmosphere that's just enough to cause control issues for an unaerodynamic lander but not enough to shed any useful speed with. Alternatively maybe tune it so that aerocaptures from typical entries are possible but only if the player flies perilously low, lower even than the highest mountains.

Thatmo (Triton) already has an super-thin atmosphere with limited aerodynamical flight properties and I'm not very interested to add its definining feature to Plock. That already has enough stuff of it's own, such as the binary configuration with its moon. Triton also has a thicker atmosphere than Pluto's (relatively speaking, it's nothing compared to Earth's), so if there's one body to have such a thin atmosphere it feels the most fair to give it to the Triton-analog.

I wonder if this API might come in useful for if someone wanted to add something of a tail to Plock too?

Just putting it out there.... :P

Already know it and already implemented part of it. Not the tail feature of the mod, since that doesn't make sense around Plock (tails only happen when close to the Sun). If we ever add a comet to the mod, we'll be sure to use this mod's tail functionality. It's too gorgeous not too!

Give Plock really thin rings which they think Pluto might have!

They weren't immediately obvious in New Horizons approach, so they're even fainter than Neptune's or Jupiter's. If I'm going to add rings to a non-gas giant, I want them to wow people like Sarnus' or Urlum's. It's on the wishlist, but I'm going to wait until the mod's universe is a little bit more complete before deciding on that. In the meantime, Plock's other unique features will have to do :D

Neidon might be ripe to have a moon or two in a very wide orbit. The real Neptune has that, its outermost moon getting as far as 72 Gm from the planet - further than Mercury gets from the Sun. And that sort of outer irregular moon isn't something I've seen much in planet packs.

I know the moon you mean: Neso. While it's a cool concept, none of Neidon moons will have such an orbit. Adding another small irregular moon all the way out there would mean 99,9% of players wouldn't even attempt it. That's just not worth the effort. Its Triton and Nereid inspired moons are already very inclined and eccentric, presenting a challenge for even the most hardened players.

Do you already have a name for that? :)

Yes. Not gonna tell you though ;)

Already know it and already implemented part of it. Not the tail feature of the mod, since that doesn't make sense around Plock (tails only happen when close to the Sun). If we ever add a comet to the mod, we'll be sure to use this mod's tail functionality. It's too gorgeous not too!

Very cool, can't wait to see those implementations for it.

They weren't immediately obvious in New Horizons approach, so they're even fainter than Neptune's or Jupiter's. If I'm going to add rings to a non-gas giant, I want them to wow people like Sarnus' or Urlum's. It's on the wishlist, but I'm going to wait until the mod's universe is a little bit more complete before deciding on that. In the meantime, Plock's other unique features will have to do :D

I agree on this.

Its Triton and Nereid inspired moons are already very inclined and eccentric, presenting a challenge for even the most hardened players.

Will the Triton analog's orbit be retrograde? If this is possible ofcourse.

Yes. Not gonna tell you though ;)

It probably begins with a C

Prograde: Inclination between 0 and 90 degrees.

Retrograde: inclination between 90 and 180 degrees.

An inclination of more than 180 degrees would not normally be given; rather the LAN would have 180 degrees added or subtracted so the inclination is in the 0-180 range.

555px-Orbit1.svg.png

Comets?

Interesting, but I would have added KBO's, Sedna, Eris, etc. first.

Not sure if you were a part of that discussion a while back, but here's my thoughts on KBOs aside from Pluto: they look cool on the map, but 99,9% would never visit them. A short-period comet not only has a unique orbit, a different look from other bodies (hope I can pull off a 67P like shape) and it's a realistic target for more than a fraction of the players.

Not sure if you were a part of that discussion a while back, but here's my thoughts on KBOs aside from Pluto: they look cool on the map, but 99,9% would never visit them. A short-period comet not only has a unique orbit, a different look from other bodies (hope I can pull off a 67P like shape) and it's a realistic target for more than a fraction of the players.

YAy for comets that looks amazing 8D

Yeah, I guess.

What if you added a Cruithne analog?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.