[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Airbrakes help and if you have spaceplane, you can bank from side to side or fly circles to get down your speed. Parachutes can do a little bit, but you'd have to modify the cfgs for them to deploy at the low pressures of Thatmo.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this is too off topic, but which moon do you find harder to land on..

Tylo, or Slate?

Tylo on its own is harder, but Slate does require you to build a larger or complicated ship to get a massive lander there.

I'm pretty certain that parachutes don't work at all on Thatmo. The pressure isn't enough to trigger the parachutes and deploy them, even though they would provide increased drag. Airbrakes are your friend :)

Parachutes do deploy, they just don't do s:sticktongue::mad:t.

I'm pretty certain that parachutes don't work at all on Thatmo. The pressure isn't enough to trigger the parachutes and deploy them, even though they would provide increased drag. Airbrakes are your friend :)

I use Real Chute. It allows configuring the type and moment of triggering.

I seriously doubt it would help anything regarding decently sized manned lander, but it might do something for lightest stuff equipped with lots of large parachutes. I'll test it all.

Just wanted to make everyone aware that I think there is a cpu devouring issue that started with Kopernicus 0.3.2.

Link is here if anyone wants more details: The TLDR version is Kop 0.3.1 -> 0.3.2/3 cuts my fps by over 50%... unfortunately I think 1.8 requires 0.3.3, so if you roll back to 0.3.1 for Kopernicus then only 1.7.2 will work for OPM.

If anyone else is having a similar issue, feel free to add your voice to the Kopernicus thread, I see absolutely *zero* errors in the logs.

Btw, to CaptRobau, thank you for the mod. :) And to be clear, this fps drop happens with just Kop installed, it has nothing to do with anything in OPM.

Just wanted to make everyone aware that I think there is a cpu devouring issue that started with Kopernicus 0.3.2.

Link is here if anyone wants more details: The TLDR version is Kop 0.3.1 -> 0.3.2/3 cuts my fps by over 50%... unfortunately I think 1.8 requires 0.3.3, so if you roll back to 0.3.1 for Kopernicus then only 1.7.2 will work for OPM.

If anyone else is having a similar issue, feel free to add your voice to the Kopernicus thread, I see absolutely *zero* errors in the logs.

Btw, to CaptRobau, thank you for the mod. :) And to be clear, this fps drop happens with just Kop installed, it has nothing to do with anything in OPM.

Well, I kinda expect a performance drop when installing a mod that injects planets into KSP, but a performance drop over 50%? It might be a good idea to install Active Texture Management.

Well, I kinda expect a performance drop when installing a mod that injects planets into KSP, but a performance drop over 50%? It might be a good idea to install Active Texture Management.

ATM would not fix this, someone in the Kopernicus thread was theorizing that it was something about the mod calculating ocean buoyancy every frame versus updating on SOI changes. At least that's what I was reading. Someone might have posted a temporary fix in the thread too, but I haven't had the time to test it.

ATM would not fix this, someone in the Kopernicus thread was theorizing that it was something about the mod calculating ocean buoyancy every frame versus updating on SOI changes. At least that's what I was reading. Someone might have posted a temporary fix in the thread too, but I haven't had the time to test it.
Yeah. I reported it to the Kopernicus guys in that thread, but there's no fix or update out yet. So I'm just using Kopernicus 0.3.1 and advising others to.

If we knew which config in the latest OPM needed Kopernicus 0.3.3 then someone might be able to write an unofficial 0.3.1 compatibility patch, assuming such a thing wouldn't basically remove what the latest OPM added.

*** Kopernicus Beta 0.4 fixes this issue, fps is back to 0.3.1 levels ***

Yeah. I reported it to the Kopernicus guys in that thread, but there's no fix or update out yet. So I'm just using Kopernicus 0.3.1 and advising others to.

If we knew which config in the latest OPM needed Kopernicus 0.3.3 then someone might be able to write an unofficial 0.3.1 compatibility patch, assuming such a thing wouldn't basically remove what the latest OPM added.

Yeah, I wasn't sure you got enough love in the thread. :) So, I thought I'd add some numbers to the mix so hopefully someone realizes this a near game breaking killer for a lot of people - when overclocked intel core cpus can't keep up on a single threaded game you have an issue, lol.

@The White Guardian - That's a common misconception that occurs because of the way KSP handles its memory "management" (if one can call it that :) - no offense squad, love your game :) ) In a lot of other games we see performance increases with texture reducers/managers because those games are constantly loading textures in and out of the memory, and many of those games are GPU-bound. KSP doesn't do that; it loads *everything* at the start of the game. For example, if World of Warcraft did that, you'd need 40GB of ram to play it and it would take about 7-10+ minutes to load from a typical hard drive...

So, ATM for KSP is about one thing and one thing only. Not performance, but rather keeping your game within the 32 bit address space (4GB). Once loaded, the relative size of the textures has almost zero impact on performance on a cpu-bound game.

As a note, I tested my game with just Kopernicus installed (which causes the fps drop), and then with Kopernicus and OPM installed. The difference in fps on the launchpad between Kopernicus (~600KB) and Kopernicus + OPM (~140MB)? Zippo, exactly what we should expect.

Edited by Tig

I am getting this output to the log just before a crash upon load. Is this generated by OPM or by another mod (ATM?) conflicting with OPM?

[EXC 22:12:05.722] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object	ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.SetupLoaders ()
ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.Start ()
[WRN 22:12:05.752] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Arane'
[WRN 22:12:05.787] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Dhar'
[WRN 22:12:05.804] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Es'
[WRN 22:12:05.836] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Flo'
[WRN 22:12:05.869] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Nuu'
[WRN 22:12:05.901] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Oorma'
[WRN 22:12:05.934] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Phoe'
[WRN 22:12:05.966] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Putto'
[WRN 22:12:05.999] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Rheis'
[LOG 22:12:06.014] MFIManager Start Post RemoveModuleOfType. Current modules coVesselModule :
JSI.RPMVesselComputer active=True order=0
ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator active=True order=0
PilotAssistant.FlightModules.AsstVesselModule active=True order=0
SolverEngines.SolverFlightSys active=True order=0

[WRN 22:12:06.422] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Hale'
[WRN 22:12:06.439] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Ovok'
[WRN 22:12:06.471] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Slate'
[WRN 22:12:06.487] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Tekto'
[WRN 22:12:06.519] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Polta'
[WRN 22:12:06.534] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Priax'
[WRN 22:12:06.550] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Wal'
[WRN 22:12:06.566] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Tal'
[WRN 22:12:06.582] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Thatmo'
[WRN 22:12:06.598] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Nissee'
[ERR 22:12:06.598] [PQS]: PQS already marked as started during Start() method. This is probably wrong!

[ERR 22:12:06.598] [PQS]: PQS already marked as started during Start() method. This is probably wrong!

PSA: If you're using OPM 1.8, update your Kopernicus install to version 0.4!

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/tag/beta-04

This should prevent the performance issues some have been reporting. Also, don't forget to completely uninstall the previous version of Kopernicus. If you install mods manually, this means removing the Kopernicus folder from GameData before you put the newest version in there. Don't over write the new one over the old one!

First off thanks for this great mod! I'm particularly in love with Tekto with the cloud mod :D.

Reason I'm posting though is I seem to be getting a conflict between OPM and the Community Resource Pack. Basically sometimes when I switch scenes, most often via Quick Loading or swapping between ships, I end up with a screen like this:

XU9FLVm.png

And several scenes seem to have UI issues, such as the entire KSC being visible tilted on it's side outside the Space Plane Hanger. This persists across all reloads or different save games, and only a full restart will fix it. I'll post my logs at the end of this post, but the primarly NullReferenceException that pops up is

[EXC 12:17:36.226] NullReferenceException

UnityEngine.Transform.get_rotation ()

IVASun.LateUpdate ()

And that simply repeats over and over. I've tested it pretty extensively and I can only get this error to pop up when I'm running Community Resource Pack, Kopernicus and OPM. I've confirmed it's not Kopernicus as I've tested it alone with CRP. With just those three in the GameData folder I can get it to pop up. The NFE doesn't mean much to me, hopefully it does to you, thanks!

KSP Log

Output Log

Alright ladies and gentlemen, the 64K configs are done (sort of).

//The RSS config deviates in some aspects from the regular 64K, should that be unwanted,

using the RealSolarSystem.cfg from 64K will *probably* work with this, provided you delete the entry for Eeloo.

RSS/64K:

-TheRealSolarSystem.cfg file is based off the 24h version; the 12h patch should work just fine.

-The Mun has a heightmap, no idea if that is good or bad :D

-Minmus is now only 3.2x of it's stock size, its orbit remains at 6.4x

-Gilly and Bop have stock sizes, Bop's orbit remains at 6.4x

-Gilly's orbit is at 3.2x of its stock size, since the view is more enjoyable this way :3

-Eeloo now orbits Sarnus (hopefully!)

-RSS .obj files for Minmus, Gilly and Bop are included, this is important for ScaledSpace.

OPM:

-All OPM bodies with the exception of Hale have had their radii and semi major axes increased by 6.4x. Hale had its radius increased by only 3.2x to allow for a SOI above of its surface, though it still is pretty darn small. If you want to increase it for easier encounters, hit up ctrl+p, select Hale under “Planet Selectionâ€Â, click “LoadDataâ€Â, and refocus, the SOI should then be at 59km. No, there is no other way :P

-All atmospheric OPM planets with the exception of Sarnus had their atmospheric heights and scaleheights multiplied by 1.32.

-The gas giants have the densities of Saturn, Uranus and Neptune with according masses and gravity wells. A flyby of Sarnus means ejection from the Kerbol system, last time I checked.

-Hale has a density that should approach somewhat realistic areas, Ovok has its density(but not its size) modeled on Methone. Slate has kept its geeASLvalue, preserving its Tylosan resemblance; and, lastly, Tekto now has Titan's density.

-Played a little with the terrain on slate and hale, no guarantees about it being an improvement.

-Kittopia/Kopernicus.bin files are included, again, important for ScaledSpace.

-Added blank overwrite files for solar power curve and antenna range, those things are being handled by 64k.

AVP/EVE

//WhileAVP:Interstellar v2 does work just fine with 64K for the most part,there are a few things that do not play together well, so I tried to resolve those as best as I could.

-Fixed surface glow layer on the Mun being too low and removed the “Halos†around some of Jool's moons, as well as the cloud layer above Pol.

-Toned down lightning on all planets a lot, removed it from Duna, added it to Tekto. As a side effect, the lightning is a lot dimmer. This is hardly ideal, but I have no idea how to get around that as of now.

-Clouds work out of the box on the gas giants, made atmospheric haze work there too. Failed to achieve acceptable results with the Haze around most of the terrestrial planets, so I left that untouched.

-Tekto's clouds work reasonably well fortunately, however getting the atmospheric haze right will require someone more skilled with EVE than me.

Install procedure:

1.) AVP Interstellar V2 (can be skipped if you dont care about the visuals or your pc has trouble with it)

2.) OPM and 64K, do overwrite everything that comes from OPM, do not copy the "BoulderCo" folder from 64k however.

3.) Install the compatibility configs, overwriting everything when asked. If you skipped AVP, just leave out the "BoulderCo" folder.

What works:

-Sizes, adjusted densities, adjusted orbits

-Rings, clouds (sort of), most of the visual stuff from AVP:I, including lightning for Tekto

-Solar panels (un-)powered by 64k, RT should also work up to Neidon with the proper dish.

Known Issues:

-Hale has Gilly's colormap when viewed from close up outside of Scaledspace, but since this happens on the "stock" OPM as well, I did not really bother trying to fix it for now.

-Not all parts of AVP work as desired with rescales, and the nonexistent documentation of EVE does not make anything easier, I did try to fix what I could though. What is especially noticeable is massive z-fighting on the gas giants - this is nothing that can be easily remedied by configs I am afraid. If its too bad for you, use Alt+N to open the EVE gui and remove cloud layers until you like it.

Do note that there were changes to orbits and radii to several planetary bodies from the last update, so please back up your 200 hour career game before finding out whether this config wrecks havoc on it or not.

Download

Says link stopped working can we have an update?

Says link stopped working can we have an update?

Go here

https://github.com/Tellion/OPM_64K and click 'download zip' on the right hand side.

That version doesn't have configs for Nissee and Thatmo yet so after you've installed that, go into 64k/OPM/64k_OPM.cfg and paste this before the last '}'

@Body[Nissee]    {
@cacheFile = 64k/OPM/Cache/Nissee.bin
@Orbit
{
@semiMajorAxis *= 6.4
}
@Properties
{
@radius *= 3.2
}
}
@Body[Thatmo]
{
@cacheFile = 64k/OPM/Cache/Thatmo.bin
@Orbit
{
@semiMajorAxis *= 6.4
}
@Properties
{
@radius *= 6.4
}
@Atmosphere
{
@altitude *= 1.32
!pressureCurve{}
pressureCurve
{
key = 0 1.01325 -4.26149E-04 -4.26149E-04
key = 1320 0.587101 -3.468265E-04 -3.468265E-04
key = 2640 0.319597 -2.12266E-04 -2.12266E-04
key = 3960 0.162569 -1.18894E-04 -1.18894E-04
key = 5280 0.081809 -6.06615E-05 -6.06615E-05
key = 6600 0.041246 -3.0372E-05 -3.0372E-05
key = 7920 0.021065 -1.51985E-05 -1.51985E-05
key = 9240 0.010849 -7.664E-06 -7.664E-06
key = 10560 0.005737 -3.872E-06 -3.872E-06
key = 11880 0.003105 -1.996E-06 -1.996E-06
key = 13200 0.001745 -1.0565E-06 -1.0565E-06
key = 14520 0.000992 -5.805E-07 -5.805E-07
key = 15840 0.000584 -3.3E-07 -3.3E-07
key = 17160 0.000332 -1.995E-07 -1.995E-07
key = 18480 0.000185 -1.165E-07 -1.165E-07
key = 19800 0.000099 -6.65E-08 -6.65E-08
key = 21120 0.000052 -3.65E-08 -3.65E-08
key = 22440 0.000026 -1.95E-08 -1.95E-08
key = 23760 0.000013 -1.1E-08 -1.1E-08
key = 25080 0.000004 -6.5E-09 -6.5E-09
key = 26400 0 -4.E-09 -4.E-09
}
}
}

It's a bit hacky but it's marginally better than nothing. The atmosphere on thatmo might be a bit strange with regards to temperature (it'll be colder at higher altitudes), and you'll have to watch out for this although you can solve the scaled space problem (if it comes up) by going to 64k/OPM/Cache/ and deleting Nissee.bin and Thatmo.bin

Is anyone else having an issue with jagged seams in the planets/moons?

Some pictures to show what I mean:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This is with just Kop, OPM and MM installed. Nothing in the logs to give me a clue other than the following sections:

From KSP.log

[WRN 22:31:44.098] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Plock'
[WRN 22:31:44.103] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Nissee'
[WRN 22:31:44.108] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Thatmo'
[WRN 22:31:44.113] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Tal'
[WRN 22:31:44.117] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Wal'
[WRN 22:31:44.122] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Priax'
[WRN 22:31:44.127] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Polta'
[WRN 22:31:44.132] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Tekto'
[WRN 22:31:44.137] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Slate'
[WRN 22:31:44.146] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Ovok'
[WRN 22:31:44.150] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Hale'

And a bunch of these in the output.log

Serialization depth limit exceeded at 'ThermalLink'. There may be an object composition cycle in one or more of your serialized classes.

(Filename: Line: 67)

Serialization depth limit exceeded at 'OcclusionData'. There may be an object composition cycle in one or more of your serialized classes.

Serialization depth limit exceeded at 'Contracts.Agents::AgentStanding'. There may be an object composition cycle in one or more of your serialized classes.

Other than that no errors or exceptions in the logs (except for the standard stuff like WheelCollider).

System stats:

i5-2500k OC'd @ 4.2GHz

HD7950 OC

12GB ram

Win7 64bit, running 32 bit KSP

The stock planets don't exhibit this behavior... including the ones that are changed into moons by OPM. Let me know if you need anything else. Thx.

Just picked up the mod, and got to say I'm loving it so far. :)

screenshot123.jpg

Couple of things I've noticed so far... first, even dipping slightly into the atmosphere of Sarnus (~303,000 km) from a near-circular orbit explodes my spaceship almost instantly. I haven't got any heat shielding but still expected I could at least lightly brush the top of the clouds for a few seconds to let Jeb taste the atmosphere... I guess not. :P Luckily I brought plenty of extra delta-v.

Another thing, when Hale crosses the plane of the rings the orbit indicators are partially obscured on the map view. As this happens twice per orbit on an extremely fast-moving moon, it's a frequent annoyance. Any fix planned? See screenshot below for an example.

screenshot132.jpg

Just picked up the mod, and got to say I'm loving it so far. :)

Couple of things I've noticed so far... first, even dipping slightly into the atmosphere of Sarnus (~303,000 km) from a near-circular orbit explodes my spaceship almost instantly. I haven't got any heat shielding but still expected I could at least lightly brush the top of the clouds for a few seconds to let Jeb taste the atmosphere... I guess not. :P Luckily I brought plenty of extra delta-v.

Another thing, when Hale crosses the plane of the rings the orbit indicators are partially obscured on the map view. As this happens twice per orbit on an extremely fast-moving moon, it's a frequent annoyance. Any fix planned? See screenshot below for an example.

Glad you like it!

About the atmosphere, it shouldn't blow up your ship instantly. There were issues with it a long time ago and after that was fixed I remember you were able to aerobrake safely by dipping 10-20 km into the atmosphere. Do you have any atmosphere changing mods installed, like FAR perhaps?

Can't fix the orbit obscuring thing. That's a Kopernicus issue. You can report it in their thread.

About the atmosphere, it shouldn't blow up your ship instantly. There were issues with it a long time ago and after that was fixed I remember you were able to aerobrake safely by dipping 10-20 km into the atmosphere. Do you have any atmosphere changing mods installed, like FAR perhaps?

No, this is the only mod I have installed. Other than Kopernicus and Outer Planets, this is a fresh stock install of 1.0.4. Could be my ship design I suppose, there are lots of bits sticking out sideways... still wouldn't have thought it'd be that much of a problem though. Atmospheric fire effects start immediately when it drops below 304,000 km even with the shallowest grazing, and it doesn't even last 10 seconds before exploding.

Can't fix the orbit obscuring thing. That's a Kopernicus issue. You can report it in their thread.

Ok, will do.

Even if this is unrelated, the issues OPM has with FAR atm are fixable by using correct values for adiabaticIndex. Right now, it has the same value as atmosphereMolarMass and that is a little too far off for FAR to deal with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.