[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Quite busy IR, but I do plan on finishing the biome maps soon so I can start up the crowd-sourced science descriptions for Neidon's moons.

Even if this is unrelated, the issues OPM has with FAR atm are fixable by using correct values for adiabaticIndex. Right now, it has the same value as atmosphereMolarMass and that is a little too far off for FAR to deal with.

Okay, will look into that. Is it okay if I run some values by you when I get to this.

I think that is generally a KSP bug with non rocky worlds because the orbits go through Kerbol and Jool in vanilla.

Also, is Plock going to have 5 moons or just 1?

One, based on Charon. It'll be a true binary system though.

Hello, this is a beautiful and superbly executed and documented mod you have here. I wrote a Flyby Finder for stock KSP, and I've recently upgraded it to work with your OPM planets too. Somebody just had a question about flying by Jool on the way to Sarnus, which I shall use to show what FF can help with in OPM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Note that it is still a bit tricky to set up the flight (especially where to fly by the middle planet, above or below? in front or behind?), but at least FF shows when the windows are. Detailed instructions are in the post.

Now I'm off to build a massive expedition to Sarnus. :)

Hey man. I love this mod and have been using it for months, but haven't actually visited any of your planets until now! Space travel is hard...

My question is, is the surface of Tekto supposed to be this slippery? My rover weighs 18t and crawls on four Kerbal Foundries caterpillar treads. On Kerbin it is sure-footed. On Tekto, it cannot go up a slope of more than five degrees incline without losing all forward momentum and starting to slide backwards. I have to sideswitch like mad just to get over the littlest hill. I know, Tekto is the ideal planet for a glider/flyer and I brought a rover instead, silly me, but this seems a little extreme -- like the whole planet was liberally sprayed with WD-40. Intended?

Haven't tried rovers on my bodies yet, so I have no idea if it's a bug or just a result of gravity or something. Have you had similar results with rovers on other bodies with similar gravity? If it's not a bug, then you would have similar problems on for example the Mun, which has even weaker gravity.

KopernicusTech is old and dead. It was created, when Kopernicus didn't even support basic PQSMods, like Height- or Colormaps. Back in 0.90, OPM (and every other Planet-Map) used KopernicusTech, but they switched to the new standalone Kopernicus when it was more powerful than the Tech version.
And before that, there was Kopernicus Core, which held together about as well as a car fastened with duct tape.

Hey man. I love this mod and have been using it for months, but haven't actually visited any of your planets until now! Space travel is hard...

My question is, is the surface of Tekto supposed to be this slippery? My rover weighs 18t and crawls on four Kerbal Foundries caterpillar treads. On Kerbin it is sure-footed. On Tekto, it cannot go up a slope of more than five degrees incline without losing all forward momentum and starting to slide backwards. I have to sideswitch like mad just to get over the littlest hill. I know, Tekto is the ideal planet for a glider/flyer and I brought a rover instead, silly me, but this seems a little extreme -- like the whole planet was liberally sprayed with WD-40. Intended?

When I load the game, I keep encountering a glitch where Kerbin will be gone. Sometimes the atmospheric haze is present, but Kerbin will be nonexistent. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I also copied and pasted these from the debug menu in game:

[Error]: [surfaceObject]: Cannot return to original parent, it no longer exists.

Followed by statements that various facilities were inactive.

[Exception]: NullReferenceException

Numerous addon loaders

[Warning]: [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From MAINMENU to SPACECENTER (Async) =====================

[Log]: ScenarioTypes: List Created 12 scenario types loaded from 4 loaded assemblies.

[Log]: AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'SpaceCenterFixer' from assembly 'Kopernicus'

[Log]: AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'OceanUtility' from assembly 'Kopernicus'

[Log]: AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'MainMenuChanger' from assembly 'Kopernicus'

Edited by briefcoolman22

When I load the game, I keep encountering a glitch where Kerbin will be gone. Sometimes the atmospheric haze is present, but Kerbin will be nonexistent. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I also copied and pasted these from the debug menu in game:

[Error]: [surfaceObject]: Cannot return to original parent, it no longer exists.

Followed by statements that various facilities were inactive.

Numerous addon loaders

[Warning]: [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From MAINMENU to SPACECENTER (Async) =====================

[Log]: ScenarioTypes: List Created 12 scenario types loaded from 4 loaded assemblies.

[Log]: AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'SpaceCenterFixer' from assembly 'Kopernicus'

[Log]: AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'OceanUtility' from assembly 'Kopernicus'

[Log]: AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'MainMenuChanger' from assembly 'Kopernicus'

Strange. Have you tried fully removing any trace of Kopernicus and OPM and reinstalling them.

I, too, encounter that bug. Most of the time it's another Kopernicus pack conflicting with OPM or Kopernicus in general. Capt is right, try to remove every other mod, then start KSP again. If OPM works, then re-add the mods one by one until the glitch re-appears.

EDIT: Keep Kopernicus and OPM installed, of course! Now that I think of it, KSP sometimes removed my Kopernicus folder for some reason, or Kopernicus would just 'give up', forcing me to delete the Kopernicus folder then adding it again.

I, too, encounter that bug. Most of the time it's another Kopernicus pack conflicting with OPM or Kopernicus in general. Capt is right, try to remove every other mod, then start KSP again. If OPM works, then re-add the mods one by one until the glitch re-appears.

EDIT: Keep Kopernicus and OPM installed, of course! Now that I think of it, KSP sometimes removed my Kopernicus folder for some reason, or Kopernicus would just 'give up', forcing me to delete the Kopernicus folder then adding it again.

Thank you both for the help. I was able to get the game working after taking your advice, thanks again.

That would be one nasty moon

Thank god for insulated spacesuits, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I think that Tekto is made of chlorine, as methane is yellowy.

I'm seconding that. Chlorine gas has a green/brownish color, just like Tekto. I wonder what hydrocarbons the oceans are made of though.

Suggestion: Vesta, Eris, Dysnomia, Charon, Nix, and Hydra analogues, to recreate New Horizons, Dawn, and an Eris Exploration mission.

As for Eris and Dysnomia CaptRobau has said that he will not do any more kupier belt object analogues. Note that Trans-keptunian mod has Eris & Dysnomia analogues (it also has Haumea and Makemake analogues, which makes it great addition to OPM).

A world made of solid chlorine...that's...utterly terrifying actually. Can't it just be nice friendly water ice with some transition metal compound in solid solution making it green?

Solid chlorine? If I understood correctly _Augustus_ was talking about the atmospheric composition. Chlorine's melting point is around -100 degrees Celsius. Now, I don't know Tekto's surface temparature, but I'm not entirely sure if chlorine would be solid at that temparature. However, Chlorine's boiling point is around -30 degrees, so if Tekto's temparature is underneath that (probably), then it can't be chlorine.

Jool also can't be made of chlorine: Jool's temparature is around -70 degrees Celsius, so chlorine would be liquid, and liquid chlorine is yellow(ish).

Edit: found a possible composition of Jool. The molar mass of Jool's atmosphere is 2.8 g/mol, which suggests Jool is made of Hydrogen and Helium.

Edited by The White Guardian

Solid chlorine? If I understood correctly _Augustus_ was talking about the atmospheric composition. Chlorine's melting point is around -100 degrees Celsius. Now, I don't know Tekto's surface temparature, but I'm not entirely sure if chlorine would be solid at that temparature. However, Chlorine's boiling point is around -30 degrees, so if Tekto's temparature is underneath that (probably), then it can't be chlorine.

Jool also can't be made of chlorine: Jool's temparature is around -70 degrees Celsius, so chlorine would be liquid, and liquid chlorine is yellow(ish).

Edit: found a possible composition of Jool. The molar mass of Jool's atmosphere is 2.8 g/mol, which suggests Jool is made of Hydrogen and Helium.

Yes, Tekto's atmosphere is made of chlorine I think.

And for the green surface, I say a hydrocarbon-bromine mix. Oceans are bromine.

Also, FYI Jool is hydrogen and helium but with small amounts of chlorine, Eve has an iodine atmosphere and gallium oceans.

As for Eris and Dysnomia CaptRobau has said that he will not do any more kupier belt object analogues. Note that Trans-keptunian mod has Eris & Dysnomia analogues (it also has Haumea and Makemake analogues, which makes it great addition to OPM).

It takes sooo long, I sent a probe to one of the bodies and it took 40 years to get there :P

But they are surprisingly detailed

- - - Updated - - -

Also, FYI Jool is hydrogen and helium but with small amounts of chlorine, Eve has an iodine atmosphere and gallium oceans.

Those sound worse then Venus IRL

Those sound worse then Venus IRL

Ohoho, Venus is waaay worse than Eve:

- Venus' atmospheric pressure would crush a human.

- Venus' surface temparature is over 500 degrees Celsius while Eve's is around 170. (if I remember correctly)

- Venus' upper atmosphere is full of sulphuric acid, an acid that does not like the human skin.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If I had to choose between Eve and Venus, I'd choose Eve.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but there's no way Tekto's atmosphere can be chlorine. It's far too cold out there, any chlorine would be liquid, if not solid. Same goes with Jool, even at the 'surface' it's still far too cold. Perhaps deep inside Jool there's chlorine, but there can't be chlorine in it's upper layers.

For Eve, iodine is possible, but gallium would be weird: liquid gallium is silver(ish), not purple(ish).

Ohoho, Venus is waaay worse than Eve:

- Venus' atmospheric pressure would crush a human.

- Venus' surface temparature is over 500 degrees Celsius while Eve's is around 170. (if I remember correctly)

- Venus' upper atmosphere is full of sulphuric acid, an acid that does not like the human skin.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If I had to choose between Eve and Venus, I'd choose Eve.

I would rather die instantly by vaporization, then die a painful death of corrosion by chlorine.

Not sure how accurate this is but the kopernicus wiki states;

"The average molecular weight of Tekto's air is 28.9644 g/mol, and its adiabatic index is 0.014. which indicates a composition of mostly nitrogen. Given the green color and the density of the gases, it is possible to estimate the atmosphere is 97.8% nitrogen and 2.2% chlorine.

The liquids on the surface are likely some sort of hydrocarbon, which can indicate a "water cycle" made of chlorine or hydrocarbons. As Tekto is the Titan analog, the lakes probably are liquid ethane."

However the melting point of nitrogen is -210 C and the temperature can be less then that on Tekto.

Edited by nsgallup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.