[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

19 hours ago, Flybuild said:

Dude. You do realize that I managed to get urania and outer planets working together before, its just when I deleted them all (and accidently the squad thing) and reinstalled everything, it stopped working.

Urania was updated for 1.0.5, then 2 à 3 days later a new version of Kopernicus came out and broke Urania.

Because it says that it works for 1.0.5 doesn't mean that it works in Kopernicus 0.5.2

Missing Biomes for all OPM planets, buggy sloppy game play, various errors like "Cannot load preset....[path to biome's graphics]. Checked proper instalment, tried without any other mods, reseted configs, started new career: still same error.

-> Changed back to Kopernicus 5.1: biomes are back, game runs much smoother, other errors in logs, but no effect on gameplay. Did Tekto landing, biome hopping, ore harvest and reorbit successfully since then.

Edited by Schaufel

19 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I see. I presume Plock is next on the to-do list?

Also, I re-installed OPM recently (had to de-install it for 1.0.5), and for some weird reason either the moons or the rings of Sarnus and Urlum have moved: Polta and Priax are now orbiting inside Urlum's rings and Hale is no longer orbiting in the gap in Sarnus' rings. Instead, Hale smashes through Sarnus' rings.

Plock and its moon Karen are set for the next update yes.

The rings is a known problem. It has to do with the way they're drawn since Kopernicus 0.5.X. It needs a tweak in the next update. Not gamebreaking though, so I endorsed upgrading to this version of Kopernicus.

15 hours ago, Schaufel said:

Missing Biomes for all OPM planets, buggy sloppy game play, various errors like "Cannot load preset....[path to biome's graphics]. Checked proper instalment, tried without any other mods, reseted configs, started new career: still same error.

-> Changed back to Kopernicus 5.1: biomes are back, game runs much smoother, other errors in logs, but no effect on gameplay. Did Tekto landing, biome hopping, ore harvest and reorbit successfully since then.

Do you mean using OPM 1.8.1 with the update for Kopernicus 0.6?

11 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Plock and its moon Karen are set for the next update yes.

The rings is a known problem. It has to do with the way they're drawn since Kopernicus 0.5.X. It needs a tweak in the next update. Not gamebreaking though, so I endorsed upgrading to this version of Kopernicus.

Ah, I see. Just wanted to make sure you knew about the issue. I also wanted to make sure it wasn't my computer going apekraken again. I guess I'm going to send a rocket to Hale now and go ring-surfing.

'Karen'... sounds awesome! I can't wait to see the result!

On 12/6/2015, 2:30:35, Poodmund said:

landscape-1447863876-vbljoq.gif

Here you can see Pluto (central) and Charon (outer-orange) rotating around their barycenter. its quite a crazy system.

Hydra looks like it just drank 50 cups of highly caffeinated coffee:sticktongue::0.0:. If CaptRobau is going to add a Hydra analogue, I don't think it should be rotating that fast or else it would be an even more extreme version of J. Kragrathea's Inaccessable.

3 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

I honestly think if he were to make a Hydra analogue, it could rotate once per second. It would be pretty funny.

How would you land on it then? The poles would even be hard rotating this fast.

Heres an idea: Maby make it actully several asteroids orbiting a single barycenter-point thing, Those asteroids are tidally locked and represent hydra as spinning so fast it broke apart.

Edited by Flybuild

1 hour ago, Flybuild said:

How would you land on it then? The poles would even be hard rotating this fast.

Heres an idea: Maby make it actully several asteroids orbiting a single barycenter-point thing, Those asteroids are tidally locked and represent hydra as spinning so fast it broke apart.

In that GIF, Hydra seems to be spinning like a caffeinated top because it is time-lapse. In reality, Hydra rotates about every 0.45 Earth days. Converted to Kerbal Timescales, it would be about 2 hours! That's pretty dang fast! But it still won't fly apart, although that is a cool-sounding idea.

20 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

In that GIF, Hydra seems to be spinning like a caffeinated top because it is time-lapse. In reality, Hydra rotates about every 0.45 Earth days. Converted to Kerbal Timescales, it would be about 2 hours! That's pretty dang fast! But it still won't fly apart, although that is a cool-sounding idea.

Remember, it doenst have to be exactly the same, This is kerbal space program after all, that being said, The idea cant be completly taken out of the picture.

How large will Plock's atmosphere be, or will it even have one? That stellar render (that makes me wish you were adding more than 1 moon of Pluto, just to see a great view of Plock and Karen from another surface) doesn't appear to reveal an atmosphere on the planet. Also, will Karen have a large canyon like Charon?

10 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

How large will Plock's atmosphere be, or will it even have one? That stellar render (that makes me wish you were adding more than 1 moon of Pluto, just to see a great view of Plock and Karen from another surface) doesn't appear to reveal an atmosphere on the planet. Also, will Karen have a large canyon like Charon?

KSP isn't really made to have binary systems. It's not difficult to set up a binary system, but adding an extra moon to the mix would not give a good result.

so basically it's either a binary Plock-Karen or a standard planet Plock orbited by more moons.

I personally think the binary choice is the best, but of course I'm biased :D

Edited by Sigma88

1 hour ago, LaytheDragon said:

No atmosphere. The existing moon of Neidon, Thatmo, has a very thin atmosphere (makes Duna look like Eve). Take a look at that if you want the thrill of an atmosphere on a somewhat cratered, dead-looking world. No other moons as you know, but I do plan on adding custom procedural asteroids to sort of have some small hunks of rocks going around Pluto. So you can see the two big binary bodies of Plock and Karen dance around each other from one of those procedural asteroidal 'moons'. No canyon specifically based on the one in the famous pic, but there will be canyons on Karen cutting through the terrain at a few points.

1 hour ago, CaptRobau said:

No atmosphere. The existing moon of Neidon, Thatmo, has a very thin atmosphere (makes Duna look like Eve). Take a look at that if you want the thrill of an atmosphere on a somewhat cratered, dead-looking world. No other moons as you know, but I do plan on adding custom procedural asteroids to sort of have some small hunks of rocks going around Pluto. So you can see the two big binary bodies of Plock and Karen dance around each other from one of those procedural asteroidal 'moons'. No canyon specifically based on the one in the famous pic, but there will be canyons on Karen cutting through the terrain at a few points.

That's good, to have the Plock system unique. I wasn't sure how close to an analogue of Pluto and Charon you were going for (either way, the Plock system will be stellar by the looks of it). Are you using the new Kopernicus feature for the asteroids (which is what I presume) or are you bringing compatibility back for Custom Asteroids?

On 12/16/2015, 2:24:20, LaytheDragon said:

That's good, to have the Plock system unique. I wasn't sure how close to an analogue of Pluto and Charon you were going for (either way, the Plock system will be stellar by the looks of it). Are you using the new Kopernicus feature for the asteroids (which is what I presume) or are you bringing compatibility back for Custom Asteroids?

I prefer as little mod requirements as possible, so if one day I can do it just in Kopernicus I prefer that. ATM, CustomAsteroids is more feature packed, which I kind of need for the full shebang (ring aligned moons, irregular moons, etc.). If I'll probably do CustomAsteroids until Kopernicus can do all that I want it to do with asteroids.

18 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

@CaptRobau When do you think the Plock-Karen development will be finished? I'm driving the Hype Train for an actual, creative, Pluto analogue.

The goal is before Christmas. Put some time aside this weekend to work on it.

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

Hello, can anyone help me with the OPM clouds issue I've been having? I tried posting on the OPM clouds forum but no one has responded. I am not getting clouds using Avg's cloud pack, even though it claims it supports ACP. Anyone help?

No idea. Hopefully someone else who has experience with this can help you. HELP THIS PERSON PEOPLE!

2 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Hello, can anyone help me with the OPM clouds issue I've been having? I tried posting on the OPM clouds forum but no one has responded. I am not getting clouds using Avg's cloud pack, even though it claims it supports ACP. Anyone help?

1 hour ago, CaptRobau said:

No idea. Hopefully someone else who has experience with this can help you. HELP THIS PERSON PEOPLE!

lol capt.

@TaintedLion I've answered you now :) sorry for the delay but with the forum changes I've lost track of that thread :D

20 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

I have some experience with E.V.E, so perhaps I can help. However, I need to know a few things first:

- What version of E.V.E are you using? The older version (KSP 0.24, that direction) or the latest reboot (1.0.5)?

- Could you paste the contents of the OPM clouds script file in your GameData folder?

- Could you give me the names of the cloud textures, and their filepath? (GameData/BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures or GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures?)

- Could you describe the issue: are the clouds not showing up, or does the game crash when entering a building?

- Is there a special PQS file with content like this somewhere in the GameData folder (but instead of 'Jool' it reads 'Sarnus', 'Urlum' or 'Neidon'):

PQS_MANAGER
{
	Jool
	{
		deactivateDistance = 175000
	}
}

Explanation:

Since the 1.0.5 reboot gas giants need a special, extra PQS mod added by E.V.E. Adding clouds to a gas giant who hasn't got this PQS mod will result in a glitch when entering a building.

If the problem is the clouds not showing up, perhaps you are using the E.V.E reboot in combination with a config designed for an older version of E.V.E which obviously doesn't work since they use diffrent config file setups. Needless to say I will soon try to update the clouds to the rebooted version, PQS file included.

Another cause of the problem can be an incorrect filepath of something missing in the config, therefor I need to see the cloud config and therefor I need to know the folder setup in the BoulderCo folder: KSP may be looking for a 'Clouds' folder while the folder is actually named 'Atmosphere'. In this case the game is trying to load a texture that it cannot find.

16 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I have some experience with E.V.E, so perhaps I can help. However, I need to know a few things first:

- What version of E.V.E are you using? The older version (KSP 0.24, that direction) or the latest reboot (1.0.5)?

- Could you paste the contents of the OPM clouds script file in your GameData folder?

- Could you give me the names of the cloud textures, and their filepath? (GameData/BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures or GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures?)

- Could you describe the issue: are the clouds not showing up, or does the game crash when entering a building?

- Is there a special PQS file with content like this somewhere in the GameData folder (but instead of 'Jool' it reads 'Sarnus', 'Urlum' or 'Neidon'):

PQS_MANAGER
{
	Jool
	{
		deactivateDistance = 175000
	}
}

Explanation:

Since the 1.0.5 reboot gas giants need a special, extra PQS mod added by E.V.E. Adding clouds to a gas giant who hasn't got this PQS mod will result in a glitch when entering a building.

If the problem is the clouds not showing up, perhaps you are using the E.V.E reboot in combination with a config designed for an older version of E.V.E which obviously doesn't work since they use diffrent config file setups. Needless to say I will soon try to update the clouds to the rebooted version, PQS file included.

Another cause of the problem can be an incorrect filepath of something missing in the config, therefor I need to see the cloud config and therefor I need to know the folder setup in the BoulderCo folder: KSP may be looking for a 'Clouds' folder while the folder is actually named 'Atmosphere'. In this case the game is trying to load a texture that it cannot find.

He is using @Eleusis La Arwall mod (which I helped developing)

That mod is not updated yet so the problem is he was trying to use new EVE with it.

I'm currently thinking about fixing the mod but I can't get a hold on eleusis and I'm still trying to reproduce the effects eleusis was getting.

Anyway, thanks for the pqs tip, that thing made me scratch my head for a while

Edited by Sigma88

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.